Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starsong

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

chutzpah wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
I played all coy like oooo that sucks but in my head I was like, she's a TLS-er

I generally like to keep my interwebs life and my real life seaperate ha

Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us. Also pretty awesome that he brought us into the int'l law journal offices and didn't even mention he was the incoming Ed in Chief until one of the staffers called him out on it.

Now that you know who I am you have to keep my identity secret. Also, I had a pretty big epiphany during the day and I don't think I'm going to law school next year. Not because of Fordham, but a convo w Dean Treanor did play a part. Also awesome that he took the time to chat with me for quite a while after lunch.

I'll say this -- If I was sure I wanted to practice law in NY I would definitely be heading to Fordham. They convinced me that its an outstanding place to learn the "craft of lawyering", whereas some higher ranked schools lack the same focus on practical, pragmatic education. My issue is that I'm not sure that I want to practice law and I have a non-law grad school option that i think will help me achieve my goals and be more enjoyable than law school (for me).

Uh yea, so I'm happy to go on about the ASD via this thread or PM. Whatever helps you guys

That's awesome, so you're going to take the Kennedy School? Talk about tremendous career opportunities. Good move!

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm

danidancer wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us.

Not at ALL! If you hadn't asked, I definitely would have brought it up!

For those of us who weren't there, what was the answer? :-)

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

starsong wrote:
danidancer wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us.

Well, Matthew said it doesn't at all reflect the quality of the legal education, which makes sense since the professors are really the most important part of your education.

That's the sentiment we got from the student panel as well. They're cool with sometimes running into a glitch, and people are responsive when you bring it to their attention. I think the people in administration look for ways to get around the problems if you bug them about it. Most of the problems come from the university taking over some of the administrative duties that were once done at the law school level and not being able to work the kinks out yet.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

starsong wrote:
danidancer wrote:

In a nutshell, the answer was that it didn't negatively affect the quality of education, but there were some annoying things that sometimes took a few days to get fixed. Our guide mentioned that his name was misspelled in the registrar's records and it was a pain in the butt to get fixed. That said, he noted that he always had excellent personal interactions with the administration.

In the panel, one student said they thought the issues came with the greater involvement of Fordham University in the law school's activities and administration.

An example of this (already mentioned above) was that a small group of students did not have their loans disbursed until November and therefore were not able to pay tuition, rent, etc. This was a problem caused by the University and the law school was able to issue emergency loans quickly to cover the gap.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 pm

sibley wrote:I don't think classrooms are ever going to look nice. At my Cardozo tour they didn't even show us the classrooms... only one that looked like the semi-circle one at Fordham. But how long are you going to spend in class? Not nearly as much as you'll spend somewhere studying, etc. It's interesting that every school calls their lgbt etc group OUTlaw. I guess it's funny, but still... every school.

When I visited I met someone who was on Law Review. He was a really nice guy and going to hold some position the next year.

Georgetown's classrooms are beautiful, but that's to be expected--their facilities are a major selling point for them. Personally, I'd rather have amazing career chances than all the oak panel and marble columns in the world. Fordham has the former, and isn't afraid to post very detailed career statistics to prove it. That's what I'm looking for in a law school.

(note: I'm not saying Georgetown doesn't offer great career potential, but their published career stats are a joke compared to Fordham's. GULC does have a dazzling workout center, though. It's all about priorities, I guess...)

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

starsong wrote:That's awesome, so you're going to take the Kennedy School? Talk about tremendous career opportunities. Good move!

Yup, that's it... I think. Unless I change my mind again. I have never really been excited about law school, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm extremely excited about Kennedy.

Thanks for the nice words. :)
Last edited by chutzpah on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm

chutzpah wrote:
starsong wrote:That's awesome, so you're going to take the Kennedy School? Talk about tremendous career opportunities. Good move!

Yup, that's it... I think. Unless I change my mind again. I have never really been excited about law school, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm extremely excited about Kennedy. Thank you. :)

You're going to Haavaad. That will set you apart for the rest of your life. Congrats again!

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm

starsong wrote:
chutzpah wrote:

Yup, that's it... I think. Unless I change my mind again. I have never really been excited about law school, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm extremely excited about Kennedy. Thank you. :)

You're going to Haavaad. That will set you apart for the rest of your life. Congrats again!

yeah congrats =) a harvard law grad was all for taking the big name... plus you love the program, yeah? and you're right... there are a lot of ways to get into what you want to be doing.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Aw shucks, thanks guys.

Let me say to everyone else: Fordham is great. Go there.

My biggest gripe, as a New Yorker, is when the sales pitch claims its "in the heart of the upper west side". I consider the area around 79th the true center of the UWS. The west 60s are just barely outside of midtown. ;)

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:57 pm

chutzpah wrote:Aw shucks, thanks guys.

My biggest gripe, as a New Yorker, is when the sales pitch claims its "in the heart of the upper west side". I consider the area around 79th the true center of the UWS. The west 60s are just barely outside of midtown. ;)

When you withdraw... recommend me? ...I promise not to threaten to sue them.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I regret to inform you all I will not be going to Fordham. It looks like BU for me, I wish you all the best of luck with the rest of the cycle and law school!

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:I regret to inform you all I will not be going to Fordham. It looks like BU for me, I wish you all the best of luck with the rest of the cycle and law school!

congrats on your decision!!!

I think I have an adcomm stalking me. Someone with 1 post pmed me asking me if I was set on WashU and then asking where I went to undergrad. I responded by saying that if they're an adcomm they have to excuse me for my georgetown freakout, as I was upset and it's the internet so it's really anonymous only...and I only made 1 freakout post, the rest were made by other people. Then I answered his questions.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 am

chutzpah wrote:

Yup, that's it... I think. Unless I change my mind again. I have never really been excited about law school, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm extremely excited about Kennedy.

sounds like a good decision. very exciting- congrats!!! :D

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am

sibley wrote:and I only made 1 freakout post

I have no idea what this is referring to, but, false. :mrgreen:

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:50 am

even2flow wrote:

you are a butt =P

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 am

sibley wrote:
even2flow wrote:

you are a butt =P

You missed me.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 am

even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:
even2flow wrote:

you are a butt =P

You missed me.

true

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 am

Speaking of that, any tips on finding cheap apartments in the area? I've found reasonable prices in places like 79th, but it would be nice to be a little closer.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 am

starsong wrote:

Speaking of that, any tips on finding cheap apartments in the area? I've found reasonable prices in places like 79th, but it would be nice to be a little closer.

the other thread had a link posted: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fordhamlawhousing/... seems sketch I guess though.

cheap housing would probably = no convenient subway stops

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

starsong wrote:

79th is too far?? i live in Sheepshead Bay :( :( :(

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:02 am

hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:

hannah! what's up with you lately? made any decisions?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:

hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:79th is too far?? i live in Sheepshead Bay :( :( :(

hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

yeah I got the packet! I loved the rubber band, lol. I was actually a little disappointed by it though. The letter was all "courses! woohoo!" but it was really just promotional materials. I want the real coursebook. I want to see what I can take!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:13 am

chutzpah wrote:

So very jealous. Good Luck!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:14 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:79th is too far?? i live in Sheepshead Bay :( :( :(

yeah I got the packet! I loved the rubber band, lol. I was actually a little disappointed by it though. The letter was all "courses! woohoo!" but it was really just promotional materials. I want the real coursebook. I want to see what I can take!

Does the packet include forms to fill out? Or information about sending in deposits?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”