Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jacinda

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Jacinda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm

unfortunately I don't think adcomms delve that deeply into it.[/quote]
LOL my friend told me it. She said they need more representation in the legal field. Anyhow URM or not, I was just going by her. I'll meet you if I get in!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:15 pm

sibley wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
rofl ding-a-ling! Nice way to change it! I'm a Chinese disabled women.

i didn't know that chinese counted as a URM. or is it because it's coupled with the disability? sorry if that's a dumb question, i'm genuinely curious.

I think it's because it's coupled with the disability and woman. I went to Berkeley. You know how there's like a bazillion Asians/Chinese. There were only three disabled Chinese women. There were Chinese disabled men but women are rare. It's part of the culture - lock your disabled girl child up and don't educate her.

unfortunately I don't think adcomms delve that deeply into it.

i think it's wayyy less that she's chinese and way more that she's disabled. the chinese woman part is irrelevant i think.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Kim617 wrote:

I think it's because it's coupled with the disability and woman. I went to Berkeley. You know how there's like a bazillion Asians/Chinese. There were only three disabled Chinese women. There were Chinese disabled men but women are rare. It's part of the culture - lock your disabled girl child up and don't educate her.

unfortunately I don't think adcomms delve that deeply into it.[/quote]
i think it's wayyy less that she's chinese and way more that she's disabled. the chinese woman part is irrelevant i think.[/quote][/quote]

Ok now I'm just confused. My brothers always tease me about identity issues lol!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:36 pm

ASD quick pointds (for anyone who cares):

*Fordham's location is marvelous. Truly stunning. A block from Columbus Circle, a block from Lincoln Center, a block from Central Park. As the dean said, Fordham has the best location of any law school in the universe.

*Fordham's facilities blow. There is no getting around that. The students and faculty both ackowledge it. However, as much as I thought this was going to persuade me not to come, by the end of the day the place kind of grew on me. Kind of like an old pair of beat up jeans you still wear cause they're super comfortable.

* There are going to be epic douche bags and gunners at any school. At Fordham I feel as if this will be kept to a minimum.

* The head of career services and both deans (Brown and Treanor) were pretty awesome.

*Fordham is a damned hard school to get in to. Pat yourself on the back, I met a lot of really smart but down to Earth people there.

* Got a good chuckle out of the mock class. The professor was pretty sweet and grilled some gunners in the making

* I think Fordham puts a lot of thought into who they're going to accept. AGAIN, I met some pretty sweet people.

* Everyone at the school seemed to be happy they were there. Lots of people butting into our tour guides talking points to talk about certain things.

* Class of 2009 employment stats are damned impressive. I wish I had the paper still, or else I would just scan it and post em here. I think this is a product of the awesome career services.

* Did I mention career services seems frickin awesome?

* Public interest at Fordham is DAMNED awesome,. I will have a hard time deciding which path I want to pursue. There are some seriously great opportunities to get involved at Fordham and in the community. Fordham is not just about big law and I don;t have nearly enough time to get into the opportunities.

* This years OCI was a slaughter fest. Seriously bad. Every 2L acknowledges this. Times are rough at any law school as everyone knows. I included this point because I know someone was going to bring it up.

* There are going to be some epic gunners in my incoming class.

*The student panel was awesome. For the most part, kids at Fordham are really down to Earth and honest about life at Fordham.

Did Fordham convince me to throw down a seat deposit? No. Am I truly thankful to have this option? HELL YEA. I am still waiting for schools and if I get a WUSTL acceptance things will get REAL complicated. Fordham def has its shit together and I am so so so happy I got in (not to be braggy). I did not put much thought into it at the beginning but now I understand why some kids are so damned happy to be at Fordham.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:ASD quick pointds (for anyone who cares)...

Wow, thanks! Couldn't make it, so really appreciate the summary!

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:21 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:ASD quick pointds (for anyone who cares):

* Class of 2009 employment stats are damned impressive. I wish I had the paper still, or else I would just scan it and post em here. I think this is a product of the awesome career services.

* Did I mention career services seems frickin awesome?

I still have this if anyone wants to see it, but most of the info is on the website anyway

I got a good impression from the school as well. Not amazing, but a "good" school. I had taken a tour before, but that was after work. The school looks better in the daytime.

The classrooms are definitely the worst I've seen at any law school, but Fordham's also the lowest ranked school I've been to see and their budget is much less.

Students seem to be happy with the quality of the legal education and because of this, they are okay with the below par facilities and administration (housing issues, website issues, financial aid loans not sent to them until mid-December!)

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:45 pm

jl2032 wrote:The classrooms are definitely the worst I've seen at any law school, but Fordham's also the lowest ranked school I've been to see and their budget is much less.

Thank you for this summary! Did you happen to see if there are power outlets for laptops?

jl2032 wrote:Students seem to be happy with the quality of the legal education and because of this, they are okay with the below par facilities and administration (housing issues, website issues, financial aid loans not sent to them until mid-December!)

Really? Ouch, that could seriously impact my cash flow. You're kidding, right?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:01 pm

starsong wrote:
jl2032 wrote:The classrooms are definitely the worst I've seen at any law school, but Fordham's also the lowest ranked school I've been to see and their budget is much less.

Thank you for this summary! Did you happen to see if there are power outlets for laptops?

jl2032 wrote:Students seem to be happy with the quality of the legal education and because of this, they are okay with the below par facilities and administration (housing issues, website issues, financial aid loans not sent to them until mid-December!)

Really? Ouch, that could seriously impact my cash flow. You're kidding, right?

Uhhh. Well no he/she is not kidding. Apparently, earlier on in the year, the schooll was late dispersing loans but fordham law basically fronted the money for anyone who was still waiting for their loans to disperse. There are little administrative horror stories floating around out there, but none so far that would discourage me from enrolling.

I think the student body is pretty interesting. Lotsa people who adore fordham and lotsa people who feel they would be "setteling" for Fordham...this can be a bad thing as the latter group probably tends to be a little more douchey/thinking their better than everyone else there. I don't know how I feel about that...I want to be at a schoo where just about everyone is happy they came. I know there are some very grumpy people at Fordham.

I would LOVE for OS to come in here and give her two cents about the student body there....

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:33 pm

starsong wrote:Did you happen to see if there are power outlets for laptops?

All the classrooms I saw yesterday had them.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:33 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Uhhh. Well no he/she is not kidding. Apparently, earlier on in the year, the schooll was late dispersing loans but fordham law basically fronted the money for anyone who was still waiting for their loans to disperse. There are little administrative horror stories floating around out there, but none so far that would discourage me from enrolling.

I think we were on the same tour. :D

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:38 pm

danidancer wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Uhhh. Well no he/she is not kidding. Apparently, earlier on in the year, the schooll was late dispersing loans but fordham law basically fronted the money for anyone who was still waiting for their loans to disperse. There are little administrative horror stories floating around out there, but none so far that would discourage me from enrolling.

Yea, I think I figured out who you were :D

You were the one where they didn't look at your Feb score?

I played all coy like oooo that sucks but in my head I was like, she's a TLS-er

I generally like to keep my interwebs life and my real life seaperate ha

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Ah, OK, that is a totally different story. There was an administrative mistake, but the law school made sure everybody had their money on-time, right? I was worried for a second that I wouldn't have rent money until December...

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 pm

starsong wrote:

Ah, OK, that is a totally different story. There was an administrative mistake, but the law school made sure everybody had their money on-time, right? I was worried for a second that I wouldn't have rent money until December...

That's cool of the school to make it right. I wonder if someone got fired for that.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:48 pm

danidancer wrote:
starsong wrote:Did you happen to see if there are power outlets for laptops?

All the classrooms I saw yesterday had them.

Thanks. Good to know, some of my UG classrooms have no power outlets which makes VERY long battery life essential.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm

sibley wrote:
starsong wrote:

That's cool of the school to make it right. I wonder if someone got fired for that.

It was a fordham problem to a fordham "law" problem....

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:I think the student body is pretty interesting. Lotsa people who adore fordham and lotsa people who feel they would be "setteling" for Fordham...this can be a bad thing as the latter group probably tends to be a little more douchey/thinking their better than everyone else there. I don't know how I feel about that...I want to be at a schoo where just about everyone is happy they came. I know there are some very grumpy people at Fordham.

A good attitude goes a long way towards success in my book. There are entitled people everywhere, I would just ignore them, let them rot in their misery. Seriously, you and plenty of others are very excited about achieving your career goals, who cares about their whining?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:09 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
danidancer wrote:

Haha, nope, not me. I actually kept a very low profile yesterday, asking a few questions here and there and chatting a bit with my lunch group, but otherwise keeping my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. :D

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

danidancer wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
danidancer wrote:

Haha, nope, not me. I actually kept a very low profile yesterday, asking a few questions here and there and chatting a bit with my lunch group, but otherwise keeping my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. :D

I loved some of the answers in the mock class lol! Kids were super eager to talk I was surprised...

On another note, the topic for the mock class was identical to the one at OSUs admitted stuents day....

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm sure many of you saw this already, but for those interested in biglaw from Fordham, here's a nice tidbit:

Layoffs Highest Among Top-School Grads
http://lawshucks.com/2010/03/layoffs-hi ... ool-grads/
However, there is a large (both economically and statistically) effect from the interaction of recent graduation and graduating from a Top 10 school. This means that, relative to other new graduates and other graduates of Top 10 schools, new graduates of Top 10 school are more likely to be laid off.

(quoted from "White Drives Turnover and Layoffs at Large Law Firms?", Paul Oyer and Scott Schaefer; emphasis from lawshucks quote)
Last edited by starsong on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 pm

OS, will you do your legendary 3am cab ride for us again this year???
does anyone know anyone who works at USNews?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us. Also pretty awesome that he brought us into the int'l law journal offices and didn't even mention he was the incoming Ed in Chief until one of the staffers called him out on it.

Now that you know who I am you have to keep my identity secret. Also, I had a pretty big epiphany during the day and I don't think I'm going to law school next year. Not because of Fordham, but a convo w Dean Treanor did play a part. Also awesome that he took the time to chat with me for quite a while after lunch.

I'll say this -- If I was sure I wanted to practice law in NY I would definitely be heading to Fordham. They convinced me that its an outstanding place to learn the "craft of lawyering", whereas some higher ranked schools lack the same focus on practical, pragmatic education. My issue is that I'm not sure that I want to practice law and I have a non-law grad school option that i think will help me achieve my goals and be more enjoyable than law school (for me).

Uh yea, so I'm happy to go on about the ASD via this thread or PM. Whatever helps you guys

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm

chutzpah wrote:Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us.

Not at ALL! If you hadn't asked, I definitely would have brought it up!

chutzpah wrote:Also pretty awesome that he brought us into the int'l law journal offices and didn't even mention he was the incoming Ed in Chief until one of the staffers called him out on it.

+1. He was seriously awesome. The tour definitely ended the day on a good note for me.

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm

danidancer wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Yea, that was me asking if the administration's disorganization has tangible impacts on quality of education. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk but I was honestly trying to get a truthful answer and I think our guide gave it to us.

Not at ALL! If you hadn't asked, I definitely would have brought it up!

chutzpah wrote:Also pretty awesome that he brought us into the int'l law journal offices and didn't even mention he was the incoming Ed in Chief until one of the staffers called him out on it.

+1. He was seriously awesome. The tour definitely ended the day on a good note for me.

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!!

I'm impressed that you guys still had energy to tour. By the time the panel got out around 5:10 I was totally wiped. What did I miss that wasn't on the self-guided tour (did that way back in September)?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

tesoro wrote:
I'm impressed that you guys still had energy to tour. By the time the panel got out around 5:10 I was totally wiped. What did I miss that wasn't on the self-guided tour (did that way back in September)?

Our tour guide was named Matthew something and was the co-chair of the OUTLAWS and on the int'l law journal and probably involved in a million different things. He was on the student panel (green sweater) and in the PI info session. He was awesome and the random students were all very happy to chime in. Like we walked past a kid checking in people for the moot court competition and he gave us the moot court schpiel and then some award winning moot court competitor walked by and he talked to us about it. Matthew brought us to the int'l law journal offices and the students in their talked to us. Then we stood and chatted in the cafeteria and someone asked about the gym in the dorm and he said he wasn't sure what was in it, and a random 1L who was studying with ear plugs turned around and told us about the gym! So yea maybe the classrooms were ugly but the people were all very warm and welcoming.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 pm

chutzpah wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Our tour guide was named Matthew something and was the co-chair of the OUTLAWS and on the int'l law journal and probably involved in a million different things. He was on the student panel (green sweater) and in the PI info session. He was awesome and the random students were all very happy to chime in. Like we walked past a kid checking in people for the moot court competition and he gave us the moot court schpiel and then some award winning moot court competitor walked by and he talked to us about it. Matthew brought us to the int'l law journal offices and the students in their talked to us. Then we stood and chatted in the cafeteria and someone asked about the gym in the dorm and he said he wasn't sure what was in it, and a random 1L who was studying with ear plugs turned around and told us about the gym! So yea maybe the classrooms were ugly but the people were all very warm and welcoming.

I don't think classrooms are ever going to look nice. At my Cardozo tour they didn't even show us the classrooms... only one that looked like the semi-circle one at Fordham. But how long are you going to spend in class? Not nearly as much as you'll spend somewhere studying, etc. It's interesting that every school calls their lgbt etc group OUTlaw. I guess it's funny, but still... every school.

When I visited I met someone who was on Law Review. He was a really nice guy and going to hold some position the next year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”