Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockthelaw

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 am

even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:"Even Flow" was my audition song for a band a few years back. Really fun audition.

In my band we played Alive a lot b/c the guitarist could never get Even Flow right. Also they were a bunch of pop/punker hippies and I was the only one who wanted to play rock.

Oh, my last band used to play "Alive" at every gig. The singer couldn't handle it, but that solo at the end just melts faces (sorry for the hippie-centric term). I love to melt faces.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:33 am

rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:"Even Flow" was my audition song for a band a few years back. Really fun audition.

In my band we played Alive a lot b/c the guitarist could never get Even Flow right. Also they were a bunch of pop/punker hippies and I was the only one who wanted to play rock.

Oh, my last band used to play "Alive" at every gig. The singer couldn't handle it, but that solo at the end just melts faces (sorry for the hippie-centric term). I love to melt faces.

We should be in a band.

Just saying.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am

even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:

We should be in a band.

Just saying.

this is the grunge thread, still. nygrrrl, update us on your life. we're not mean. really.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:

We should be in a band.

Just saying.

If we both get into and end up at Fordham, we'll definitely talk.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 am

So I won't be around for ASW, but I live in NY... if I just show up one afternoon can I get a tour or something? Anyone done this?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am

So when you guys are bored, you talk about grunge. When I'm bored, I spend 70 bucks on Victoria's Secret's website. I bought the cutest wool coat, and a bathing suit, and slippers. Somebody make me leave the computer!

--LinkRemoved--

But tell me the coat isn't worth it? Only 50 bucks! Got it in black.

Sorry, I know the guys don't care and fashion talk was outlawed, but I literally fell over when I saw this coat.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am

lawschoollll wrote:So I won't be around for ASW, but I live in NY... if I just show up one afternoon can I get a tour or something? Anyone done this?

Look on the website and they list the tour times. You sign up and go. The best part was chatting with admissions at the end.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 am

Kim617 wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:So I won't be around for ASW, but I live in NY... if I just show up one afternoon can I get a tour or something? Anyone done this?

Look on the website and they list the tour times. You sign up and go. The best part was chatting with admissions at the end.

sweet, thanks

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:44 am

Maybe I'm just rewriting history, but even though Pearl Jam grew up and became famous as a member of the "grunge" scene, I never really associated them with the grunge sound. They just sound like a good rock band to me.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:50 am

rockthelaw wrote:Maybe I'm just rewriting history, but even though Pearl Jam grew up and became famous as a member of the "grunge" scene, I never really associated them with the grunge sound. They just sound like a good rock band to me.

I think its more because they mellowed out in the past decade, and experimented with some folk, and much more acoustic stuff. Not to say that any of that is bad at all. In fact, I really like folk, country-based, and acoustic rock. But some old-time fans from the early 90's will tell you that they defined the grunge movement even more than Nirvana. Just listen to the attitude and the "flavor" of the album Ten, which everyone knows is a classic. Undeniably grunge. Perhaps not as heavy as Nirvana, but grunge is about an attitude and mindset, not just about how heavy the distortion is turned up.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 pm

dakatz wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Maybe I'm just rewriting history, but even though Pearl Jam grew up and became famous as a member of the "grunge" scene, I never really associated them with the grunge sound. They just sound like a good rock band to me.

I think its more because they mellowed out in the past decade, and experimented with some folk, and much more acoustic stuff. Not to say that any of that is bad at all. In fact, I really like folk, country-based, and acoustic rock. But some old-time fans from the early 90's will tell you that they defined the grunge movement even more than Nirvana. Just listen to the attitude and the "flavor" of the album Ten, which everyone knows is a classic. Undeniably grunge. Perhaps not as heavy as Nirvana, but grunge is about an attitude and mindset, not just about how heavy the distortion is turned up.

I agree that it was more the attitude than the sound. I mean, Soundgarden was part of that scene too, and they didn't really sound like either PJ or Nirvana. It was, for me at least, definitely more of the feel.

But yeah rock, a lot of people say the same thing about PJ, grunge is such a loosely defined term that only one band can ever truly define it - Nirvana - because technically that's the band that people say 'created' it, and they had such a unique sound (honestly, do you know ANYONE who can sing like Kurt?) that it's hard to group other people into that genre.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Could you argue that Mudhoney was more the quintessential grunge band, and that Nirvana took the lead and - for lack of a better term - perfected grunge not only in the sonic realm, but in the attitude and image realm as well?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 pm

jl2032 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:$7500 a year for 3 years, $22,500.00!!!! Hell yes, my first scholarship offer from any school... now the leveraging may begin!

How long did it take to get the letter about money?

Came about 2 days maybe 3 days after the acceptance letter in the mail, small envelope.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 pm

even2flow wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I agree that it was more the attitude than the sound. I mean, Soundgarden was part of that scene too, and they didn't really sound like either PJ or Nirvana. It was, for me at least, definitely more of the feel.

But yeah rock, a lot of people say the same thing about PJ, grunge is such a loosely defined term that only one band can ever truly define it - Nirvana - because technically that's the band that people say 'created' it, and they had such a unique sound (honestly, do you know ANYONE who can sing like Kurt?) that it's hard to group other people into that genre.

I was in love with Kurt Cobain. Granted, I was like 6 when he died, but LOVE. Speaking of lead singers that passed away, who didn't love Sublime?! Okay, I'm sure there are some people that didn't, but I think less of them. :D

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Pearl Jam never really sounded like other grunge bands, they were just lumped in there because they were a rock band from the same city. Their early stuff was much more informed by classic rock whereas grunge was a modified punk rock.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I really don't like pearl jam, but only because of the lead singer's voice. Something about it just irritates me. This is probably irrational.

In other news, registration is open for the 3/27 ASD! I just registered, hope to see y'all there-

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

rockthelaw wrote:Could you argue that Mudhoney was more the quintessential grunge band, and that Nirvana took the lead and - for lack of a better term - perfected grunge not only in the sonic realm, but in the attitude and image realm as well?

Hm, I dunno. This is about to destroy my internet credibility i've never listened to a ton of Mudhoney :oops:

When I think of grunge, I tend to just group the rock/punkish bands with the similar image together from that period of time (late 80's early 90s) and leave it at that. I know this definition has flaws (cause technically RHCP came out with Blood Sugar around this time, I think and I don't consider that grunge at all. Just awesome) For me Mudhoney falls into that category, but at the same time, I can't really, personally at least, consider Nirvana to be the definitive grunge band because in terms of outlook and playing style they were doing the same thing that other bands at the time were doing. They just hit it really, really big.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 pm

tesoro wrote:I really don't like pearl jam, but only because of the lead singer's voice. Something about it just irritates me. This is probably irrational.

Totally irrational. 8)

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm

tesoro wrote:In other news, registration is open for the 3/27 ASD! I just registered, hope to see y'all there-

Me too - planned to go to the one in Jan, but... ended up sleeping through it. Ooops! Looking forward to this one!

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Kim617 wrote:So when you guys are bored, you talk about grunge. When I'm bored, I spend 70 bucks on Victoria's Secret's website. I bought the cutest wool coat, and a bathing suit, and slippers. Somebody make me leave the computer!

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry, I know the guys don't care and fashion talk was outlawed, but I literally fell over when I saw this coat.

Totally cute, looks worth way more than $50! :)

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 pm

adgirl13 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So when you guys are bored, you talk about grunge. When I'm bored, I spend 70 bucks on Victoria's Secret's website. I bought the cutest wool coat, and a bathing suit, and slippers. Somebody make me leave the computer!

--LinkRemoved--

SO worth it. You'll need it for law school winter anyway.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:34 pm

adgirl13 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

RIGHT?! It was originally $168, so it's definitely a deal. I love VS clearance, it makes me so happy. I love my VS Card just as much, because I spend money that I don't have! YAY!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:35 pm

sibley wrote:
adgirl13 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

SO worth it. You'll need it for law school winter anyway.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I know I'm pretty much done with winter now, but my pea coat is looking old and I want a new wool coat. Highlight of my day.

Meanwhile, it's Friday and I can't eat meat, and I'm dying for like a turkey sandwich. I had some sushi (fish is allowed!) so I think I'll make it through the day.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Kim617 wrote:
adgirl13 wrote:Totally cute, looks worth way more than $50! :)

RIGHT?! It was originally $168, so it's definitely a deal. I love VS clearance, it makes me so happy. I love my VS Card just as much, because I spend money that I don't have! YAY!

but you get points for it, right??? I have a BR card that I love. they send me birthday presents, along with piperlime.

Poultry is not meat!

bjf

Postby bjf » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Does anyone know approximately how long it is taking admissions to reject applicants? I guess I'm just hoping and praying that since it's been 2+ months and I haven't heard anything, that I still might have a shot even if it's a tiny tiny one..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”