Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 pm

jl2032 wrote:
The deal is, if I take the money, I work for the firm during school. BUT when they offered this to me, I also got the impression that I'd need to come back and work for them. I don't know if I want that in writing. It's kind of limiting. What if I find a better offer somewhere? Who knows if things improve in four years?


This may not be the situation for you, but I know many other businesses offer tuition assistance with the caveat that you committ to stay with the company after graduation for x number of years. I know a girl who got a full ride to a Georgetown masters program courtesy of the company but everyone she knew and liked in the company left after it was acquired and now she's stuck working for a business she barely knows... but got a free degree out of the deal. so there are tradeoffs.

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 pm

chutzpah wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
The deal is, if I take the money, I work for the firm during school. BUT when they offered this to me, I also got the impression that I'd need to come back and work for them. I don't know if I want that in writing. It's kind of limiting. What if I find a better offer somewhere? Who knows if things improve in four years?


This may not be the situation for you, but I know many other businesses offer tuition assistance with the caveat that you committ to stay with the company after graduation for x number of years. I know a girl who got a full ride to a Georgetown masters program courtesy of the company but everyone she knew and liked in the company left after it was acquired and now she's stuck working for a business she barely knows... but got a free degree out of the deal. so there are tradeoffs.


Yeah, the people here are great, but I get the feeling most of the partners have one foot in retirement and I don't know what this place will look like in four years. I'd be getting a good deal on my JD and I'd be in NYC, but I'd also be giving up on better schools.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm

chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:some of us just can't survive below the mason-dixon line.


I did just fine in Charlottesville, VA as a New York Jew. While there may be some nutjobs out there, institutions of higher learnings are very tolerant places and Southerners really are friendlier.


The south is its own world. I lived in Fredericksburg, VA for a couple of years, and was treated with the utmost kindness. I am also Jewish, though I am blonde and fair skinned, so people assume otherwise. Things are not perfect down there-- homophobic hatemongers came to campus at my first college, and that freaked me out a lot. My classmates organized a counter protest, and they were as upset about it as I was.

I count UVA students among my closest friends... their kindness (real, actual kindness, not just surface friendliness) cannot be overstated. I don't know if I'd want to live down there again (very attached to New York) but I could go on for pages about how thoughtful and cool UVA students are.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 pm

i have been on hold with victoria's secret for 31 minutes. i ordered a bathing suit top and pants, and the bathing suit top is way to small and the pants are not what they looked like in the picture. I WANT TO RETURN MY STUFF NOT SIT ON HOLD WITH THIS GOD FORSAKEN COMPANY.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Emma. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Stellar wrote:Where's nygrrrl? Did she get dinged ... or did you scare her off, Sibley?

8)

I'm still here, Stellar - still very much in the mix at Fordham and still rooting for you and the pug!


eeeeeee


<3

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Kim617 wrote:i have been on hold with victoria's secret for 31 minutes. i ordered a bathing suit top and pants, and the bathing suit top is way to small and the pants are not what they looked like in the picture. I WANT TO RETURN MY STUFF NOT SIT ON HOLD WITH THIS GOD FORSAKEN COMPANY.



I ordered two bathing suits from VS. They didn't fit exactly right, but I didn't want to deal with the return, so I put them away until I went somewhere warm. BOTH of their hooks just broke on me while I was on vacation, and I had to use my backup. Grrr...

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tamlyric » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Stellar wrote:Where's nygrrrl? Did she get dinged ... or did you scare her off, Sibley?

8)

I'm still here, Stellar - still very much in the mix at Fordham and still rooting for you and the pug!


I see what you did there. <3 :mrgreen:

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm

jl2032 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:i have been on hold with victoria's secret for 31 minutes. i ordered a bathing suit top and pants, and the bathing suit top is way to small and the pants are not what they looked like in the picture. I WANT TO RETURN MY STUFF NOT SIT ON HOLD WITH THIS GOD FORSAKEN COMPANY.



I ordered two bathing suits from VS. They didn't fit exactly right, but I didn't want to deal with the return, so I put them away until I went somewhere warm. BOTH of their hooks just broke on me while I was on vacation, and I had to use my backup. Grrr...

Usually they're okay, but it's my fault because I ordered a small and I'm more of a medium on top and a small on the bottom. The pants though, are not what I thought they were. 47 EFFING MINUTES ALREADY I'M GOING TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 pm

So, this may be completely off the wall, but during Harvard's ASW, Yale called people to inform them of admission to get everyone talking about Yale while at Harvard. I don't know if the competition level is comparable at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fordham has a bunch of admission emails go out on Thursday during Cardozo's ASD?

Thoughts?

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm

kaydish21 wrote:So, this may be completely off the wall, but during Harvard's ASW, Yale called people to inform them of admission to get everyone talking about Yale while at Harvard. I don't know if the competition level is comparable at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fordham has a bunch of admission emails go out on Thursday during Cardozo's ASD?

Thoughts?

haha sneaky sneaky yale!

but seriously, i'm not sure fordham's even worried about that. i think they're more worried that they have a stack of apps and need to get through them. would be very funny, though!

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Kim617 wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:So, this may be completely off the wall, but during Harvard's ASW, Yale called people to inform them of admission to get everyone talking about Yale while at Harvard. I don't know if the competition level is comparable at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fordham has a bunch of admission emails go out on Thursday during Cardozo's ASD?

Thoughts?

haha sneaky sneaky yale!

but seriously, i'm not sure fordham's even worried about that. i think they're more worried that they have a stack of apps and need to get through them. would be very funny, though!


Ha, right. This high just be extremely hopeful musings as I've been complete since 1/11 with not a word. LAME!

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:some of us just can't survive below the mason-dixon line.


I did just fine in Charlottesville, VA as a New York Jew. While there may be some nutjobs out there, institutions of higher learnings are very tolerant places and Southerners really are friendlier.


The south is its own world. I lived in Fredericksburg, VA for a couple of years, and was treated with the utmost kindness. I am also Jewish, though I am blonde and fair skinned, so people assume otherwise. Things are not perfect down there-- homophobic hatemongers came to campus at my first college, and that freaked me out a lot. My classmates organized a counter protest, and they were as upset about it as I was.

I count UVA students among my closest friends... their kindness (real, actual kindness, not just surface friendliness) cannot be overstated. I don't know if I'd want to live down there again (very attached to New York) but I could go on for pages about how thoughtful and cool UVA students are.



<3 This UVA grad thinks you're thoughtful and cool too. sorry is that weird? internet boundaries FAIL.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Currently trying to get HP to give me a free power adapter for my 4.5 year old laptop... it's getting finicky, and it looks burnt. I call that a safety issue. Kodak is sooo much better. they don't care how old your product is. if it burns, you get a new one free. maybe why they're going under,but... still nice.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

Today was 4 months since I went complete.
Sigh.

Were there any decisions on lsn today? I'm traveling so haven't been on a real computer

fitzgerald86
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby fitzgerald86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 am

goosey wrote:Today was 4 months since I went complete.
Sigh.

Were there any decisions on lsn today? I'm traveling so haven't been on a real computer


One rejection from the part-time program . . . numbers were 160/3.79, submitted 1/14 (no complete date) . . . also a legacy. But considering the LSAT score, not a surprise.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 am

chutzpah wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:some of us just can't survive below the mason-dixon line.


I did just fine in Charlottesville, VA as a New York Jew. While there may be some nutjobs out there, institutions of higher learnings are very tolerant places and Southerners really are friendlier.


The south is its own world. I lived in Fredericksburg, VA for a couple of years, and was treated with the utmost kindness. I am also Jewish, though I am blonde and fair skinned, so people assume otherwise. Things are not perfect down there-- homophobic hatemongers came to campus at my first college, and that freaked me out a lot. My classmates organized a counter protest, and they were as upset about it as I was.

I count UVA students among my closest friends... their kindness (real, actual kindness, not just surface friendliness) cannot be overstated. I don't know if I'd want to live down there again (very attached to New York) but I could go on for pages about how thoughtful and cool UVA students are.



<3 This UVA grad thinks you're thoughtful and cool too. sorry is that weird? internet boundaries FAIL.


Not weird at all. You are so sweet!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 am

What's the deal with Fordham OS? Why are they taking this long? Are yoooooou sure they actually read your whole application and just don't plug your numbers into some index?

fitzgerald86
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby fitzgerald86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:What's the deal with Fordham OS? Why are they taking this long? Are yoooooou sure they actually read your whole application and just don't plug your numbers into some index?


I've been waiting only slightly over 8 weeks, and it seems worth the wait. The fact that some people (whose numbers are borderline/below median) are still waiting, and have been waiting, for months, tells me that Fordham is taking every application seriously. DB says in his interview with OS that they take time to read every personal statement before looking at anything else, and as OS has emphasized, Fordham is very holistic -- or at least, much more so than other schools -- in its approach. This sits well with me, because if I do get in, I know my classmates are going to be great -- not just smart and hardworking but also interesting and appealing personally/professionally.

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 am

sibley wrote:Currently trying to get HP to give me a free power adapter for my 4.5 year old laptop... it's getting finicky, and it looks burnt. I call that a safety issue. Kodak is sooo much better. they don't care how old your product is. if it burns, you get a new one free. maybe why they're going under,but... still nice.

You still have a functioning laptop after 4.5 yrs? I went through 2 in college and just bought a new one a few months ago. Each time they were on the verge of erupting into flames on my desk (literally).

Also - In before porn jokes.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 am

fitzgerald86 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:What's the deal with Fordham OS? Why are they taking this long? Are yoooooou sure they actually read your whole application and just don't plug your numbers into some index?


I've been waiting only slightly over 8 weeks, and it seems worth the wait. The fact that some people (whose numbers are borderline/below median) are still waiting, and have been waiting, for months, tells me that Fordham is taking every application seriously. DB says in his interview with OS that they take time to read every personal statement before looking at anything else, and as OS has emphasized, Fordham is very holistic -- or at least, much more so than other schools -- in its approach. This sits well with me, because if I do get in, I know my classmates are going to be great -- not just smart and hardworking but also interesting and appealing personally/professionally.

I agree. Prior to my retake, I was an auto-reject according to my numbers. In fact I had applied to Fordham pt as a super reach--the fact that I was in the running for nearly 4 months with those numbers speaks a lot about their process. Even now, my new lsat score gives me some glimmer of hope, but at the end of the day, I know that this had to have been a hollistic approach for me to even have made it long enough to *give* them a new score.

This in and of itself makes me love the school more because it speaks to the general atmosphere of the place-- I always feel like the general vibe in administrative offices is what trickles down to the student body. and, like the above poster mentioned, there will be an interesting group of people that are not only smart, but have more to offer aside from a good lsat score and gpa (which, don't get me wrong, are huge commodities and speak a lot about work ethic)

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!! :-D

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 am

LaurenGayle wrote:Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!! :-D



First time I've ever seen the point of the holiday! My office has many delicious things. currently enjoying green dump cake and a bagel. lunch will be corn beef, cabbage, potatoes with some taco dip and soda bread on the side and followed by a green-frosted cupcake!

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 am

sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!! :-D



First time I've ever seen the point of the holiday! My office has many delicious things. currently enjoying green dump cake and a bagel. lunch will be corn beef, cabbage, potatoes with some taco dip and soda bread on the side and followed by a green-frosted cupcake!


YUM! the place i worked last year had a themed lunch like that as well. here, we just have homemade soda bread, but i'm not complaining :wink:

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!! :-D



First time I've ever seen the point of the holiday! My office has many delicious things. currently enjoying green dump cake and a bagel. lunch will be corn beef, cabbage, potatoes with some taco dip and soda bread on the side and followed by a green-frosted cupcake!


YUM! the place i worked last year had a themed lunch like that as well. here, we just have homemade soda bread, but i'm not complaining :wink:


I'm 3/4 Irish, but HATE Irish food. We need a more German themed holiday

fitzgerald86
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby fitzgerald86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am

Sláinte!

Luck of the Irish to everyone!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], oliviaj_j, rapmasterg and 5 guests