Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jl2032

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Hm. Just got an email containing this:

"As a person of color, UDC-DCSL, the public law school of the Nation's Capital, is especially interested in your candidacy. The School of Law offers a diverse student body and a welcoming and supportive learning environment. We encourage you to submit your application; and, to allow you more time to prepare your application, we are extending the application deadline to April 15, 2010."

Which is super great, except I'm pretty sure that my Italian/Middle Eastern background does not qualify me as a "person of color." Anyone else get this?

Middle Eastern could be a "person of color" depending on how you view it. I think it definitely adds to the diversity of a school.

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Just got my official admissions letter. No mention of scholarship money, but I think people mentioned it could be sent later. I wonder if I should email them about it?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm

jl2032 wrote:

"As a person of color, UDC-DCSL, the public law school of the Nation's Capital, is especially interested in your candidacy. The School of Law offers a diverse student body and a welcoming and supportive learning environment. We encourage you to submit your application; and, to allow you more time to prepare your application, we are extending the application deadline to April 15, 2010."

Which is super great, except I'm pretty sure that my Italian/Middle Eastern background does not qualify me as a "person of color." Anyone else get this?

Middle Eastern could be a "person of color" depending on how you view it. I think it definitely adds to the diversity of a school.

Maybe. But it certainly doesn't qualify me as a URM, and is usually grouped with "white" on applications.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Maybe. But it certainly doesn't qualify me as a URM, and is usually grouped with "white" on applications.

two things:

1. UDC is in a surprisingly good neighborhood, but that's all its got going for it. I took my LSAT there and everyone was very nice but terribly disorganized
2. I sincerely hope you've seen Mean Girls. At the end the indian math geek/dj is dancing with Janice and he says he only dates women of color and she says she's lebanese and he says "aaall right".

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

chutzpah wrote:2. I sincerely hope you've seen Mean Girls. At the end the indian math geek/dj is dancing with Janice and he says he only dates women of color and she says she's lebanese and he says "aaall right".

LOL -- I've seen Mean Girls more times than I can count. I am Lebanese and always crack up at that line.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Yeah, but I'm not a URM (Hispanic, but not URM) and I got a few of those kinds of letters. They still take diversity into account, even though you won't get a URM boost.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm

jl2032 wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:Dinged today at Fordham Part Time. 3.84, 162 from a top public school. On LSP, it says I am an "admit". I was also rejected at UC Hastings which put me as a "strong consider".

LSP sucks.

Wow. That's so weird. I'm getting scared now. What was your complete date?

January 12th

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Acquaintance: 3.0X/165 rejected today from part time.

Only have one more friend waiting: 167/3.5 ish...hasn't heard anything from full time.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:54 pm

NYG come reassure me!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Acquaintance: 3.0X/165 rejected today from part time.

Only have one more friend waiting: 167/3.5 ish...hasn't heard anything from full time.

wow, it's rough being your friend :D

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:Dinged today at Fordham Part Time. 3.84, 162 from a top public school. On LSP, it says I am an "admit". I was also rejected at UC Hastings which put me as a "strong consider".

LSP sucks.

January 12th

Grrrr. My status checker is stuck:

Current Status: Your application is complete
Current Status Date: 1/12/2010

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

jl2032 wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

LSP sucks.

January 12th

Grrrr. My status checker is stuck:

Current Status: Your application is complete
Current Status Date: 1/12/2010

+1
cant be long now

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:46 pm

LSP sucks.

If I remember right you're really young. Something absurd like 18 or 19, right? This probably has a lot to do with how your cycle is turning out.

Law schools want their students to be employable. A few reasons you may not be right now: Anyone under 21 is a liability to a law firm because many firms are dominated by a drinking culture. Furthermore, clients may not be comfortable dealing with someone so young. There are many more reasons, but I think you get the point. Your plight is shared by many, and lots of young'uns end up underselling themselves prestige-wise by going to law school too early.

As such, you are a liability to schools' employment statistics, and not quite yet worth the risk. Yes, it's unfair, but if you haven't found out already, most things in life are. All the same, you have my condolences.

My advice? Take a few years to build meaningful experience and a good network of contacts. You're obviously very bright - why not wait a few years and try again? Law school will always be there.

If I'm wrong about your age, please ignore this post.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 pm

tesoro wrote:

LSP sucks.

If I remember right you're really young. Something absurd like 18 or 19, right? This probably has a lot to do with how your cycle is turning out.

Law schools want their students to be employable. A few reasons you may not be right now: Anyone under 21 is a liability to a law firm because many firms are dominated by a drinking culture. Furthermore, clients may not be comfortable dealing with someone so young. There are many more reasons, but I think you get the point. Your plight is shared by many, and lots of young'uns end up underselling themselves prestige-wise by going to law school too early.

As such, you are a liability to schools' employment statistics, and not quite yet worth the risk. Yes, it's unfair, but if you haven't found out already, most things in life are. All the same, you have my condolences.

My advice? Take a few years to build meaningful experience and a good network of contacts. You're obviously very bright - why not wait a few years and try again? Law school will always be there.

I'm 19. But I'll just turn 21 by OCI. Is it really that bad? So law school admissions isn't ALL about numbers. Honestly, do you know anyone else who has gotten straight out dinged at an auto admit school? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. And one of the reasons I don't want to take time off is my senior year grades are horrible and will likely drop me down to the 3.67-3.72 range. I haven't sent them yet and don't plan to. If I take time off, I will have to send them. As for the LSAT, I have taken it 3 times and will have to wait 2 more years to take it again. And honestly, it's a risk. Part of me says I can improve to about 166-167 and part of me says I can't do much better. I pretty went through all the PT's, but each and every time I studied for the LSAT... I was in school and was trying to juggle both at the same time. HORRIBLE MISTAKE.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
tesoro wrote:

LSP sucks.

I'm 19. But I'll just turn 21 by OCI. Is it really that bad? So law school admissions isn't ALL about numbers. Honestly, do you know anyone else who has gotten straight out dinged at an auto admit school? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. And one of the reasons I don't want to take time off is my senior year grades are horrible and will likely drop me down to the 3.67-3.72 range. I haven't sent them yet and don't plan to. If I take time off, I will have to send them. As for the LSAT, I have taken it 3 times and will have to wait 2 more years to take it again. And honestly, it's a risk. Part of me says I can improve to about 166-167 and part of me says I can't do much better. I pretty went through all the PT's, but each and every time I studied for the LSAT... I was in school and was trying to juggle both at the same time. HORRIBLE MISTAKE.

I'm a strange person to consult here, because I somehow beat the numbers crunch most others appear to be experiencing, so take my words with a grain of salt. Regardless, I found my way into Fordham with a 3.52. Dropping to a 3.7 isn't the end of the world if you can mitigate it with a higher LSAT and meaningful experience. Frankly, a 3.7 is a fine GPA that you should be proud of. If you're really that devastated about it, you could delay your graduation and take "filler" classes at CC until you feel comfortable enough to move on.

You'll grow a lot in two years. Plenty of new PTs will become available to learn from if you choose to retake the LSAT after that time. Frankly, you should be able to juggle school and the LSAT, especially as an A student. Many juggle full-time jobs and study for the LSAT successfully. You were probably distracted by more than school, and would need to mentally commit yourself a lot more the next goaround with the exam.

I hope you get into a satisfactory school this cycle, but I hope more that you choose to delay and let yourself grow through non-academic experiences. I can guarantee that if you went that route, you wouldn't regret it. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about that route.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:32 pm

tesoro wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
tesoro wrote:

LSP sucks.

You'll grow a lot in two years. Plenty of new PTs will become available to learn from if you choose to retake the LSAT after that time. Frankly, you should be able to juggle school and the LSAT, especially as an A student. Many juggle full-time jobs and study for the LSAT successfully. You were probably distracted by more than school, and would need to mentally commit yourself a lot more the next goaround with the exam.

i think that's the best advice. i took the lsat while in school full time, and commuting. but you need to clear your head during the time that you're studying. don't allow yourself to be distracted. hell, i think i told everyone about my distractions while i was TAKING the LSAT (such as proctors interrupting my logic games to ask me for my driver's license). the best advice, if you choose to retake it, is learn how to ignore distractions. i guarantee it will help you to do much better.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Dinged today. Status checker read "Unfortunately, you have been denied."

Oh well, I didn't expect to get in. I haven't read enough of this forum to know if anyone has discussed this already, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Best of luck to everyone else!

yeahyeah2121

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!

cyh

Postby cyh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:22 pm

LSP sucks.

don't pay attention to LSP.. it's stupid.
LSP said I was a DENY at BU

got in on Thursday with 90k

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm

cyh wrote:

LSP sucks.

It's not stupid, it just can't take individual circumstances into consideration. We think of this as being all about numbers, and primarily it is, but softs can still make or break a person's cycle. I have seen people over or underperform their numbers in ways that are downright shocking. LSP can tell you what to expect based upon your numbers, but every applicant has non-numerical strengths and weaknesses. Also, some schools try to be more actively holistic than others. Fordham is among them... even I can't predict with any accuracy who is going to get in, and when it will happen.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
cyh wrote:

LSP sucks.

It's not stupid, it just can't take individual circumstances into consideration. We think of this as being all about numbers, and primarily it is, but softs can still make or break a person's cycle. I have seen people over or underperform their numbers in ways that are downright shocking. LSP can tell you what to expect based upon your numbers, but every applicant has non-numerical strengths and weaknesses. Also, some schools try to be more actively holistic than others. Fordham is among them... even I can't predict with any accuracy who is going to get in, and when it will happen.

I completely agree. I've had a very surprising cycle thus far (albeit a somewhat disappointing one). Some expect decisions and some pleasant surprises. We'll see how the next few months play out I guess.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 pm

adgirl13 wrote:Just got my official admissions letter. No mention of scholarship money, but I think people mentioned it could be sent later. I wonder if I should email them about it?

same here, emailed them twice, and got no response. good luck.

fitzgerald86

Postby fitzgerald86 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am

The forum is quiet today!

I'm complete 1/12 with a 3.54/165 for the PT program. I'm certain my admissions decision is coming this week. Shivers! I feel confident about my application, but with the responses I've been seeing lately I can't help but be a bit nervous.

Just want to extend my love to everyone else who is still in the waiting game -- waitlisted or otherwise.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am

this daylight savings nonsense has got my internal clock all sorts of screwed up. I'm super tired this morning.

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 am

mornin,

anyone else complete 1/29?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”