Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
danidancer

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby danidancer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

dakatz wrote:
sibley wrote:
chocho wrote:waited listed 168, 3.59, part time, won't get going here I guess. good luck errbody

meh. sorry. and wtf.

NEW CONSPIRACY THEORY: someone accidentally hit the WL for these batches instead of the in.

Absolutely. Seems like a HUGE number of seemingly auto-admits are getting WL. Doesn't make sense. The great in/WL button conspiracy!!

Ugh. That sucks, sorry guys. Given the universally insane application uptick this year, maybe they've just run out of space in the class?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

even2flow wrote:
dakatz wrote:Absolutely. Seems like a HUGE number of seemingly auto-admits are getting WL. Doesn't make sense. The great in/WL button conspiracy!!

OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass, here, people...

Speaking of conspiracies....new post! z313.blogspot.com

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

danidancer wrote:
dakatz wrote:
sibley wrote:
chocho wrote:waited listed 168, 3.59, part time, won't get going here I guess. good luck errbody

meh. sorry. and wtf.

NEW CONSPIRACY THEORY: someone accidentally hit the WL for these batches instead of the in.

Absolutely. Seems like a HUGE number of seemingly auto-admits are getting WL. Doesn't make sense. The great in/WL button conspiracy!!

Ugh. That sucks, sorry guys. Given the universally insane application uptick this year, maybe they've just run out of space in the class?

I doubt that was the case for me. I applied EA all the way back in October.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:
dakatz wrote:Absolutely. Seems like a HUGE number of seemingly auto-admits are getting WL. Doesn't make sense. The great in/WL button conspiracy!!

OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass, here, people...

Amazing. Thank you, e2f!

Hah, I was kinda worried no one else would get it.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

labourer wrote:another question for anyone who plans on working while doing the evening classes:

how many hours do you plan on working?

I'm planning on working full time. My firm said they'd pay for a good chunk of law school if I promise to do it part time and keep my full time gig. So, that's my plan.

I went to visit Fordham last night and the tour guide was a current 3L in the part time program. He said his reading time is like one hour every night and then, 6-10 hours over the weekend. Also, a lot of the p/t students have full time jobs. It seems like it's worked for them.

labourer

Postby labourer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm

jl2032 wrote:
labourer wrote:another question for anyone who plans on working while doing the evening classes:

I'm planning on working full time. My firm said they'd pay for a good chunk of law school if I promise to do it part time and keep my full time gig. So, that's my plan.

I went to visit Fordham last night and the tour guide was a current 3L in the part time program. He said his reading time is like one hour every night and then, 6-10 hours over the weekend. Also, a lot of the p/t students have full time jobs. It seems like it's worked for them.

that's amazing! i would love to have an offer like that. did you specifically request it? if so, do you mind sharing how?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:57 pm

danidancer wrote:
dakatz wrote:
sibley wrote:

meh. sorry. and wtf.

Yeah, I feel like that could be the case. I know apps were up like almost universally, and I'm sure many will be withdrawing around April, so I'm sure many spots will open up around then. I have no authority on this, just kinda feel that way. Don't fret :D

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm

I didn't have my heart set on Fordham but for whatever reason this WL stings more than the others. Maybe its because I spend so much gddamn time on this thread.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:12 pm

chutzpah wrote:I didn't have my heart set on Fordham but for whatever reason this WL stings more than the others. Maybe its because I spend so much gddamn time on this thread.

+1

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 pm

labourer wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

that's amazing! i would love to have an offer like that. did you specifically request it? if so, do you mind sharing how?

I PM'ed you.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:30 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:I didn't have my heart set on Fordham but for whatever reason this WL stings more than the others. Maybe its because I spend so much gddamn time on this thread.

+1

Last post and I'll stop being a baby. All the posters on LSN with similar stats to me were admitted with 30, 60, or 75k. Even if they averaged my scores it would probably be an admit. So either they really did "look beyond the numbers" and hated me, lost my new score report, or have no seats left. hrmph

tjefferson

Postby tjefferson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Accepted. 168/3.4.

Odd because my GPA is lower than many who were WL'ed. I guess they really emphasized softs and PS this year.

Does anyone know how Fordham informs people about aid (merit and need-based)?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Is anyone else from 1/12 or earlier still waiting? I got all excited because it seemed like a bunch of decisions were going out yesterday but I've got nothing.

Yes, there are people from November and December still waiting.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Is anyone else from 1/12 or earlier still waiting? I got all excited because it seemed like a bunch of decisions were going out yesterday but I've got nothing.

Still waiting. There's a bunch of us.

tjefferson wrote:Accepted. 168/3.4.

Odd because my GPA is lower than many who were WL'ed. I guess they really emphasized softs and PS this year.

Congrats! Mind sharing stats/complete date?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

You have to apply for need-based. Merit aid is supposed to come with your letter or within 2 weeks of acceptance. I was admitted in December and got a merit scholarship a couple of weeks ago after requesting one. We have almost identical stats. If you have leverage from other schools, try to negotiate!

tjefferson

Postby tjefferson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm

danidancer wrote:

You have to apply for need-based. Merit aid is supposed to come with your letter or within 2 weeks of acceptance. I was admitted in December and got a merit scholarship a couple of weeks ago after requesting one. We have almost identical stats. If you have leverage from other schools, try to negotiate!

Should I expect enough to be tempted by Fordham with those numbers? Its so damn expensive for what appears to be sliding job prospects in the NY area.

Does anyone know how Fordham is viewed outside of NYC, particularly in the South?

elaw86

Postby elaw86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:
sibley wrote:... and I really do love jews, so maybe Cardozo is the better choice anyway. I'm not highly religious (though I'm converting to Judaism) ...

:idea: I just wanted to say that current Fordham students have been known to call Fordham a "Jewsuit school."

Surprising, since Fordham is Jesuit. I would assume more Catholics!

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

In today via email. I will be giving up my seat, however. Good luck to you all.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Side note to all interested - Pearl Jam tickets are on sale this week. If you heard the shrill scream of a 8 year old girl, that was me. This time of year is better than Christmas.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

fwiw, I don't find anything unusual about the application process in general. At any school. I think schools admit the people they like best first, whether it be for numbers or softs, or both. I know it's hard to believe but the process is pretty subjective. But if you really want to go to the school, whichever school, spend a lot of energy letting them know. Across the board. Don't just focus on the numbers. Focus on what they can offer you, and you them. You have a whole package available. Give it to 'em. Don't be stingy. I wouldn't want just half a student at my school. 8)

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Wow guys. What is going on with Fordham this year? This is rough.

Brother: 164/ 3.89; PT Waitlisted

Friend: 166/ 3.3x; PT Waitlisted

Girl I know: 169/3.9; FT Waitlisted

I know I've been a jerk on this board (just having some fun), but that is rough. Something has to be up. All of these were in the last few days.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 pm

WL'ed just now.

172/3.53.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm

To the question about WL movement: There doesn't appear to have been any yet. A few people were "taken off the waitlist," but it appears these people were miscoded by the admissions office and should have been admits.

To my knowledge, the adcomms will look at waitlisted candidates starting April 15th or shortly after, as that is when seat deposits are due for those accepted.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:29 pm

lawschoollll wrote:WL'ed just now.

172/3.53.

Wow. I am shocked by all these WLs. I have to agree with Dani, though -- maybe they are just waiting until they see who has accepted their earlier offers by April 15th?

Sorry to the WLs but I have high hopes for you all!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”