Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 am

chutzpah wrote:re: good government job comments -- I work for the Federal government now and interact with many many attorneys or Feds with JDs who arent in strict law-related jobs. There are some programs and offices that are very snobby about where applicants went to school (DOJ honors, anything appellate, some civil division offices). That said, many of the very successful Feds I know did not go to top schools. There are a lot of Catholic, American, and GMU grads at my agency's OGC office. My boss was chief counsel on a major Senate committee and ran OGC and leg affairs offices at other agencies and she went to the University of South Carolina. I have noticed that there are a lot of Fordham grads working as judges and prosecutors around NY, which is impressive. I guess my point is that if you're thinking of going on a route other than biglaw, the prerequisites are not as cut and dry. That said, I think I'd drop my full ride if Columbia smiled upon me.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep my head above the water if Columbia let me in.
Guts, do you know anything about the appointments available in the fed gov? They have them for military, peace corps, and americorps vista as well as for disabilities, which is the area I want to know about.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:
oh ok. I thought you were waiting on a result still. Did you apply full time? Is there any theory that calling and requesting you be considered for PT at this point will make a difference? Someone pmed me and said they were accepted PT and were able to call and immediately be put in the full time program...

You'll get your letter soon, which will give you the opportunity to check the "both" box, to be considered for both programs. You can always email them and request, but getting in that little paper with the signature is super important.

forgot about that! Thanks. Will do it... can't see it hurting me, especially since I'm realizing I should get a pretty decent need-based grant from anywhere I apply anyway. Does anyone know how the financial aid works in schools generally?

well see.. not all schools have need based grants like Brooklyn does. W&L is one that doesnt. GULC is another.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:
oh ok. I thought you were waiting on a result still. Did you apply full time? Is there any theory that calling and requesting you be considered for PT at this point will make a difference? Someone pmed me and said they were accepted PT and were able to call and immediately be put in the full time program...

You'll get your letter soon, which will give you the opportunity to check the "both" box, to be considered for both programs. You can always email them and request, but getting in that little paper with the signature is super important.

forgot about that! Thanks. Will do it... can't see it hurting me, especially since I'm realizing I should get a pretty decent need-based grant from anywhere I apply anyway. Does anyone know how the financial aid works in schools generally?

well see.. not all schools have need based grants like Brooklyn does. W&L is one that doesnt. GULC is another.

oh =/ does cardozo? cardozo HAS to- they're loaded... plus I'll get tap if I stay in state.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 am

unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yeah, my EFC is 0 and I can't get a need based grant. SUCKS

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:53 am

Kim617 wrote:Yeah, my EFC is 0 and I can't get a need based grant. SUCKS

That's what mine is as well. You can't at Fordham you mean???? If so you just made my WL obsolete....

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 am

hmm.. not too sure.I dont know much about cardozo. I checked Fordham just now too.. and it appears that they do have need based grants...they were sure to drop the L bomb right behind it too. lol.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

sibley wrote:

That's what mine is as well. You can't at Fordham you mean???? If so you just made my WL obsolete....

No sorry, at GULC. I'm pretty sure you can at Fordham.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:

Poop.

In other news, people keep asking me if I'm writing a novel over here.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:57 am

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:

Poop.

In other news, people keep asking me if I'm writing a novel over here.

I have French in 15 minutes so I'm just wasting some time before class. I love that my mom works at my school because I can hang out in her office on breaks, plus tuition free!!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 pm

hannah87 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Re: free Cardozo: if it's a guaranteed full ride, it may come down to what you want to do with your JD. Cardozo is improving, but it's still not known for giving people great odds at big firms. ITE, no school outside the T10 is, but in a somewhat recovered economy (hopefully what the class of '13 will be facing) your chances of landing a firm job or prestigious government/big name PI employment/clerkships will be better out of Fordham than out of Cardozo.

However, I have to tell you that UVA is extremely credited. That school has enough trolls on TLS, so I don't need to be pressed into service, but I will take a minute to tell you about all the kind, selfless, wonderful people I adore who go to UVA. I don't know if they are a representative sample, but if I ever have any trouble, or need advice, consolation, or help, a UVA student will come find me and help me. I could go on for pages about how sweet, friendly, and helpful their students are, but actions speak louder than words, so I'll fess up and say I'm going down to visit at the end of the month.

thanks, OS!!! that seems like very sound advice. i would go to UVA in a heartbeat if not for the marital/financial concerns. everyone on TLS who goes there does seem very cool. i think the school would be a great fit for me, and a nice change of scenery (been in nyc/LI all my life. not that there's anywhere better than nyc!). i really appreciate the insight and will keep you all updated on my decision!
:D :D :D

edit: the cardozo scholly IS guaranteed for all 3 years. hence the tough decision! and i'm 99% sure i want NYC biglaw.

Good luck, hannah! I understand your dilemma, and I do think you should ask Fordham for more money, though the school's endowment honestly is modest (Cardozo has 3x as much) and Fordham does try to give people as much help as it can.

If you want NYC biglaw, I have to tell you that UVA >>> Fordham >>>>>>>> Cardozo. The Virginians know this, and I had to tell them in no uncertain terms that they are not to entrap me in any way, because I love my school, and I absolutely know what some of them will want me to do. It's not like with the Columbians... I really never see them. I can't just pop down there for a party every so often then return here, to my books and my life at Lincoln Center.

FWIW I don't think Cardozo is a bad school, but I do think it's a much better idea for a public interest student. If you want biglaw, I truly urge you to go with the best school you can get. Fordham is the best non T14 for NYC placement, and I have seen people happily turn down Cornell, GULC, and UCLA for Fordham, but I would have serious misgivings about advising someone to turn down UVA without at least visiting. You could call it a personal gut feeling. In any case, I hope Fordham gives you money, and I hope you also hear from NYU!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm

chutzpah wrote:re: good government job comments -- I work for the Federal government now and interact with many many attorneys or Feds with JDs who arent in strict law-related jobs. There are some programs and offices that are very snobby about where applicants went to school (DOJ honors, anything appellate, some civil division offices). That said, many of the very successful Feds I know did not go to top schools. There are a lot of Catholic, American, and GMU grads at my agency's OGC office. My boss was chief counsel on a major Senate committee and ran OGC and leg affairs offices at other agencies and she went to the University of South Carolina. I have noticed that there are a lot of Fordham grads working as judges and prosecutors around NY, which is impressive. I guess my point is that if you're thinking of going on a route other than biglaw, the prerequisites are not as cut and dry. That said, I think I'd drop my full ride if Columbia smiled upon me.

All of this is true. Even at the state level, some programs are snobby, and others less so. My father works for the state (not in New York, different state), and his attorneys are all T14 grads, which I found disheartening at first, but this is only one agency. The best thing to do is specific research-- I would talk to as many people as possible. I know that all the "biggies" recruit at Fordham, but they tend to want good grades. The higher the school, the more the wiggle room. A top Fordham student will have similar options available to a median CLS student, but no one can guarantee his or her performance. I wish we could!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Re: free Cardozo: if it's a guaranteed full ride, it may come down to what you want to do with your JD. Cardozo is improving, but it's still not known for giving people great odds at big firms. ITE, no school outside the T10 is, but in a somewhat recovered economy (hopefully what the class of '13 will be facing) your chances of landing a firm job or prestigious government/big name PI employment/clerkships will be better out of Fordham than out of Cardozo.

However, I have to tell you that UVA is extremely credited. That school has enough trolls on TLS, so I don't need to be pressed into service, but I will take a minute to tell you about all the kind, selfless, wonderful people I adore who go to UVA. I don't know if they are a representative sample, but if I ever have any trouble, or need advice, consolation, or help, a UVA student will come find me and help me. I could go on for pages about how sweet, friendly, and helpful their students are, but actions speak louder than words, so I'll fess up and say I'm going down to visit at the end of the month.

thanks, OS!!! that seems like very sound advice. i would go to UVA in a heartbeat if not for the marital/financial concerns. everyone on TLS who goes there does seem very cool. i think the school would be a great fit for me, and a nice change of scenery (been in nyc/LI all my life. not that there's anywhere better than nyc!). i really appreciate the insight and will keep you all updated on my decision!
:D :D :D

edit: the cardozo scholly IS guaranteed for all 3 years. hence the tough decision! and i'm 99% sure i want NYC biglaw.

Good luck, hannah! I understand your dilemma, and I do think you should ask Fordham for more money, though the school's endowment honestly is modest (Cardozo has 3x as much) and Fordham does try to give people as much help as it can.

If you want NYC biglaw, I have to tell you that UVA >>> Fordham >>>>>>>> Cardozo. The Virginians know this, and I had to tell them in no uncertain terms that they are not to entrap me in any way, because I love my school, and I absolutely know what some of them will want me to do. It's not like with the Columbians... I really never see them. I can't just pop down there for a party every so often then return here, to my books and my life at Lincoln Center.

FWIW I don't think Cardozo is a bad school, but I do think it's a much better idea for a public interest student. If you want biglaw, I truly urge you to go with the best school you can get. Fordham is the best non T14 for NYC placement, and I have seen people happily turn down Cornell, GULC, and UCLA for Fordham, but I would have serious misgivings about advising someone to turn down UVA without at least visiting. You could call it a personal gut feeling. In any case, I hope Fordham gives you money, and I hope you also hear from NYU!

Thanks so much, OS! I'm doing my best to work on my husband re: Virginia. I don't want to risk losing out on a great biglaw opportunity. And I sent Fordham an email about my scholarship to Cardozo and told them in no uncertain terms that I would be very likely to choose Fordham if I got some money. I really hope to hear back from them soon. Your enthusiasm for Fordham is so encouraging, and I liked what I saw on my visit last week. Plus, my mom went there when she was pregnant with me! So I pretty much already graduated :wink:

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Last edited by beef wellington on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Beef, my guess is that the adcomms get a large number of letters from WL candidates that say, "If accepted I'll definitely attend and love you forever." I'd also wager that they disregard this line as often as they see it. They know we're stressed and that we're trying to gain an advantage over the next guy in the process. So, I don't think I'd worry about it.

As for the other questions, I'm not sure.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Well the time has come for me to stop complaining about being complete since early December. WL today. Grrrr

edit: stats are 3.65 and 165/174 for what its worth.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm

chutzpah wrote:Well the time has come for me to stop complaining about being complete since early December. WL today. Grrrr

NUTS. As in both crazy and it sucks. Someone pmed me who got in with a 16-something and a 3.4 and he got in. No idea wtf is up with them.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 pm

chutzpah wrote:Well the time has come for me to stop complaining about being complete since early December. WL today. Grrrr

Damn, sorry. Welcome to the waitlist world!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm

rockthelaw wrote:

Damn, sorry. Welcome to the waitlist world!

it's densely populated, but we get on alright.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Bummer man. Sorry to hear that.

Camco

Postby Camco » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm

I just got WL'd too. 164 3.63

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment to meet with an admissions officer next week and see Fordham. I guess I need to change my strategy.
Should I bring a LOCI?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Beef- thanks to IBR, any T14 LRAP will serve your purposes. Some are better than others, but I would still make career placement and location your deciding factors. I believe you were honest and heartfelt in your LOCI, but you are human, and people change their minds. No school wants you to be somewhere you won't be happy. If you do accept another offer, however, I would politely inform GULC, and withdraw promptly, to make space for others who are waiting.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

WTF. did you make sure they got your new score? i'd call them and clarify that you have a shiny new score and that, yes, you're still interested in attending. sounds like a mistake on their part to me.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Camco wrote:I just got WL'd too. 164 3.63

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment to meet with an admissions officer next week and see Fordham. I guess I need to change my strategy.
Should I bring a LOCI?

That's what I did too - even visited last weekend on my own dime from 6 hours away. Apparently they don't care that we're interested =/ I think LOCI + PT is the best option.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm

hannah87 wrote:

WTF. did you make sure they got your new score? i'd call them and clarify that you have a shiny new score and that, yes, you're still interested in attending. sounds like a mistake on their part to me.

Yup. I emailed them when I got the new score and they even wrote back "congratulations on your fantastic LSAT score".

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm

chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

Yup. I emailed them when I got the new score and they even wrote back "congratulations on your fantastic LSAT score".

lame! i really don't understand their WL policy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”