Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chutzpah

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:people who were accepted on friday- no word of scholarship $ yet, right? i'm nervous and stressed, because i'm pretty sure i want fordham over cardozo...they are seriously going to need to sweeten the deal!

I want you to come to Cardozo =)

Hannah, you're going to get one of the bigwig schools. Don't even worry.

thanks, sib. i'm rapidly losing hope re: NYU. i just spoke to a family friend who is a partner at S&C and he advised me to visit UVA and try to make that work, and if not- go to Fordham. that is, if I want NYC BigLaw. so now i'm conflicted re: cardozo. free is...FREE, yaknow?

UVA is divine. I say it all the time. You must visit before you turn it down. I grew up in Queens and went there for undergrad and loved it. I have a full ride at 'dozo too and am eagerly awaiting decisions from Fordham, Georgetown, Columbia (ha!) and others, but its very tempting to go to school for almost free. I guess if you're deciding between Fordham and Cardozo -- is Fordham 150k better than Cardozo? And if you take out loans, its not just 150k, its 150k plus interest. eek. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or maybe I'll see you next week!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:thanks, sib. i'm rapidly losing hope re: NYU. i just spoke to a family friend who is a partner at S&C and he advised me to visit UVA and try to make that work, and if not- go to Fordham. that is, if I want NYC BigLaw. so now i'm conflicted re: cardozo. free is...FREE, yaknow?

don't forget to take into account COL though!

of course! that is the issue at hand. fordham, PLEASE GIVE ME 75K THANKS!

I'm sure they'll give you something at least! And did you fill out the fafsa?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 am

chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:people who were accepted on friday- no word of scholarship $ yet, right? i'm nervous and stressed, because i'm pretty sure i want fordham over cardozo...they are seriously going to need to sweeten the deal!

thanks, sib. i'm rapidly losing hope re: NYU. i just spoke to a family friend who is a partner at S&C and he advised me to visit UVA and try to make that work, and if not- go to Fordham. that is, if I want NYC BigLaw. so now i'm conflicted re: cardozo. free is...FREE, yaknow?

UVA is divine. I say it all the time. You must visit before you turn it down. I grew up in Queens and went there for undergrad and loved it. I have a full ride at 'dozo too and am eagerly awaiting decisions from Fordham, Georgetown, Columbia (ha!) and others, but its very tempting to go to school for almost free. I guess if you're deciding between Fordham and Cardozo -- is Fordham 150k better than Cardozo? And if you take out loans, its not just 150k, its 150k plus interest. eek. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or maybe I'll see you next week!

I like these points. Minus the divinity of UVA.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 am

sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:
Good morning!

CUPCAKES?

Making some Irish Car Bomb cupcakes tonight! For my parents' birthdays haha (and St. Patrick's Day).

do explain. what the heck are they? full of boozel?

Yup. Guinness chocolate cake-whiskey/chocolate ganache-bailey's frosting. Amazing.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am

fitzgerald86 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

For what it's worth, I've heard people (associates and partners at my firm) say their experience at UVa Law was more rewarding/enjoyable than undergrad. And Charlottesville is beautiful. But no, it's not NYC . . . or free!

i am going to do my best to make it to the april ASD. i know i'll love it. i never had the real college experience (went to a CUNY), so i'm dying for the campus life. it's just so...not free!!!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 am

hannah87 wrote:
fitzgerald86 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:thanks, sib. i'm rapidly losing hope re: NYU. i just spoke to a family friend who is a partner at S&C and he advised me to visit UVA and try to make that work, and if not- go to Fordham. that is, if I want NYC BigLaw. so now i'm conflicted re: cardozo. free is...FREE, yaknow?

For what it's worth, I've heard people (associates and partners at my firm) say their experience at UVa Law was more rewarding/enjoyable than undergrad. And Charlottesville is beautiful. But no, it's not NYC . . . or free!

i am going to do my best to make it to the april ASD. i know i'll love it. i never had the real college experience (went to a CUNY), so i'm dying for the campus life. it's just so...not free!!!

what's the COL at UVA? make up for some of the difference? how's your love feel about moving to virginia?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 am

chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

Re: free Cardozo: if it's a guaranteed full ride, it may come down to what you want to do with your JD. Cardozo is improving, but it's still not known for giving people great odds at big firms. ITE, no school outside the T10 is, but in a somewhat recovered economy (hopefully what the class of '13 will be facing) your chances of landing a firm job or prestigious government/big name PI employment/clerkships will be better out of Fordham than out of Cardozo.

However, I have to tell you that UVA is extremely credited. That school has enough trolls on TLS, so I don't need to be pressed into service, but I will take a minute to tell you about all the kind, selfless, wonderful people I adore who go to UVA. I don't know if they are a representative sample, but if I ever have any trouble, or need advice, consolation, or help, a UVA student will come find me and help me. I could go on for pages about how sweet, friendly, and helpful their students are, but actions speak louder than words, so I'll fess up and say I'm going down to visit at the end of the month.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 am

Currently mad at law school predictor. WL does not equal strong consider. Hmph.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

The way I look at it, what's better for your career? Loans really suck, and I'll be financing my entire education with loans, but ultimately I feel that it will pay out in the long run. Free is amazing, but I'd still probably pick the higher ranked school if I want big law or a good government job. It's a torturous decision that you probably won't even have to make because you'll get into NYU :D

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 am

sibley wrote:Currently mad at law school predictor. WL does not equal strong consider. Hmph.

This was my first reaction back in December, then I looked at LSN and decided I should've been expecting a WL the whole time. It's a big WL. The numbers in your profile are accurate right?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am

chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

thanks, chutzpah. i will PM you later. you went for UG right? i hear only the most amazing things about it and about Charlottesville. and re: Fordham- i can't justify choosing it over cardozo unless they give me some kind of $$. I did fill out my FAFSA, so I hope that helps!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am

Kim617 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

The way I look at it, what's better for your career? Loans really suck, and I'll be financing my entire education with loans, but ultimately I feel that it will pay out in the long run. Free is amazing, but I'd still probably pick the higher ranked school if I want big law or a good government job. It's a torturous decision that you probably won't even have to make because you'll get into NYU :D

yeah! +1! instead of focusing on this right now, how about you plan in another area? look up the most helpful study aids... decide if you're going to buy a new computer or need to update your wardrobe... wardrobe is a funny word. make a list of COLs... etc.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

I <3 Fordham Law 8)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

unknownscholar wrote:I <3 Fordham Law 8)

you get in today??? or just sending good vibes in hopes?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 am

beef wellington wrote:
sibley wrote:Currently mad at law school predictor. WL does not equal strong consider. Hmph.

This was my first reaction back in December, then I looked at LSN and decided I should've been expecting a WL the whole time. It's a big WL. The numbers in your profile are accurate right?

EFF law school predictor. I am "Consider" for NYU and they outright rejected me. I'm sorry, I'm still not over it. It hurts.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am

Me too, and I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your avatar.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 am

sibley wrote:

Get in? I've been claiming it since I was "waitlisted". Waitlisted, schmaitlisted. I'm in. They just don't know it yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: thanks OS! I figure, someone had to represent for the positive sh*t team.
Last edited by unknownscholar on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 am

Kim617 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

EFF law school predictor. I am "Consider" for NYU and they outright rejected me. I'm sorry, I'm still not over it. It hurts.

MEAN! Yeah I got waitlisted at Hastings. Wtf. I would have given it really strong consideration had they let me in.

My numbers are accurate, but my GPA's halfway to 3.4 (would have been over... mono + peritonsillar abscess that necessitated a hospital stay... during THREE calc midterms)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:

Get in? I've been claiming it since I was "waitlisted". Waitlisted, schmaitlisted. I'm in. They just don't know it yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh ok. I thought you were waiting on a result still. Did you apply full time? Is there any theory that calling and requesting you be considered for PT at this point will make a difference? Someone pmed me and said they were accepted PT and were able to call and immediately be put in the full time program...

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Re: free Cardozo: if it's a guaranteed full ride, it may come down to what you want to do with your JD. Cardozo is improving, but it's still not known for giving people great odds at big firms. ITE, no school outside the T10 is, but in a somewhat recovered economy (hopefully what the class of '13 will be facing) your chances of landing a firm job or prestigious government/big name PI employment/clerkships will be better out of Fordham than out of Cardozo.

However, I have to tell you that UVA is extremely credited. That school has enough trolls on TLS, so I don't need to be pressed into service, but I will take a minute to tell you about all the kind, selfless, wonderful people I adore who go to UVA. I don't know if they are a representative sample, but if I ever have any trouble, or need advice, consolation, or help, a UVA student will come find me and help me. I could go on for pages about how sweet, friendly, and helpful their students are, but actions speak louder than words, so I'll fess up and say I'm going down to visit at the end of the month.

thanks, OS!!! that seems like very sound advice. i would go to UVA in a heartbeat if not for the marital/financial concerns. everyone on TLS who goes there does seem very cool. i think the school would be a great fit for me, and a nice change of scenery (been in nyc/LI all my life. not that there's anywhere better than nyc!). i really appreciate the insight and will keep you all updated on my decision!
:D :D :D

edit: the cardozo scholly IS guaranteed for all 3 years. hence the tough decision! and i'm 99% sure i want NYC biglaw.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am

sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:

oh ok. I thought you were waiting on a result still. Did you apply full time? Is there any theory that calling and requesting you be considered for PT at this point will make a difference? Someone pmed me and said they were accepted PT and were able to call and immediately be put in the full time program...

You'll get your letter soon, which will give you the opportunity to check the "both" box, to be considered for both programs. You can always email them and request, but getting in that little paper with the signature is super important.

Oh yea, I did apply to FT, and requested both from the WL letter.
Last edited by unknownscholar on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:

You'll get your letter soon, which will give you the opportunity to check the "both" box, to be considered for both programs. You can always email them and request, but getting in that little paper with the signature is super important.

forgot about that! Thanks. Will do it... can't see it hurting me, especially since I'm realizing I should get a pretty decent need-based grant from anywhere I apply anyway. Does anyone know how the financial aid works in schools generally?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:The way I look at it, what's better for your career? Loans really suck, and I'll be financing my entire education with loans, but ultimately I feel that it will pay out in the long run. Free is amazing, but I'd still probably pick the higher ranked school if I want big law or a good government job. It's a torturous decision that you probably won't even have to make because you'll get into NYU :D

yeah! +1! instead of focusing on this right now, how about you plan in another area? look up the most helpful study aids... decide if you're going to buy a new computer or need to update your wardrobe... wardrobe is a funny word. make a list of COLs... etc.

THANKS, GUYS! seriously, if NYU would just let me in, this nightmare would be over! and sibley, i am always updating my wardrobe. i might need to slow that down.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

re: good government job comments -- I work for the Federal government now and interact with many many attorneys or Feds with JDs who arent in strict law-related jobs. There are some programs and offices that are very snobby about where applicants went to school (DOJ honors, anything appellate, some civil division offices). That said, many of the very successful Feds I know did not go to top schools. There are a lot of Catholic, American, and GMU grads at my agency's OGC office. My boss was chief counsel on a major Senate committee and ran OGC and leg affairs offices at other agencies and she went to the University of South Carolina. I have noticed that there are a lot of Fordham grads working as judges and prosecutors around NY, which is impressive. I guess my point is that if you're thinking of going on a route other than biglaw, the prerequisites are not as cut and dry. That said, I think I'd drop my full ride if Columbia smiled upon me.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 am

chutzpah wrote:re: good government job comments -- I work for the Federal government now and interact with many many attorneys or Feds with JDs who arent in strict law-related jobs. There are some programs and offices that are very snobby about where applicants went to school (DOJ honors, anything appellate, some civil division offices). That said, many of the very successful Feds I know did not go to top schools. There are a lot of Catholic, American, and GMU grads at my agency's OGC office. My boss was chief counsel on a major Senate committee and ran OGC and leg affairs offices at other agencies and she went to the University of South Carolina. I have noticed that there are a lot of Fordham grads working as judges and prosecutors around NY, which is impressive. I guess my point is that if you're thinking of going on a route other than biglaw, the prerequisites are not as cut and dry. That said, I think I'd drop my full ride if Columbia smiled upon me.

Sorry, I should've clarified. I meant like DOJ jobs, because that's what I'd be interested in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”