Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unknownscholar

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby unknownscholar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:The walk AROUND fordham is the issue, and the undergrads dress badly, as do the highschoolers that are around.

Wait, wha? I fail to see how this is an issue?

OMG, the law students dress poorly too! I know it's a non-issue and I wasn't even going to mention it, but now that you did, it had to be said. I cringed about 5 times. This could be because I am in fashion school, but seriously the fashion is just lacking. I'm sure there are plenty of decent dressers, I just didn't get to meet them.

edit to say that that's so snarky and obnoxious of me to say, i know. also, i'm not talking like sweatpants out of laziness, i'm talking about actual effort put into creating the outfit and it being bad. ha, i guess us girls notice stuff like that.

and btw, someone mentioned the bronx campus, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. if you have a chance, i'd head up there to see it. it was one of my top choices for undergrad because it's just such a beautiful school. the surrounding area isn't so great, but it is really like it's own little world.

I can't believe I have to step in and adjudicate this thread. I'm not happy about this. I'll leave off just how not happy I am about this particular post. As a fashion school graduate myself, I can assure you that there are many people at my school who dress very well, but the stress of law school often leaves us little time to focus on putting outfits together. When I am very busy with legal writing projects, interviewing, or exam prep, I usually come to school in knee boots, leggings, a slouchy top and a cashmere scarf. It's not the kind of creation I would have put together in UG, but I am in law school now, and that has to come first.

I'm also shocked by the PT/FT animosity. We're all classmates and classmates to be, and as a part time student, many of my closest friends are in the day program. We found out when they did.

Lastly, we're here to support one another, and I stayed on TLS because I had hoped, when I was applying, that someone would offer me advice and guidance. This is not the bitter pessimism thread. If you're looking for the BP, it got moved to the lounge.

I'm friends with many of you, and this really just makes me sad.

see...you're why I can't wait to get to fordham. tell us like it is! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 pm

unknownscholar wrote:see...you're why I can't wait to get to fordham. tell us like it is! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

that and you're going to have the best reading comprehension of anyone there. good for future opportunities.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:41 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
even2flow wrote:Wait, wha? I fail to see how this is an issue?

OMG, the law students dress poorly too! I know it's a non-issue and I wasn't even going to mention it, but now that you did, it had to be said. I cringed about 5 times. This could be because I am in fashion school, but seriously the fashion is just lacking. I'm sure there are plenty of decent dressers, I just didn't get to meet them.

edit to say that that's so snarky and obnoxious of me to say, i know. also, i'm not talking like sweatpants out of laziness, i'm talking about actual effort put into creating the outfit and it being bad. ha, i guess us girls notice stuff like that.

and btw, someone mentioned the bronx campus, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. if you have a chance, i'd head up there to see it. it was one of my top choices for undergrad because it's just such a beautiful school. the surrounding area isn't so great, but it is really like it's own little world.

I can't believe I have to step in and adjudicate this thread. I'm not happy about this. I'll leave off just how not happy I am about this particular post. As a fashion school graduate myself, I can assure you that there are many people at my school who dress very well, but the stress of law school often leaves us little time to focus on putting outfits together. When I am very busy with legal writing projects, interviewing, or exam prep, I usually come to school in knee boots, leggings, a slouchy top and a cashmere scarf. It's not the kind of creation I would have put together in UG, but I am in law school now, and that has to come first.

I'm also shocked by the PT/FT animosity. We're all classmates and classmates to be, and as a part time student, many of my closest friends are in the day program. We found out when they did.

Lastly, we're here to support one another, and I stayed on TLS because I had hoped, when I was applying, that someone would offer me advice and guidance. This is not the bitter pessimism thread. If you're looking for the BP, it got moved to the lounge.

I'm friends with many of you, and this really just makes me sad.

see...you're why I can't wait to get to fordham. tell us like it is! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Tell like it is? Really? Censorship makes me NOT want to go to Fordham. Suddenly we're not allowed to say what we believe. Welcome to the USSR of TLS threads people!

It's a little dramatic but so is all this High School BS. I'm only 21 and I feel too old for this.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Kim617 wrote:Tell like it is? Really? Censorship makes me NOT want to go to Fordham. Suddenly we're not allowed to say what we believe. Welcome to the USSR of TLS threads people!

It's a little dramatic but so is all this High School BS. I'm only 21 and I feel too old for this.

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about it as well. I don't understand what the issue is with anyone thinking a random stranger is dressed badly on a particular day. it doesn't lead to the generalization that all strangers dress badly, or even that that stranger always dresses badly. nor does it have any influence on the way that we perceive that individual, past the initial impression. we're adults and I think/hope that we know how to appropriately consider people.

I'm not sure how it's an afront to the school, nor am I sure why people care. If anyone would care to explain I'd gladly listen, but as it stands I'm also feeling the need to tip-toe around here, and am feeling the oppression of my small-town childhood in a very unexpected place.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm

joke? ha ha? cmon. :lol: :lol:

I like OS. She makes the wait more pleasant.

All this banter doesnt.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Tell like it is? Really? Censorship makes me NOT want to go to Fordham. Suddenly we're not allowed to say what we believe. Welcome to the USSR of TLS threads people!

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about it as well. I don't understand what the issue is with anyone thinking a random stranger is dressed badly on a particular day. it doesn't lead to the generalization that all strangers dress badly, or even that that stranger always dresses badly. nor does it have any influence on the way that we perceive that individual, past the initial impression. we're adults and I think/hope that we know how to appropriately consider people.

I'm not sure how it's an afront to the school, nor am I sure why people care. If anyone would care to explain I'd gladly listen, but as it stands I'm also feeling the need to tip-toe around here, and am feeling the oppression of my small-town childhood in a very unexpected place.

Yeah, and I'm a little surprised that being so busy in school, operasoprano searched the thread for my comment. Or did someone run and tell mommy? Whatever, this is so high school and I'm not going to apologize for what I said. This is pathetic.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:51 pm

unknownscholar wrote:joke? ha ha? cmon. :lol: :lol:

All this banter doesnt.

I like her too. And I appreciate her devotion to her school.

But I don't like this perception I have of being attacked.
Last edited by sibley on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm

All this banter doesnt.

Well then people need to stop calling me out publicly for a pretty innocent and irrelevant comment. If you have a problem with me, PM me. Or else you're going to get a piece of mind when you bring up this crap. This is BS. Plain and simple. It's like dealing with children.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Kim617 wrote:

All this banter doesnt.

Well then people need to stop calling me out publicly for a pretty innocent and irrelevant comment. If you have a problem with me, PM me. Or else you're going to get a piece of mind when you bring up this crap. This is BS. Plain and simple. It's like dealing with children.

I hope none of us are in Congress one day. We'd fit right in. but God we'd get no where.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:53 pm

The bickering in this thread got past the point of pathetic and immature today. Hope its just the "late in the admissions cycle" blues talking today.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Kim617 wrote:oh no, this again. in my post i even mentioned how there were probably MANY decent dressers, just the few i came in contact with weren't my cup of tea. how is this a big deal?!!?? i cannot actually believe people are getting so worked up. seriously, "sad" over my comment? i'm not that important for it to affect peoples' emotions. it sucks you're unhappy, but i stand by what i said. and i don't think it's anyone's responsibility to tell me what i can and cannot say, especially because i didn't use any inappropriate language. i am flabbergasted that this is STILL an issue. operasoprano, i like you, but THIS makes me sad. that people who are on their way to law school are so offended about a comment about fashion. people need to grow thicker skin because life gets a lot worse than some random person's comment about what random people are wearing.

GOD I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE WITH THIS

I found what you said to be personally offensive. You have never been a law student, and are hardly in a position to judge my classmates. You will notice that I never cast aspersions on you, nor did I make comments or remarks calculated to offend or belittle in return. Neither, in point of fact, did I censor you at all. All of your original language remains. It is not my job to tell you what to say, but neither should you expect me to be silent if you deliberately insult my classmates. You and I, of all people, should know that it's not "just fashion." It is something that I take personal pride in, even if it's no longer my area of study.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 pm

dakatz wrote:The bickering in this thread got past the point of pathetic and immature today. Hope its just the "late in the admissions cycle" blues talking today.

for reals.

::waits for status checker to change::

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 pm

OS,
I have some questions with regard to Fordham PT - can I PM you?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Kim617 wrote:oh no, this again. in my post i even mentioned how there were probably MANY decent dressers, just the few i came in contact with weren't my cup of tea. how is this a big deal?!!?? i cannot actually believe people are getting so worked up. seriously, "sad" over my comment? i'm not that important for it to affect peoples' emotions. it sucks you're unhappy, but i stand by what i said. and i don't think it's anyone's responsibility to tell me what i can and cannot say, especially because i didn't use any inappropriate language. i am flabbergasted that this is STILL an issue. operasoprano, i like you, but THIS makes me sad. that people who are on their way to law school are so offended about a comment about fashion. people need to grow thicker skin because life gets a lot worse than some random person's comment about what random people are wearing.

I found what you said to be personally offensive. You have never been a law student, and are hardly in a position to judge my classmates. You will notice that I never cast aspersions on you, nor did I make comments or remarks calculated to offend or belittle in return. Neither, in point of fact, did I censor you at all. All of your original language remains. It is not my job to tell you what to say, but neither should you expect me to be silent if you deliberately insult my classmates. You and I, of all people, should know that it's not "just fashion." It is something that I take personal pride in, even if it's no longer my area of study.

i wasn't talking about you, therefore my opinion shouldn't offend you. if it does, that's rough for you. deliberately insult your classmates? c'mon, really? give me a break. i'm not defending my comments anymore, this is so ridiculous. get over it. i'm not apologizing because my comments weren't offensive. saying i didn't like what someone was wearing is NOT offensive and i don't care if people are too sensitive to just ignore it. if you don't like it, then ignore it.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 am

lol.

I gotta be honest. I dunno about everyone else, but I really don't give a damn about any of this. I don't care about fashion. or the fighting.

I care about fordham law.

I just want to continue sharing my love for fordham. really. Call me crazy for sticking around here hoping someone can get us back to it.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:04 am

unknownscholar wrote:lol.

I gotta be honest. I dunno about everyone else, but I really don't give a damn about any of this. I don't care about fashion. or the fighting.

I care about fordham law.

I just want to continue sharing my love for fordham. really. Call me crazy for sticking around here hoping someone can get us back to it.

i wish people would stop bringing it up. it's getting annoying now and pissing me off. like, she had to take time out of her schedule to search for it and call me out? seriously? ENOUGH ALREADY I'M BORED THIS IS RIDICULOUS

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 am

ok. SO moving right along.

Kim, what's keeping you so tight-fisted with your admit ticket for Fordham? Is it the money? Or Is there anything else you care to share with us who are waiting to get in? Some of us are drooling over that ticket. I know you're 99% set on GULC...so just wondering what's going on with last percent.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 am

unknownscholar wrote:ok. SO moving right along.

Kim, what's keeping you so tight-fisted with your admit ticket for Fordham? Is it the money? Or Is there anything else you care to share with us who are waiting to get in? Some of us are drooling over that ticket. I know you're 99% set on GULC...so just wondering what's going on with last percent.

well you can't really blame her... it's safer, and what if she changes her mind? My bf was at this thing in NY tonight, and he relayed the message of the speaker: you don't owe your employer anything. they'll fire you as soon as they need to. feel free to keep applying to jobs while you're working there. It carries over to school. Keep your seat as long as you need it... as long as you need to be sure, to lay out your plans. Stuff changes and there's no reason to screw oneself over because of it. Plus the adcomms account ahead of time for people leaving, hence sometimes overenrolling... her giving up her spot isn't likely to open one up.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 am

Well, I haven't visited Georgetown, I'm going at the end of the month, so I'm not positive about it. I don't think I'm being tight-fisted, I'm not obligated to give it up just because I'm not 100% set on Fordham. I need to have my options, especially since I haven't seen GULC yet. Is that the problem that everyone has with me? That I haven't withdrawn? I understand that people want to be accepted, but I don't think I should rush my decision to accommodate everyone else. I want to be sure, this is my life, and I worked my butt off to get numbers that would give me a choice between a Fordham scholarship or attending GULC. I'm sorry if people are waiting on me, but I have to make the right choice for me. If I go to GULC, I'm leaving the city I've lived in since the day I was born. I reserve the right to take the time to make the decision. I'm sorry if I'm holding up another person's admission.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 am

sibley wrote:

You can't blame her... it's safer, and what if she changes her mind? My bf was at this thing in NY tonight, and he relayed the message of the speaker: you don't owe your employer anything. they'll fire you as soon as they need to. feel free to keep applying to jobs while you're working there. It carries over to school. Keep your seat as long as you need it... as long as you need to be sure, to lay out your plans. Stuff changes and there's no reason to screw oneself over because of it. Plus the adcomms account ahead of time for people leaving, hence sometimes overenrolling... her giving up her spot isn't likely to open one up.

It was an honest question...not intended to persuade her to give it up. No one blames her. I'm curious is all. I was hoping she'd give us more insight on why she liked fordham, if it was for another reason other than the money. ya know, some of us wanna get more insight about the school's appeal?

edit: lol. omg. okay. nevermind the question. taken totally out of context. someone else who's on the fence after being admitted, feel free to chime in here. please and thanks. :P
Last edited by unknownscholar on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:19 am

Kim617 wrote: I'm sorry if I'm holding up another person's admission.

don't worry, you aren't.

and US, yeah I understand that. I just saw the potential to view a threat in the question so I wanted to put in my two cents since Kim's still a little riled up, as she of course has a right to be.

going to bed, all. good night.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am

unknownscholar wrote:
sibley wrote:

You can't blame her... it's safer, and what if she changes her mind? My bf was at this thing in NY tonight, and he relayed the message of the speaker: you don't owe your employer anything. they'll fire you as soon as they need to. feel free to keep applying to jobs while you're working there. It carries over to school. Keep your seat as long as you need it... as long as you need to be sure, to lay out your plans. Stuff changes and there's no reason to screw oneself over because of it. Plus the adcomms account ahead of time for people leaving, hence sometimes overenrolling... her giving up her spot isn't likely to open one up.

It was an honest question...not intended to persuade her to give it up. No one blames her. I'm curious is all. I was hoping she'd give us more insight on why she liked fordham, if it was for another reason other than the money. ya know, some of us wanna get more insight about the school's appeal?

Well, the location is important. I'm from NY and Fordham was sort of my safety school, which worked out that way because I was WL at CLS and rejected at NYU, and would be the only opportunity to stay in NY. To be honest, I expected a WL from GULC, so when I got in, I became more excited about the T14 opportunity and studying in DC. After I visited Fordham, I was sort of disappointed and it didn't feel like a fit for me. However, if GULC isn't a fit either, then Fordham will have to be my choice because being in NY is better even if I don't like the school all that much.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 am

Kim617 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

i wasn't talking about you, therefore my opinion shouldn't offend you. if it does, that's rough for you. deliberately insult your classmates? c'mon, really? give me a break. i'm not defending my comments anymore, this is so ridiculous. get over it. i'm not apologizing because my comments weren't offensive. saying i didn't like what someone was wearing is NOT offensive and i don't care if people are too sensitive to just ignore it. if you don't like it, then ignore it.

May I ask what the point was, then? Just a general exercise in rudeness? You were offensive, and you realized it at the time when you characterized your own remark as snarky. The gracious thing for you to do is to let the matter drop.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:27 am

OperaSoprano wrote:May I ask what the point was, then? Just a general exercise in rudeness? You were offensive, and you realized it at the time when you characterized your own remark as snarky. The gracious thing for you to do is to let the matter drop.

it's fairly obvious what the point was, i was responding to someone else's similar comment. i didn't think i was offensive, and i still don't. STOP BRINGING IT UP. you're the one who searched and searched to find it! i dropped it hours ago. stop talking to me about it. thanks.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am

OperaSoprano wrote:When I am very busy with legal writing projects, interviewing, or exam prep, I usually come to school in knee boots, leggings, a slouchy top and a cashmere scarf.

this is my version of a cute outfit! :oops:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”