Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goosey

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:31 pm

softey wrote:Got in last week via e-mail. It feels so good.

Congratulations!!!

To whoever quoted frm the class of 2013/2014 thread: any idea as to why they think well be getting a lot of acceptances this week?

Every time my phone makes the email noise, my heart flutterrs. Then I see its carrie mansfield offering me another scholarship--what school is that anyway?!

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 pm

goosey wrote:
softey wrote:Got in last week via e-mail. It feels so good.

Congratulations!!!

To whoever quoted frm the class of 2013/2014 thread: any idea as to why they think well be getting a lot of acceptances this week?

Every time my phone makes the email noise, my heart flutterrs. Then I see its carrie mansfield offering me another scholarship--what school is that anyway?!

The quote was in reference to a day where there were a bunch of acceptances (I think it was Friday?)

After the big wave of acceptances, my innate pessimism is thinking a wave of WLs/rejects may be coming :?

But we remain positive here, see:

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:56 pm

goosey wrote:Every time my phone makes the email noise, my heart flutterrs. Then I see its carrie mansfield offering me another scholarship--what school is that anyway?!

I'm with you. She must do nothing all day but draft email blasts offering scholarships.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm

hi guys! I'm on the bus on my way back from nyc. I visited Fordham yesterday, didn't meet with anyone just took a self-guided tour. Also stopped by Brooklyn and Cardozo (but didn't tour either). I didn't much like the environment around Fordham, but it's nice and close to the park. I didn't think the building was as unattractive as you all have been saying. Seemed pretty standardly schooly, though the tunnels did remind me of high school a little bit. Thought it seemed pretty comfortable, in general.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

sibley wrote:hi guys! I'm on the bus on my way back from nyc. I visited Fordham yesterday, didn't meet with anyone just took a self-guided tour. Also stopped by Brooklyn and Cardozo (but didn't tour either). I didn't much like the environment around Fordham, but it's nice and close to the park. I didn't think the building was as unattractive as you all have been saying. Seemed pretty standardly schooly, though the tunnels did remind me of high school a little bit. Thought it seemed pretty comfortable, in general.

do explain!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:36 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:hi guys! I'm on the bus on my way back from nyc. I visited Fordham yesterday, didn't meet with anyone just took a self-guided tour. Also stopped by Brooklyn and Cardozo (but didn't tour either). I didn't much like the environment around Fordham, but it's nice and close to the park. I didn't think the building was as unattractive as you all have been saying. Seemed pretty standardly schooly, though the tunnels did remind me of high school a little bit. Thought it seemed pretty comfortable, in general.

do explain!

it was all constructiony and busily crowded and grey. less cozy feeling than cardozo's location.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

do explain!

it was all constructiony and busily crowded and grey. less cozy feeling than cardozo's location.

Did you take pictures? I'm curious as to what you mean by grey but standardly schooly. I'm currently thinking "prison" :(

Agh, I'm gonna hafta make a trip down there at some point in the near future I guess.

Edit - assuming I don't get rejected before then, in which case I will be going to NYC but mostly to drink away my sorrows.
Last edited by even2flow on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

do explain!

yeah the construction was somewhat unappealing. overall, i like the neighborhood, though. i did a few internships right nearby. good restaurants, very safe, central park...

i'm looking forward to seeing cardozo next week!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I LOVE the area that the school is in. I have a close friend from college who lives a few blocks away so I'm pretty familiar with it.

The building, at least the outside, does leave something to be desired. But you're in NYC, so who cares??!!

Edit: the proposed new building looks pretty sweet....

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:02 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I LOVE the area that the school is in. I have a close friend from college who lives a few blocks away so I'm pretty familiar with it.

The building, at least the outside, does leave something to be desired. But you're in NYC, so who cares??!!

The new building is supposed to open Fall 2011, right? So our entering class, hypothetically, will only be "living" in the current building for 1L?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:06 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I LOVE the area that the school is in. I have a close friend from college who lives a few blocks away so I'm pretty familiar with it.

I don't mind the building so much - the schooly bit is just that there are all those lockers in the tunnel and not much else. The rest seems comfortable and decent, though I wish that room with the skylight had more seating areas than a few messed up tables (but maybe they did? there was a big pile of chairs in the corner). I like the idea of being able to study outside while at school, too.

The walk AROUND fordham is the issue, and the undergrads dress badly, as do the highschoolers that are around. But having it so close to the park makes up for the gross city-ness that the surroundings convey. And like you said... it's NYC. You don't have to go really far to change your atmosphere.

My bf's parents say I can stay with them until I find an apartment I like, and I can ride in on the train with his dad =). His mom said that to me, and I shouted to his dad, who was in the kitchen "You hear that?" "What?" "We're gonna be commuting together!" "GREAT!" ...it was cute.

...where is the new building going to be? was that the obnoxious construction? also, it seemed fordham's undergrads were at lincoln center... so what the heck do they keep on their 'main' campus?

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

sibley wrote:The walk AROUND fordham is the issue, and the undergrads dress badly, as do the highschoolers that are around.

Wait, wha? I fail to see how this is an issue?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm

2011 or 2012, supposedly. I live in the area and LOVE it. I mean, ya - it looks like a school, not like hogwarts. It's an urban school. I guess it all depends on your perspective. I think it's rather beautiful. The main campus is quite large and houses most of the undergrad - I don't know what you were seeing. As for the "gross" cityness and how people dress? I've got nothing. I love this city, have lived here for 19 years. This made me sad.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm

If you think the cityness of Lincoln Center is bad, it's a good thing the law school isn't on the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx...

Although you do have the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo up there.
Last edited by rockthelaw on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm

even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:The walk AROUND fordham is the issue, and the undergrads dress badly, as do the highschoolers that are around.

I thought the majority of the undergrads were in the Bronx and Westchester? Just checked wikipedia and only about 1,800 undergrads study there. Those were probably grad and law students you saw.

ALSO, LaGuardia high school is right there and those kids are known for being weird... ahem, artsy. Weird but really effing talented.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:15 pm

nygrrrl wrote:2011 or 2012, supposedly. I live in the area and LOVE it. I mean, ya - it looks like a school, not like hogwarts. It's an urban school. I guess it all depends on your perspective. I think it's rather beautiful. The main campus is quite large and houses most of the undergrad - I don't know what you were seeing. As for the "gross" cityness and how people dress? I've got nothing. I love this city, have lived here for 19 years. This made me sad.

awwww no don't be sad! I still like it lots and would definitely attend. I just think greenwich village would be more my speed. and the gross cityness is only right there, you know, construction and that ugly grey wall (which holds up the nice grassy area! see, I see the perks).

even2flow wrote:

it's not really an issue. it's just that I'm big on environment, and small on distractions, and they were distracting.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 pm

even2flow wrote:

I don't see how this is an issue as well unless I'm looking at it from the wrong angle. As someone who enjoys dressing well this can only be a good thing as you would look even better by comparasion? lol

And yea, even if you don't dig the immediate surrondings around Fordham, Central Park is literally minutes away, you couldn't ask for more, especially around summer time. Aaaaah, I'm so excited, the weather here is finally starting to warm up, I kinda wanna just leave work now and head over to the park now...

Oh and sibley, I guess you got lucky and picked a great weekend to visit NYC as this has been the best weekend weather wise in a while :D

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 pm

chutzpah wrote:
even2flow wrote:

I thought the majority of the undergrads were in the Bronx and Westchester? Just checked wikipedia and only about 1,800 undergrads study there. Those were probably grad and law students you saw.

ALSO, LaGuardia high school is right there and those kids are known for being weird... ahem, artsy. Weird but really effing talented.

that explains it! I assumed they came out of the Professional Children's School (because what the heck is that???). as for the undergrads... there have to be quite a few, as I went and talked to reslife and they have the first 14 floors of the residence hall, then split the next few floors with law students, then law students have I think the top 3(?) to themselves. nice views for us!

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 pm

nygrrrl wrote:2011 or 2012, supposedly. I live in the area and LOVE it. I mean, ya - it looks like a school, not like hogwarts. It's an urban school. I guess it all depends on your perspective. I think it's rather beautiful. The main campus is quite large and houses most of the undergrad - I don't know what you were seeing. As for the "gross" cityness and how people dress? I've got nothing. I love this city, have lived here for 19 years. This made me sad.

That's what I was figuring. Plus as a 1L, do you HONESTLY think I'm going to shower or dress appropriately every day before class?

The answer to that riddle is no.

I've been around the area before, but still haven't seen the school. I'm gonna go down and visit friends in April and I was gonna take a look at it then (again, assuming I don't get shut out before then), but I figured it was like anything else in NYC.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

How sweet would that be?!?!

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Also, being someone who moved from the suburbs to a moderaetly urban environment after college, you get used to the 'cityness' pretty quick. Except this homeless guy who tells me to go eff myself when I don't give him change.

He sucks.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 pm

got the admitted students site email! will let you guys know if there's anything interesting there.

EDIT: deadline reminders, finanicial aid info and forms, and the date of an Admitted Students Reception...Saturday, 3/27. What are all the orthos to do?? I really hope there's a weekday/Sunday event later on.
Last edited by hannah87 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:Oh and sibley, I guess you got lucky and picked a great weekend to visit NYC as this has been the best weekend weather wise in a while :D

The weather was incredible (good, to prevent my BRRRRR bias). I had a great time. We went snowboarding in MA the night before... he went snowboarding, I went up to the top of the mountain once, got halfway down (fell every 3 seconds, couldn't get the board to serpentine was was way too afraid to go fast)... and ended up walking the rest of the way. In NY we went to Mee Noodle and wandered around a little bit. Did you know pinkberry has chocolate now? Best thing ever. I'm not big on 'refreshing' flavors.

oh! I forgot to mention. I ran into a 2L who was on the law review. he told me the first year wasn't actually too bad (I'd heard it was always worse the first year) and he probably put in 5 to 10 hours a week. next year he's got a position-whatever-thing and that'll take up more time. he was a nice guy. I liked the Fordham kids. They were like me, slightly older than I'm used to seeing but still young (I spend a lot of time on my undergrad campus visiting my bf).

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:28 pm

E2F, you tell me when you're coming, i'll buy you a beer.
HE - check out Michigan's library. Swear to god, looks just like Harry P's dining hall.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I remember when I first moved to nyc a few years back. My first apt was in Harlem. No need to even describe what that was like. 6 months later, I was in love with it. And nothing really changed, except that I got used to it: the trash...the p***y smell on the subway in the morn, the way 34th street station smells like 2 sweaty gym socks in the summer, the m101 from 125th to 23rd, the African women in Harlem asking me to braid my fro everytime I walk outside...the 20min waits for elevators....the ACCESS to everything. I'm in love with the city. And that has contributed significantly to my desire to attend Fordham, not to mention that it's one of the few schools in the city where I feel like I'm a great fit.

When it comes to NYC and Fordham, I feel like the trashcan man from The Stand:
My Life for You!! :twisted:

so...Take Me :!:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”