Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am

andreea! i didn't end up on the 6 pm tour. i met with admissions for only 20 minutes (which was really great! no decision though) and was told that i might as well do the "self-guided tour" instead of waiting an hour for the student-led tour. my husband is sick, so i figured it made more sense to get out of there earlier. please let me know how the official tour was...the self-guided was good, but i'm sure yours was better. sorry we didn't get to meet![/quote]

Hey Hannah,

I figured you probably did the self-guided tour. I wouldn't say you missed a lot by not doing the organized tour. The guy who did it was very nice and I guess if you had specific questions you wanted to ask it could have been helpful. The tour itself -- well, you saw the building, not that much to see really in my opinion. I was not blown away. Just the typical functional kind of building.Not that it is a factor at all in my decision -- a building is a building after all. I mostly wanted to get a sense of what the students are like there, what the atmosphere is like. It seemed cozy enough.

The one remarkable thing was meeting the head of research in the library. He talked to us about the way Fordham teaches legal research differently from the others schools in New York, using more up-to-date and efficient methods. Whether that is accurate entirely, I don't know, but it sounded good as he was describing it. The other thing that was interesting, the student who did the tour with us said that many classs have an international outlook in that the professors try to give you an overview of what's going on out there in the field even if it is not an international law class. Hope I understdood this correctly.

This guy said that Fordham does indeed take a long time to give candidates an answer. He didn't seem surprised at all we haven't heard from the university yet. Btw, he was a part-time student so he was not as much in the know about some things going on for full-time students.

I asked him what was one thing that took him by surprise when he started and he wishes he had known beforehand and he said it was the amount of reading. He is also working so he realized he was not able to set aside as much time for reading. So bottom line is if you can do the full-time and not work full-time, then it is a good idea. He said he is only reading during the weekends and sometimes he can even have his weekend nights free. He seemed excited with the IP program, which was his focus. (He graduated from Princeton with a graduate degree in chemistry.) He suggested to be a week ahead on his readings, though he said professors suggest to be two weeks ahead on your readings.

I also asked whether there is anything he would recommend to help us prepare for the legal writing class, and he suggested "Getting to Maybe," which I believe was also posted on another thread on LSN, with the caveat that we may not understand all of it prior to starting classes.

For those who did not take a tour: they have lockers for everyone and a cafeteria. I believe they serve free coffee at the cafeteria. During final exams they put out coffee and free breakfast all day long. (An alumnus donated money for that.) I know it's a small thing but it just seemed like such a nice idea, having them care about our needs during finals.

For those who have not visited, I would not fly all the way from God knows where just for a tour of Fordham -- not because the school is not great, but I am not sure it is worth coming all the way just to get 45 minutes in which you see some classrooms and study rooms. My opinion. For those living outside of New York, the school is in a good neighborhood and lots of public transportation. School housing is about a block away from the school as I understood, though some of this housing is at market rate.

Hannah, hope your husband feels better.

Maybe we will meet some other time.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 am

andreea7 wrote:
Hey Hannah,

I figured you probably did the self-guided tour. I wouldn't say you missed a lot by not doing the organized tour. The guy who did it was very nice and I guess if you had specific questions you wanted to ask it could have been helpful. The tour itself -- well, you saw the building, not that much to see really in my opinion. I was not blown away. Just the typical functional kind of building.Not that it is a factor at all in my decision -- a building is a building after all. I mostly wanted to get a sense of what the students are like there, what the atmosphere is like. It seemed cozy enough.

The one remarkable thing was meeting the head of research in the library. He talked to us about the way Fordham teaches legal research differently from the others schools in New York, using more up-to-date and efficient methods. Whether that is accurate entirely, I don't know, but it sounded good as he was describing it. The other thing that was interesting, the student who did the tour with us said that many classs have an international outlook in that the professors try to give you an overview of what's going on out there in the field even if it is not an international law class. Hope I understdood this correctly.

This guy said that Fordham does indeed take a long time to give candidates an answer. He didn't seem surprised at all we haven't heard from the university yet. Btw, he was a part-time student so he was not as much in the know about some things going on for full-time students.

I asked him what was one thing that took him by surprise when he started and he wishes he had known beforehand and he said it was the amount of reading. He is also working so he realized he was not able to set aside as much time for reading. So bottom line is if you can do the full-time and not work full-time, then it is a good idea. He said he is only reading during the weekends and sometimes he can even have his weekend nights free. He seemed excited with the IP program, which was his focus. (He graduated from Princeton with a graduate degree in chemistry.) He suggested to be a week ahead on his readings, though he said professors suggest to be two weeks ahead on your readings.

I also asked whether there is anything he would recommend to help us prepare for the legal writing class, and he suggested "Getting to Maybe," which I believe was also posted on another thread on LSN, with the caveat that we may not understand all of it prior to starting classes.

For those who did not take a tour: they have lockers for everyone and a cafeteria. I believe they serve free coffee at the cafeteria. During final exams they put out coffee and free breakfast all day long. (An alumnus donated money for that.) I know it's a small thing but it just seemed like such a nice idea, having them care about our needs during finals.

For those who have not visited, I would not fly all the way from God knows where just for a tour of Fordham -- not because the school is not great, but I am not sure it is worth coming all the way just to get 45 minutes in which you see some classrooms and study rooms. My opinion. For those living outside of New York, the school is in a good neighborhood and lots of public transportation. School housing is about a block away from the school as I understood, though some of this housing is at market rate.

Hannah, hope your husband feels better.

Maybe we will meet some other time.


wow, great summary!! thanks for the good wishes. i felt the same way about the building itself, but i don't really mind. funny what you said about the free breakfast and coffee- my favorite thing was a flyer posted in the stairwell for a "Cupcake and Ice Cream Break" hosted by the dean. it made me feel warm and fuzzy. and hungry.
Last edited by hannah87 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 am

andreea7 wrote:He seemed excited with the IP program, which was his focus. (He graduated from Princeton with a graduate degree in chemistry.)


Did he mention MS/PhD and who he worked for/and is working for now by any chance? Stalkerish, I know, but I'm just curious.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am

even2flow wrote:
andreea7 wrote:He seemed excited with the IP program, which was his focus. (He graduated from Princeton with a graduate degree in chemistry.)


Did he mention MS/PhD and who he worked for/and is working for now by any chance? Stalkerish, I know, but I'm just curious.



Hmm, he didn't mention, he just said graduate research. But I understand he had a job he really liked from before and he mentioned a friend who got him started in the IP area. I was not paying a lot of attention at the time so not sure. But I know he wasn't interested in what the career office had to offer because he had his own thing going on.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 am

Btw, I am working now....what's up with me on this forum? haha

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am

andreea7 wrote:Btw, I am working now....what's up with me on this forum? haha


+1. I fear being fired. But I get all my work done, and I ask for more. And it wouldn't be the end of the world, as I have plans to resign in late July anyway.

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 pm

andreea7 wrote:Hmm, he didn't mention, he just said graduate research. But I understand he had a job he really liked from before and he mentioned a friend who got him started in the IP area. I was not paying a lot of attention at the time so not sure. But I know he wasn't interested in what the career office had to offer because he had his own thing going on.

Ahh. Princeton is an awesome chem school with some of the biggest names in the business currently doing research there. As a result, I've seen a ton of work that's come out of there, and was just kinda wondering about the jump from one to the other, and if he mentioned if he was doing chemistry research or doing IP stuff as his work.

Again, really creepy, specific questions...but ya I had a point, I swear.

Also, I spend a ton of time here while at work. My work comes in waves. Some days I'm swamped, others I'm reading wikipedia artciles on the history of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No big deal.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

andreea7 wrote:Btw, I am working now....what's up with me on this forum? haha


I spend more time on here at work than at home. I justify it by realizing that you need "brain breaks" and by the fact that all of my work is done on time or early anyway. No worries.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 pm

even2flow wrote:
andreea7 wrote:Hmm, he didn't mention, he just said graduate research. But I understand he had a job he really liked from before and he mentioned a friend who got him started in the IP area. I was not paying a lot of attention at the time so not sure. But I know he wasn't interested in what the career office had to offer because he had his own thing going on.

Ahh. Princeton is an awesome chem school with some of the biggest names in the business currently doing research there. As a result, I've seen a ton of work that's come out of there, and was just kinda wondering about the jump from one to the other, and if he mentioned if he was doing chemistry research or doing IP stuff as his work.

Again, really creepy, specific questions...but ya I had a point, I swear.

Also, I spend a ton of time here while at work. My work comes in waves. Some days I'm swamped, others I'm reading wikipedia artciles on the history of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No big deal.


One thing I do remember he said was that as he was doing his grad research a friend in IP law asked him for help with the science part and so he got interested in doing that.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
andreea7 wrote:Btw, I am working now....what's up with me on this forum? haha


I spend more time on here at work than at home. I justify it by realizing that you need "brain breaks" and by the fact that all of my work is done on time or early anyway. No worries.


People have been getting fired for 'internet usage' in other departments. My company has a policy that we're not allowed to use the internet for anything other than work. I think so they can fire us if they don't like us. But if they do it to me I'm gonna sing on everyone else. And I do SO much work. My job, a part of someone else's job (she was too busy), a little of this new thing I'm learning (to make the busy lady even less busy), creating new policies.... Yeah. Poo on them. I've even got the boss directing people to me because he doesn't know the answer.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
andreea7 wrote:Btw, I am working now....what's up with me on this forum? haha


I spend more time on here at work than at home. I justify it by realizing that you need "brain breaks" and by the fact that all of my work is done on time or early anyway. No worries.


Brain breaks are needed indeed -- there's something about spending your life in front of a laptop....

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm

sibley wrote:[strike]I think so they can fire us if they don't like us. But if they do it to me I'm gonna sing on everyone else[/strike] If I go down, I'm taking all of you with me.

Got it.
andreea7 wrote:One thing I do remember he said was that as he was doing his grad research a friend in IP law asked him for help with the science part and so he got interested in doing that.

Ahh, yeah sorry again about the odd question line, just interested to hear someone in the same boat.

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 pm

My company claims to scan our Internet usage daily. They also claim to keep track of all the times we visit a blocked site (personal email, social networking, etc). I end up visiting blocked sites a couple times a week, usually by accident while doing Google research, but I've never heard from any of my managers about my misuse of company property. So, I just keep doing what I do.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 pm

rockthelaw wrote:My company claims to scan our Internet usage daily. They also claim to keep track of all the times we visit a blocked site (personal email, social networking, etc). I end up visiting blocked sites a couple times a week, usually by accident while doing Google research, but I've never heard from any of my managers about my misuse of company property. So, I just keep doing what I do.



I put firefox on a flash drive to use for illicit activities... but the firewall blocks it. I have heard of people getting in trouble for swearing on the phone.


An idiotic 60-something woman who is loud and a very slow learner, always interrupts peoples' conversations, work, telling them how to do things or that they're being inappropriate, yet spends her days on yahoo games, and always says "well.... for meeee...." and speaks very slowly about things no one cares about, etc., just told me that 1) all frat people are idiots, to which I responded, under my breath "I guess you would know", and 2) that I'd be surprised how recently she's been to a frat party. To which I said nothing. But... WTF. All this because I suggested it was a good idea to put blue dye rather than green into beer for st patty's day.

edit: this is the same woman I posted about in early January, who always has really loud conversations and who told me to SHUT UP when I had an under 5 minute conversation with some guy I worked with, just because she wasn't interested in the topic. It was too academic for her.

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 pm

sibley wrote:I put firefox on a flash drive to use for illicit activities... but the firewall blocks it. I have heard of people getting in trouble for swearing on the phone.


We're not supposed to attach any "unapproved external storage devices" to our work computers. InfoSec allegedly monitors for these connections as well. I've done it and no one has said anything to me, so again I question the policy and its enforcement. I think most of these "policies" are more "in-theory" and less "in-practice."

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
sibley wrote:I put firefox on a flash drive to use for illicit activities... but the firewall blocks it. I have heard of people getting in trouble for swearing on the phone.


We're not supposed to attach any "unapproved external storage devices" to our work computers. InfoSec allegedly monitors for these connections as well. I've done it and no one has said anything to me, so again I question the policy and its enforcement. I think most of these "policies" are more "in-theory" and less "in-practice."



'unapproved' ... I'm sure people have flash drives given to them by the company. that's approval =P

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
sibley wrote:I put firefox on a flash drive to use for illicit activities... but the firewall blocks it. I have heard of people getting in trouble for swearing on the phone.


We're not supposed to attach any "unapproved external storage devices" to our work computers. InfoSec allegedly monitors for these connections as well. I've done it and no one has said anything to me, so again I question the policy and its enforcement. I think most of these "policies" are more "in-theory" and less "in-practice."


I work for the government. no theory, all practice. no flash drives and the firewall blocks the darndest things. yesterday i couldn't get to the partnership on public service's site on the best places to work in government. ironic, eh?

also, great that they're reading late december/early jan, but i'm EARLY DECEMBER. ack.

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 pm

I know it's still early in the day, but I really thought we were going to see some movement this week. Not for any reason in particular, just a feeling.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I know it's still early in the day, but I really thought we were going to see some movement this week. Not for any reason in particular, just a feeling.


early in the day, but late in the week =/

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:52 pm

sibley wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I know it's still early in the day, but I really thought we were going to see some movement this week. Not for any reason in particular, just a feeling.


early in the day, but late in the week =/

I had my hopes up too.

After a strange dream last night, I decided if I get into law school this month, I'm going to buy a new guitar. My other one's on the end of it's life and I feel that would be a fantastic celebration present to myself.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:56 pm

even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I know it's still early in the day, but I really thought we were going to see some movement this week. Not for any reason in particular, just a feeling.


early in the day, but late in the week =/

I had my hopes up too.

After a strange dream last night, I decided if I get into law school this month, I'm going to buy a new guitar. My other one's on the end of it's life and I feel that would be a fantastic celebration present to myself.



I love celebration presents.

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:03 pm

even2flow, what kind of guitar?

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:17 pm

rockthelaw wrote:even2flow, what kind of guitar?

I dunno yet, I gotta see what my budget allows. I got a new electric a few years ago that I almost never play anymore since I gaduated college, so I just play the acoustic all the time. The tuning pegs have pretty much stripped at this point and I've had this guitar for...going on 5 or 6 years? So I figured it was time for an upgrade. My old roomate had a Martin that I really REALLY liked, but since we still play together every so often I don't wanna get the same thing he has. My other buddy had an Ibanez that I remember liking a lot.

I was going to just kinda wander into Guitar Center and say 'Find me something awesome for this much $' but if you can think of stuff, I'd love to hear it since I don't know a ton about acoustic guitars.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey everyone!

If anyone is already in NYC and bored tonight (or just looking for something awesome to do!), one of my good friends is having a CD release party at Arlene's Grocery.

Or, if you aren't around, you can check out her website and listen to the new CD for free (#5 is my fav!)! http://lesliedinicola.com/

I swear, I'm not soliciting, I'm just super proud of her! :-)

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:even2flow, what kind of guitar?

I dunno yet, I gotta see what my budget allows. I got a new electric a few years ago that I almost never play anymore since I gaduated college, so I just play the acoustic all the time. The tuning pegs have pretty much stripped at this point and I've had this guitar for...going on 5 or 6 years? So I figured it was time for an upgrade. My old roomate had a Martin that I really REALLY liked, but since we still play together every so often I don't wanna get the same thing he has. My other buddy had an Ibanez that I remember liking a lot.

I was going to just kinda wander into Guitar Center and say 'Find me something awesome for this much $' but if you can think of stuff, I'd love to hear it since I don't know a ton about acoustic guitars.


I'm not a big acoustic guy either. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio model that I love because the tone is so clear and warm (as opposed to the heavier and slightly muddier sound of the Standard). For acoustic I've found that the Martins and the Gibsons are great, but they're gonna run you a pretty penny. My advice would be to go into GC and play all the acoustics. No, seriously. I can almost guarantee you'll find a less expensive acoustic that sounds and plays as well as some of the higher-end instruments. The Diamond in the Rough, so to speak.

That's about as much as I know, though. I do hope that whenever you go to GC, though, that you pick up the most offensively-metal guitar and shred for the requisite 10 minutes before doing anything else.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Tomthecat and 11 guests