Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockthelaw

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 am

sibley wrote:I should start breeding them. They're small and can fit in my future apartment, yes? And it looks like they'll cover my rent....

I used to have a foster bunny named Todd. I miss him. Every year about this time I want little fluffy animals, and birds, and piglets and fish (and I hate fish).

Jumangi!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 am

rockthelaw wrote:
sibley wrote:I should start breeding them. They're small and can fit in my future apartment, yes? And it looks like they'll cover my rent....

I used to have a foster bunny named Todd. I miss him. Every year about this time I want little fluffy animals, and birds, and piglets and fish (and I hate fish).

Jumangi!

Yes!!!
I've actually been listening to audiorecordings of early 1900s childrens' books while at work. I like them. They're relatively short, and I don't have to pay perfect attention. Currently I'm listening to works by E Nesbit. Just finished one where a little boy made cities out of toys and it became real. Now am working on one where the kids are staying at school for winter break because their cousin has measles and this girl tricks them, then she turns invisible.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Kim have you gotten an email back?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your app was originally scheduled to have a decision made on Thursday or Friday and the snow pushed everything back a day or two....

Keep us updated!

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Good afternoon (almost?) Everyone!

To kill some time waiting for fordham, I started a cake decorating class. I'm excited about it!!

Also auditioning for kaplan today, wish me luck. I really need a job :-/

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm

goosey wrote:Good afternoon (almost?) Everyone!

To kill some time waiting for fordham, I started a cake decorating class. I'm excited about it!!

Good luck goosey, I did it least week. It's nothing to get worked up about. I'm sure you'll be fine. They did tell me however that there isn't a huge demand for the LSAT right now, moreso in late April, but they asked me to do the SAT as well, so if you're comfortable with that, i would try that as well.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Alright Fordham,

I have been waiting impatiently for two months now. I know others have been waiting for far longer, but I am much more impatient than they are. Originally I was concerned that you didn't like me due to my weak personal statement, scathing letters from former professors, or incredibly boring life devoid of anything significant. I was scared. Then BU, Georgetown, and GW let me in, and I realized that I'm not as terrible as I thought. I next was concerned I sent you the wrong essay. A frantic return to my abandoned LSAC profile calmed me down; I sent you the same barely personalized boring application I sent everyone else.

I would say its not about the money, and that I care for you deeply, but in truth it is about the money. You are expensive. You are also poor, and so it is unlikely you can afford to woo me anyway. You have a great location though, and Jay-Z really likes New York; I would at least like to visit you as an admit once, before deciding that your loans are more than I can bear.

I am giving you one more week Fordham, before I remove myself from your consideration. I know you don't care. I know you will barely realize I left, just as you have barely realized I am waiting for your response. In the meantime I may email you, or even call you, just to let you know I live, breathe, and pine for you. Will you notice me then?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Alright Fordham,

You have a great location though, and Jay-Z really likes New York;

Makes me think of this article I read on the ONION:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... _thought_i

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:55 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

Good luck goosey, I did it least week. It's nothing to get worked up about. I'm sure you'll be fine. They did tell me however that there isn't a huge demand for the LSAT right now, moreso in late April, but they asked me to do the SAT as well, so if you're comfortable with that, i would try that as well.

Believe it or not, I never took the SAT. Yes, I managed to graduate without ever taking the SAT. I will probably take it now just so I can qualify to teach it though. That and the gre. What's on the sat :-o ? I cnt believe I don't know this!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 pm

goosey wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

Believe it or not, I never took the SAT. Yes, I managed to graduate without ever taking the SAT. I will probably take it now just so I can qualify to teach it though. That and the gre. What's on the sat :-o ? I cnt believe I don't know this!

it's like the act, but less agreeable/more math

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

sibley wrote:
goosey wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're going to make me take the SAT as well. I think if you qualify for one, you should be ok for some of the others. The SAT now is totally different than when I took it way back when, and maybe it's because I did well on it but I have no idea what percentile I was in (1300 anyone?). But they go through a whole training process with you and if you're not comfortable with the material, don't do it. But I'd give it a shot at least.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
sibley wrote:
goosey wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're going to make me take the SAT as well. I think if you qualify for one, you should be ok for some of the others. The SAT now is totally different than when I took it way back when, and maybe it's because I did well on it but I have no idea what percentile I was in (1300 anyone?). But they go through a whole training process with you and if you're not comfortable with the material, don't do it. But I'd give it a shot at least.[/quote]

Can I ask how much they pay? I'm thinking of doing this too.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 pm

umichgrad wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
sibley wrote:
goosey wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're going to make me take the SAT as well. I think if you qualify for one, you should be ok for some of the others. The SAT now is totally different than when I took it way back when, and maybe it's because I did well on it but I have no idea what percentile I was in (1300 anyone?). But they go through a whole training process with you and if you're not comfortable with the material, don't do it. But I'd give it a shot at least.

Can I ask how much they pay? I'm thinking of doing this too.[/quote]

Yeah, and what do they have you do? Sounds good to me... I rocked the ACT (can't remember what I got, but it was slightly ridiculous) and did pretty well on the SAT (1320). I did good on the LSAT too! What do they have you do? Just basically talk according to their class structure?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm

1300 should be around 84th percentile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Raw_sc ... ercentiles)

I applied for one of these programs (I thought it was Kaplan but maybe it wasn't). There was a cut-off on scores (I think I just made it with a 172). I was considering teaching the SAT as well, but I think they do make you take at least their simulated SAT to see if you make the cutoff. I took the SAT on the old system (1450) and have to clarify that back then it was a very good score.

I never signed up for the "audition" portion of the application because I didn't want to prepare a lesson.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Looks like 99th percentile was a prerequisite for another program.

Kaplan wrote me this email, which says their cut off is 90th percentile:

"Thank you for your interest in joining the Kaplan faculty. After reviewing your application, we are pleased to invite you to the next step of the Kaplan Teacher Hiring Process-an audition...

Teaching or tutoring for Kaplan is a fulfilling and enjoyable part-time job. Most classes meet one to three times a week during evenings and/or weekends and take place over 4 to 10 weeks. Tutoring typically happens in a Kaplan facility or in a student's home, on a mutually-determined schedule. Teaching for Kaplan is a flexible job and most of our instructors teach classes in addition to a full-time work or school schedule.

STEP 1: The Audition
Your first step is to schedule an audition, guidelines and schedules for which you will find attached. Auditions are usually held in groups, as few as two and, sometimes, as many as thirty. Expect that your group will be ten or fewer.

STEP 2: The Interview
Successful auditioners will then be invited to an interview, a one-on-one meeting with a hiring manager.

STEP 3: Kaplan Teacher Development Program (Teacher Training)
A successful interview grants you an invitation to Kaplan training, an evaluative process involving extensive mock teaching and feedback. We will be evaluating and building your test expertise, as well as your ability to engage your class in active learning, to build student motivation and to represent Kaplan well. Upon graduation, new teachers are typically assigned to one class or to one private student. However, as your skills and experience increase, there will be many opportunities for additional assignments.

Qualifications
We require you to have recent test scores in the 90th percentile on the test you wish to teach.. If your test score is not above the 90th percentile or is more than five years old, you may take a proctored practice exam at a local Kaplan center. In any case, an acceptable score is a necessary precondition for successful completion of the Kaplan Teacher Development Program.

After you've read the Audition Guidelines attached, and selected an audition date, please contact me as soon as possible to schedule your audition."

Follow up email included this:

"As a reminder, we ask that you prepare a 5-minute presentation on a non-academic subject. You will be evaluated on your general presentation skills, your comfort level and interaction with your audience, and your adherence to the time constraints. "

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

i think they pay about 20 an hour. I called and asked about the SAT and they said you can come in and take a practice test to qualify. You have to qualify to teach each test, but they cross-train you.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

What to expect if you are invited to become a Kaplan Teacher:

20+ hours of training in our XXXXXXXXX Center (aprox. 3-4 weeks).
Homework. You will be required to prepare lessons for your training sessions at home.
You will be paid at the minimum wage rate for training and prep work.
Salary generally begins at $20+ p/h + paid preparation work. Ask about our benefits for part time employees.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

I took the SAT on the 2400 scale (2100 whatup?!?!) :D It's basically the same thing but you get the extra writing portion added on. I was the experimental year, and they ended up not even counting the section. They just wasted my time.

Nope, nothing from Fordham, they didn't even return my email. I'm getting frustrated because it's not a rocket science decision. If you're doing YP, then WL me. If you don't care about my numbers and don't like me, reject me. If you care about numbers, accept me. 12 weeks is ridiculous, especially because there isn't anything borderline with me. You either don't like me for reasons other than my numbers, or you like me because of my numbers. If they were worried I wouldn't accept their offer before, do they think after waiting for 12 weeks I'm going to be MORE receptive? At least have the decency to return my email. And next time, don't make promises that you won't keep.

/endrant

Seriously, what's with my rants lately? I need to get control.
Last edited by Kim617 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:44 pm

goosey wrote:i think they pay about 20 an hour. I called and asked about the SAT and they said you can come in and take a practice test to qualify. You have to qualify to teach each test, but they cross-train you.

It's like $20/hr but it actually works out to be like $28 an hour because there are other things added on. Pretty ballin'. I was doing the LSAT training but my schedule worked out in a way that I wouldn't be able to teach, which SUCKED.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Well I haven't done math in like 3 years so I have no idea what I'd get if I took the SATs now, but that's the great thing about the teachers edition is you get to learn the material ahead of time before you have to present and explain it.

If they do make me take a practice test, I might just stick with the LSAT.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 pm

What kind of scores do you need for the SAT to qualify to teach it?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:What kind of scores do you need for the SAT to qualify to teach it?

If they're working off a 90%, the cutoff would be somewhere around 1940/50 on the new scale

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Well I haven't done math in like 3 years so I have no idea what I'd get if I took the SATs now, but that's the great thing about the teachers edition is you get to learn the material ahead of time before you have to present and explain it.

If they do make me take a practice test, I might just stick with the LSAT.

+1

i dont even know how to add and subtract fractions anymore. fail.
im sure its nothing you cant pick up on with a few weeks of review though.

just out of curiousity how does it end up being 28/hr?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

jl2032 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:What kind of scores do you need for the SAT to qualify to teach it?

If they're working off a 90%, the cutoff would be somewhere around 1940/50 on the new scale

Really? That seems kind of low. I've tutored people who ended up getting about that or better, and I never thought of myself as an extremely qualified tutor

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Really? That seems kind of low. I've tutored people who ended up getting about that or better, and I never thought of myself as an extremely qualified tutor

Kaplan has the lowest requirements of any of the programs out there. Powerscore requires 98th-99th percentile or above which would be a 2150 cutoff.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Been at application complete since 1/4 for the PT program.

...does anyone know when they get into the PT apps, or is it less than systematic?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”