Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
even2flow

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

So my weather.com map of NYC is telling me I can stop checking my status checker today?

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm super disappointed. I stayed home from work because I expected this non-ending snow to stick and not stop and create a large problem for me getting home from work. But lo and behold, I look out the window and maybe only 1 inch is sticking! SIGH.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 pm

cherryalamode wrote:I'm super disappointed. I stayed home from work because I expected this non-ending snow to stick and not stop and create a large problem for me getting home from work. But lo and behold, I look out the window and maybe only 1 inch is sticking! SIGH.

Cherry. I am begging you. HELP ME OUT, HERE. I need to have that plane take off, tomorrow morning... with me, on it!

Cryptonion

Postby Cryptonion » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi there, got a question about FT vs PT program ... heard rumors that ppl WLed for FT may be re-considered for PT program?

THat worries me ... coz I m all for the PT program but haven't heard anything yet for 2 months. Would it be possible that PT admission runs slower than FT coz they actually wait to see the FT waitinglist?

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 pm

paminator wrote:Well, I'm originally from MA, so I'm a Red Sox fan! But I've never lived in Boston.

Short-term, I would be happy working in NYC or Boston. Long-term, I would not want to raise a family in Manhattan (no offense to anyone!).

Ok, so clearly I need to think more about this and/or go to a fortune-teller.

Thanks, all!

even2flow wrote:I agree that it depends on where you want to work. But BU is an amazing school, and realistically, if you want to work in NYC after grad, from BU if you do well, you can totally do it. I have buddies who went to BU law and got jobs wherever they wanted (in this horrible economy no less).

That being said, COL is Boston is cheaper than NYC, and Boston is a very differrent city than NYC. Further, you're getting more cash from BU, so not only will your COL be lower, but your overall debt (I imagine, I haven't actually looked at tuition numbers) will be lower.

Personally? I'd pick BU, the change in scenery might be interesting. Bolt Bus runs down to NYC for $15 every hour 7 days a week if you really wanna get back to NYC that bad during some weekends.

If you're still unsure, ask yourself this: what do you hate more, Yankees fans, or Red Sox fans?

Totally feeling you!

I wouldn't want to raise my kids here either. It's safe to say this because we LIVE here lol so it's not like we have no reason to it.

But anyway, BU has a more national reach than Fordham, I think. So Going to fordham would probably limit you to NY or NJ or somewhere near. I don't know how many people have gone to MA after going to Fordham law. So you're a lucky girl to have this choice.

I'm still waiting on BU but I'll be nice and say you should take BU over Fordham, even if this takes away one more spot for me, lol.

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:I'm super disappointed. I stayed home from work because I expected this non-ending snow to stick and not stop and create a large problem for me getting home from work. But lo and behold, I look out the window and maybe only 1 inch is sticking! SIGH.

Cherry. I am begging you. HELP ME OUT, HERE. I need to have that plane take off, tomorrow morning... with me, on it!

How should I help you? LOL.
I think you'll be fine haha. It doesn't seem too bad as it was expected. So yea, you will be fine! :)

Where you going? Sorry if you answered this but I haven't looked at the older posts too much.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm

cherryalamode wrote:I wouldn't want to raise my kids here either.

:( I love raising my kids, here.

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

Aww I'm sorry nygrrrl.

To each his/her own, yea?

I love NYC and I've lived here since I was FIVE.

BUT I want to live in and raise a family in a city with less people in it. Like Boston, lol. I don't know. There are just too many people here. And too many bad neighborhoods.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Aww I'm sorry nygrrrl.

BUT I want to live in and raise a family in a city with less people in it. Like Boston, lol. I don't know. There are just too many people here. And too many bad neighborhoods.

My mom doesn't want me to move to NY because she doesn't know how one could raise a family there. But I've seen people come out of their fancy 998 5th Ave apt with a little kid and a bike with training wheels and go for a ride. I suppose if it was too crowded there are plenty of nearby areas, anyway.... Westchester, CT, Long Island.... Brooklyn.... New Jersey

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:16 pm

sibley wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Aww I'm sorry nygrrrl.

My mom doesn't want me to move to NY because she doesn't know how one could raise a family there. But I've seen people come out of their fancy 998 5th Ave apt with a little kid and a bike with training wheels and go for a ride. I suppose if it was too crowded there are plenty of nearby areas, anyway.... Westchester, CT, Long Island.... Brooklyn.... New Jersey

I live in a nice neighborhood but am surrounded by two bad ones! Which sucks.
Last edited by cherryalamode on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 pm

cherryalamode wrote:I love NYC and I've lived here since I was FIVE.

LOL, well I've lived here for just over 19 years, grew up with my mom teaching at NYU. I think it depends on where you live and how you do it (and fwiw, Sib, we are NOT rich folks who live on 5th Ave! We are crunchy UWS folks whose kids think the American Museum of Natural History is their playground!)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 pm

This dude's still waiting for his waitlist

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:This dude's still waiting for his waitlist

HOW DID YOU GET MY PHOTO????

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

HOW DID YOU GET MY PHOTO????

slowly backing away from thread.....

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

LOL, well I've lived here for just over 19 years, grew up with my mom teaching at NYU. I think it depends on where you live and how you do it (and fwiw, Sib, we are NOT rich folks who live on 5th Ave! We are crunchy UWS folks whose kids think the American Museum of Natural History is their playground!)

I agree. And it also depends on the type of person you are and the things you like. Sometimes you can love a place. And sometimes you can love a place but not enough to stay.

I'm also a super paranoid person, haha and NYC does not help with this. What if the water level rises 10 feet? bye-bye manhattan! And what if someone decides to blow up a train station or a train in general? I'm so paranoid about this and I just want to leave NYC. These are just my own neuroses lol. Go ahead and laugh. :wink:

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I agree. And it also depends on the type of person you are and the things you like. Sometimes you can love a place. And sometimes you can love a place but not enough to stay.

I'm also a super paranoid person, haha and NYC does not help with this. What if the water level rises 10 feet? bye-bye manhattan! And what if someone decides to blow up a train station or a train in general? I'm so paranoid about this and I just want to leave NYC. These are just my own neuroses lol. Go ahead and laugh. :wink:

SAN FRANCISCO!

...go there.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I can't laugh TOO hard because those are the same worries my husband has! :lol: :lol:

cherryalamode

Postby cherryalamode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:31 pm

:mrgreen:

Well then you see my point lol.

NYC is just a big target, with this many people in it. No one will bomb Roanoke, VA or Davis, CA, right?

But let's move on from this convo before I embarrass myself further.

DOES Fordham have national mobility? I would think that at least 90% stay in NY. I'm pulling this info out of nowhere so please feel free to correct me.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

That's my worry about fordham, that if I decide to live somewhere else I might not have the same opportunities that I would have in ny. This could be completely baseless, though I'm not sure it is.

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

This is that same dude when he was waiting for his status checker login email!

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Mattalones wrote:I posted this in another Fordham thread, but thought that I might get some more information if I posted it here too (I'm obviously impatient).

I have a question about health club access. Does anyone know if there is a gym membership that comes with Fordham? I know that most LSs on university campuses have this for free or cheap, but Fordham is is a little center. I don't know if I'll be able to make it without de-stressing at the gym. I know that there will probably be other gyms, but it would be nice to stay within the community there by going to an affiliated school. Please let me know if you have any information on this because I am from CA and don't know the area like a lot of you might.

I assume Fordham law students have access to all of the Fordham University facilities.

http://www.fordham.edu/audience/LCathletics.htm

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:16 pm

sibley wrote:
Mattalones wrote:I posted this in another Fordham thread, but thought that I might get some more information if I posted it here too (I'm obviously impatient).

I have a question about health club access. Does anyone know if there is a gym membership that comes with Fordham? I know that most LSs on university campuses have this for free or cheap, but Fordham is is a little center. I don't know if I'll be able to make it without de-stressing at the gym. I know that there will probably be other gyms, but it would be nice to stay within the community there by going to an affiliated school. Please let me know if you have any information on this because I am from CA and don't know the area like a lot of you might.

I assume Fordham law students have access to all of the Fordham University facilities.

Yeah, but no free weights.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 pm

Zapatero wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yeah, but no free weights.

why would they have benches but no free weights?

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 pm

sibley wrote:why would they have benches but no free weights?

Yeah I just read "benches" and "gym" and assumed they'd have weights.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”