Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannah87

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:47 am

paminator wrote:Hi guys. Since this is such a friendly thread (I'm an 11/16er who was accepted 2/12) and people had such helpful advice re: Georgetown/DC vs Fordham/NYC question, I am posting my dilemma.

I need to decide between Fordham/NYC/$5,000/yr scholarship vs BU/Boston/$15,000/yr scholarship. Is this a no brainer and I am being stubbornly blind? I currently live in NYC and am afraid to move because I love it here so much. But BU is ranked slightly higher, and money is money.

Thoughts, party-people?

Good luck to all!

congrats on those offers!! where do you think you want to work? if nyc, then i'm pretty sure Fordham makes more sense...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 am

paminator wrote:Hi guys. Since this is such a friendly thread (I'm an 11/16er who was accepted 2/12) and people had such helpful advice re: Georgetown/DC vs Fordham/NYC question, I am posting my dilemma.

I need to decide between Fordham/NYC/$5,000/yr scholarship vs BU/Boston/$15,000/yr scholarship. Is this a no brainer and I am being stubbornly blind? I currently live in NYC and am afraid to move because I love it here so much. But BU is ranked slightly higher, and money is money.

Thoughts, party-people?

Good luck to all!

That's funny, Pam - if I didn't need a PT program so badly, BU would have been top of my list. My dad's in Boston, I love it up there, love that school.... but I agree with Hannah. Think about where you want to end up. Congrats on those schollys - NICE!

edit: Hannah, is that YOU in your tar?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 am

OK, Party People... Happy Thursday.
We're in the home stretch, now... and with any luck, I won't be able to make my little
morning greeting, tomorrow (Plane. Must. Take. Off. Snow. Must. Stop.)
I can feel all of the good news and WIN, heading our way... can't you??! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 am

I don't know for sure, but I would think that because Boston and NYC are so close, that going to BU wouldn't really hurt your chances working here in NYC if that's what your looking for. My sister is an associate at a firm in NYC and one of the founding partners went to BU. Saving 45K is a pretty big deal, especially if you want to come back to NYC after. The city is expensive enough as it is without having all that extra debt.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 am

hannah87 wrote:

Thoughts, party-people?

Good luck to all!

congrats on those offers!! where do you think you want to work? if nyc, then i'm pretty sure Fordham makes more sense...

Picking the city of choice is going to be vital, though it should be pointed out that BU usually did decently in NYC, at least before economy imploded.

BU stats by region for the class of 2008 say that 17.3% went to the New York area to practice, and you'd have to imagine that a lot of BU students are only looking at Boston, so it could be that that number is low due to self selection.

Still, ITE, New York firms might be cutting back on OCI to schools like BU, where they'd have less of an interested student body, and focus on New York centric schools like Fordham. But if the old numbers held somewhat, you could have the choice of either Boston or New York from BU, while Fordham would largley pigeonhole you to New York.

Just some idle speculation, make of it what you will. They are largely peer schools, and deciding where you want to wind up will be key (though the extra scholarship from BU can't hurt).

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am

I agree that it depends on where you want to work. But BU is an amazing school, and realistically, if you want to work in NYC after grad, from BU if you do well, you can totally do it. I have buddies who went to BU law and got jobs wherever they wanted (in this horrible economy no less).

That being said, COL is Boston is cheaper than NYC, and Boston is a very differrent city than NYC. Further, you're getting more cash from BU, so not only will your COL be lower, but your overall debt (I imagine, I haven't actually looked at tuition numbers) will be lower.

Personally? I'd pick BU, the change in scenery might be interesting. Bolt Bus runs down to NYC for $15 every hour 7 days a week if you really wanna get back to NYC that bad during some weekends.

If you're still unsure, ask yourself this: what do you hate more, Yankees fans, or Red Sox fans?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am

nygrrrl wrote:

Thoughts, party-people?

Good luck to all!

That's funny, Pam - if I didn't need a PT program so badly, BU would have been top of my list. My dad's in Boston, I love it up there, love that school.... but I agree with Hannah. Think about where you want to end up. Congrats on those schollys - NICE!

edit: Hannah, is that YOU in your tar?

yes, it's me!! i got married in august :D

paminator

Postby paminator » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:10 am

Well, I'm originally from MA, so I'm a Red Sox fan! But I've never lived in Boston.

Short-term, I would be happy working in NYC or Boston. Long-term, I would not want to raise a family in Manhattan (no offense to anyone!).

Ok, so clearly I need to think more about this and/or go to a fortune-teller.

Thanks, all!

even2flow wrote:I agree that it depends on where you want to work. But BU is an amazing school, and realistically, if you want to work in NYC after grad, from BU if you do well, you can totally do it. I have buddies who went to BU law and got jobs wherever they wanted (in this horrible economy no less).

That being said, COL is Boston is cheaper than NYC, and Boston is a very differrent city than NYC. Further, you're getting more cash from BU, so not only will your COL be lower, but your overall debt (I imagine, I haven't actually looked at tuition numbers) will be lower.

Personally? I'd pick BU, the change in scenery might be interesting. Bolt Bus runs down to NYC for $15 every hour 7 days a week if you really wanna get back to NYC that bad during some weekends.

If you're still unsure, ask yourself this: what do you hate more, Yankees fans, or Red Sox fans?

paminator

Postby paminator » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 am

BEAUTIFUL!

hannah87 wrote:

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 am

paminator wrote:BEAUTIFUL!

hannah87 wrote:

thanks pam! :mrgreen:

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 am

just registered for the march 3rd evening tour! i also emailed admissions about setting up a meeting before the tour. thanks to kim and nygrrrl and everyone else who posted tour/meeting info!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:46 am

hannah87 wrote:just registered for the march 3rd evening tour! i also emailed admissions about setting up a meeting before the tour. thanks to kim and nygrrrl and everyone else who posted tour/meeting info!

I also like your picture very much! I wish it was bigger =(

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:just registered for the march 3rd evening tour! i also emailed admissions about setting up a meeting before the tour. thanks to kim and nygrrrl and everyone else who posted tour/meeting info!

It's beautiful! Was it windy or was there a fan to make your veil do that?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 am

Dear Fordham,

Haven't these poor TLSers suffered enough? Please let them in NAOW.

kthnxbai

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

It's beautiful! Was it windy or was there a fan to make your veil do that?

thanks sib and lauren! it was one of those super humid and windy days so no fan was needed! the only plus to the nasty weather ;)

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 am

Question for those going to the March 3rd tour -- is that only for admitted/WL students? I haven't yet heard from Fordham and was wondering whether I should visit. What time is the March 3rd tour?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:33 am

andreea7 wrote:Question for those going to the March 3rd tour -- is that only for admitted/WL students? I haven't yet heard from Fordham and was wondering whether I should visit. What time is the March 3rd tour?

the tour i was talking about is at 6pm. they have a few every week day, and anyone can register. I haven't heard from Fordham yet, either- I just want to check it out! register for tours here: http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/5608.htm

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Well the snow is closing the office early. Giddyup.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Well the snow is closing the office early. Giddyup.

Lucky. I'm apparently considered 'essential personnel' so if the office closes I still have to show up. Little do they know I am very much not essential, and spend my days here.
I put my wipers up today, though... so hopefully they'll be a little bit easier to clean off. And perhaps after work I will go xcountry skiing if it's not too dark. Adcomm running today?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:43 pm

sibley wrote:

Lucky. I'm apparently considered 'essential personnel' so if the office closes I still have to show up. Little do they know I am very much not essential, and spend my days here.
I put my wipers up today, though... so hopefully they'll be a little bit easier to clean off. And perhaps after work I will go xcountry skiing if it's not too dark. Adcomm running today?

Sib, where are you? I sold my xco skis a couple of years ago, but used to go to Central Park on days like this... fun

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
sibley wrote:

Sib, where are you? I sold my xco skis a couple of years ago, but used to go to Central Park on days like this... fun

In Rochester... at Kodak. I was wondering about that, actually. I can ski in the park? Will there be trails already rutted out, likely? Can I take my skiis on the subway? Do they still allow dogs loose after dark in Central Park?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm

sibley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
sibley wrote:

In Rochester... at Kodak. I was wondering about that, actually. I can ski in the park? Will there be trails already rutted out, likely? Can I take my skiis on the subway? Do they still allow dogs loose after dark in Central Park?

LOL - few if any trails that I've seen, definitely other skiers (!), yes skis on the subway.... dogs. I forget about the dog rules. But I wouldn't ski after dark. It's probably totally safe, but I've lived here for so long that old habits die hard!

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm

hannah87 wrote:
andreea7 wrote:Question for those going to the March 3rd tour -- is that only for admitted/WL students? I haven't yet heard from Fordham and was wondering whether I should visit. What time is the March 3rd tour?

the tour i was talking about is at 6pm. they have a few every week day, and anyone can register. I haven't heard from Fordham yet, either- I just want to check it out! register for tours here: http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/5608.htm

Thank you-- that's great ! The only issue that I see is that the addmissions office closes at 4:30 so I doubt it anyone from admissions will be around. But eh, I don't have a choice given my work schedule.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:12 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
sibley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
sibley wrote:

LOL - few if any trails that I've seen, definitely other skiers (!), yes skis on the subway.... dogs. I forget about the dog rules. But I wouldn't ski after dark. It's probably totally safe, but I've lived here for so long that old habits die hard!

my impression was they started letting dogs in loose at dusk and dawn as an effort to make it a little safer... less loiterers.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

sibley wrote:my impression was they started letting dogs in loose at dusk and dawn as an effort to make it a little safer... less loiterers.

LOL - no, it's just so that it's easier on the owners and nicer for the dogs. They still sort of stick to the dog run/outer park areas. It's always a bit of a problem for runners who are out early...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”