Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:58 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.


If you're gonna say break into her house and clog her drain with hair - done and done. Now I just need to demonstrate my value.

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chutzpah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

tesoro wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So, there are only 2 schools that I will possibly be attending. After my rejection from NYU, and my WL from Columbia, I am not really considering Duke (Priority Track WL) and UVA because I don't really want to live in either place, so that leaves Fordham and Georgetown. I haven't heard from Fordham, but assuming I get in (which I'm not assuming, just hypothetical), I think I will have a decision to make. I've lived in NY my whole life, so Fordham is really my only option to stay here, plus if they offered me money, that would make my decision harder (though at this point I doubt they will). Georgetown is higher ranked with higher big law possibilities, but I would have to move away. I would like to figure this out sooner rather than later, because if I get into Fordham, I would be holding onto a spot that someone else might want or conversely, I'm holding a spot at Gtown that someone on the WL could possibly take.

I know that some of you are set on Fordham, but what would you do in my position? I'm asking in here because you guys are cool people and might give me some insight. I'll be visiting Gtown in March for the ASW, so I'll definitely have my decision after that, I think.


My situation has some similarities. I currently live in the DC area, but grew up and lived in New York until I went to college. I'd like to get back to NY eventually, but I've had a good time in DC so far. If you get into Fordham and you have to choose between Georgetown and Fordham, I'd say choose Georgetown. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I would imagine you'd have as good a - but probably a better - shot at a great job in NYC coming out of Georgetown as you would coming out of Fordham. This would mean that you'd only be out of NYC for three years, which isn't a long time.

I only applied to Fordham out of all the NYC schools because I knew I wouldn't have a great shot at Columbia or NYU, and I have some personal ties to the Fordham name. I figured that if I got in, I'd seriously consider it. The more research I've done, the more grads I've talked to, and my visit to the school all make me feel that Fordham would suit me better than any other schools. That's why I've pursued it so much relative to other waitlist opportunities I have.

So, my advice to you would be to figure out what you're thinking longterm, if you're willing to sacrifice time away from NY for a new experience, where you feel more comfortable, which school gives you better options for whatever you want to do, etc. I think that's what most of us have been doing the last few months.


Here's my two cents -- I grew up in NYC, went to UVA undergrad, and have lived in DC for almost four years. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to live in another city. I thought I'd never ever leave New York and if I did, I'd come right back... and here I am eight years later still not back. If you think you might possibly be interested in government, going to Georgetown would be a fantastic opportunity to test out DC and maybe intern during the school year at whatever department or agency interests you. Of course you could do the same in the summer as a Fordham student, but internships are much easier to come by during the school year and Georgetown has an excellent network throughout the district. I work in the Federal govt and run into Georgetown undergrad/grad/SFS/Law alumni all the time.

Another thing to consider is that Georgetown is the best law school in DC whereas Fordham is #3 in New York. While Fordham is an excellent school, it doesnt carry the same gravitas in NY as Georgetown does in DC. If you don't care about that kind of thing then it doesn't matter. Also its very very important to keep in perspective that DC just doesnt come close to NY as a city. Its great for what it is, but its no New York. When you visit keep this in mind.

Just a couple of thoughts from a New Yorker turned DC resident. Good luck with your decision!


I had no idea it was possible to become a New Yorker -> long-term DC resident. I've been living in DC for not even two years and I want to pull my hair out. I can't wait to move back to NY.


It took me a long time to come to terms with it, but what sealed the deal was that I could not possibly live the way I do in NY on my current salary. My rent is relatively high for DC but I live alone in a big apartment in a great location and would be living in Queens (no knocks on Queens, I grew up there) or a closet in Manhattan for the same price. The nicest restaurants are much more accessible and affordable in DC than in NY. Of course all this talk of affording a high quality of life means nothing because next year I'll be a po' student. :(

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm

even2flow wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.


If you're gonna say break into her house and clog her drain with hair - done and done. Now I just need to demonstrate my value.


Absolutely. The D.E.N.N.I.S. System works every time.

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Zapatero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
even2flow wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.


If you're gonna say break into her house and clog her drain with hair - done and done. Now I just need to demonstrate my value.


Absolutely. The D.E.N.N.I.S. System works every time.


Speaking of which, I could really go for a milksteak right about now.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

even2flow wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.


If you're gonna say break into her house and clog her drain with hair - done and done. Now I just need to demonstrate my value.


Awesome. Let me know when you get to "Neglect Emotionally." It's the most fun.

Edit: Or, of course, when you get a carnie to stab her.

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

I saw them when they came to Boston put on a live show of Nightman. It was amazing, packed to the brim, and I was still within awesome viewing range. I hope they do that again sometime soon.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 pm

even2flow wrote:I saw them when they came to Boston put on a live show of Nightman. It was amazing, packed to the brim, and I was still within awesome viewing range. I hope they do that again sometime soon.

envious

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
even2flow wrote:I saw them when they came to Boston put on a live show of Nightman. It was amazing, packed to the brim, and I was still within awesome viewing range. I hope they do that again sometime soon.

envious


+1000000000000000000

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:22 pm

uncultured. no idea what you're all going on about.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 pm

chutzpah wrote:
It took me a long time to come to terms with it, but what sealed the deal was that I could not possibly live the way I do in NY on my current salary. My rent is relatively high for DC but I live alone in a big apartment in a great location and would be living in Queens (no knocks on Queens, I grew up there) or a closet in Manhattan for the same price. The nicest restaurants are much more accessible and affordable in DC than in NY. Of course all this talk of affording a high quality of life means nothing because next year I'll be a po' student. :(


I totally get that. My COL is CHEAP in DC (<600/mo for rent), and I can afford lots of nice things since I live here. But I have no problem living a starting a really scrappy life in NY because the difference there is that I can DO lots of fun things, rather than have nice things to pass the time. I used to share a 1 bedroom with 3 other guys in union square, and I had way more fun with life doing that than living in a big townhouse in a quieter city. Granted, there are a ton of intangibles, like family and a built in network of friends in the NY area.

I definitely went through a rough time justifying the cost of NYC given how cheap life is in the DC area, but in the end for me happiness reigns supreme. That, and yeah, no matter where we go we'll be poor students :)

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm

tesoro wrote:I totally get that. My COL is CHEAP in DC (<600/mo for rent), and I can afford lots of nice things since I live here. But I have no problem living a starting a really scrappy life in NY because the difference there is that I can DO lots of fun things, rather than have nice things to pass the time. I used to share a 1 bedroom with 3 other guys in union square, and I had way more fun with life doing that than living in a big townhouse in a quieter city. Granted, there are a ton of intangibles, like family and a built in network of friends in the NY area.

I definitely went through a rough time justifying the cost of NYC given how cheap life is in the DC area, but in the end for me happiness reigns supreme. That, and yeah, no matter where we go we'll be poor students :)

This is how I felt. Liked living in DC, having the experience... but was very ready to move home.

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

sibley wrote:uncultured. no idea what you're all going on about.


It's always sunny in philadelphia. It's a show. Get on netflix, or whatever, and get season 1+2 (they come as a pack) and watch the episode "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"

You can thank me later.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:16 pm

even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:uncultured. no idea what you're all going on about.


It's always sunny in philadelphia. It's a show. Get on netflix, or whatever, and get season 1+2 (they come as a pack) and watch the episode "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"

You can thank me later.


Will give my request to the master of the Roku.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Kim617 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. I think that I will just have to wait until I see Georgetown to decide if there is a decision. Something that's pulling me towards Gtown is that they actually seem like they want me to attend. They probably do this for most accepted students, but there was a nice handwritten note from the dean about how I would be a good fit, referencing my PS. I get emails all the time, and in comparison, Fordham has completely ignored me. I'm just hoping that it clears up for me at some point. :D

User avatar
Steve Zissou
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Steve Zissou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Nothing to do with the discussion here... but it's a neat video of NYC: http://www.vimeo.com/9679622

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 pm

where are all the fordhamites--no activity in this thread for a while :shock: and by "a while" I mean 2 hours

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 pm

goosey wrote:where are all the fordhamites--no activity in this thread for a while :shock: and by "a while" I mean 2 hours

Finishing up that Little Project (!), dealing with horrific cable/internet problems, packing for trip.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

I hope I'm not jinxing things, but I'm going out on a limb and calling for some acceptances tomorrow (or maybe Friday). I think the last set of acceptances was preceded by a round of rejections/wait lists.

Wishful thinking ftw.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 pm

I am on the waitlist and still haven't recieved any information from Fordy. I guess I will email next week if nothing has come.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:I hope I'm not jinxing things, but I'm going out on a limb and calling for some acceptances tomorrow (or maybe Friday). I think the last set of acceptances was preceded by a round of rejections/wait lists.

Wishful thinking ftw.



we just had a round of rejections/waitlistings?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 pm

sibley wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:I hope I'm not jinxing things, but I'm going out on a limb and calling for some acceptances tomorrow (or maybe Friday). I think the last set of acceptances was preceded by a round of rejections/wait lists.

Wishful thinking ftw.



we just had a round of rejections/waitlistings?

Small group, but yeah:
http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm

hmmm. well I hope you're right =) for nygggirl (girrrl?....)'s sake, anyway.

I'm getting less excited as the days go by. I don't want to pay sticker anywhere.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 pm

sibley wrote:hmmm. well I hope you're right =) for nygggirl (girrrl?....)'s sake, anyway.

I'm getting less excited as the days go by. I don't want to pay sticker anywhere.

That was very sweet of you, Sib!
I have to say, my trip would be even sweeter if I just knew something from over there on 60th street...
:lol:

User avatar
Scuzzlebutt
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Scuzzlebutt » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 am

WL via status checker. Time to dust off the thinking cap and write a killer LOCI.

User avatar
paminator
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby paminator » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 am

Hi guys. Since this is such a friendly thread (I'm an 11/16er who was accepted 2/12) and people had such helpful advice re: Georgetown/DC vs Fordham/NYC question, I am posting my dilemma.

I need to decide between Fordham/NYC/$5,000/yr scholarship vs BU/Boston/$15,000/yr scholarship. Is this a no brainer and I am being stubbornly blind? I currently live in NYC and am afraid to move because I love it here so much. But BU is ranked slightly higher, and money is money.

Thoughts, party-people?

Good luck to all!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, and-peggy, Baidu [Spider], Caddo16lake, Chipotle85, doritoslocostacos316, hellohalo, JTN1234, malysh, mccracal, mudiverse, SamTarly, TexasENG and 38 guests