Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
This is the whole problem. I'm torn between big law/federal government opportunities. I'm not sure if I want to live in DC, but I guess I couldn't be sure until I go there and visit. I guess I'm just trying to get perspective on what other people would do in my position and why.

Now, I haven't been accepted to Georgetown yet (and really doubt that I will be), but if I was, I would be having a similar issue. New York is my home and I totally love Fordham, but of course there is this whole "rankings" business (which is widely, and maybe not inaccurately, perpetuated by TLS) that makes you feel almost guilty for not just dropping everything to attend the highest ranked school to which you were accepted. Honestly, if you are accepted to both your best bet is to compare money and visit each school to see which you like best.

You were the one who said she was 21, right? There is no better age to pick up and move somewhere new if you are going to do it. DC is a great city and I have a lot of friends who love it there. Neither decision would be a bad one for you. You need to get a feel for both places and trust your gut.

If you'd like to keep the government option wide open I'd say pick Georgetown. It's a good enough school to have decent sway in NYC if you decide to move back after. And it's just 3 years... 3 years to explore a new place while you learn. And stay a tad warmer in winter.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Kim617 wrote:This is the whole problem. I'm torn between big law/federal government opportunities. I'm not sure if I want to live in DC, but I guess I couldn't be sure until I go there and visit. I guess I'm just trying to get perspective on what other people would do in my position and why.

I originally wrote a raelly long piece weighing out both sides, but erased it all to say in as few words as possible what I was driving at.

GW isn't ranked THAT much higher than Fordham. I don't think you said you're getting money from GW, and if you're paying sticker at Fordham, then you need to just ask yourself essentially where do you wanna live during law school? Both schools should give you a good shot at a big law job assuming you finish well in your class. If you wanna live in NYC (because you have friends/family/familiarity) then go for it, if you wanna chagne it up, move to DC, start with a clean slate. You can always go back to NYC on the weekends, I think the Bolt Bus runs between the two cities, you can do your hw and ride at the same time.

I imagine COL will be higher in NYC which will result in higher loans, but if you're doing big law, you'll be fine. If you opt for a gov't job, I'd lean towards GW but I really doubt it'll make any real difference either way.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:33 pm

sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
This is the whole problem. I'm torn between big law/federal government opportunities. I'm not sure if I want to live in DC, but I guess I couldn't be sure until I go there and visit. I guess I'm just trying to get perspective on what other people would do in my position and why.

Now, I haven't been accepted to Georgetown yet (and really doubt that I will be), but if I was, I would be having a similar issue. New York is my home and I totally love Fordham, but of course there is this whole "rankings" business (which is widely, and maybe not inaccurately, perpetuated by TLS) that makes you feel almost guilty for not just dropping everything to attend the highest ranked school to which you were accepted. Honestly, if you are accepted to both your best bet is to compare money and visit each school to see which you like best.

You were the one who said she was 21, right? There is no better age to pick up and move somewhere new if you are going to do it. DC is a great city and I have a lot of friends who love it there. Neither decision would be a bad one for you. You need to get a feel for both places and trust your gut.

If you'd like to keep the government option wide open I'd say pick Georgetown. It's a good enough school to have decent sway in NYC if you decide to move back after. And it's just 3 years... 3 years to explore a new place while you learn. And stay a tad warmer in winter.

Holy crap dude, DC had the snowmageddon this year!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm

sibley wrote:And stay a tad warmer in winter.

Sibley has quickly forgotten the snowpocalpse.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:35 pm

even2flow wrote:
Kim617 wrote:This is the whole problem. I'm torn between big law/federal government opportunities. I'm not sure if I want to live in DC, but I guess I couldn't be sure until I go there and visit. I guess I'm just trying to get perspective on what other people would do in my position and why.

I originally wrote a raelly long piece weighing out both sides, but erased it all to say in as few words as possible what I was driving at.

GW isn't ranked THAT much higher than Fordham. I don't think you said you're getting money from GW, and if you're paying sticker at Fordham, then you need to just ask yourself essentially where do you wanna live during law school? Both schools should give you a good shot at a big law job assuming you finish well in your class. If you wanna live in NYC (because you have friends/family/familiarity) then go for it, if you wanna chagne it up, move to DC, start with a clean slate. You can always go back to NYC on the weekends, I think the Bolt Bus runs between the two cities, you can do your hw and ride at the same time.

I imagine COL will be higher in NYC which will result in higher loans, but if you're doing big law, you'll be fine. If you opt for a gov't job, I'd lean towards GW but I really doubt it'll make any real difference either way.

+1

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:36 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:

We're supposed to get even more snow tonight and tomorrow, though I think it'll be more slush than accumulation.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 pm

even2flow wrote:

GW isn't ranked THAT much higher than Fordham.

I believe Kim said Georgetown. GW =/= Georgetown. Georgetown IS ranked higher than Fordham.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:

We're supposed to get even more snow tonight and tomorrow, though I think it'll be more slush than accumulation.

Oh, I know. We have an event here at work on Friday and we're already talking about having to cancel it. But looking at the weather.com, it looks like it is supposed to be almost 40 degrees tomorrow, so I have no idea how it would accumulate at all. Still, should be totally gross.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:

Oh, I know. We have an event here at work on Friday and we're already talking about having to cancel it. But looking at the weather.com, it looks like it is supposed to be almost 40 degrees tomorrow, so I have no idea how it would accumulate at all. Still, should be totally gross.

Snow doesn't equate to coldest temperatures. There's cold enough for snow, then there's cold enough to DIE walking between the subway and your apartment.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Oops, did I just have major RC fail?

Edit - Oh yeah, that's embarassing.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So, there are only 2 schools that I will possibly be attending. After my rejection from NYU, and my WL from Columbia, I am not really considering Duke (Priority Track WL) and UVA because I don't really want to live in either place, so that leaves Fordham and Georgetown. I haven't heard from Fordham, but assuming I get in (which I'm not assuming, just hypothetical), I think I will have a decision to make. I've lived in NY my whole life, so Fordham is really my only option to stay here, plus if they offered me money, that would make my decision harder (though at this point I doubt they will). Georgetown is higher ranked with higher big law possibilities, but I would have to move away. I would like to figure this out sooner rather than later, because if I get into Fordham, I would be holding onto a spot that someone else might want or conversely, I'm holding a spot at Gtown that someone on the WL could possibly take.

I know that some of you are set on Fordham, but what would you do in my position? I'm asking in here because you guys are cool people and might give me some insight. I'll be visiting Gtown in March for the ASW, so I'll definitely have my decision after that, I think.

My situation has some similarities. I currently live in the DC area, but grew up and lived in New York until I went to college. I'd like to get back to NY eventually, but I've had a good time in DC so far. If you get into Fordham and you have to choose between Georgetown and Fordham, I'd say choose Georgetown. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I would imagine you'd have as good a - but probably a better - shot at a great job in NYC coming out of Georgetown as you would coming out of Fordham. This would mean that you'd only be out of NYC for three years, which isn't a long time.

I only applied to Fordham out of all the NYC schools because I knew I wouldn't have a great shot at Columbia or NYU, and I have some personal ties to the Fordham name. I figured that if I got in, I'd seriously consider it. The more research I've done, the more grads I've talked to, and my visit to the school all make me feel that Fordham would suit me better than any other schools. That's why I've pursued it so much relative to other waitlist opportunities I have.

So, my advice to you would be to figure out what you're thinking longterm, if you're willing to sacrifice time away from NY for a new experience, where you feel more comfortable, which school gives you better options for whatever you want to do, etc. I think that's what most of us have been doing the last few months.

Here's my two cents -- I grew up in NYC, went to UVA undergrad, and have lived in DC for almost four years. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to live in another city. I thought I'd never ever leave New York and if I did, I'd come right back... and here I am eight years later still not back. If you think you might possibly be interested in government, going to Georgetown would be a fantastic opportunity to test out DC and maybe intern during the school year at whatever department or agency interests you. Of course you could do the same in the summer as a Fordham student, but internships are much easier to come by during the school year and Georgetown has an excellent network throughout the district. I work in the Federal govt and run into Georgetown undergrad/grad/SFS/Law alumni all the time.

Another thing to consider is that Georgetown is the best law school in DC whereas Fordham is #3 in New York. While Fordham is an excellent school, it doesnt carry the same gravitas in NY as Georgetown does in DC. If you don't care about that kind of thing then it doesn't matter. Also its very very important to keep in perspective that DC just doesnt come close to NY as a city. Its great for what it is, but its no New York. When you visit keep this in mind.

Just a couple of thoughts from a New Yorker turned DC resident. Good luck with your decision!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm

chutzpah wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So, there are only 2 schools that I will possibly be attending. After my rejection from NYU, and my WL from Columbia, I am not really considering Duke (Priority Track WL) and UVA because I don't really want to live in either place, so that leaves Fordham and Georgetown. I haven't heard from Fordham, but assuming I get in (which I'm not assuming, just hypothetical), I think I will have a decision to make. I've lived in NY my whole life, so Fordham is really my only option to stay here, plus if they offered me money, that would make my decision harder (though at this point I doubt they will). Georgetown is higher ranked with higher big law possibilities, but I would have to move away. I would like to figure this out sooner rather than later, because if I get into Fordham, I would be holding onto a spot that someone else might want or conversely, I'm holding a spot at Gtown that someone on the WL could possibly take.

I know that some of you are set on Fordham, but what would you do in my position? I'm asking in here because you guys are cool people and might give me some insight. I'll be visiting Gtown in March for the ASW, so I'll definitely have my decision after that, I think.

My situation has some similarities. I currently live in the DC area, but grew up and lived in New York until I went to college. I'd like to get back to NY eventually, but I've had a good time in DC so far. If you get into Fordham and you have to choose between Georgetown and Fordham, I'd say choose Georgetown. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I would imagine you'd have as good a - but probably a better - shot at a great job in NYC coming out of Georgetown as you would coming out of Fordham. This would mean that you'd only be out of NYC for three years, which isn't a long time.

I only applied to Fordham out of all the NYC schools because I knew I wouldn't have a great shot at Columbia or NYU, and I have some personal ties to the Fordham name. I figured that if I got in, I'd seriously consider it. The more research I've done, the more grads I've talked to, and my visit to the school all make me feel that Fordham would suit me better than any other schools. That's why I've pursued it so much relative to other waitlist opportunities I have.

So, my advice to you would be to figure out what you're thinking longterm, if you're willing to sacrifice time away from NY for a new experience, where you feel more comfortable, which school gives you better options for whatever you want to do, etc. I think that's what most of us have been doing the last few months.

Here's my two cents -- I grew up in NYC, went to UVA undergrad, and have lived in DC for almost four years. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to live in another city. I thought I'd never ever leave New York and if I did, I'd come right back... and here I am eight years later still not back. If you think you might possibly be interested in government, going to Georgetown would be a fantastic opportunity to test out DC and maybe intern during the school year at whatever department or agency interests you. Of course you could do the same in the summer as a Fordham student, but internships are much easier to come by during the school year and Georgetown has an excellent network throughout the district. I work in the Federal govt and run into Georgetown undergrad/grad/SFS/Law alumni all the time.

Another thing to consider is that Georgetown is the best law school in DC whereas Fordham is #3 in New York. While Fordham is an excellent school, it doesnt carry the same gravitas in NY as Georgetown does in DC. If you don't care about that kind of thing then it doesn't matter. Also its very very important to keep in perspective that DC just doesnt come close to NY as a city. Its great for what it is, but its no New York. When you visit keep this in mind.

Just a couple of thoughts from a New Yorker turned DC resident. Good luck with your decision!

I had no idea it was possible to become a New Yorker -> long-term DC resident. I've been living in DC for not even two years and I want to pull my hair out. I can't wait to move back to NY.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Oh, I know. We have an event here at work on Friday and we're already talking about having to cancel it. But looking at the weather.com, it looks like it is supposed to be almost 40 degrees tomorrow, so I have no idea how it would accumulate at all. Still, should be totally gross.

THIS ^^^
I am getting on that airplane Friday morning and it WILL take off from NWK if I have to get out an push it down the runway!!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Oh, I know. We have an event here at work on Friday and we're already talking about having to cancel it. But looking at the weather.com, it looks like it is supposed to be almost 40 degrees tomorrow, so I have no idea how it would accumulate at all. Still, should be totally gross.

THIS ^^^
I am getting on that airplane Friday morning and it WILL take off from NWK if I have to get out an push it down the runway!!

Oh no! Good luck -- going somewhere fun?

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Oh no! Good luck -- going somewhere fun?

+1, if it is fun, can I come? Work is driving me insane today.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:26 pm

even2flow wrote:

I am going to visit a friend in ski country..... for a much-needed mental health weekend.
If this falls through, my head may explode.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
even2flow wrote:

I am going to visit a friend in ski country..... for a much-needed mental health weekend.
If this falls through, my head may explode.

So jealous. I only got 1 day on snow this year :( It's supposed to be moderately crappy around here this weekend I think. Hopefully you're going somewhere far from the north east. My plans to go to VT to ride on Sunday look like they'll be replaced with laying around watching Lost and playing Legend of Zelda.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm

even2flow wrote:So jealous. I only got 1 day on snow this year :( It's supposed to be moderately crappy around here this weekend I think. Hopefully you're going somewhere far from the north east. My plans to go to VT to ride on Sunday look like they'll be replaced with laying around watching Lost and playing Legend of Zelda.

Far, far, FAR from NYC. 8) Mind you, if you can't ride in VT on Sunday, you have lined up some stellar options...

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm

hi fordham ::waves::

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:43 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Far, far, FAR from NYC. 8) Mind you, if you can't ride in VT on Sunday, you have lined up some stellar options...

Ha yeah, it's gonna be that, or maybe going and reading a book in the coffee shop down the street from my apartment and see if I can finally muster up the courage to talk to the girl that works there isntead of simply mumbling "medium black coffee" as fast as possible then running away as quick as my feet will take me.

That and I decided Friday I'm getting a haircut. Any suggestions?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm

even2flow wrote:Ha yeah, it's gonna be that, or maybe going and reading a book in the coffee shop down the street from my apartment and see if I can finally muster up the courage to talk to the girl that works there isntead of simply mumbling "medium black coffee" as fast as possible then running away as quick as my feet will take me.

LOL - now THAT is what you should ask Coffee Girl!
:wink:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:46 pm

goosey wrote:hi fordham ::waves::

*waving for you* hi, Fordham!

(PMing you back)

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 pm

even2flow wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Far, far, FAR from NYC. 8) Mind you, if you can't ride in VT on Sunday, you have lined up some stellar options...

Ha yeah, it's gonna be that, or maybe going and reading a book in the coffee shop down the street from my apartment and see if I can finally muster up the courage to talk to the girl that works there isntead of simply mumbling "medium black coffee" as fast as possible then running away as quick as my feet will take me.

OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
even2flow wrote:

OMG do you have a Charlie/Waitress thing going on? ;-) I'd give you "advice," but anyone who hasn't seen Always Sunny would just think I was a terrible person.

It is so great that you just said that because I literally just finished watching the ep "Mac's banging the waitress"

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Kim617 wrote: I guess I'm just trying to get perspective on what other people would do in my position and why.

I wouldn't blame you for keeping your options open for as long as you can while you make your decision. It's a big decision and it will take time.

Don't worry about the waitlists. Fordham and Georgetown will go through them until they find one of us fan-boy/girls that drops everything in August to attend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”