Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pikalove

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby pikalove » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
superflush wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:Does it include LGBT?

No. Are you kidding?

Nope. I'm pretty sure the LGBT community is still pretty underrepresented in the legal world... I've worked at a NY firm that was rated high in diversity, but still had a small LGBT population.

Pretty sure you would get in serious trouble if you tried to use URM status, not to mention you would have trouble finding the right URM box to tick......

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:03 pm

superflush wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:Nope. I'm pretty sure the LGBT community is still pretty underrepresented in the legal world... I've worked at a NY firm that was rated high in diversity, but still had a small LGBT population.

Okay. Now we believe you.
:roll:

I see you're here to fight. Happy fighting.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:05 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
superflush wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:Nope. I'm pretty sure the LGBT community is still pretty underrepresented in the legal world... I've worked at a NY firm that was rated high in diversity, but still had a small LGBT population.

Okay. Now we believe you.
:roll:

I see you're here to fight. Happy fighting.

He doesn't seem like he's here to fight.... he just pointed out that your reasoning was flawed. Lets all try to get along!!

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:I see you're here to fight. Happy fighting.

That's fine. You will lose.

pikalove wrote:Pretty sure you would get in serious trouble if you tried to use URM status, not to mention you would have trouble finding the right URM box to tick......

Yea, there is no URM box. There are a few schools that will ask you about your gayness, but it isn't a URM boost.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:11 pm

pikalove wrote:He doesn't seem like he's here to fight.... he just pointed out that your reasoning was flawed. Lets all try to get along!!

Yea. More like this.
Maybe you're unclear that URM status is not something that is up to you, sirchristaylor, but rather something that is pretty set in stone as of right now, and has a lot to do with the latest Supreme Court cases about affirmative action.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a question.

I know that asians aren't usually considered URM...I guess we're more over represented than anything else, but anyway, I was perusing LSN and I noticed that some guy listed his ethnicity as "Southeast Asian" and URM. Is he just retarded, or can you do that?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm

jk11287 wrote:I have a question.

I know that asians aren't usually considered URM...I guess we're more over represented than anything else, but anyway, I was perusing LSN and I noticed that some guy listed his ethnicity as "Southeast Asian" and URM. Is he just retarded, or can you do that?

Eh. I don't think this gets the traditional URM boost, but it might be a slight boost.
I've noticed some of the apps, especially those in CA, ask you to get really specific about what kind of an Asian you are. They have like 20 options or so.
Once, again, you are not checking a URM box. You are just reporting your race (and sometimes ethnicity).

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Maybe if he was a Pacific islander or something? There are actually ethnicities that are underrepresented in schools, but since America decided to slap the term Asian on billions of people with different backgrounds... I think if they discern which kind of Asian you really are, they might take that into account.

Otherwise, everyone knows Asians suffer from affirmative action in school admissions.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 pm

superflush wrote:
pikalove wrote:He doesn't seem like he's here to fight.... he just pointed out that your reasoning was flawed. Lets all try to get along!!

Yea. More like this.
Maybe you're unclear that URM status is not something that is up to you, sirchristaylor, but rather something that is pretty set in stone as of right now, and has a lot to do with the latest Supreme Court cases about affirmative action.

There was no flaw in the reasoning. I never said that LGBT applicants are a URM, but pointed out that it probably should be considered if the other aspects are to be considered. And I think it's pretty clear what's set in stone and what's not. That I say that LGBT people are underrepresented in the legal field doesn't imply that I believe that the consideration process is up to me. But thanks anyway for your earliest response.

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Any more movement on anyone's status checker today? Complete 11/2 also (but submitted before EA deadline), no movement here.

HJO

Postby HJO » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 pm

js87 wrote:Any more movement on anyone's status checker today? Complete 11/2 also (but submitted before EA deadline), no movement here.

same.same

has anyone gone to under review or anything like that? are people just going form complete to decision?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:but since America decided to slap the term Asian on billions of people with different backgrounds

Did America invent the continent of Asia?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

HJO wrote:
js87 wrote:Any more movement on anyone's status checker today? Complete 11/2 also (but submitted before EA deadline), no movement here.

same.same

Same here. No movement.
Hopefully the DNS errors are fixed for everyone.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm

superflush wrote:
HJO wrote:

same.same

Same here. No movement.
Hopefully the DNS errors are fixed for everyone.

Yeah, it's all working for me now, too. But no movement. Sigh. I'd like this one before Thanksgiving, please? kthx.

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:47 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Yeah, it's all working for me now, too. But no movement. Sigh. I'd like this one before Thanksgiving, please? kthx.

Yeah same here, went complete 11/2...this whole not finding out during the first round thing is killing me!! Fordham be nice and send out another round of acceptances...today!

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Maybe if he was a Pacific islander or something? There are actually ethnicities that are underrepresented in schools, but since America decided to slap the term Asian on billions of people with different backgrounds... I think if they discern which kind of Asian you really are, they might take that into account.

Otherwise, everyone knows Asians suffer from affirmative action in school admissions.

Yeah, I'm boring old South Korean so I guess it doesn't even really apply to me.

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

dgb87 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Yeah, it's all working for me now, too. But no movement. Sigh. I'd like this one before Thanksgiving, please? kthx.

Yeah same here, went complete 11/2...this whole not finding out during the first round thing is killing me!! Fordham be nice and send out another round of acceptances...today!

Well, I doubt today...but next week Tuesday would not suprise me, just a last batch before Thanksgiving. They must have a ton of EA applicants to get through and if they are going to get through them all by mid Dec, they are going to have to get out a steady stream.

Looking at LSN, 4 out of 12 of the acceptances at Fordham have already been accepted into higher ranked schools, and others have binding EDs in at other high ranked schools they are competetive for. The adcoms have to know they are not going to get all of these people they let in in the first round, also since Columbia and NYU have not sent out their ED decisions yet, we do not know how many people who have Fordham as a back-up choice and got in will eventually pull their applications before Fordham is done sending out all their EA decisions.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 pm

superflush wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:but since America decided to slap the term Asian on billions of people with different backgrounds

Did America invent the continent of Asia?

lol to answer your question - in some peoplez mindz - yez

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:10 pm

junebug99 wrote:I got an acceptance via stauts checker last night

app complete: 11/2
LSAT: 164
GPa: 3.82

This makes me so much more relieved. I'm 3.74 and 164 myself hoping for FT. I was told to anticipate waitlist but I'm hoping for a straight out acceptance too

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm

I was accepted today ft program: 164, 3.6. I'm not urm and I'm shocked I got accepted - so good luck to all who are waiting!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm

jay115 wrote:I was accepted today ft program: 164, 3.6. I'm not urm and I'm shocked I got accepted - so good luck to all who are waiting!

When did you apply and go complete?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:49 pm

EDIT
Last edited by tram988 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:12 pm

jay115 wrote:I was accepted today ft program: 164, 3.6. I'm not urm and I'm shocked I got accepted - so good luck to all who are waiting!

on your profile it says 167- is one of those a typo?

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:23 pm

would it be totally inappropriate to send Fordham a letter expressing my sincere interest and complete dedication to attend if they let me in? not to mention the fact that I am willing to pay sticker up front?

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

valley splitter wrote:would it be totally inappropriate to send Fordham a letter expressing my sincere interest and complete dedication to attend if they let me in? not to mention the fact that I am willing to pay sticker up front?

Eh, I think it depends. This early in the admissions process, that might look anxious in a bad way. If you applied EA and get deferred to Regluar Admissions, I would say a nicely worded letter about how Fordham is your top choice and why would not kill you.

As far as willing to pay sticker, I think 90% of us are (and the rest have such high numbers they will need major financial incentive to turn down a T14), that isn't really unique and might sort of look like you are trying to buy your way in...not a good thing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”