Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ZXCVBNM

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby ZXCVBNM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:37 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
can someone comment on this? I also want to be first considered for the FT program.. but if I get rejected..can I ask to be considered for the PT program?

In all seriousness, yes - if you are rejected you may reapply for the PT program.

in the same cycle?

Yes, but at this stage in the game I'm not sure how realistic it would be (given application deadlines.)

I applied for FT last year and was rejected in late April and asked to be considered for PT and was accepted in late May. So no, its definitely not too late if you're rejected to send them an email applying for PT.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:45 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:I applied for FT last year and was rejected in late April and asked to be considered for PT and was accepted in late May. So no, its definitely not too late if you're rejected to send them an email applying for PT.

YAY - thank you for posting this! I thought I remembered this, but wasn't sure... and I don't "know" you so I couldn't "summon" you! :mrgreen:

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:
I applied for FT last year and was rejected in late April and asked to be considered for PT and was accepted in late May. So no, its definitely not too late if you're rejected to send them an email applying for PT.

Do you think that the switch to PT is what got you in? Is there any reason to believe that you would not have been admitted to FT via the waitlist?

I'm just curious, because I think that Fordham at least claims that PT admissions standards are the same. Especially with the US News rankings change, program doesn't appear to matter anymore.

runn3rs

Postby runn3rs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 am

jbrowning82 wrote:I just emailed them trying to get them to reevaluate my place on the waitlist because of some other scholarship offers from better schools. I doubt itll work but Ive got nothing to lose. If I stay on the list Im gonna end up going to one of these others anyway.

I wonder if this could backfire and they would decide to YP. I've heard of people doing this post-acceptance but I've never heard of someone doing this on the WL.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:12 am

1) It wouldnt really make sense to YP since Im basically saying if you even come close to their offer I prefer to come to Fordham.
2) If they do YP me then screw it, I'm already on waitlist and I have nice scholarship offers from schools like Notre Dame and Illinois anyway that are higher in the rankings. I just want to be close to my family in NY.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 am

GOOD MORNING, PARTY PEOPLE!!!!
Rise and shine.
For the 11/16ers in the group, today marks 11 weeks of Staying In The Running!
Celebrate! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Welcome back, all. Once More Unto......)

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 am

nygrrrl wrote:GOOD MORNING, PARTY PEOPLE!!!!
Rise and shine.

In case things get a little hairy this week, I recommend singing the following song together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

In the meantime, perhaps a little of bit this song is in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Good luck this week!

<3, - TL
Last edited by tamlyric on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am

Rise and shine.

The eternal optimist.

Hopefully some good news this week after a pretty quiet January.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Rise and shine.

The eternal optimist.

Hopefully some good news this week after a pretty quiet January.

Beats the hell out of the alternative, my friend. :wink:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 am

TL, I'm playing the first one as loud as I can.
There aren't words... <3

wanttoleavemyjob

Postby wanttoleavemyjob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

PT applicants just be warned, I know several partners in charge of hiring at firms and they said they tend to look down on applicants who did the part time program without any job. Similarly, they have a lot of respect for people who work and do well in law school. But doing pt without a job is considered lazy.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am

Rise and shine.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: hoping for lots of good news. we have to hear soon, dont we?? ITS FEBRUARY

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 am

Oh man, it IS February. Time is flying!

As always, good luck to everyone waiting.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 am

wanttoleavemyjob wrote:PT applicants just be warned, I know several partners in charge of hiring at firms and they said they tend to look down on applicants who did the part time program without any job. Similarly, they have a lot of respect for people who work and do well in law school. But doing pt without a job is considered lazy.

hmm. maybe for the 3 or 4 yrs that may look bad. If I'm accepted into PT, I'm not gonna be working, but that's just for the first yr. I plan to make a case for FT thereafter
(the waitlist letter said about a third transition into FT after the first year). So I'm not concerned. And I would think not working throughout a PT program is rare.

In my experience, working at the beginning of your tenure at a competitive school is a not the best idea. I don't know many people that would choose to if they could afford not to. Either way, it takes a LOT to do that, especially if you have a demanding job. So, I think it definitely looks good for someone who does it, but bad only for the person who has never worked at the culmination of their law school experience. Personally, I rather rely on my partner and live by the budget for 10-12 months than to stretch myself too thin just when it matters most. Having worked in technical research for the past 4 yrs, I doubt anyone would blink an eye for one year of "being lazy".

valid point, nonetheless.

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 am

If asked about not working PT in an interview, a response along the lines of "I'm not used to doing things half-ass. If I held a job, I would have had to fully commit to it, which I could not do along with LS." should fly.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am

We had a large discussion about going PT and not working about 15-20 pages ago in this thread, if anyone wants more insight into it. Tesoro had some really valid points about it.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 am

Not to beat a dead horse, as we have talked about this before, but when I talked to a lady from admissions, she said the majority of PT students do not work full time because the PT program is similarly rigorous to the FT program. employers may look at it differently however, i know nothing about that.
Last edited by H. E. Pennypacker on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeahyeah2121

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 am

So I'm sure I could find out this information by perusing the 118 pages of posts in this forum, but I'm being lazy so, question. How long did it take for you to receive your status checker information? I applied in the first week in January (yes, I know it's late and I know I'm probably not going to get in) and I still haven't heard a word from the admissions office. I called early last week and the woman I spoke to said I should hear from them "later in the week" buttt I didn't. Should I be worried?

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 am

Quick question: when transferring from PT to FT, do you get to keep your GPA or do you start all over (with 2L and 3L classes weighted more heavily)?

Same at other schools?

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

All the information in this thread can be summed up with three simple words:

Up

Flick

Down

(Thanks, nygrrrl)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

yeahyeah2121 wrote:So I'm sure I could find out this information by perusing the 118 pages of posts in this forum, but I'm being lazy so, question. How long did it take for you to receive your status checker information? I applied in the first week in January (yes, I know it's late and I know I'm probably not going to get in) and I still haven't heard a word from the admissions office. I called early last week and the woman I spoke to said I should hear from them "later in the week" buttt I didn't. Should I be worried?

it varies. it seems people who applied early got their status checker info pretty quickly.. but apparently the admissions office is really backed up right now so it could be taking longer. you can email them politely, im sure it is fine.

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

rockthelaw wrote:All the information in this thread can be summed up with three simple words:

Up

Flick

Down

(Thanks, nygrrrl)

Answer my question or I'll change my avatar! :D

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 am

SAE wrote:Quick question: when transferring from PT to FT, do you get to keep your GPA or do you start all over (with 2L and 3L classes weighted more heavily)?

Same at other schools?

That's an interesting question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself...

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
SAE wrote:Quick question: when transferring from PT to FT, do you get to keep your GPA or do you start all over (with 2L and 3L classes weighted more heavily)?

Same at other schools?

That's an interesting question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself...

+ 1

I would like to think that a 4.0 GPA in PT is easier to acquire just because you have less credits, but To disgard it and start from scratch, is like suggesting that the program didn't carry any weight, which is another way of saying the program is inferior. Yikes! I don't know if any good school would be willing to make that argument (is there one out there that does this?) And if you look at it from the side of folks who keep their jobs, one could argue that they worked just as hard as a FT for their grades. So, my guess is that its weighted.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 pm

A current Fordham 1L in the PT program wrote on this forum a few pages ago and said that the PT kids are ranked with the FT kids. So, I assume that means that if you transfer to the full-time program and make up the two classes over the summer, your grades all carry over.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”