Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nygrrrl

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 pm

And on an unrelated note....
so.....
FEH.
:|
Happy weekend, all.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:Do u guys think that since I applied to the full time program at Fordham and no one has gotten in with my numbers in the recorded history of LSN that they will consider me for part time automatically and then admit me just to make me feel happy?! I hope so.

No.... but if they do, in fact, reject you, you may ask to be reconsidered for the PT program. Good luck!

edit: I just realized that I answered your very funny, clever post like a... well, like a POST!
Let me revise my response....

TOTALLY! They are totally going to do that because they will see how awesome you are and gosh darn it, they just want to make you happy! :lol: Yes, they will!

can someone comment on this? I also want to be first considered for the FT program.. but if I get rejected..can I ask to be considered for the PT program?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:43 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
can someone comment on this? I also want to be first considered for the FT program.. but if I get rejected..can I ask to be considered for the PT program?

In all seriousness, yes - if you are rejected you may reapply for the PT program.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 am

nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

In all seriousness, yes - if you are rejected you may reapply for the PT program.

in the same cycle?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 am

PunjabiLower wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

in the same cycle?

Yes, but at this stage in the game I'm not sure how realistic it would be (given application deadlines.)

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:21 am

Gonna be in NYC this weekend, I know they don't do tours on the weekend but I'm going to try and stop by the campus and at least see it from the outside. Anything I should look for, specifically?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:Gonna be in NYC this weekend, I know they don't do tours on the weekend but I'm going to try and stop by the campus and at least see it from the outside. Anything I should look for, specifically?

Hmmm - do they still have a map on the website that you can print out? I'm not sure how much you'll be able to see, but maybe you can talk a security guard into letting you walk around? I went in the entrance on 62nd street. Maybe if you call the Goddess of Fordham, she'll be able to help you out... :wink: Have fun!

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:30 am

nygrrrl wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Gonna be in NYC this weekend, I know they don't do tours on the weekend but I'm going to try and stop by the campus and at least see it from the outside. Anything I should look for, specifically?

Hmmm - do they still have a map on the website that you can print out? I'm not sure how much you'll be able to see, but maybe you can talk a security guard into letting you walk around? I went in the entrance on 62nd street. Maybe if you call the Goddess of Fordham, she'll be able to help you out... :wink: Have fun!

I'll take a look for that map, though I didn't see it last time I was on the website.

I'll also try talking to the guard, hope I don't creep him out or anything, haha. Thanks for the tip!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I'll take a look for that map, though I didn't see it last time I was on the website.

I'll also try talking to the guard, hope I don't creep him out or anything, haha. Thanks for the tip!

lol - seriously. You need to talk to opera. Here... summon: OPERA SOPRANO.
She can help you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 am

nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

in the same cycle?

Yes, but at this stage in the game I'm not sure how realistic it would be (given application deadlines.)

would it be possible to shoot them an email and say that while you still have a FT preference you would like to be considered for PT as well? I did that at Gtown and they were fine with the request.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 am

waxloaf wrote:
would it be possible to shoot them an email and say that while you still have a FT preference you would like to be considered for PT as well? I did that at Gtown and they were fine with the request.

It is my understanding that this is NOT possible. I would also gently suggest here that the PT program isn't designed as a back door to Fordham and that the AdComms may not look favorably on people who obviously treat it as such. (That's just my personal opinion - I think if you call the admissions office on Monday they'll be happy to give you the facts. They are very nice!)

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:53 am

nygrrrl wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

It is my understanding that this is NOT possible. I would also gently suggest here that the PT program isn't designed as a back door to Fordham and that the AdComms may not look favorably on people who obviously treat it as such. (That's just my personal opinion - I think if you call the admissions office on Monday they'll be happy to give you the facts. They are very nice!)

I wouldn't know from personal experience as I only plan on doing FT at Fordham, but I think it could also be seen as a sign of desire to attend the school no matter what. I understand the back door argument as well, but I was told by an adcomm at GULC (again, my only experience applying to both ft/pt) that they view it as a person who really wants to go to their school, in any capacity.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 pm

waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

I wouldn't know from personal experience as I only plan on doing FT at Fordham, but I think it could also be seen as a sign of desire to attend the school no matter what. I understand the back door argument as well, but I was told by an adcomm at GULC (again, my only experience applying to both ft/pt) that they view it as a person who really wants to go to their school, in any capacity.

As I said, that's my opinion - I didn't apply to GULC and am only familiar with Fordham's programs.

edit: OK, I have to add this. I don't mean to sound snarky, but the idea that applying for the PT program means you want to attend "in any capacity" sounds to me like you're saying, "I would EVEN go to that inferior program, just to attend your school." Mind you, I intentionally chose the PT program because I want to continue working, so I am openly biased about this (and sometimes, [strike]a bit[/strike] more than a little defensive!) :mrgreen:

(fixt that for me)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

lol - seriously. You need to talk to opera. Here... summon: OPERA SOPRANO.
She can help you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are no scheduled tours on weekends, but they will totally let you walk around if you tell them you are a prospective student. The guards are really nice, but make sure to go in the 62nd St entrance. I got lost a few times going in the other way when I first came to Fordham. I hope you have a lovely time visiting. Just go into the atrium, then take the stairs down to the cafeteria. I have plans tomorrow or I would totally show you the school.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:55 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:There are no scheduled tours on weekends, but they will totally let you walk around if you tell them you are a prospective student. The guards are really nice, but make sure to go in the 62nd St entrance. I got lost a few times going in the other way when I first came to Fordham. I hope you have a lovely time visiting. Just go into the atrium, then take the stairs down to the cafeteria. I have plans tomorrow or I would totally show you the school.

I knew you would have the answers. Thank you! :D

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:59 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
I don't mean to sound snarky

I felt no snarkiness on this end, no worries

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 pm

waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I felt a snarkinez. Nygrrrl scurrrs me.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:57 am

waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Oh good!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 am

ccs1702 wrote:
waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

That iz becuz you know I iz NINJA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:04 am

nygrrrl wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

That iz becuz you know I iz NINJA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

<3 now hurry up and get in!

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 am

For Nygrrrl! And all the others still waiting for Fordham to come to its senses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo :wink:

<3

- TL

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:39 am

tamlyric wrote:For Nygrrrl! And all the others still waiting for Fordham to come to its senses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo :wink:

<3

- TL

<3TL
And yes. I watched the WHOLE THING. :mrgreen:

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 am

I just emailed them trying to get them to reevaluate my place on the waitlist because of some other scholarship offers from better schools. I doubt itll work but Ive got nothing to lose. If I stay on the list Im gonna end up going to one of these others anyway.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:There are no scheduled tours on weekends, but they will totally let you walk around if you tell them you are a prospective student. The guards are really nice, but make sure to go in the 62nd St entrance. I got lost a few times going in the other way when I first came to Fordham. I hope you have a lovely time visiting. Just go into the atrium, then take the stairs down to the cafeteria. I have plans tomorrow or I would totally show you the school.

Thanks for the info; unfortunately I was too busy with what drew me to NYC to have time to visit yesterday. It's a shame, because I hear its well worth the visit.

Anyways, tomorrow is another Monday! Let's hope for some good news this week, especially for those of you who have been waiting far longer then I have.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:23 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:I just emailed them trying to get them to reevaluate my place on the waitlist because of some other scholarship offers from better schools. I doubt itll work but Ive got nothing to lose. If I stay on the list Im gonna end up going to one of these others anyway.

Wow that's interesting. I wonder how much weight that carries, especially now when the economy is on life support and has, thus, pushed so many people into continuing their education. I think there's sufficient consensus that money matters a lot, so I'm curious to know how the sensitive AdComs are to this kind of pressure. One would think that that they would prefer people that would go to their institution at their own cost, especially given the extra applicants, though given the cost of living in places like NYC, maybe they would want to grasp stronger applicants,who are obviously the folks who get merit scholarships anyway.

nygrrrl wrote:
waxloaf wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

As I said, that's my opinion - I didn't apply to GULC and am only familiar with Fordham's programs.

edit: OK, I have to add this. I don't mean to sound snarky, but the idea that applying for the PT program means you want to attend "in any capacity" sounds to me like you're saying, "I would EVEN go to that inferior program, just to attend your school." Mind you, I intentionally chose the PT program because I want to continue working, so I am openly biased about this (and sometimes, [strike]a bit[/strike] more than a little defensive!) :mrgreen:

(fixt that for me)

I definitely threw my name in the PT hat after being WL b/c I'm sold on Fordham (and NYC). And I certainly understand that it seems unfair for people who need to continue working. While Ive been in grad school FT, Ive kept my FT job throughout, and its been really hard, especially when I know law school was where I preferred to be. My score was just too pitiful for a while to get into a quality school, so I put it off until I could earn a better one. So after climbing out of the very bottom ranks of LSAT drama, while working, while writing my master thesis, (while growing my first grey hair), I've promised myself that I would not work once I got in, at least not the first year. I'm so ready to give law school, especially Fordham, 500% of my life, that I preferred PT initially just to make the transition into this very impt experience as smooth as possible. But, like others, I wanted as much consideration as possible because this is just that impt to me.

We're all so siked about Fordham that no matter who, of us, gets in, FLS will officially be upgraded. So whatever happens, folks, GO HARD :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”