Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lolek

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Lolek » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am

beef wellington wrote:
Wow, what a crazy and disturbing story. I got rejected from one of my safeties and thought about sending them something like you did ("Dear American: wtf? Love, bw"). But then I just got nervous that if I asked them what was wrong with my app they'd say something awful ("frankly, you came off like a real douche") and make me even more paranoid about the rest of my cycle. Good for you for overcoming that.

Haha, it would be better to know than wonder about why you got denied at a safety. IMO

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 am

Lolek wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
Wow, what a crazy and disturbing story. I got rejected from one of my safeties and thought about sending them something like you did ("Dear American: wtf? Love, bw"). But then I just got nervous that if I asked them what was wrong with my app they'd say something awful ("frankly, you came off like a real douche") and make me even more paranoid about the rest of my cycle. Good for you for overcoming that.

Haha, it would be better to know than wonder about why you got denied at a safety. IMO

Yeah...I dunno, I'd already submitted all my apps, and I was already in at a better school, so I just let it be. Ironically I had applied for a JD/MA joint degree and I got into the MA program. Pretty bizarre.

yaffa9423

Postby yaffa9423 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 am

That story makes no sense. Why would someone get rejected because of a mess up with their LOR's? Does Fordham even require LORs?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am

yaffa9423 wrote:That story makes no sense. Why would someone get rejected because of a mess up with their LOR's? Does Fordham even require LORs?

No, not required.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:24 am

nygrrrl wrote:
yaffa9423 wrote:That story makes no sense. Why would someone get rejected because of a mess up with their LOR's? Does Fordham even require LORs?

No, not required.

It could be one of those things where they set it up that way to see who doesn't send them in, and then maybe they ask was this person too lazy, could he not find anyone to write him / her a good letter, etc.

Hopefully some of you will get some good news to start the weekend!

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am

Friday Friday Big Apple Pie Day!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

No, not required.

It could be one of those things where they set it up that way to see who doesn't send them in, and then maybe they ask was this person too lazy, could he not find anyone to write him / her a good letter, etc.

i believe the dean has actually said he thinks LOR are useless.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:36 am

englawyer wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

No, not required.

i believe the dean has actually said he thinks LOR are useless.

Here's the actual interview question and answer from Dean Brown, as posted on TLS:

Letters of Recommendation

TLS: Applicants often have difficulty choosing and approaching potential recommenders. Can you offer some general advice regarding letters of recommendation?

Fordham does not require letters of recommendation. We find that they are usually too generic to be of use, and often the recommender barely knows the applicant. If there is a perceived weakness in the application, however, it can be useful to have a recommender explain it. If there are real strengths or things that the recommender an so to add to the student’s story – that is a plus

TLS: Does the admissions committee come across letters of recommendation that actually hurt an applicant’s chances of admission? If so, what sort of letter should be avoided? How often do you find letters that really stick out from the crowd, and what do these letters consist of?

Students need to ask their recommenders whether they can write something positive! Every year, there are a handful of letters stating: “I do not recommend this person.” It’s not an auto-ding, but it does make us take a hard look at the applicant. We usually call the recommenders to confirm that they actually wrote these negative letters.

Link to the full interview: http://www.top-law-schools.com/stephen- ... rview.html

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:38 am

So, I think the point is that recommendations written by someone with whom you do not have a strong relationship, or who doesn't know your strengths, personality, and career goals, do not help you in the admissions process. A letter from someone who knows you well might help, but it's not guaranteed to bump you from a maybe to an admit.
Last edited by rockthelaw on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

rockthelaw wrote:So, I think the point is that recommendations written by someone with whom you do not have a strong relationship, or who doesn't know your strengths, personality, and career goals, does not help you in the admissions process. A letter from someone who knows you well might help, but it's not guaranteed to bump you from a maybe to an admit.

^^^THIS.
I read that interview, too - and I tailored my LORs because of it. 2 very specific individuals who could speak to how my (bizarre!) WE would contribute to my performance in LS and to why I was applying to Fordham, now.
(And fwiw? I LOVED Dean Brown for this response - I mean, I've always thought this. Who's going to submit a BAD LOR? I've read a lot of them in my day... and they really are all pretty much the same. "S/he is going to be a wonderful contribution to your program/etc" :lol: )

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

umichgrad wrote:Friday Friday Big Apple Pie Day!

<3 !!!!
Piiiiiiieeeeeee......
YUM

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 am

I like that he uses "auto-ding," not "automatic rejection." The idea that admissions people use our jargon is amusing. I wonder if they would say "TITCR" when they agree with each other on an applicant's fate :lol:

Ah well, anything to help with the monotony of status checker checking.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:I like that he uses "auto-ding," not "automatic rejection." The idea that admissions people use our jargon is amusing. I wonder if they would say "TITCR" when they agree with each other on an applicant's fate :lol:

AdComs are PEOPLE, Just Like Us! hee hee

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:I like that he uses "auto-ding," not "automatic rejection." The idea that admissions people use our jargon is amusing. I wonder if they would say "TITCR" when they agree with each other on an applicant's fate :lol:

"Dear nygrrrl/goosey/alan shore, ITT: ur admitted! congratz! The Adcomms look forward to welcoming you @ Fordham's ASW n we sincerely appreciate ur patience. Sry we took so long---lolwut? We rly liked umichgrad's customized baked goods, bribery FTW! Neway, we <3 u guys even tho ur 0Ls, now u can ditch the Bitter Pessimism thread, and come to Fordham c/o2013! Love, Fordham Adcomms. Edit: In before OS!!"

paminator

Postby paminator » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

Thank goodness for CuteOverload archives...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

umichgrad wrote:

"Dear nygrrrl/goosey/alan shore, ITT: ur admitted! congratz! The Adcomms look forward to welcoming you @ Fordham's ASW n we sincerely appreciate ur patience. Sry we took so long---lolwut? We rly liked umichgrad's customized baked goods, bribery FTW! Neway, we <3 u guys even tho ur 0Ls, now u can ditch the Bitter Pessimism thread, and come to Fordham c/o2013! Love, Fordham Adcomms. Edit: In before OS!!"

srsly roflmfao

SAE

Postby SAE » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 am

This may not be groundbreaking, but looking at LSN, I just realized that the last batch of decisions went out nearly 3 weeks ago (1/11). :!:

:|

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm

What does Fordham think about GPA supplement/explanations?

Anyone know? I'm waitlisted and desperate... Are my freshman grades really going to haunt me the rest of my life?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:What does Fordham think about GPA supplement/explanations?

Anyone know? I'm waitlisted and desperate... Are my freshman grades really going to haunt me the rest of my life?

Per the interview linked upthread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/stephen- ... rview.html
TLS: In what circumstances should an applicant include an addendum to explain his or her low GPA or LSAT score? What should this addendum include?

An addendum should be short and direct. Don’t whine! Be forthright, and use your judgment, if there is something about your application you feel the school should know.

[. . . ]

TLS: How much will an upward grade trend positively influence the likelihood of admission?

Upward grade trends are taken into consideration. I understand that some people scramble to find their footing in college, and this is something we all can relate to.

Whether that bears out in the actual process, I can't say, but that's what their associate dean of admissions says.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 pm

TGIF!

Another day of waiting, another day of hoping all you sexy people still waiting get that acceptance! (and here's to hoping for some positive movement on that waitlist too! :D)

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:52 pm

nygrrrl wrote:AdComs are PEOPLE, Just Like Us! hee hee

That's a dirty lie and you know it.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 pm

umichgrad wrote:

Haha! I wish! Okay I'm in Miami this weekend for competition. It will be a nice distraction. Plus is is freeeeeezing in the northeast right now.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Do u guys think that since I applied to the full time program at Fordham and no one has gotten in with my numbers in the recorded history of LSN that they will consider me for part time automatically and then admit me just to make me feel happy?! I hope so.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm

tick...tock....tick....tock...*head explodes*

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Do u guys think that since I applied to the full time program at Fordham and no one has gotten in with my numbers in the recorded history of LSN that they will consider me for part time automatically and then admit me just to make me feel happy?! I hope so.

No.... but if they do, in fact, reject you, you may ask to be reconsidered for the PT program. Good luck!

edit: I just realized that I answered your very funny, clever post like a... well, like a POST!
Let me revise my response....

TOTALLY! They are totally going to do that because they will see how awesome you are and gosh darn it, they just want to make you happy! :lol: Yes, they will!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”