Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AlanShore

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:03 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
AlanShore wrote:from all the weird WL it seems to me like fordham is trying to stick very close to their medians. theyve WL a lot of very solid splitters and i think its because they really want to stay within a specific range. for example, they are more likely to take a 166 3.7 over a 170 3.4 even though a 3.4 is still very good.. any thoughts?

I think a lot of it is that they're also trying to protect their yield. The 166/3.7 is much more likely to actually attend Fordham than the 170/3.4, because the latter will likely get into a T14 or two, and probably money at some T20s.

yep i agree. well, i hope we are right. i am not a splitter..

I am, and I am on the WL. :cry: I do have some $$ offers from some other schools though, but NYC really really really appeals to me, so I was rather disappointed. Visiting in a few weeks, hoping that will help.

sorry nancy. what are your #s? are your $ offers from schools of similar rank? fordham is being quite tough this year. visiting should definitely help. OS swears by it. :)

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

I think a lot of it is that they're also trying to protect their yield. The 166/3.7 is much more likely to actually attend Fordham than the 170/3.4, because the latter will likely get into a T14 or two, and probably money at some T20s.[/quote]
yep i agree. well, i hope we are right. i am not a splitter..[/quote]

I am, and I am on the WL. :cry: I do have some $$ offers from some other schools though, but NYC really really really appeals to me, so I was rather disappointed. Visiting in a few weeks, hoping that will help.[/quote]
sorry nancy. what are your #s? are your $ offers from schools of similar rank? fordham is being quite tough this year. visiting should definitely help. OS swears by it. :)[/quote]

But visiting and doing what? popping into the admissions office? dropping your name?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 pm

sjedood wrote:I think a lot of it is that they're also trying to protect their yield. The 166/3.7 is much more likely to actually attend Fordham than the 170/3.4, because the latter will likely get into a T14 or two, and probably money at some T20s.

yep i agree. well, i hope we are right. i am not a splitter..[/quote]

I am, and I am on the WL. :cry: I do have some $$ offers from some other schools though, but NYC really really really appeals to me, so I was rather disappointed. Visiting in a few weeks, hoping that will help.[/quote]
sorry nancy. what are your #s? are your $ offers from schools of similar rank? fordham is being quite tough this year. visiting should definitely help. OS swears by it. :)[/quote]

But visiting and doing what? popping into the admissions office? dropping your name?[/quote]
yea talking to some adcomm people. OS just says that they are more likely to accept you if they know you really want to go. message OS, she'll give you good feedback

Lolek

Postby Lolek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Alan, you keep making solid points about why we're at the statuses we are. I hope you're right :)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Lolek wrote:Alan, you keep making solid points about why we're at the statuses we are. I hope you're right :)

i hope i'm right! when were you complete again? (sorry i keep losing track of everyone). lets hope we get some movement this week...................

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm

AlanShore wrote:sorry nancy. what are your #s? are your $ offers from schools of similar rank? fordham is being quite tough this year. visiting should definitely help. OS swears by it. :)

I'm 170/<3.1, and I have $$ from UIUC, UMN, and W&M. Still waiting on a decision from NU, which is my #1. I know the offers from UIUC and UMN are really great, but I'd much rather live in NYC, and I'd ideally like to practice there. So unless I get NU, I really want Fordham.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

sjedood wrote:But visiting and doing what? popping into the admissions office? dropping your name?

Yeah, I actually need to call and see if I can set up a meeting with someone or something, or at very least a tour so I can stop in and at least let them see that I'm interested enough to fly all the way out there (I'm in Phoenix).

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:28 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
sjedood wrote:But visiting and doing what? popping into the admissions office? dropping your name?

Yeah, I actually need to call and see if I can set up a meeting with someone or something, or at very least a tour so I can stop in and at least let them see that I'm interested enough to fly all the way out there (I'm in Phoenix).

wow phoenix! thats dedication. good luck!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Does anyone know when guided tours are offered? I'm on the WL and looking to visit on Wednesday, and I would like to get a guided tour, as opposed to a self-guided, so that I can ask a bunch of questions. The page on Fordham's website that would contain this info seems to be blank

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

So as a student who has not even received a decision, it is of the norm, or maybe not norm but accepted practice to request a meeting with someone from the admissions office?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 pm

dakatz wrote:Does anyone know when guided tours are offered? I'm on the WL and looking to visit on Wednesday, and I would like to get a guided tour, as opposed to a self-guided, so that I can ask a bunch of questions. The page on Fordham's website that would contain this info seems to be blank

Katz - this is one for Opera. I THINK that all of the guided tours are done, for the year... but she would know (and yeah, checked the site and found the same thing you did. :shock: )

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dakatz wrote:Does anyone know when guided tours are offered? I'm on the WL and looking to visit on Wednesday, and I would like to get a guided tour, as opposed to a self-guided, so that I can ask a bunch of questions. The page on Fordham's website that would contain this info seems to be blank

Katz - this is one for Opera. I THINK that all of the guided tours are done, for the year... but she would know (and yeah, checked the site and found the same thing you did. :shock: )

If thats the case, I would just do the self-guided tour. Really, all I want is to talk to someone in admissions, put a face to my file, and show my interest in the school. I would think that a sincere LOCI and school visit shows quite a bit of interest.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 pm

dakatz wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

If thats the case, I would just do the self-guided tour. Really, all I want is to talk to someone in admissions, put a face to my file, and show my interest in the school. I would think that a sincere LOCI and school visit shows quite a bit of interest.

HECK yeah! I'm a bit more iffy about going to the admissions office because my app is still pending... but OS has been pretty open about the fact that she thinks visiting/LOCI/showing interest is key. Best of luck, to you!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dakatz wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

HECK yeah! I'm a bit more iffy about going to the admissions office because my app is still pending... but OS has been pretty open about the fact that she thinks visiting/LOCI/showing interest is key. Best of luck, to you!

Thanks.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm

At the ASD today they said if you wanted to come to sit it on a class / visit just give them a call and they will work on it. I hope that helps...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:17 pm

lietx3 wrote:At the ASD today they said if you wanted to come to sit it on a class / visit just give them a call and they will work on it. I hope that helps...

Thank you so much! That's great info. Was the ASD good?

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 pm

lietx3 wrote:At the ASD today they said if you wanted to come to sit it on a class / visit just give them a call and they will work on it. I hope that helps...

Were they referring only to admitted students, or to any applicant including those of us who have been waitlisted?

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Yea. It was pretty interesting. They did a mock class and stuff and showed us the campus which pretty much sold me.

They also told us how they operate on a 40/60 split between a bidding system (like at the T14 where an employer interviews you no matter what) and an employer driven system (where the employer weeds through resumes and picks people to interview). Which was extremely cool as well. The hybrid system is also apprently rarely done.

And the people who are in charge of career planning seemed like they were the Ari Golds of law student employment lol.

Met Opera too she gave us our tour.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:

Were they referring only to admitted students, or to any applicant including those of us who have been waitlisted?

They didn't specify but I have a friend who hasn't gotten in (or been WL or anything yet) who called and set one up.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 am

lietx3 wrote:
And the people who are in charge of career planning seemed like they were the Ari Golds of law student employment lol.

TOTALLYYYY
couldn't have put it better! Suzanne seems like a strong, professional lady... you just know she gets the job done and does it all with a smile. She really earned my respect with that presentation!!

enjoyed the mock class too!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 am

SanBun wrote:
lietx3 wrote:

TOTALLYYYY
couldn't have put it better! Suzanne seems like a strong, professional lady... you just know she gets the job done and does it all with a smile. She really earned my respect with that presentation!!

enjoyed the mock class too!

LOVED the mock class -- now I can't wait until law school starts!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

Dear Fordham,

Plz let ma frends in today.

kthnxbai

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am

emrose wrote:Dear Fordham,

Plz let ma frends in today.

kthnxbai

+ 100000000000 (also thnx Em <3!)

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:31 am

Well, I guess our bold prediction about a "big wave of admissions before the ASW" was overly optimistic...

... and the wait goes on.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

well it doesn't appear that I missed anything during my short trip to Florida....at least I'm slightly less pale

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”