Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pikalove

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby pikalove » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
pikalove wrote:I don't want to get ahead in myself, but does anyone know the protocol with scholarships?

I've heard Fordham is pretty stingy.

I know.... but I love NYC & am poor :cry: Please Fordham?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm

So from my assumptions between CA and NY, I've noticed that:

Columbia = Stanford
NYU = Berkeley
Cornell = UCLA

(this is all relatively similar ranked schools, although NY seems to always be higher)

My question is what's Fordham? Is it USC? or is it hastings/davis?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 pm

finalaspects wrote:So from my assumptions between CA and NY, I've noticed that:

Columbia = Stanford
NYU = Berkeley
Cornell = UCLA

(this is all relatively similar ranked schools, although NY seems to always be higher)

Uh... what?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:17 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Columbia = Stanford
NYU = Berkeley
Cornell = UCLA

Uh... what?

lol nm... i just trying to pass the time i guess. But put another way would one want to attend fordham over USC? without taking into account the preference of state.

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

finalaspects wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

Columbia = Stanford
NYU = Berkeley
Cornell = UCLA

Uh... what?

lol nm... i just trying to pass the time i guess. But put another way would one want to attend fordham over USC? without taking into account the preference of state.

NY>CA

Easy one.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

beebs wrote:NY>CA

Easy one.

I would make the bet that you're from the east.

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Easy one.

Midwest actually, living in NYC now. Thanks for the compliment!

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:30 pm

beebs wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Easy one.

I think there is a lot of love for NYC from those of us who transplanted here. And a lot of love for the schools here.

After you have lived in NYC for a while you are either in love with it, or could take it or leave it (if you hate it, you are out in under 6 months). I happen to love the city, I have a very hard time imagining living anywhere else and being as happy.

While a lot of people will argue you should go to the highest ranked school you can, I think being happy is more important...unless you really thrive being miserable.

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm

RubyDoomsday wrote:
beebs wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Easy one.

I think there is a lot of love for NYC from those of us who transplanted here. And a lot of love for the schools here.

After you have lived in NYC for a while you are either in love with it, or could take it or leave it (if you hate it, you are out in under 6 months). I happen to love the city, I have a very hard time imagining living anywhere else and being as happy.

While a lot of people will argue you should go to the highest ranked school you can, I think being happy is more important...unless you really thrive being miserable.

I agree. From the day I moved here, I cannot imagine leaving the city. Hence my undying love and desire to attend Fordham.

However, if Cornell comes knocking, I don't know if I can turn that down. But Ithica? Yuck.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 pm

^ This is why Fordham is still high on my list even though I could easily squeeze into several T20 schools.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm

RubyDoomsday wrote:
beebs wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Easy one.

I received this excellent advice from a friend already in law school, and I'd like to share in hopes it helps anyone else as well:

The traditional line of thinking as far as which law school to attend
used to be that you go to the top ranked school you get into,
regardless of what money you get or how much you even like it. I went
by that standard - I didn't see the (school removed) Law building until the first
day of orientation - dead serious. The reasoning behind it was that
you'd then get into one of the best firms, make absurd amounts of
money to pay off your debt, then leave that life behind and "do what
you want."

However, there is a major shift occurring in the legal community right
now, mostly because of the implosion of big firms. What is becoming
increasingly important as you look for jobs is not your school's
ranking and your GPA (they're still important, but not the ONLY
factors anymore) - it's whether your resume and experiences tell a
cohesive story about where you want to end up and your commitment to
the field of law that you're positioning yourself for. I think you
should go to the law school that you WANT to go to. If you don't want
to leave this 300 mile radius, absolutely do not - because law school
is designed to be miserable and defeating, and if you don't have
something good outside of it, you will hate your life.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

i agree that the economy has forced people to look at law school and the job market a little differently, but if you can sort of eek out enough to go to the best school you can, then you should do it. The economy isn't going to be like this forever...but the way in which prospective employers view which law school you attended will. However, I'm not advocating that you should pay sticker for a school ranked maybe 15 instead of paying half tuition at a 25 or something. But you know.

And I think Fordham=USC. It's a pretty well-respected school in New York. And I know for me, and for a lot of people, I'd rather be in NY than in LA...which is I think one of the biggest attractions of the school, but also one that the school is very sensitive to. I think that's why they make you list the other schools to which you're applying on your application, because they realize that a lot of people just dump an application in there because of the location. That being said, I also think that it places relatively well in big law (the circumstances of our current economic predicament notwithstanding) in comparison to some other schools ranked comparably.

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Oh, well, I guess if they ding me it will be because I listed Cardozo and St. John's on my other applications list in addition to it being a reach.

Sadly, in IP, geography and strong practice areas are linked.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:02 pm

RubyDoomsday wrote:Oh, well, I guess if they ding me it will be because I listed Cardozo and St. John's on my other applications list in addition to it being a reach.

Sadly, in IP, geography and strong practice areas are linked.

No, I think that's fine. What I meant was, if you have a 172/3.7 and you're applying to NYU, Columbia, and Fordham, I think the adcoms are realizing that barring a huge scholarship, you're probably not going to attend Fordham.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:18 pm

jk11287 wrote:i agree that the economy has forced people to look at law school and the job market a little differently, but if you can sort of eek out enough to go to the best school you can, then you should do it. The economy isn't going to be like this forever...but the way in which prospective employers view which law school you attended will. However, I'm not advocating that you should pay sticker for a school ranked maybe 15 instead of paying half tuition at a 25 or something. But you know.

And I think Fordham=USC. It's a pretty well-respected school in New York. And I know for me, and for a lot of people, I'd rather be in NY than in LA...which is I think one of the biggest attractions of the school, but also one that the school is very sensitive to. I think that's why they make you list the other schools to which you're applying on your application, because they realize that a lot of people just dump an application in there because of the location. That being said, I also think that it places relatively well in big law (the circumstances of our current economic predicament notwithstanding) in comparison to some other schools ranked comparably.

I think I would agree that Fordham is more like USC even though their rank is considerably lower. #18 vs. #30

But USC will do much better employment wise in CA respectively, while Fordham will do much better in NY.

With that said... i don't know how you new yorkers live in the cold. Personally i can't imagine living an entire season in the snow. I consider 40 degrees F cold. Maybe I'm just spoiled by perfect weather all year round usually in CA. Nonetheless the few times i visited New York, i loved it. Especially the fact that you don't need a car to get around NYC. In CA, everything is 30-40 minutes away at least and we don't have much of a subway system.

My difficulty will arise if i get accepted to Davis/Hastings vs. Fordham.

ViP

Postby ViP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jk11287 wrote:i agree that the economy has forced people to look at law school and the job market a little differently, but if you can sort of eek out enough to go to the best school you can, then you should do it. The economy isn't going to be like this forever...but the way in which prospective employers view which law school you attended will. However, I'm not advocating that you should pay sticker for a school ranked maybe 15 instead of paying half tuition at a 25 or something. But you know.

I think I would agree that Fordham is more like USC even though their rank is considerably lower. #18 vs. #30

But USC will do much better employment wise in CA respectively, while Fordham will do much better in NY.

With that said... i don't know how you new yorkers live in the cold. Personally i can't imagine living an entire season in the snow. I consider 40 degrees F cold. Maybe I'm just spoiled by perfect weather all year round usually in CA. Nonetheless the few times i visited New York, i loved it. Especially the fact that you don't need a car to get around NYC. In CA, everything is 30-40 minutes away at least and we don't have much of a subway system.

It shouldn't be too difficult, in all honesty.

If you want and plan to work in California, it's a no-brainer for Davis/Hastings.

If you plan to work in NYC (or anywhere in the Northeast), it's a no-brainer for Fordham.

If you're open to both options, think of where you'd truly rather live (not just during law school, but after it).

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:

It's the suffering through the winter that makes the spring/summer AMAZING.

jayare

Postby jayare » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:56 pm

beebs wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

Columbia = Stanford
NYU = Berkeley
Cornell = UCLA

Uh... what?

NY>CA

Easy one.

+1, and I'm from CA.

intlawgrl

Postby intlawgrl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Just got my acceptance from Fordham via status checker. Really excited, it's my first one! Good luck to everyone else who applied!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:08 pm

intlawgrl wrote:Just got my acceptance from Fordham via status checker. Really excited, it's my first one! Good luck to everyone else who applied!

stats, in-state or out of state, PT or FT? Please

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:12 pm

From the looks of it on LSN... fordham is definitely trying to up their median. Only accepted 167+ LSAT and higher so far.

intlawgrl

Postby intlawgrl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Accepted FT, I'm out of state, 168, 3.52, profile's on LSN w/same name.

logitech

Postby logitech » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 pm

finalaspects wrote:From the looks of it on LSN... fordham is definitely trying to up their median. Only accepted 167+ LSAT and higher so far.

I noticed this as well. I have a feeling they are trying to get a little closer to a 168-170 school. With the amount of applicants they will most likely receive, they can certainly increase the median this year.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 pm

logitech wrote:
finalaspects wrote:From the looks of it on LSN... fordham is definitely trying to up their median. Only accepted 167+ LSAT and higher so far.

I noticed this as well. I have a feeling they are trying to get a little closer to a 168-170 school. With the amount of applicants they will most likely receive, they can certainly increase the median this year.

Or it could be that the only applicants they are admitting right away are those with 167+

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:44 pm

logitech wrote:

Without trying to add to the madness, I spoke to a friend of mine, who is a 3L at Fordham a few days ago.

He said that Fordham loves to "game the rankings", and that after dropping a few spots in recent years, they are trying to gain some ground.

On a side note, let's hope it's a 167+ school, then it includes me. :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”