Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jk11287

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby jk11287 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Just to weigh in on the previous debate (hey, I've got lack of law school acceptances insomnia) without re-igniting the flame, I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects. While the entire legal market obviously took a hit, we have over a year before we really have to even think about that. You can't base your entire career/life on the economy right now. While I'm sure (sorry, no numbers/pictures...only common sense) that a lot of NYC firms may look to NYU/Columbia first to hire, I also know that Fordham places in biglaw exceptionally well when held against comparable schools. And SanBun, while you may be correct that Fordham students' presence at law firms has been declining as of late, I would attribute that just as much to the fact that we they already made up a smaller proportion of the population overall. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like they are cutting Fordham students and keeping NYU/Columbia, but rather a lot of cutting back all around.

And again, not to antagonize, but I think money should be a primary consideration when it comes to Fordham. I think its a great school, I would consider myself lucky to go there...but when it comes down to it, if you're paying sticker price and trying to pay rent in one of the craziest real estate markets on the planet, it is simply a practical concern to try to way the cost/benefit of the school.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:02 am

jk11287 wrote:Just to weigh in on the previous debate (hey, I've got lack of law school acceptances insomnia) without re-igniting the flame, I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects. While the entire legal market obviously took a hit, we have over a year before we really have to even think about that. You can't base your entire career/life on the economy right now. While I'm sure (sorry, no numbers/pictures...only common sense) that a lot of NYC firms may look to NYU/Columbia first to hire, I also know that Fordham places in biglaw exceptionally well when held against comparable schools. And SanBun, while you may be correct that Fordham students' presence at law firms has been declining as of late, I would attribute that just as much to the fact that we they already made up a smaller proportion of the population overall. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like they are cutting Fordham students and keeping NYU/Columbia, but rather a lot of cutting back all around.

And again, not to antagonize, but I think money should be a primary consideration when it comes to Fordham. I think its a great school, I would consider myself lucky to go there...but when it comes down to it, if you're paying sticker price and trying to pay rent in one of the craziest real estate markets on the planet, it is simply a practical concern to try to way the cost/benefit of the school.

Thanks for your response jk, appreciate it. I think you're right when you say that one's entire legal career will not be determined by a couple of years of economic slump. One way or another, I hope the economic situation will improve once we have to think about 1L (edit: typed L1 at first :) ) interviews. I agree, a careful cost/ benefit analysis is of great practical value to prospective students.

I actually took a class with an HLS grad, who's also been a litigation partner at a large firm for over 20 years. Having seen the major changes in the legal market over the past decades, he strongly advised us to be critical about pure name recognition, and really look into what the school offers. He repeatedly emphasized that we should engage in such considerations when deciding what school to attend, in particular when it comes to scholarship money, even if that leads us to attend a low ranking school with a scholarship over a more expensive school w/o money.

You're right, New York is probably the craziest real estate market and some Fordham scholarship love would be great... Can't check though, since I'm traveling abroad over winter break, no need to say I'm waiting impatiently to get back and tear open those Fordham letters.

Does anyone know how long it takes for Fordham to get out the scholarship information? Do they send it along with the acceptance or does it come in a separate letter?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am

SanBun wrote:
Does anyone know how long it takes for Fordham to get out the scholarship information? Do they send it along with the acceptance or does it come in a separate letter?

Personally, I got my information in a seperate letter a few days after the acceptance letter. I haven't heard much from others about this, though, so they may be holding off for awhile. The financial aid office is very helpful -- I'm going in to talk to them in January. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and express your interest if you are hoping for some merit aid.

kmen

Postby kmen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
SanBun wrote:

Personally, I got my information in a seperate letter a few days after the acceptance letter. I haven't heard much from others about this, though, so they may be holding off for awhile. The financial aid office is very helpful -- I'm going in to talk to them in January. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and express your interest if you are hoping for some merit aid.

When did you get accepted and when did you get your letter? I was accepted on 12/8 and have not received an acceptance letter.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 am

kmen wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
SanBun wrote:

When did you get accepted and when did you get your letter? I was accepted on 12/8 and have not received an acceptance letter.

I found out via stat checker on 11/18 and got my acceptance letter around the 23rd. Scholarship info on the 25th. I might have just missed the insanity that is holiday mail. I also live nearby, so the letters didn't have very far to go.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 pm

I cant take another rejection :(

*heartbroken*

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 pm

goosey wrote:I cant take another rejection :(

*heartbroken*

Did you hear anything?? Don't give up yet!

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:23 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

*heartbroken*

nope, still at complete. but just got my 2nd rejection (I have only heard from two schools thus far, both denials) and I am about ready to just apply to masters programs and give up. I applied to Fordham thinking I had no chance in hell--and after having spoken to admissions I learned that may not necessarily be the case, so I got a little bit of hope--and started looking into Fordham seriously and all the ways it would be PERFECT if i got in accepted.

and if I get turned down by Fordham now..I will seriously give up on law school.

for the sake of my emotional well-being, fordham, PLEASE ACCEPT MEEE

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 pm

goosey wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

*heartbroken*

nope, still at complete. but just got my 2nd rejection (I have only heard from two schools thus far, both denials) and I am about ready to just apply to masters programs and give up. I applied to Fordham thinking I had no chance in hell--and after having spoken to admissions I learned that may not necessarily be the case, so I got a little bit of hope--and started looking into Fordham seriously and all the ways it would be PERFECT if i got in accepted.

and if I get turned down by Fordham now..I will seriously give up on law school.

Oh Goosey - don't give up. They just JUST finished with the EAs. I'm afraid we won't hear until January (that's what I'm being told), but this is NOT over, by a LOOOOONG shot.
Hang in there!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
goosey wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

*heartbroken*

Oh Goosey - don't give up. They just JUST finished with the EAs. I'm afraid we won't hear until January (that's what I'm being told), but this is NOT over, by a LOOOOONG shot.
Hang in there!

+1! Don't give up, goosey!!!

Stellar

Postby Stellar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Sorry if this has been asked and re-asked -- or is common knowledge -- but have any RDs gotten in yet?

Thanks <3 You Guys!

(Even NYGrrrl and SanBun -- together -- at the same time -- so much love)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Stellar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and re-asked -- or is common knowledge -- but have any RDs gotten in yet?

Thanks <3 You Guys!

FWIW, I was RD and waitlisted.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Burger in a can wrote:+1! Don't give up, goosey!!!

thanks guys..wow christmas break is going to kill us, isnt it haha

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Stellar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and re-asked -- or is common knowledge -- but have any RDs gotten in yet?

i got in RD via status checker last night

kmen

Postby kmen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks <3 You Guys!

RD complete early November and in 12/8

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:42 pm

:( :( :( :( :( i wanna get in!!!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:43 pm

AlanShore wrote::( :( :( :( :( i wanna get in!!!

You will, AlanShore. :)

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:56 pm

I just got the scholarship letter in the mail, and I seriously can't tell if they mean the money is per year or over three years ($25,000) because of the way the letter is phrased ("it will be renewed automatically each year, etc...). I'm assuming it's over three years, which is a bummer.

Sig218

Postby Sig218 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Got the 25k scholarship letter today as well. I assumed it was per year, but I can see where you're coming from. I guess I'll give them a ring on Monday to see.

eye

Postby eye » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Sig218 wrote:Got the 25k scholarship letter today as well. I assumed it was per year, but I can see where you're coming from. I guess I'll give them a ring on Monday to see.

Stats please?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:06 pm

eye wrote:
Sig218 wrote:Got the 25k scholarship letter today as well. I assumed it was per year, but I can see where you're coming from. I guess I'll give them a ring on Monday to see.

Stats please?

profile says 168/3.8

:cry:

Sig218

Postby Sig218 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:41 pm

IAFG wrote:
eye wrote:

Stats please?

profile says 168/3.8

:cry:

Correct on the numbers...

Though to be honest, I wasn't expecting any $$ at all from Fordham, as I heard they're stingy from a couple of people.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Sig218 wrote:
Though to be honest, I wasn't expecting any $$ at all from Fordham, as I heard they're stingy from a couple of people.

dude, check out their LSN stats on money, they are brutal. which is why i offer you the most heartfelt congratulations i can when i am as jealous as i am.

jrobby6

Postby jrobby6 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:47 pm

jk11287 wrote:Just to weigh in on the previous debate (hey, I've got lack of law school acceptances insomnia) without re-igniting the flame, I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects. While the entire legal market obviously took a hit, we have over a year before we really have to even think about that. You can't base your entire career/life on the economy right now. While I'm sure (sorry, no numbers/pictures...only common sense) that a lot of NYC firms may look to NYU/Columbia first to hire, I also know that Fordham places in biglaw exceptionally well when held against comparable schools. And SanBun, while you may be correct that Fordham students' presence at law firms has been declining as of late, I would attribute that just as much to the fact that we they already made up a smaller proportion of the population overall. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like they are cutting Fordham students and keeping NYU/Columbia, but rather a lot of cutting back all around.

I have to add to this, but, while giving tours to prospective students at my undergrad today I randomly met a Fordham 2L. I asked her about her OCI and she said she doesn't have a job lined up this summer. Instead of focusing on the NY legal market, she is shifting gears towards the NJ area. She also claimed that about the top 5% are currently getting jobs as opposed to the 85% in the past. Of course this is a little exaggerated, but I am now weary of even applying. Thoughts?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm

jrobby6 wrote:I have to add to this, but, while giving tours to prospective students at my undergrad today I met a Fordham 2L. I asked her about her OCI and she said she doesn't have a job lined up this summer. Instead of focusing on the NY legal market, she is shifting gears towards the NJ area. She also claimed that about the top 5% are currently getting jobs as opposed to the 85% in the past. Of course this is a little exaggerated, but I am now weary of even applying. Thoughts?

Two things: first, the situation is not limited to Fordham. You'll be facing the same circumstances just about everywhere you go...and this should factor into where you're applying. Really push for schools where you think you might get money - if that's possible.
Second, keep in mind that we will be facing a different economy. Maybe not drastically different, but hopefully not quite as dire as the one in which we are currently mired.
Also, if you really love Fordham and this is really worrying you, why not call the admissions office and ask if you can come in and talk to someone about it? I know people have posted here that they've done similar things - couldn't hurt to ask!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”