Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goosey

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Another plausible theory: they are securing their median and waitlisting people they want but a-prob won't attend or b-are below their medians, and that once the median has been established (ie. They have admitted x amount of people over a certain score), they will use the "hollistic approach" for the rest of the class.

I'm not sure what the case is, but I am abt to start prepping for February to either a-get off a waitlist or b-ask for a reconsideration of denial.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 pm

goosey wrote:Another plausible theory: they are securing their median and waitlisting people they want but a-prob won't attend or b-are below their medians, and that once the median has been established (ie. They have admitted x amount of people over a certain score), they will use the "hollistic approach" for the rest of the class.

I'm not sure what the case is, but I am abt to start prepping for February to either a-get off a waitlist or b-ask for a reconsideration of denial.

Goosey, I honestly believe that they DO have a "holistic approach" to putting together the 2 classes (FT/PT). As I've said before, maybe I'm naive... but this is one of the things that drew me to Fordham in the first place (I had heard about their way of putting together a cohesive class) - so I'm good with it. (Going CRAZY... but good with it!)

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
goosey wrote:Another plausible theory: they are securing their median and waitlisting people they want but a-prob won't attend or b-are below their medians, and that once the median has been established (ie. They have admitted x amount of people over a certain score), they will use the "hollistic approach" for the rest of the class.

Goosey, I honestly believe that they DO have a "holistic approach" to putting together the 2 classes (FT/PT). As I've said before, maybe I'm naive... but this is one of the things that drew me to Fordham in the first place (I had heard about their way of putting together a cohesive class) - so I'm good with it. (Going CRAZY... but good with it!)

I agree. I am pretty impressed, to be honest.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:26 pm

goosey wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I agree. I am pretty impressed, to be honest.

Are you applying FT or PT?

Delinquent

Postby Delinquent » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Any of the waitlisted splitters care to comment on how holistic their application is? Softs? WE? etc?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Delinquent wrote:Any of the waitlisted splitters care to comment on how holistic their application is? Softs? WE? etc?

Personally, I wasn't referring to the individual applications: I was referring to the practice of putting together a Class, as a Whole - with different backgrounds, experience, etc - not just a set of numbers.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:43 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

I feel like I'm getting redundant here but I'll post it one more time...

An admissions officer at Fordham in a one-on-one, face-to-face meeting asked me my numbers. They're 165/3.52. I was immediately told that the odds were almost certain I would be put on their waitlist if I applied to their FT program. I brought up having an EE degree and work experience, and was told flat out (i think this is an exact quote) "unfortunately we're unable to consider a 3.5 from an engineering program to be any stronger than one from a liberal arts program." Without saying too much, my WE is quite good and gives me a huge leg up in finding a high-paying legal position over those without it. We discussed the issue of being below both medians. Even if that's marginally the case, I was almost guaranteed that a waitlist will be the outcome.

I took this as a direct admission that holistic admissions doesn't exist 99.9% of the time at the Fordham admissions office. I'm not sure how else to take it. This conversation actually completely changed my application strategy to every school I was applying to. If Fordham was anymore holistic than any other school then it would be extremely difficult to explain their LSN graphs over the last 3 years, as well as the increase in numbers over the last 3 years. Other than hopeful idealism, is there any reason why you've been lead to believe that Fordham applies a holistic policy?

Edit: I'm sorry, I read back over this and it sounds slightly condescending. For me, it was simultaneously eye-opening and really disappointing. But it is what it is... I'm just trying to provide helpful information. Good luck to all of you guys waitlisted... the other thing we discussed were odds/strategy in being admitted off the waitlist and I was lead to believe the odds are very high.

nymets123

Postby nymets123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:54 pm

tram988 wrote:
nymets123 wrote:IN AT FORDHAM PT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg

163/3.45

its my top choice. Ill probably be attending!

YAY! Welcome. I'm a PTer as well :D.

thanks tram! you think you will most likely attend?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 pm

tesoro wrote:... the other thing we discussed were odds/strategy in being admitted off the waitlist and I was lead to believe the odds are very high.

THIS is what I was talking about. Fordham has traditionally used the wait list as a holding pool and your numbers would definitely fall into the traditional pattern for WL, FT. However, they also traditionally draw deeply from that pool when putting together the meat of their class. I guess I would have seen your meeting as extremely positive (your WE and specific degree don't make you a "better" candidate for Fordham than the (oft mentioned) tug boat captain) but perhaps that's because I am coming from a liberal arts background w/WE in the fine arts. So I'm happy that they think we are equals!
I love that they were honest with you and gave you the chance to structure your application, accordingly.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:53 pm

I wish I could go talk to them (mostly because it sounds fascinating); too bad I work FT and can't take off.

Although I wonder what they'd do to me if they laughed a a 3.52 :lol: .

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Have any waitlisters gotten official (non-status checker) notification of your status?

clem21

Postby clem21 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Congrats to the new acceptees and NYGrrl, you know good news is coming. I can feel it...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 pm

clem21 wrote:Congrats to the new acceptees and NYGrrl, you know good news is coming. I can feel it...

Clem!!! <3! I sure hope you're right!

clem21

Postby clem21 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:59 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
clem21 wrote:Congrats to the new acceptees and NYGrrl, you know good news is coming. I can feel it...

Clem!!! <3! I sure hope you're right!

Plus, we've now made it to 70 pages! How awesome are we?

Our time wasting skills are clearly unmatched. The Powers That Be at Fordham should be proud of the persistence shown here.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Nygrrrl is going to get the most amazing acceptance with a little note attached affirming her brilliance.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 pm

tram988 wrote:Nygrrrl is going to get the most amazing acceptance with a little note attached affirming her brilliance.

Do I know you??? Did I bake you cookies or do something especially nice for you, lately???
:oops: :mrgreen:
(gosh I just hope I get accepted!)

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I wish...not unless you mailed them to Boston :P

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
tram988 wrote:Nygrrrl is going to get the most amazing acceptance with a little note attached affirming her brilliance.

Do I know you??? Did I bake you cookies or do something especially nice for you, lately???

:shock: they all know how amazing you are, too!?!?!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Veritas wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

VERITAS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :oops: <3

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Veritas wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

VERITAS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :oops: <3

i'm pretty sure it's not a secret. we're all sitting around in tls-land twiddling our thumbs and waiting for nygrrrl to tell us she's in.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 am

ny grrl, part time. what about you?

I think anybody that posts on tls should automatically be granted admission. we are a dedicated bunch.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 am

umichgrad wrote:In today via e-mail!!! Just came a few minutes ago. Very personal and nice.

167/3.44, before you ask.

congrats!! FT or PT?

nymets123

Postby nymets123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 am

tons of good karma going towards nygrrrl as well as the few EA people still waiting. Tomorrows gonna bring good news im sure. I think at this point Fordhams mostly deciding between waitlists and acceptances for EA. and anyone making them think this hard will get in eventually regardless!

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am

AlanShore wrote:
umichgrad wrote:In today via e-mail!!! Just came a few minutes ago. Very personal and nice.

167/3.44, before you ask.

congrats!! FT or PT?

Thanks, FT!! I'm excited.

rquan1201

Postby rquan1201 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 am

aaah! just opened my email after finishing two final papers today and saw an acceptance from fordham, FT! 168/3.56. even though i have another paper due tomorrow, too excited to get any work done now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”