Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Burger in a can

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm

weebleswobble wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:For all those who were waitlisted (and possibly of interest to those who were denied): I don't know how often this has been brought up, but I stumbled across it just now:

http://members.lsac.org/Public/MainPage ... Page2.aspx

I am referring specifically to the trends for different kinds of applicants throughout the cycle. According to LSAC, URM applicants have statistically applied much later in the cycle, along with applicants over 25 years old. I wonder, since Fordham doesn't seem to be officially deferring anybody, if they are taking these trends under consideration?

That is, perhaps if you are an URM applicant or over 25, or both, Fordham waitlisted you because they know that there will be a lot more applicants later in the cycle who might share some of your desirable traits?

I could be wrong, and I'm definitely no expert, but this data at least appears to offer some kind of explanation for why URM applicants' cycles sometimes seem to take longer in general. Right?

well im only one person, but i am over 25 and was admitted 11/06. 169/3.5

i met with an admissions officer after i received my decision and specifically asked if she had seen a higher number of older (ouch) applicants and her response was a definitive "no." she did express surprise that there hasnt been a greater increase in apps to the part-time program.

I am also over 25 (not by much-still under 30, so idk if I count?). I was just presenting this as a possibility, and I guess I should have added the caveat that IF it applied at all, it would probably only really matter for more borderline candidates (like myself) Congratulations, by the way! :mrgreen:

weebleswobble

Postby weebleswobble » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:For all those who were waitlisted (and possibly of interest to those who were denied): I don't know how often this has been brought up, but I stumbled across it just now:

I am referring specifically to the trends for different kinds of applicants throughout the cycle. According to LSAC, URM applicants have statistically applied much later in the cycle, along with applicants over 25 years old. I wonder, since Fordham doesn't seem to be officially deferring anybody, if they are taking these trends under consideration?

That is, perhaps if you are an URM applicant or over 25, or both, Fordham waitlisted you because they know that there will be a lot more applicants later in the cycle who might share some of your desirable traits?

I could be wrong, and I'm definitely no expert, but this data at least appears to offer some kind of explanation for why URM applicants' cycles sometimes seem to take longer in general. Right?

i met with an admissions officer after i received my decision and specifically asked if she had seen a higher number of older (ouch) applicants and her response was a definitive "no." she did express surprise that there hasnt been a greater increase in apps to the part-time program.

I am also over 25 (not by much-still under 30, so idk if I count?). I was just presenting this as a possibility, and I guess I should have added the caveat that IF it applied at all, it would probably only really matter for more borderline candidates (like myself) Congratulations, by the way! :mrgreen:

thanks for the congrats!
i was surprised at how candid the admin officer was, she said that any school that doesnt say that lsat/gpa is the major determining factor in admissions is simply lying. i agree that they are trying to make a run at the rankings after the fall last year and are looking to benefit from the (probably) over-saturated cls & nyu pools this year. the thought that they are hoping some waitlist ppl will consider PT is interesting... they perhaps didnt carefully consider that this isnt a viable option for many ppl though.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

weebleswobble wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:

thanks for the congrats!
i was surprised at how candid the admin officer was, she said that any school that doesnt say that lsat/gpa is the major determining factor in admissions is simply lying. i agree that they are trying to make a run at the rankings after the fall last year and are looking to benefit from the (probably) over-saturated cls & nyu pools this year. the thought that they are hoping some waitlist ppl will consider PT is interesting... they perhaps didnt carefully consider that this isnt a viable option for many ppl though.

Yeah, as a non-New Yorker, the idea of spending an entire extra year paying for the cost of living in NYC without a real job to support myself is just not really an option. I understand that it's possible, but it's terrifying to me. I can definitely see how it would be attractive to people who are already living and working in New York, and I guess that's who it's designed for.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:01 pm

i thought it was pretty easy to switch from pt to ft after one year?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:20 pm

AlanShore wrote:i thought it was pretty easy to switch from pt to ft after one year?

To my knowledge it is.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Oh. :oops:

vsg211

Postby vsg211 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:47 pm

tate033

Postby tate033 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:06 am

Last edited by tate033 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fsr2

Postby fsr2 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:27 am

dude, i was complete 11/16 and haven't heard anything else! ugh.

fedex77

Postby fedex77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 am

I did not send any LOR's, and was admitted on 11/18 for the PT program. LOR's are not mandatory for Fordham.

fedex77

Postby fedex77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 am

fedex77 wrote:I did not send any LOR's, and was admitted on 11/18 for the PT program. LOR's are not mandatory for Fordham.

...this was in reference to gotribe1's question about LOR's at Fordham.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:26 am

Hey, Fedex! Congratulations!!!
Would you mind posting your numbers? I'm a PT candidate still waiting to hear, trying to
get a feel for what the PT medians will be.

fedex77

Postby fedex77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 am

nygrrrl wrote:Hey, Fedex! Congratulations!!!
Would you mind posting your numbers? I'm a PT candidate still waiting to hear, trying to

Thanks. I did post my numbers a while ago -
167/ 4.0, M.S. Mech. eng
6 yrs w.e, Professional Engineer -PT

Good luck! it should be anytime now!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:47 am

fedex77 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Hey, Fedex! Congratulations!!!

Thanks. I did post my numbers a while ago -
167/ 4.0, M.S. Mech. eng
6 yrs w.e, Professional Engineer -PT

Good luck! it should be anytime now!

LOL - thanks much - as long as I'm still in the running, I'm happy! And your numbers are fantastic - no wonder they snapped you up. Good for you!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 am

All you EDers who haven't heard yet, tomorrow is the day, no? Good Luck!

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am

Happy Monday to all still waiting to hear! I believe good things will come on this chilly December morn!

I am still trying to figure out if jumping to PT is right for me, ultimately I think I need to talk with an admissions person and explain my situation re: work, school, finances, and such and get a handle on my options.

Until then, Cardozo application awaits my final review....

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:31 am

RubyDoomsday wrote:Happy Monday to all still waiting to hear! I believe good things will come on this chilly December morn!

I am still trying to figure out if jumping to PT is right for me, ultimately I think I need to talk with an admissions person and explain my situation re: work, school, finances, and such and get a handle on my options.

Fordham has the most helpful admissions office i've ever spoken to. They're unwaveringly frank though, so they may very bluntly tell you things you don't want to hear (personally I found it refreshing). If you're in NY, definitely schedule an appointment to better understand where you are.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

denied with a 163/no GPA (due to a foreign undergrad). predictable but still disappointing. am in at iowa though which is ranked 4 places higher than fordham. irritating.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 pm

webbylu87 wrote:denied with a 163/no GPA (due to a foreign undergrad). predictable but still disappointing. am in at iowa though which is ranked 4 places higher than fordham. irritating.

:| I'm sorry about Fordham... but congrats on Iowa! That's huge.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:15 pm

tesoro wrote:
RubyDoomsday wrote:Happy Monday to all still waiting to hear! I believe good things will come on this chilly December morn!

Fordham has the most helpful admissions office i've ever spoken to. They're unwaveringly frank though, so they may very bluntly tell you things you don't want to hear (personally I found it refreshing). If you're in NY, definitely schedule an appointment to better understand where you are.

what do you mean "understand where you are"? Will they tell you about your chances, etc?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm

AlanShore wrote:
tesoro wrote:

what do you mean "understand where you are"? Will they tell you about your chances, etc?

My experience was a direct comment on my chances. They'll tell you about anything you need to know without misleading you with any icing on top. The meeting directly led to my applying to their PT program off the bat. We also had very frank and grim discussions on job prospects, including how current students are faring.

A meeting is useful if you have relevant questions. The admissions officer will not even let you share your name or background to ensure that nothing you say will contribute at all to your application or chances. So if you go to their office, make sure you have a purpose in doing so or you're wasting your time.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 pm

tesoro wrote:
My experience was a direct comment on my chances. They'll tell you about anything you need to know without misleading you with any icing on top. The meeting directly led to my applying to their PT program off the bat. We also had very frank and grim discussions on job prospects, including how current students are faring.

A meeting is useful if you have relevant questions. The admissions officer will not even let you share your name or background to ensure that nothing you say will contribute at all to your application or chances. So if you go to their office, make sure you have a purpose in doing so or you're wasting your time.

This is great advice.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:31 pm

tesoro wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
tesoro wrote:

got it. thanks. this was helpful.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:59 pm

quote="tesoro"]
A meeting is useful if you have relevant questions. The admissions officer will not even let you share your name or background to ensure that nothing you say will contribute at all to your application or chances. So if you go to their office, make sure you have a purpose in doing so or you're wasting your time.[/quote]

Wow. So you went to the office and met with someone, but that someone wouldn't let you share any personally identifying information with them?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Has everyone else that met with an admissions rep found this to be the case? Wouldn't they have to know your name if you set up an appointment? Or did you just show up one day?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”