Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Burger in a can

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:39 pm

goosey wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:ALL the same places? :D Great minds think alike.

haha yes. but you are getting in rather quickly and I am not.
I'm retaking in february if I dont get into Fordham.

Well I'm rooting for you, along with pretty much everyone else on this thread! :mrgreen: Come on Fordham- just be nice to ONE deserving person!!!

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:44 pm

bighead715 wrote:
pikalove wrote:
dakatz wrote:I wrote a really heartfelt, genuine, and specific "Why Fordham" statement, combined with my stats (167, 3.5x URM), and I still didn't get in (I was WL'ed). So it obviously makes absolutely no difference.

^ This is actually ridiculous. Who does Fordham think it is this year?? Those stats have a fair chance up to CCN, but they got a WL from Fordham? Things are a-changing at Fordham this year!!

a run at the rankings?

yeah i think so too. but even if they do improve a little the people they have WL on this thread should get in regardless. no one goes from 166 median to 168..

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:59 pm

AlanShore wrote:
bighead715 wrote:
pikalove wrote:
dakatz wrote:I wrote a really heartfelt, genuine, and specific "Why Fordham" statement, combined with my stats (167, 3.5x URM), and I still didn't get in (I was WL'ed). So it obviously makes absolutely no difference.

^ This is actually ridiculous. Who does Fordham think it is this year?? Those stats have a fair chance up to CCN, but they got a WL from Fordham? Things are a-changing at Fordham this year!!

a run at the rankings?

yeah i think so too. but even if they do improve a little the people they have WL on this thread should get in regardless. no one goes from 166 median to 168..

I think Fordham is in a tough position here because the people with the numbers they want are probably looking to go to Columbia or NYU, no? Although with all the new applicants this year, they may get to take those higher numbers because there are just so many. It will be interesting to see. Hopefully for those already in, the ranking will increase, making their accomplishment all the more impressive.

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 pm

AlanShore wrote:
mps wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster...

Congratulations to everyone who got in!! I must say reading this board is really freaking me out. Oh, Fordham, why are you doing this to us?

Am thinking of adding a "why Fordham" essay to my file, I wonder if that will actually make any difference.

+1.. any thoughts on this? is it too early?

A well-written "why Fordham" essay can't hurt! Good luck!

How would you go about sending it though? Just mail it to them and ask them to include it in your application? Doesn't it also depend on what stage you are in their decision process? (Just curious-- because I'm thinking of sending a diversity statement to another school.)
Last edited by je_ne_regrette_rien on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boss

Postby boss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm still at EAC 11/2. Is Fordham waiting until the 15th to give me a decision?

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
goosey wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:ALL the same places? :D Great minds think alike.

haha yes. but you are getting in rather quickly and I am not.
I'm retaking in february if I dont get into Fordham.

Well I'm rooting for you, along with pretty much everyone else on this thread! :mrgreen: Come on Fordham- just be nice to ONE deserving person!!!

thanks!! :)

if i get in, im totally having pizzas delivered to fordhams admission office that day with a giant "THANK YOU!!!" written on it w olives haha

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:20 pm

For all those who were waitlisted (and possibly of interest to those who were denied): I don't know how often this has been brought up, but I stumbled across it just now:

http://members.lsac.org/Public/MainPage ... Page2.aspx

I am referring specifically to the trends for different kinds of applicants throughout the cycle. According to LSAC, URM applicants have statistically applied much later in the cycle, along with applicants over 25 years old. I wonder, since Fordham doesn't seem to be officially deferring anybody, if they are taking these trends under consideration?

That is, perhaps if you are an URM applicant or over 25, or both, Fordham waitlisted you because they know that there will be a lot more applicants later in the cycle who might share some of your desirable traits?

I could be wrong, and I'm definitely no expert, but this data at least appears to offer some kind of explanation for why URM applicants' cycles sometimes seem to take longer in general. Right?
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:28 pm

y

dms87

Postby dms87 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:29 pm

boss wrote:I'm still at EAC 11/2. Is Fordham waiting until the 15th to give me a decision?

Apparently, and frustratingly, yes (this is coming from someone in the same boat).

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:10 pm

AlanShore wrote: :( sorry. don't you have fairly high numbers? god these rejections, WL are ridiculous

Was a splitter - lower GPA because of the classic miserable freshman year, but near 4.0s since then...guess they didn't go for it. Wrote a damn good personal statement about it too. I applied to PT.

goosey wrote:sorry :(

snail mail?

I assume so - I checked my status checker for the 1st time ever today and it said that on 12/8 they had denied me. Guess there's a letter coming in the mail.

nygrrrl wrote:I am so, so sorry to hear this. I've been hoping for you since the very beginning.
:(

Yeah it's a bummer but what can you do. Haven't checked this thread really...did you hear anything yet?? I'm routing for you!

Burger in a can wrote:+1. Sorry to hear that, NJ914. Fordham is so weird this cycle! I'm glad I bit the bullet and withdrew from the waitlist.

Yeah seems pretty strict. Oh well. I visited Fordham a couple months ago, OS and silenziatori took me all around the campus...absolutely loved it. Time to get drunk!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:40 pm

NJ914 wrote: Haven't checked this thread really...did you hear anything yet?? I'm routing for you!

Nope! I am floating in limbo. Was complete as of 11/16, then last week was "In Review/Recommendation Received" for a few days (which, it was decided, meant nothing) and then back to complete.
I retook the LSAT the month, however, so maybe they're just sitting on my app until they see the new score.
Hope so, anyway.
Thanks!

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Good luck! I took the Dec. test but I guess they didn't even want to wait for the results haha. I hope you get in!!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:00 pm

NJ914 wrote:Good luck! I took the Dec. test but I guess they didn't even want to wait for the results haha. I hope you get in!!

Well now THAT's interesting.... :shock:
did you check off on your application that you were taking the December test?
I really expected to be WL'd off the bat, so this limbo is making me a little
nervous...

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Yep, checked off that I was taking the Dec. test. Who knows.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 pm

I don't know what to make of it.
At this point, I'm getting nervous about opening my status checker...
but I figure no news is good news.
What's your first choice, at this point?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 pm

has anyone here visited and can tell me about their impression of the campus/ location/ vibe?

Also, can anyone comment on the career opportunities?

I am thinking of just going for Fordham (hopefully with nice scholly) and in my mind putting an end to this terrible waiting game. At this point, I'm not even sure I would like to go to the higher ranked schools I applied to, if admitted. NYC>>> any other city IMO

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Hey all,

So here is a thought: Do you think Fordham is waitlisting so many people with good stats in hopes that some of us pull our WL and apply PT and raise those medians???

Especially those of us working and living in NYC?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 am

RubyDoomsday wrote:Hey all,

So here is a thought: Do you think Fordham is waitlisting so many people with good stats in hopes that some of us pull our WL and apply PT and raise those medians???

Especially those of us working and living in NYC?

I highly doubt it. I mean, wouldn't that just lead to a huge chunk of the PT class immediately applying to transfer to the FT program? Somehow, that doesn't seem productive, long-term.

I think that all of the people being WL'd are still completely viable
candidates and will make up a large part of the entering class. I really believe that they are a little bit strapped for time and are immediately WL'ing any candidate that is Possible But Not an Autoadmit/Reject.

Have you thought more about this? Any way you can hang on for Fordham until spring?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 am

dms87 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:In via e-mail...168/3.92

Congrats!

.....wait, did you get the e-mail today, on a Saturday?

Friday night EST, I am 8 hours ahead so it was Saturday when I got it.

js87

Postby js87 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 am

SanBun wrote:has anyone here visited and can tell me about their impression of the campus/ location/ vibe?

Also, can anyone comment on the career opportunities?

I am thinking of just going for Fordham (hopefully with nice scholly) and in my mind putting an end to this terrible waiting game. At this point, I'm not even sure I would like to go to the higher ranked schools I applied to, if admitted. NYC>>> any other city IMO

I can't really comment on the career opportunities firsthand, but Fordham Law is very well regarded in the NY area. Obviously in the NY market you're competing with much of the east coast T-14, but outside of that I think Fordham has the best placement in NY. I hate using the "in this economy" caveat, but things may be somewhat more difficult now.

As far as the location goes: I love NYC. Fordham's campus is arguably in one of the best parts of the city. The upper west side is beautiful, residential, and a little quieter than much of the rest of Manhattan but you're a short subway ride away from anything. Fordham is next to Lincoln Center, two blocks from Columbus circle (The CNN studio is located there), and two blocks from central park. It's an amazing location.

I feel like OperaSoprano now, haha :P

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:05 pm

PT Program: 3.3/163 Non-URM

Complete 12/1, Waitlisted 12/11...

Not upset. Didn't have recommendations ready (and still don't) so sent in app without them. Was expecting a rejection to be honest.

I figure I'll ask them to reconsider my app with my recs when they're ready.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Denied via status checker on 12/08. Not surprised, it was a super reach for me. I hope you all with more realistic numbers receive acceptances.

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:21 pm

nygrrrl wrote:What's your first choice, at this point?

Bklyn/Dozo. Long as I get into either...I'll be a happy guy. Fordham was #1 choice by far but I wasn't expecting to get in. Applied to only NYC schools...definitely want to work there after school.

mps

Postby mps » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:PT Program: 3.3/163 Non-URM

Complete 12/1, Waitlisted 12/11...

Not upset. Didn't have recommendations ready (and still don't) so sent in app without them. Was expecting a rejection to be honest.

I figure I'll ask them to reconsider my app with my recs when they're ready.

oph your stats are pretty close to my own. went complete around same time, for same program.

While the dean said LoR aren't highly valued and it's important to apply early, I have reasons to believe people on the adcomm *do* like reading the letters. Find some way to tell them your app wasn't entirely complete and submit the LoR... Good luck!

weebleswobble

Postby weebleswobble » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Burger in a can wrote:For all those who were waitlisted (and possibly of interest to those who were denied): I don't know how often this has been brought up, but I stumbled across it just now:

http://members.lsac.org/Public/MainPage ... Page2.aspx

I am referring specifically to the trends for different kinds of applicants throughout the cycle. According to LSAC, URM applicants have statistically applied much later in the cycle, along with applicants over 25 years old. I wonder, since Fordham doesn't seem to be officially deferring anybody, if they are taking these trends under consideration?

That is, perhaps if you are an URM applicant or over 25, or both, Fordham waitlisted you because they know that there will be a lot more applicants later in the cycle who might share some of your desirable traits?

I could be wrong, and I'm definitely no expert, but this data at least appears to offer some kind of explanation for why URM applicants' cycles sometimes seem to take longer in general. Right?

well im only one person, but i am over 25 and was admitted 11/06. 169/3.5

i met with an admissions officer after i received my decision and specifically asked if she had seen a higher number of older (ouch) applicants and her response was a definitive "no." she did express surprise that there hasnt been a greater increase in apps to the part-time program.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”