Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

beebs wrote:Damn, all. Rough news today. Does Fordham not know it's almost Christmas?

I am starting to fear checking the status checker...
:shock:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby AlanShore » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

RubyDoomsday wrote:WL.....been crying for the past hour because it means I cannot go to Fordham. Once again, I will need to put a seat deposit in at SCU before they will even consider the waitlist.

Going to still have some of the alums I work with call the admissions office tomorrow....that should go well, considering they were pretty sure based upon the work I do at the firm that I should get in.

Oh well, tomorrow applictation for Cardozo goes in....watch, they'll reject me at this rate.

I'm really sorry Ruby. your numbers are great. Fordham is really nuts this year. You don't want to wait out the WL? I really think you'll get in

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby texaspecial88 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Who else is still complete 11/2 with no news???

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 pm

beebs wrote:Damn, all. Rough news today. Does Fordham not know it's almost Christmas?


Fordham thinks it's too cool for Christmas. 8)

User avatar
RubyDoomsday
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby RubyDoomsday » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 pm

beebs wrote:Damn, all. Rough news today. Does Fordham not know it's almost Christmas?


Apparently not for some of us....for some of us law school is just not meant to be.

Ho ho ho.....(insert sarcastic, gallows humor comment at will)

User avatar
beebs
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby beebs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
beebs wrote:Damn, all. Rough news today. Does Fordham not know it's almost Christmas?


Fordham thinks it's too cool for Christmas. 8)


Not going to lie, Fordham is pretty cool.

EDIT: Except for today.

User avatar
RubyDoomsday
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby RubyDoomsday » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 pm

AlanShore wrote:
RubyDoomsday wrote:WL.....been crying for the past hour because it means I cannot go to Fordham. Once again, I will need to put a seat deposit in at SCU before they will even consider the waitlist.

Going to still have some of the alums I work with call the admissions office tomorrow....that should go well, considering they were pretty sure based upon the work I do at the firm that I should get in.

Oh well, tomorrow applictation for Cardozo goes in....watch, they'll reject me at this rate.

I'm really sorry Ruby. your numbers are great. Fordham is really nuts this year. You don't want to wait out the WL? I really think you'll get in


I would like to, I would, but I cannot afford to put down a seat deposit at a school and lose it. I'm not that well off.

Also, SCU is a whole country away, I would need to have my sublet in place by April, lease signed, everything. I plan on detailing this is a nice letter to Fordham asking them if they can give me a straight answer about the Waitlist. If I can get off it, I will turn down my acceptance to SCU, but if they do not think I will get off, then I guess I leave my city behind and settle for something else.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby AlanShore » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 am

RubyDoomsday wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
RubyDoomsday wrote:WL.....been crying for the past hour because it means I cannot go to Fordham. Once again, I will need to put a seat deposit in at SCU before they will even consider the waitlist.

Going to still have some of the alums I work with call the admissions office tomorrow....that should go well, considering they were pretty sure based upon the work I do at the firm that I should get in.

Oh well, tomorrow applictation for Cardozo goes in....watch, they'll reject me at this rate.

I'm really sorry Ruby. your numbers are great. Fordham is really nuts this year. You don't want to wait out the WL? I really think you'll get in


I would like to, I would, but I cannot afford to put down a seat deposit at a school and lose it. I'm not that well off.

Also, SCU is a whole country away, I would need to have my sublet in place by April, lease signed, everything. I plan on detailing this is a nice letter to Fordham asking them if they can give me a straight answer about the Waitlist. If I can get off it, I will turn down my acceptance to SCU, but if they do not think I will get off, then I guess I leave my city behind and settle for something else.

:( I'm really sorry. The cost of law school (apps, seat deposits, then of course tuition, etc) is so ridiculous.

The adcomms seem nice and I think they will at least give you a listen.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:02 am

It's bad and it's hard, and I know exactly how it feels. I'm not going to lie. I begged Fordham to let me in just days before I had another seat deposit to make (Northeastern wanted money on May 1st, and I didn't have $500 to forfeit.) Technically, you can still withdraw after the first seat deposit, you are just out the money. Lots of people do this when they get their dream acceptances at the end of the summer, and it's a shitty system, but worth it to many.

I got into Cardozo four days before Fordham, which bought me an extra twelve days. I was in communication again, and I said I didn't want to inconvenience my second choice school. I really didn't have money lying around (I think Cardozo wanted $1,000, but I know it was at least $500.) I had the Fordham deposit money set aside for months, in the vain hope that I would ever get to use it. Everyone else I knew with my numbers had been admitted months before. I was sure it was personal, and I spent the last weeks of April doing a horrible job at work, and wandering around the city wondering when I would have to say goodbye.

I had sent a letter in which I asked to be admitted by May 1st, and if it was a coincidence, it was the strangest of my life.

Keep holding on. Oh god, I have finals in four days. I'm still shocked Fordham would reject a 164/3.3. Those were almost exactly my numbers, and they were waitlist numbers last year. The competition must be insane.

fsr2
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby fsr2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am

Hey, who has been complete since 11/16 and gotten no word yet? I'm getting worried....

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby danidancer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 am

RubyDoomsday wrote:WL.....been crying for the past hour because it means I cannot go to Fordham. Once again, I will need to put a seat deposit in at SCU before they will even consider the waitlist.

Going to still have some of the alums I work with call the admissions office tomorrow....that should go well, considering they were pretty sure based upon the work I do at the firm that I should get in.

Oh well, tomorrow applictation for Cardozo goes in....watch, they'll reject me at this rate.


Oh no! I'm so sorry Ruby! :( :( :( :(

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby AlanShore » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 am

fsr2 wrote:Hey, who has been complete since 11/16 and gotten no word yet? I'm getting worried....

me but i wasnt EA either

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 am

fsr2 wrote:Hey, who has been complete since 11/16 and gotten no word yet? I'm getting worried....


FYI, I was complete on 11/16, but not EA, and was waitlisted on 12/7.

fsr2
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby fsr2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am

Burger in a can wrote:
fsr2 wrote:Hey, who has been complete since 11/16 and gotten no word yet? I'm getting worried....


FYI, I was complete on 11/16, but not EA, and was waitlisted on 12/7.


if you dont mind me asking, what were your stats? also did you apply FT or PT?

akw009
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby akw009 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 am

if you guys just got straight rejected im screwed. I should probably just quit life since I havetngotten my apps in yet

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 am

I was complete as of 11/2 (FT, 167, 3.5x URM) and WL'ed. I'm gonna quickly get them a LOCI but I'm not doing any last second waiting in April or May. I want things winding down at that point as I come to a decision. The process should be ending around then, not heating up. In the end, I think this is a blessing in disguise, because if I had gotten in and taken on the nearly 70K per year of expenses, I'd be putting myself in crushing debt for decades. Hopefully this was god's way of waving his finger in my face and leading me away from making a dumb decision that would financially crush me for a long time.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am

Three things:

1. @Ruby: I know a deposit may seem like a lot of money, but remember that you only lose it if you get in and go to Fordham. You'll surely be able to get loans once you get into whatever law school, so I wouldn't let the deposit make you get off the wait list prematurely. Beg, borrow, or steal the 2nd deposit if you get into Fordham and really want to go. Plus, if you stay on the WL you can always turn Fordham down.

2. If I am correct, Fordham's ranking in USNWR dropped last year because of part-time numbers (not pure conjecture here, but I'm on thin ice with my facts). Could they be trying to really improve their numbers for the rankings? I could see them trying to take better candidates. I think others have said that many unemployed people in NY who can't get into CLS or NYU may apply to and choose Fordham. Sorry if this creates doom and gloom, but it could be happening.

3. The LSN graphs from last year and this year don't seem remarkably different yet. Just a thought. I was expecting the WL since that's what last year's LSN seemed to indicate. I was right in my prediction.

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby dms87 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:39 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Current Status: Your application is complete
Current Status Date: 11/16/2009
Decision Status: Unfortunately, you have been denied
Decision Status Date: 12/10/2009


bummer


Damn, sorry buddy.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:43 am

fsr2 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
fsr2 wrote:Hey, who has been complete since 11/16 and gotten no word yet? I'm getting worried....


FYI, I was complete on 11/16, but not EA, and was waitlisted on 12/7.


if you dont mind me asking, what were your stats? also did you apply FT or PT?


Full Time. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/burgerinacan

User avatar
beebs
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby beebs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:44 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Could they be trying to really improve their numbers for the rankings?

Heard this verbatim from a friend who is a 3L. Fordham loves to game.

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby dms87 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 am

I submitted EA on 11/1, complete on 11/2. Still no word. > both 75ths, but I'm still super anxious, not to mentioned stunned at some of these waitlists/rejections.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:48 am

beebs wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Could they be trying to really improve their numbers for the rankings?

Heard this verbatim from a friend who is a 3L. Fordham loves to game.


Yeah, maybe they're thinking, "NYC needs a third T14..." Hmmm... I feel like I've read that somewhere before...

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 am

-deleted because I sounded like an ass-
Last edited by Burger in a can on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 am

Hey all,

First, my condolences go out to anybody denied admission.

Second, those waitlisted shouldn't count themselves out, but rather should hold cautious optimism toward their chances at being admitted in April/May. NYC is extremely expensive. A lot of excited candidates apply and think they're going to go, but when doing a cost/benefit analysis in late March/early April find themselves forced to withdraw because the numbers just don't make sense for them. This frees up a LOT of seats (almost verbatim from an admissions officer to me one-on-one). Don't get me wrong. this is NOT a deferral to be re-evaluated later. The point is, much moreso than any other T1 law school, prohibitive cost forces students to withdraw and consequently opens up a LOT of seats.

Also, given the competitive Fordham medians, as the summer drags on a significant number of seats typically open because students are often pulled off of lower T14 waitlists and withdraw.

So, to those of you who have lost all hope, I advise you to plan on another school that you would be happy with, but to nonetheless stay in the running and hang on to a few shreds of optimism. I hope to see you there next year.

Good luck to all.

(edited for grammar and spelling)

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 am

tesoro wrote:Hey all,

First, my condolences go out to anybody denied admission.

Second, those waitlisted shouldn't count themselves out, but rather should hold cautious optimism toward their chances at being admitted in April/May. NYC is extremely expensive. A lot of excited candidates apply and think they're going to go, but when doing a cost/benefit analysis in late March/early April find themselves forced to withdraw because the numbers just don't make sense for them. This frees up a LOT of seats (almost verbatim from an admissions officer to me one-on-one). Don't get me wrong. this is NOT a deferral to be re-evaluated later. The point is, much moreso than any other T1 law school, prohibitive cost forces students to withdraw and consequently opens up a LOT of seats.

Also, given the competitive Fordham medians, as the summer drags on a significant number of seats typically open because students are often pulled off of lower T14 waitlists and withdraw.

So, to those of you who have lost all hope, I advise you to plan on another school that you would be happy with, but to nonetheless stay in the running and hang on to a few shreds of optimism. I hope to see you there next year.

Good luck to all.

(edited for grammar and spelling)


Correct. I held hands with someone who had already moved here when she did the cost benefit analysis and realized she had to return home to her state school, which would have been almost free. There were tears involved, and I didn't envy her at all.

Fordham uses its waitlist like none other. My roommate, and most of my friends here were waitlist admits, some as late as July and August. I sometimes think Fordham had more WL/IN people than straight admits. In some ways, it makes sense, because it makes for a very devoted and grateful class. There is no one happier to be anywhere than someone who had to wait six months for it. Not that makes it suck one iota less. :(

To the waitlisted: Don't give up hope. We'll see you on the other side.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, Baby Gaga, bloomsday, lawnerd87, piesandcookies, ThorB, zihua and 13 guests