Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unadilla Kayaker

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:01 am

Adding to the crowd:
Submitted: 10/26
Complete: 11/2
Wait Listed: 12/7

166/3.29

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:03 am

tesoro wrote:To everyone waitlisted:

I visited with a Fordham admissions officer right before the cycle started. Originally I was planning on applying FT and I was told that my numbers will likely land me on the waitlist (I applied PT instead and avoided this mess). The admissions officer told me that last year they dug VERY DEEP into their waitlist and that being waitlisted shouldn't be too discouraging. The most common reason people withdrew outside of picking a higher ranked institution was financial issues that made them unable to afford the school.

The admissions officer very strongly recommended to e-mail them relevant updates as the cycle continued should I end up on the waitlist. The officer said that people whose names the officer remembers in a positive light are people whose files the officer might be more inclined to gravitate toward as seats open up.

Hope this helps, good luck-

Robin I don't know if you saw this post a few pages ago but it should calm your fears about the WL being a soft reject.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 am

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:51 am

Submitted 10/18/09
Complete 10/19/09
Still at complete on status checker
definitely nervous and anxious as Fordham is my top choice, at least what i hoped to be my realistic top choice.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 am

Oban wrote:Submitted 10/18/09
Complete 10/19/09
Still at complete on status checker
definitely nervous and anxious as Fordham is my top choice, at least what i hoped to be my realistic top choice.

Just checked out your profile. That 120 LSAT might hurt your chances, but the 4.0 is definitely a plus. :P

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 am

So... wonder what will happen, today.
:shock:

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:54 am

So, I'm still complete as of 11/3. I haven't had a chance to read back through the whole thread...what's been happening? Are they accepting yet or just waitlist/reject?

beebs

Postby beebs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 am

blhoward2 wrote:So, I'm still complete as of 11/3. I haven't had a chance to read back through the whole thread...what's been happening? Are they accepting yet or just waitlist/reject?

Take a look at LSN, lots of WLs yesterday, very few acceptances. Don't think there were any rejects.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:19 am

What Beebs said.
And also, it appears they've started working through the second wave of applications (those complete as of 11/16)

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 am

Lots of speculation on this forum - allow me to add my own.

You have this quote floating around: "The admissions officer told me that last year they dug VERY DEEP into their waitlist and that being waitlisted shouldn't be too discouraging. The most common reason people withdrew outside of picking a higher ranked institution was financial issues that made them unable to afford the school." You also have a lot of evidence that Fordham is accepting a lot of students with numbers well above their 75% percentile GPA and LSAT scores. So, it seems that the school accepts a lot of very-to-overly-qualified candidates who decide to attend other schools. This forces them to pull generously from their waitlist. Therefore, if you're on the waitlist, you're still in the game.

As for yield protection, it doesn't appear that it's a factor. I'm not an expert on how yield affects a school's ranking, but Fordham appears to have a low yield percentage anyway. Not sure if this means that they accept too many overly-qualified candidates in an effort to raise their medians and ranking, or if they just don't care about that statistic. Either way, there's not much else we can do except be supportive and write some LOCIs.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:48 am

Good Morning all. Let's hope for a better day than yesterday. I hope everyone enjoyed last night's Festivus episode as much as I did. I must have seen that one about 100 times and I still laugh out loud throughout the whole thing. Classic.

I posted this last night, but I'll it again for those who may have missed it in hopes that it will keep things a little more positive on here today:

The Dean hated applications! The whole admissions season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be that his head wasn't screwed on quite right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that the 1L class size was about 500 TLSers too small.

But,
Whatever the reason,
His heart or his lips that were chapped,
He stood there in his office, hating those apps,
Staring down from his office with a sour, Deany frown
At the warm lighted windows in the upper west side part of town.
For he knew every person that sent in a file
Was not above Fordham's LSAT 75th percentile.

And what happened then...?
Well...on TLS they say
That Fordham's first year class
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute the Dean's heart didn't feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with acceptances through the bright morning light
And he brought those off the waitlist! And the food for the feast!
And he...

...HE HIMSELF...!
The Dean carved the roast beast!

dms87

Postby dms87 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:57 am

^ ^ Very enjoyable!

Did other EA submitters get an e-mail acknowledging their EA stats? I did not, and I submitted 11/1, went complete 11/2 and still have no decision.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:57 am

I applied to Fordham EA (171, 3.2) and now my status checker says "Your file has been waitlisted"... does that mean that I'm on the WL or that I'm deferred and they'll decide what to do with me later?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 am

Katerina wrote:I applied to Fordham EA (171, 3.2) and now my status checker says "Your file has been waitlisted"... does that mean that I'm on the WL or that I'm deferred and they'll decide what to do with me later?

It means you've been waitlisted, but there are differeing opinions on here as to what that means. It seems to me, at least, that it is essentially a deferral because based on most of the numbers, that's what makes the most sense. However no one here really has a clear answer, but with numbers like yours it would seem that they just want to get a look at the whole group before they make any real decisions. That is, of course, unless you are above the 75th on both LSAT and GPA.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 am

I'm going to be in New York for a few days before the Christmas holiday, so I might try to stop into the admissions office to get a better sense of what this waitlist decision means. I take it that no one who was waitlisted has received an email or a letter detailing what "waitlist" actually means?

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:20 am

rockthelaw wrote:I'm going to be in New York for a few days before the Christmas holiday, so I might try to stop into the admissions office to get a better sense of what this waitlist decision means. I take it that no one who was waitlisted has received an email or a letter detailing what "waitlist" actually means?

I think that is a wise, wise choice, especially since they will already be done with their EA deadline. I think any attempt to solict feedback before Dec 15th is bound to end in tears.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:23 am

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:24 am

bowie8285 wrote:has anyone who submitted AFTER the EA deadline been WL?

if not i would say WL=defer

I could be wrong, but I believe Burger in a Can was not EA and he was WL.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe Burger in a Can was not EA and he was WL.

You're correct, sir. I was Regular Decision and waitlisted. I applied 11/09, went complete 11/16.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 am

Well I don't know about all of you, but even with all the WL from yesterday, and the general confusion about what it means, I'm glad we're not in the same boat as those on the Georgetown thread. It's starting to get pretty crazy over there.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 am

I was non-EA and waitlisted.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm

sorry to barge in on the thread... but what are the chances for a 165/3.88 at Fordham? I am looking to apply in the next week or so... too late?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Well I don't know about all of you, but even with all the WL from yesterday, and the general confusion about what it means, I'm glad we're not in the same boat as those on the Georgetown thread. It's starting to get pretty crazy over there.

Care to summarize the situation for us?

beebs

Postby beebs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Neelio wrote:sorry to barge in on the thread... but what are the chances for a 165/3.88 at Fordham? I am looking to apply in the next week or so... too late?

Definitely not out of the question, give it a shot and join the madness!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

beef wellington wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Well I don't know about all of you, but even with all the WL from yesterday, and the general confusion about what it means, I'm glad we're not in the same boat as those on the Georgetown thread. It's starting to get pretty crazy over there.

Care to summarize the situation for us?

Well basically a ton of people got a DR 12/1 and no one has heard anything yet. People are organizing mass phone barages on the admissions office, flipping out cause no one gets the same answer from a rep, etc. Also the dean announced he was going to the UN on 12/2 so no one really knows what's happeneing down there.
Last edited by H. E. Pennypacker on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”