Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Gold

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

chutzpah wrote:when you're a poor student you can eat lots of beans and high fiber vegetables and other cheap filling foods. until then, enjoy mom's yummy food :)
she buys me yummy lean cuisines and healthy choices. they're a reasonable option, I think. not terrible for you at all. but I need to be HOT for law school.

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

on a completely unrelated subject, here's a gem for all you soon-to-be law students -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02154.html

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

chutzpah wrote:on a completely unrelated subject, here's a gem for all you soon-to-be law students -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02154.html
she's right. also, muscley.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:22 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:on a completely unrelated subject, here's a gem for all you soon-to-be law students -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02154.html
people like her annoy me. you're a stripper, you know what you're getting into. you don't like it, don't do it. cry me a river.

edit to say that i only skimmed the article because she was annoying me, but she doesn't require minimum wage because she gets tips, like a waitress. btw, she'd better watch out because i bet she didn't list those thousands of dollars in tips on her income tax statement.
Last edited by Kim617 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
people like her annoy me. you're a stripper, you know what you're getting into. you don't like it, don't do it. cry me a river.
well... I mean I think they should be being paid that minimum wage required for people who are tipped. what is it, 3.15?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
well... I mean I think they should be being paid that minimum wage required for people who are tipped. what is it, 3.15?
i don't think they should have to. they're giving her the platform to make thousands of dollars, and she's crying about not getting 3.15 an hour? i have no sympathy. i'm not saying legally they shouldn't, but i am saying that that law is to protect people who aren't making enough money to support themselves, not for those who are making $100,000/year.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote: well... I mean I think they should be being paid that minimum wage required for people who are tipped. what is it, 3.15?
i don't think they should have to. they're giving her the platform to make thousands of dollars, and she's crying about not getting 3.15 an hour? i have no sympathy. i'm not saying legally they shouldn't, but i am saying that that law is to protect people who aren't making enough money to support themselves, not for those who are making $100,000/year.
From my understanding she had to pay them if she didn't show up... if it was truly a cooperative that wouldn't be the case. it's reasonable to have to pay each group that helps her make her money, but she shouldn't owe them if she doesn't attend

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm

10K a year merit scholly in the mail today. I will definitely be visiting now.

I am still leaning Georgetown, but if I can get it up to 20K Fordham might leapfrog (lucky Kim has this decision I believe).

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:10K a year merit scholly in the mail today. I will definitely be visiting now.

I am still leaning Georgetown, but if I can get it up to 20K Fordham might leapfrog (lucky Kim has this decision I believe).

sigh .26 points and I would have been with you =(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:29 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Its $2.13. Restaurant workers in Flushing are having similar issues -- http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... __pay.html

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:10K a year merit scholly in the mail today. I will definitely be visiting now.

YAY! i hope mine's in my mailbox when i get home.

carlkenneth

Bronze

Post by carlkenneth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Hmm...Im sure she knew what she was getting herself into, but I still think she should be paid minimum wage. I'm guessing none of you have ever seen this documentary LinkRemoved.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:34 pm

hannah87 wrote:

I'm betting it will be, and maybe for 20K. Admission people seem to have liked you slightly more than me throughout this cycle; either because you are not a splitter like me, or because you are not boring like me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:37 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote: well... I mean I think they should be being paid that minimum wage required for people who are tipped. what is it, 3.15?
From my understanding she had to pay them if she didn't show up... if it was truly a cooperative that wouldn't be the case. it's reasonable to have to pay each group that helps her make her money, but she shouldn't owe them if she doesn't attend
i just hate frivolous law suits. she had to pay 80 bucks, not worth wasting the court's time IMO.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

I'm betting it will be, and maybe for 20K. Admission people seem to have liked you slightly more than me throughout this cycle; either because you are not a splitter like me, or because you are not boring like me.
i think being boring really hurt me (i'm talking to you NYU). i'm a roman catholic italian girl from new york, we're a dime a dozen lol

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

i'm still leaning georgetown too. i think i'll make my decision once i go to ASW. i think visiting is the best way to make a final decision.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
i just hate frivolous law suits. she had to pay 80 bucks, not worth wasting the court's time IMO.
They'll probably settle out of court, or do one of those watchamacallem short ones.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote: i don't think they should have to. they're giving her the platform to make thousands of dollars, and she's crying about not getting 3.15 an hour? i have no sympathy. i'm not saying legally they shouldn't, but i am saying that that law is to protect people who aren't making enough money to support themselves, not for those who are making $100,000/year.
They'll probably settle out of court, or do one of those watchamacallem short ones.
yeah, i'm just one of those anti-new deal people, so i'll never think she's right here. i think it's crap. i'm very free market lol

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
I'm with you on this. It's silly to fight when you're making that much money.

But the issue is whether you're an employee or an independent contractor. The club wants to have it both ways. Either they are employees, in which case, you have schedules and penalties for not showing up on time, etc. OR They are independent contractors, in which case you don't have to pay them a minimum wage or social security or worker's compensation. It seems like they're trying to have a hybrid that benefits the club the most.

One owner of a different club that was interviewed has the right idea. He says the dancers are just paying customers who can get on stage and pocket the cash they receive. No schedules, no penalties, no wages.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:53 pm

jl2032 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote: i don't think they should have to. they're giving her the platform to make thousands of dollars, and she's crying about not getting 3.15 an hour? i have no sympathy. i'm not saying legally they shouldn't, but i am saying that that law is to protect people who aren't making enough money to support themselves, not for those who are making $100,000/year.
I'm with you on this. It's silly to fight when you're making that much money.

But the issue is whether you're an employee or an independent contractor. The club wants to have it both ways. Either they are employees, in which case, you have schedules and penalties for not showing up on time, etc. OR They are independent contractors, in which case you don't have to pay them a minimum wage or social security or worker's compensation. It seems like they're trying to have a hybrid that benefits the club the most.

One owner of a different club that was interviewed has the right idea. He says the dancers are just paying customers who can get on stage and pocket the cash they receive. No schedules, no penalties, no wages.
like i said, i barely read it because it annoyed me lol i definitely agree with what you're saying here. it's kind of like this place i go to in the summer. the bartenders make so much money in tips that they have to pay the club for the right to work there. i think that unfortunately, if you choose to strip (not judging the profession at all, they make BANK), you're subject to the rules of the place you choose to work at. if you don't like the rules, you need to find another place to work.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm

mehhhh I can't believe how much work I have today. it just keeps piling on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:11 pm

sibley wrote:mehhhh I can't believe how much work I have today. it just keeps piling on.

Ditto. I had an impromptu meeting that went from 11 to almost 4. So, now I get to come back to my office to find a day's worth of stuff I can't do in the next two hours.

At least the day is going by super quickly.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Dinged today at Fordham Part Time. 3.84, 162 from a top public school. On LSP, it says I am an "admit". I was also rejected at UC Hastings which put me as a "strong consider".

LSP sucks.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Hm. Just got an email containing this:

"As a person of color, UDC-DCSL, the public law school of the Nation's Capital, is especially interested in your candidacy. The School of Law offers a diverse student body and a welcoming and supportive learning environment. We encourage you to submit your application; and, to allow you more time to prepare your application, we are extending the application deadline to April 15, 2010."

Which is super great, except I'm pretty sure that my Italian/Middle Eastern background does not qualify me as a "person of color." Anyone else get this?

Edit: Also, very poorly written with the dangling modifier. So strange.
Last edited by LaurenGayle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Dinged today at Fordham Part Time. 3.84, 162 from a top public school. On LSP, it says I am an "admit". I was also rejected at UC Hastings which put me as a "strong consider".

LSP sucks.
Wow. That's so weird. I'm getting scared now. What was your complete date?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”