Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SAE

Silver

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by SAE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Kim617 wrote:i know they don't really care. but what's true is true. if i was a URM my cycle would be very different.
Yea, I'm pretty sure mine would be, too.

The truth is that it may effed up on numerous levels and we can vent about it all day, but we'll just have to suck it up and live with it.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm at peace with it finally.

At this point in time, there shouldn't be a need for this URM business, but statistically there is. There's a reason why there are very few AA, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Native Americans in graduate school compared to the general population. It may be that they just don't want to go to law school, but if so, why not? If there's a systematic problem out there, then it should be found and resolved. Until then, all that the schools can do is enroll them (even with lower stats) to make up the difference.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:19 pm

SAE wrote:
Kim617 wrote:i know they don't really care. but what's true is true. if i was a URM my cycle would be very different.
Yea, I'm pretty sure mine would be, too.

The truth is that it may effed up on numerous levels and we can vent about it all day, but we'll just have to suck it up and live with it.
yeah, i'm not launching a crusade or anything. just saying.

nickerson

New

Post by nickerson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

WL via status checker today. Actually pretty happy--I thought with my LSAT I'd be dinged. Looking forward to getting more friendly with the admissions office. :wink:

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:In other words, does DNA make you a URM? Shouldn't life experiences matter more?
i personally don't think what race/color you are should matter at all. they should look at numbers, your personal statement, and your resume. i worked just as hard to get my grades and my score as anyone else. it didn't come easier for me because i'm not a URM. ridiculous.
On the aggregate, non-URMs do not have to work as hard as URMs primarily because of historical circumstance. Perpetual social access and opportunity denial to racial and ethnic minorities in particular created the racialized contemporary socioeconomic stats that exist today. Unfortunately, you and many others, presumably non-bigoted ORMs (if you will), who have little to nothing to do with the embedded racism in America, are negatively affected by it all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Kim617 wrote:
SAE wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:In other words, does DNA make you a URM? Shouldn't life experiences matter more?
i personally don't think what race/color you are should matter at all. they should look at numbers, your personal statement, and your resume. i worked just as hard to get my grades and my score as anyone else. it didn't come easier for me because i'm not a URM. ridiculous.
lol.. Try raising this point on the URM board. I'll tell you you won't be the first one. :mrgreen:
i know they don't really care. but what's true is true. if i was a URM my cycle would be very different.
I know I shouldn't be surprised to hear this coming from you. But seriously, what an ignorant statement to make.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Visiting tomorrow.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
SAE wrote:
Kim617 wrote: i personally don't think what race/color you are should matter at all. they should look at numbers, your personal statement, and your resume. i worked just as hard to get my grades and my score as anyone else. it didn't come easier for me because i'm not a URM. ridiculous.
lol.. Try raising this point on the URM board. I'll tell you you won't be the first one. :mrgreen:
i know they don't really care. but what's true is true. if i was a URM my cycle would be very different.
I know I shouldn't be surprised to hear this coming from you. But seriously, what an ignorant statement to make.
um coming from me? i wasn't trying to cause a problem. if i was a URM, it's very true that i'd get into certain schools with my numbers. how is that ignorant?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Please, for the sake of us all, don't turn this into an AA flame war...there are entire threads dedicated to that fascinating topic...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

beef wellington wrote:Image
lol.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

afghan007 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
On the aggregate, non-URMs do not have to work as hard as URMs primarily because of historical circumstance. Perpetual social access and opportunity denial to racial and ethnic minorities in particular created the racialized contemporary socioeconomic stats that exist today. Unfortunately, you and many others, presumably non-bigoted ORMs (if you will), who have little to nothing to do with the embedded racism in America, are negatively affected by it all.
that's really all i was saying. in my particular circumstance, not white people in general, i did not have it any easier. i just don't feel like race should even be on the application, this way everyone is equal. then, if you have certain circumstances, they belong in your diversity statement and can help you in that way.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:43 pm

starsong wrote:Please, for the sake of us all, don't turn this into an AA flame war...there are entire threads dedicated to that fascinating topic...
i really wasn't trying to. we were just chatting, before someone turned it into something else. we were joking about being jealous of our cousins/nephews.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Kim617 wrote:
starsong wrote:Please, for the sake of us all, don't turn this into an AA flame war...there are entire threads dedicated to that fascinating topic...
i really wasn't trying to. we were just chatting, before someone turned it into something else. we were joking about being jealous of our cousins/nephews.
we were absolutely joking. If I was URM I would of course take advantage of my status. We weren't trying to comment on it or create any sort of political debate. Anyone who had any sort of advantage would be nuts not to use it. Not using one's URM-ness would be like taking the LSAT twice then only reporting your lower score...

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 pm

sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
we were absolutely joking. If I was URM I would of course take advantage of my status. We weren't trying to comment on it or create any sort of political debate. Anyone who had any sort of advantage would be nuts not to use it. Not using one's URM-ness would be like taking the LSAT twice then only reporting your lower score...
:-) We can all agree on that one!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 pm

O geez. I go away for a few hours and I come back to find I am the catalyst for an AA debate. I know I have lower numbers than most of you still waiting. My sympathies and I hope everyone receives good news. Fwiw maybe like 1,000 mexican americans matriculate each year into law school out of 70+ thousand (actual numbers not on me- lsac.org will back me up). My lsat isn't that far off their median and apparently my expierences positively influenced my candidacy.

Anyway I am sure most of you are super stressed and hence the resentment of not being urm. I hope I meet some of you on saturday. Trust me , I'm not a dunce and fun to hang out with.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:O geez. I go away for a few hours and I come back to find I am the catalyst for an AA debate. I know I have lower numbers than most of you still waiting. My sympathies and I hope everyone receives good news. Fwiw maybe like 1,000 mexican americans matriculate each year into law school out of 70+ thousand (actual numbers not on me- lsac.org will back me up). My lsat isn't that far off their median and apparently my expierences positively influenced my candidacy.

Anyway I am sure most of you are super stressed and hence the resentment of not being urm. I hope I meet some of you on saturday. Trust me , I'm not a dunce and fun to hang out with.
I don't resent you! It would have helped if I was, not that I resent who it does help. You would be stupid not to emphasize that you are a URM with the way the system is. That's really all I was saying. No one is debating AA. We were just joking about the situation.

Is this going to be another one of the fashion comment fights? Because that's dumb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Kim617 wrote: that's really all i was saying. in my particular circumstance, not white people in general, i did not have it any easier. i just don't feel like race should even be on the application, this way everyone is equal. then, if you have certain circumstances, they belong in your diversity statement and can help you in that way.
Interesting! I do like the idea of 'flaunting' individual racial diversity exclusively through essay. One of the most important results of so-called affirmative action policies to be had is the awareness of historical racial inequalities and subsequent improvement. A clear articulation by URMs of the social significance of their racial identity demonstrates concern and dedication more so than simply checking off a box.

But of course, law schools certainly could just reduce diversity statements into what is in place now.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Is this going to be another one of the fashion comment fights? Because that's dumb.
Maybe if you would stop saying dumb things there wouldn't be dumb fights about them.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm

beef wellington wrote:Image
LOL

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

So I'm going to sleep on it for a few days but I'm pretty sure I'm going to withdraw from fordham so hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you WL folks. Good Luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 pm

annnnnnnnnnnnnywayyyy, whoever is going to the ASW on saturday, can you please let me know how it goes? like what kinds of things they did, etc. thanks!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm

so... minority births are supposed to outweigh white births in 2010. does that make me an urm now? =) =)

...sorry kim. i couldn't comment on the admitted students event because I was waitlisted. hmph. hope you all have fun though!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

sibley wrote:so... minority births are supposed to outweigh white births in 2010. does that make me an urm now? =) =)

...sorry kim. i couldn't comment on the admitted students event because I was waitlisted. hmph. hope you all have fun though!
haha no i think you'll be an ORM (over represented minority) :wink:

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Kim617 wrote:
sibley wrote:so... minority births are supposed to outweigh white births in 2010. does that make me an urm now? =) =)

haha no i think you'll be an ORM (over represented minority) :wink:
oh my GOD I was totally going to edit my post to say that instead! we're like... meant to be. marry me? it's legal in dc now I hear =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”