Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
badpixie

Bronze

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by badpixie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:
oh I don't know. how nuts would I be if I listened to a song? and yesterday someone at work gave me advice that basically quoted that song Listen to your Heart by Roxette... but she meant the opposite. she meant "he's a boy. you're 22"... blah.
In the spirit of complete transparency, I applied to schools within a three state radius. Have I been planning on moving in with my boyfriend at the end of the summer the whole time? Yes. I couldn't have left him again (we were long distance for 9 months and it was awful). If this guy is worth it and you'd be miserable without him, that will translate into your ability to do well in law school far away.

And I am the least romantic person I know.
FWIW, I have applied to schools all over the country, and my partner will not be moving with me if I end up somewhere other than the NYC area. She'll be staying here in our house, and I will come home when I can. We decided that we'd rather deal with me living in grad student housing somewhere if the scholarships are big enough to make it worthwhile. Besides, I will be fully immersed in my studies most of the time, so it is not like we will have a lot of quality time together. I'll come home on weekends if it is close enough, or whenever I can if it is farther away. We would rather live like that for 3 years than take on $150-200K of student loans. For us, the decision is more about what is best of us long-term. But every person, and every couple, is different.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Guys - I made a huge decision tonight. I'm now 99% certain I'll be at Fordham next year! I'm extremely debt averse and I realized I'm just not comfortable taking on six-figures of debt - regardless of the name on the diploma or the potentially better opportunities. If I'm frugal, Fordham's merit and need-based aid should let me come in borrowing somewhere around $90K. Still a lot of money, but manageable and small enough that I will be able to sleep at night.

I'm currently riding 5 T14 waitlists/holds, and I still plan to ride these out and see what happens... However, I doubt I will end up attending any of them. If I am accepted, I expect I will get some need-based aid from most of them, but I don't think it will be nearly enough for me to feel comfortable. So unless a financial aid miracle (or a Columbia acceptance) comes through (the 1% variable), Fordham it will be.

I'm getting really excited now! It feels so amazing to have this process finally be over. :D
Last edited by danidancer on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 am

danidancer wrote:Guys - I made a huge decision tonight. I'm now 99% certain I'll be at Fordham next year!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 am

danidancer wrote:Guys - I made a huge decision tonight. I'm now 99% certain I'll be at Fordham next year! I'm extremely debt averse and I realized I'm just not comfortable taking on six-figures of debt - regardless of the name on the diploma or the potentially better opportunities. If I'm frugal, Fordham's merit and need-based aid should let me come in borrowing somewhere around $90K. Still a lot of money, but manageable and small enough that I will be able to sleep at night.

I'm currently riding 5 T14 waitlists/holds, and I still plan to ride these out and see what happens... However, I doubt I will end up attending any of them. If I am accepted, I expect I will get some need-based aid from most of them, but I don't think it will be nearly enough for me to feel comfortable. So unless a financial aid miracle (or a Columbia acceptance) comes through (the 1% variable), Fordham it will be.

I'm getting really excited now! It feels so amazing to have this process finally be over. :D
Congrats!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:29 am

danidancer wrote:Guys - I made a huge decision tonight. I'm now 99% certain I'll be at Fordham next year! I'm extremely debt averse and I realized I'm just not comfortable taking on six-figures of debt - regardless of the name on the diploma or the potentially better opportunities. If I'm frugal, Fordham's merit and need-based aid should let me come in borrowing somewhere around $90K. Still a lot of money, but manageable and small enough that I will be able to sleep at night.

Congrats! Welcome to the class!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:48 am

Sadly I will be withdrawing from Fordham. The merit aid package I got wasn't much--I'd be looking at loans for almost the full amount of COA.

Good luck to the rest of you!

law.schools.2010

New

Post by law.schools.2010 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:15 am

For the people that have withdrew from Fordham...how did you do it? Email? (if so, what address did you send it to)

Also, how long does it take them to let you know that you have received merit money?

Thanks...

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am

I love Mondays.

Work's slow, who has an interesting story about the weekend?

I love being 24 and still getting an easter basket from my parents filled with Reese's and Cadbury eggs.

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am

Interesting weekend story: My girlfriend suffered the first curling-related injury ever recorded in the history of the sport.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 am

rockthelaw wrote:Interesting weekend story: My girlfriend suffered the first curling-related injury ever recorded in the history of the sport.
Wow. Is she ok?

Also, it was like 80ºF in the northeast, where was she that she was able to go curling?

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:49 am

even2flow wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Interesting weekend story: My girlfriend suffered the first curling-related injury ever recorded in the history of the sport.
Wow. Is she ok?

Also, it was like 80ºF in the northeast, where was she that she was able to go curling?
We went to a curling rink attached to a hockey rink not so far from where we live. She is OK, thankfully. Basically she ran over her finger with a curling rock, went to sit down and deal with the pain, and instead fainted from the pain. Hit her head on the ice and a curling rock. Basically, she looks like she got punched in the eye.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 am

rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:
Wow. Is she ok?

We went to a curling rink attached to a hockey rink not so far from where we live. She is OK, thankfully. Basically she ran over her finger with a curling rock, went to sit down and deal with the pain, and instead fainted from the pain. Hit her head on the ice and a curling rock. Basically, she looks like she got punched in the eye.
Yikes! Who would have thought curling was so dangerous. Maybe you guys should try something a little safer, like rugby...

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:
Wow. Is she ok?

Yikes! Who would have thought curling was so dangerous. Maybe you guys should try something a little safer, like rugby...
I keep trying to get her on the golf course, though based on this episode, she'll probably get hit with an errant shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 am

rockthelaw wrote:
I keep trying to get her on the golf course, though based on this episode, she'll probably get hit with an errant shot.
Just have her watch Caddyshack. If you don't want to spend you life on a golf course after seeing that movie, you never will.

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote: Just have her watch Caddyshack. If you don't want to spend you life on a golf course after seeing that movie, you never will.
I saw that and just wanted to be Chevy Chase. Then not so much for a while. Now that that's on Community I want to be him again.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 am

Hi all, sad to do this, but I'm withdrawing today. GW was just a better fit. Good luck to you all, you're surely the nicest thread on TLS!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 am

I don't think you'll get too many complaints about withdrawing - lots o waitlisters on here!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm

umichgrad wrote:Hi all, sad to do this, but I'm withdrawing today. GW was just a better fit. Good luck to you all, you're surely the nicest thread on TLS!
GW has become one of my top choices =D saw my financial aid package today. will you be at the event on Friday?
(of course, if Fordham lets me in... hardddd decision). I just have a ton less dissonance picking a school on the east coast. WashU is amazing and I love the ranking and the scholarship. But it's sooo far.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
even2flow wrote:
Wow. Is she ok?

funniest thing ever. did you tease her? it's okay to make fun of her as long as you also gave her cuddles.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

sibley wrote:
umichgrad wrote:Hi all, sad to do this, but I'm withdrawing today. GW was just a better fit. Good luck to you all, you're surely the nicest thread on TLS!
GW has become one of my top choices =D saw my financial aid package today. will you be at the event on Friday?
(of course, if Fordham lets me in... hardddd decision). I just have a ton less dissonance picking a school on the east coast. WashU is amazing and I love the ranking and the scholarship. But it's sooo far.
When it's further than a couple hours by car or train, what's the difference? A plane flight is a plane flight.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
sibley wrote:
When it's further than a couple hours by car or train, what's the difference? A plane flight is a plane flight.
Depending on location, the number and cost of flights can make a huge difference, along with the availability of direct flights.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm

badpixie wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Depending on location, the number and cost of flights can make a huge difference, along with the availability of direct flights.
yup. plus it's driveable. it's only like an hour and a half longer of a drive than it would be to the bf's house/+.5 for nyc from his school. and 3 hours between his house and dc... and midwest culture would be a bit of a shock to me... and I REALLY wanted a big city. will be checking out the employment prospects and the facilities before I make my final decision, of course. washu might end up being worth it =)

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:18 pm

sibley wrote:
badpixie wrote:Depending on location, the number and cost of flights can make a huge difference, along with the availability of direct flights.
yup. plus it's driveable. it's only like an hour and a half longer of a drive than it would be to the bf's house/+.5 for nyc from his school. and 3 hours between his house and dc... and midwest culture would be a bit of a shock to me... and I REALLY wanted a big city. will be checking out the employment prospects and the facilities before I make my final decision, of course. washu might end up being worth it =)
Credited, and credited. But this is St. Louis we're talking about, not Wyoming. I know 3 million in the metro area might not be the same as NY, but it's a far cry from the "midwestern culture" you might expect from a small town in Kansas or Iowa. Also, direct flights NY-St. Louis are not terribly difficult to find.

Not trying to sell WUSTL, just trying to introduce all angles to a difficult decision Sibley will have to make soon.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
sibley wrote:
badpixie wrote:Depending on location, the number and cost of flights can make a huge difference, along with the availability of direct flights.
Credited, and credited. But this is St. Louis we're talking about, not Wyoming. I know 3 million in the metro area might not be the same as NY, but it's a far cry from the "midwestern culture" you might expect from a small town in Kansas or Iowa. Also, direct flights NY-St. Louis are not terribly difficult to find.

Not trying to sell WUSTL, just trying to introduce all angles to a difficult decision Sibley will have to make soon.

NY to StL I'm sure is reasonable, but coming from Rochester it requires a layover, and it's pricey. It's got about 100k more people in the metro area than my current city does and I'm really looking for something big and convenient, you know? It's gorgeous so I'm considerng it. but I feel very meh about its location. there IS a bit of culture shock... sitting in on the class they were talking about kansas and ohio laws from the 1800s. anything I've heard of from that long ago or even recently it all NYS, maybe a litttleeee PA but only when it deals with interstate commerce.

(btw, I appreciate any and all advice! throw it at me. bury me in it.)

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Deposit sent.

Barring any waitlist miracles ill be in the city next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”