Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:33 pm

rockthelaw wrote:A current Fordham 1L in the PT program wrote on this forum a few pages ago and said that the PT kids are ranked with the FT kids. So, I assume that means that if you transfer to the full-time program and make up the two classes over the summer, your grades all carry over.
Ah yes, I remember that now. It would seem to follow that you keep your grades, as is.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:04 pm

rockthelaw wrote:A current Fordham 1L in the PT program wrote on this forum a few pages ago and said that the PT kids are ranked with the FT kids. So, I assume that means that if you transfer to the full-time program and make up the two classes over the summer, your grades all carry over.
It that's the case, PT seems to be the best of both worlds.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Wow! I leave for 1 day to get some work done... Thread explosion!!! First, SAE? The tar does NOT CHANGE. Not not not. I need my Up Flick Down. Please do not take this simple joy away from me. Thank you. Second, isn't it just 1 class that you have to take over the summer to go from PT to FT? Third.... Man, I really hope we get some movement this week. *sigh*

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Wow! I leave for 1 day to get some work done... Thread explosion!!! First, SAE? The tar does NOT CHANGE. Not not not. I need my Up Flick Down. Please do not take this simple joy away from me. Thank you. Second, isn't it just 1 class that you have to take over the summer to go from PT to FT? Third.... Man, I really hope we get some movement this week. *sigh*

I thought I read that these classes were like 5 credits a piece, so maybe. The letter says to graduate in 3 years, you have to do 2 summers, so maybe that's 2 classes behind FT, where 1 is needed to transition

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm

i'm 99% sure it's 2 classes during the day over the summer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:33 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:i'm 99% sure it's 2 classes during the day over the summer
It's two (six credits), but I'm pretty sure we can take them in the evening or concurrently with working/interning. I won't know my rank (as computed by the school) until this semester is over. Waiting is hard. I mean, you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but there is no getting used to the waiting. I honestly think it's even harder than studying and taking exams.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
SAE wrote:Quick question: when transferring from PT to FT, do you get to keep your GPA or do you start all over (with 2L and 3L classes weighted more heavily)?

Same at other schools?
That's an interesting question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself...
+ 1

I would like to think that a 4.0 GPA in PT is easier to acquire just because you have less credits, but To disgard it and start from scratch, is like suggesting that the program didn't carry any weight, which is another way of saying the program is inferior. Yikes! I don't know if any good school would be willing to make that argument (is there one out there that does this?) And if you look at it from the side of folks who keep their jobs, one could argue that they worked just as hard as a FT for their grades. So, my guess is that its weighted.
A 4.0 GPA is well nigh impossible to get at Fordham because of our lack of grade inflation. Last year, top 10% was 3.57. (Employers know, so it's our relative rank that matters). I believe our GPA transfers over, and I hope it does, because I gave up everything I had this fall to put into my schoolwork. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would've sacrificed my health in quite the way I did. I would've taken better care of my mind and my body, and tortured myself less. I didn't get a 4.0. I don't know if anyone in my program did. Even those of us who weren't working full time usually had internships or freelance work. Very few people did nothing but study, as far as I know. We all worked hard, and I don't feel like my GPA was any easier to come by-- I certainly was luckier than I deserved, but I put my entire life into this, even while interning, and I'm still trying to get my head around it. I don't know. I believe they let us keep it, and I hope so, because of what we all gave up to get here.

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
SAE wrote:Quick question: when transferring from PT to FT, do you get to keep your GPA or do you start all over (with 2L and 3L classes weighted more heavily)?

Same at other schools?
That's an interesting question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself...
+ 1

I would like to think that a 4.0 GPA in PT is easier to acquire just because you have less credits, but To disgard it and start from scratch, is like suggesting that the program didn't carry any weight, which is another way of saying the program is inferior. Yikes! I don't know if any good school would be willing to make that argument (is there one out there that does this?) And if you look at it from the side of folks who keep their jobs, one could argue that they worked just as hard as a FT for their grades. So, my guess is that its weighted.
A 4.0 GPA is well nigh impossible to get at Fordham because of our lack of grade inflation. Last year, top 10% was 3.57. (Employers know, so it's our relative rank that matters). I believe our GPA transfers over, and I hope it does, because I gave up everything I had this fall to put into my schoolwork. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would've sacrificed my health in quite the way I did. I would've taken better care of my mind and my body, and tortured myself less. I didn't get a 4.0. I don't know if anyone in my program did. Even those of us who weren't working full time usually had internships or freelance work. Very few people did nothing but study, as far as I know. We all worked hard, and I don't feel like my GPA was any easier to come by-- I certainly was luckier than I deserved, but I put my entire life into this, even while interning, and I'm still trying to get my head around it. I don't know. I believe they let us keep it, and I hope so, because of what we all gave up to get here.
Very interesting. Was it the level of competition or is this normal for you? I found myself acting the same way when I began grad school last year, and I'm learning that I perform much better when I'm happier. Im still working full-time of course, but I no longer giving work 100% admittedly (lots of vacation time taken). Do you think you would have been better off not working, if you had the choice?

and FWIW, I was just using a nice round number lol. I didn't mean to imply anything. Do you take PMs?

Edit: K, found the link. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=102628 have you seen this ?
Last edited by unknownscholar on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:29 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would've sacrificed my health in quite the way I did. I would've taken better care of my mind and my body, and tortured myself less.
It's funny - I was just talking with a friend who recently graduated from Chicago - she said the SAME thing. That it's so easy to get lost in the 1L year and forget/neglect to care for yourself on those other levels.
I think you're going to wind up top 10% of the class. Just my humble (slightly biased) opinion.... :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would've sacrificed my health in quite the way I did. I would've taken better care of my mind and my body, and tortured myself less.
It's funny - I was just talking with a friend who recently graduated from Chicago - she said the SAME thing. That it's so easy to get lost in the 1L year and forget/neglect to care for yourself on those other levels.
I think you're going to wind up top 10% of the class. Just my humble (slightly biased) opinion.... :mrgreen:
Thank you, my darling. I appreciate your confidence in me. I lost 15 lbs, and I can fit back into my runway samples. (I'm a good 10 lbs underweight for my body type, which is probably why I got sick.) I'm still really happy, though, and I know I did this to myself.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:41 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Thank you, my darling. I appreciate your confidence in me. I lost 15 lbs, and I can fit back into my runway samples. (I'm a good 10 lbs underweight for my body type, which is probably why I got sick.) I'm still really happy, though, and I know I did this to myself.
All the more reason for me to start baking more cookies...... :lol:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm

unknownscholar wrote: Very interesting. Was it the level of competition or is this normal for you? I found myself acting the same way when I began grad school last year, and I'm learning that I perform much better when I'm happier. Im still working full-time of course, but I no longer giving work 100% admittedly (lots of vacation time taken). Do you think you would have been better off not working, if you had the choice?

and FWIW, I was just using a nice round number lol. I didn't mean to imply anything. Do you take PMs?

Edit: K, found the link. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=102628 have you seen this ?
Yes, that thread was infamous. I don't know who it was, but definitely a day student by his/her number of classes.

In my case, it was about feeling that I had something to prove. I was a fashion merchandising major, and I was waitlisted for half of forever. You should know that not everyone behaves this way; in many ways, I am an anomaly and a departure from the general standard of law student behavior. When I finally saw my grades, I broke down completely, and sat there shaking in class. People kept asking if I was okay, as they knew transcripts had just been released. I was really happy, but at that point I really couldn't control my emotions, and I just hoped the professor wouldn't call on me.

The rest of my classmates did not act this way. People shared their private joys or sorrows, but no one else at Fordham reacted to the stress as visibly as I did. I have a few friends at other schools who also experienced this, but the norm is that most people are able to relax a lot more than I did. In spite of this, or maybe because of it, I would call my first semester at Fordham the defining experience of my life. Yes, really, even though I am infamous for abusing hyperbole.

I do take PMs, though I get more than a dozen a day, so my response time isn't always great.

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I'll pm you. Don't worry, if I can wait on fordham, I can wait on your response, too. april..may..june..july..august.. whatevs. As long as you get around to it. lol. :-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm

does anyone know what type of programs fordham offers for visitors? I'm trying to book flights to visit schools in NYC and when I try to look at visiting fordham it takes me to an admissions calendar that seems to be blank (and now the site's down when I try to visit)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Another day down...
Another day that we have survived.
Survival, ftw.
(Doing the best I can here, people. UP.... Flick..... Down... UP....Flick.... Down...)

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Hard to believe it's February already and that I sent my apps in almost 3 months ago. It can't last that much longer, right? RIGHT???

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:13 pm

so there is a chance I might be getting married in december of this year. I am wondering if thats a bad idea and if I should wait for the end of 1L to get married. it just seems like no time will be a good time until after Im done with law school. But I plan on staying pt so I can balance the new life + law school.

Part of me wants to just wait until summer...any thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
Good LORD this place is full of doomsayers desperate to overachieve, isn't it? I guess it makes some sense. But damn.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 pm

goosey wrote:so there is a chance I might be getting married in december of this year. I am wondering if thats a bad idea and if I should wait for the end of 1L to get married. it just seems like no time will be a good time until after Im done with law school. But I plan on staying pt so I can balance the new life + law school.

CONGRATS GOOSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you currently live with your SO? i dont think married live will be too different from your current life.. i dont think it really matters when you get married. what are you worried about in terms of married life? (except planning a big wedding if that is what you are planning to do?)

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm

td6624 wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:
Good LORD this place is full of doomsayers desperate to overachieve, isn't it? I guess it makes some sense. But damn.
I think it has more to do with the price to attend and the outrageous COL of NYC. At sticker, and even with basic accommodations, one could easily graduate $225k in debt.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Hard to believe it's February already and that I sent my apps in almost 3 months ago. It can't last that much longer, right? RIGHT???
:| :? :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 pm

AlanShore wrote:
goosey wrote:so there is a chance I might be getting married in december of this year. I am wondering if thats a bad idea and if I should wait for the end of 1L to get married. it just seems like no time will be a good time until after Im done with law school. But I plan on staying pt so I can balance the new life + law school.

CONGRATS GOOSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you currently live with your SO? i dont think married live will be too different from your current life.. i dont think it really matters when you get married. what are you worried about in terms of married life? (except planning a big wedding if that is what you are planning to do?)
Thanks!!!

We don't live together. I am just worried about my grades suffering because ill have more responsibilities. My fiance is awesome and wouldn't be annoying about home cooked meals, but I still wonder how the adjustment would be. Law School in and itself is a or change and then adding marriage onto that may be overwhelming--im basically just worried about how I will do when I have responsibilities other than my grades.

I was also told by a friend to be sure I have a totally separate study area. I am hoping pt would work out because then while he is at work I can be home studying. We wouldn't get much time together (from 10 pm till he leaves for work at
8 am) but I guess it is what it is. I also worry that 4 yrs of that would not be healthy for a new marriage. Complicated things.

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:19 am

Why not try living together for 1L and put the wedding on hold?

In the old school traditional sense, you're only aiming to do this marriage thing once, so why rush into it? I imagine the wedding is a big deal and it's not something you want to stress over putting together when you're stressing out about studying. That can cause all kinds of unnecessary frustration with the SO or with school and the such. Also, living together will give you a sample for married life without the paperwork, and can be a good chance to almost give it a test run.

Also, I'm a random dude from the internet, I know nothing of your relationship with the SO. I went through something kinda similar recently and it ended poorly, which is why reading that made me uncomfortable enough to say something. But to each their own, so you gotta do what makes you happy.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:22 am

Hi, Goosey! I've been hanging back, thinking about joining this discussion... as someone who IS married, I'm leaning toward what even2 suggests. Even if you guys are planning to elope, the few months before you get married are stressful in a kind of unique way (were for me, anyway, and most people I know who went through it.) Could you wait until the summer after 1L? I have some other thoughts I'm sort of formulating... more on this, later. And Congratulations, again!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

HAPPY TUESDAY, Party People!
The sun is shining (sort of), the birds are singing...
and we're still here!
Hooray!
(UP... flick....Dooowwn... UP..... flick....Dooooown... UP...)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”