Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 pm

sibley wrote: 2) I went to the whole foods near fordham (which I now refer to in my head as 'school,' by the way) and it was too busy for me. maybe if I got away from the main area and the foodstands it would be less so, though.
Hee hee hee!!!!! :mrgreen:
Ya, it gets really crowded. We're hoping for a Trader Joe's on 72nd and Broadway...

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote: I like this stuff..... --LinkRemoved--
Ooo! I have to look for that... Papa!

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm

sibley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
even2flow wrote:All natural peanut butter is not bad for you, has less hydrogenated oils and way less sugar. Plus - bonus: it tastes delicious.
Although I usually refer to it as "Whole Paycheck" and try to steer clear, I have become addicted to Whole Foods' grind-it-yourself peanut butter. I eat it with a spoon.
1) all natural is still very fatty! though the omega 3s are good, yes?

2) I went to the whole foods near fordham (which I now refer to in my head as 'school,' by the way) and it was too busy for me. maybe if I got away from the main area and the foodstands it would be less so, though.
Hah, you could tell me peanut butter was going to cause me to be sterile and I'd still eat it by the bucket. Some things aren't worth giving up. Also I figure years of riding a bike for hours upon hours at a time has done that trick already.

Also, get used to the masses, you're not gonna wanna go outta town just to get your shopping done. You'll get used to it, and eventually appreciate the people watching you can do while getting your food.

Camco

New

Post by Camco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello all!

I'm going to be visiting Fordham next week. Any thoughts on some good questions for admissions?

I've been complete since 12/29. Based this years trend, I'm kinda expecting a WL, but I'm not giving up hope on an acceptance!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 pm

even2flow wrote: Hah, you could tell me peanut butter was going to cause me to be sterile and I'd still eat it by the bucket. Some things aren't worth giving up. Also I figure years of riding a bike for hours upon hours at a time has done that trick already.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Camco wrote:Hello all!

I'm going to be visiting Fordham next week. Any thoughts on some good questions for admissions?

I've been complete since 12/29. Based this years trend, I'm kinda expecting a WL, but I'm not giving up hope on an acceptance!
Welcome to the Happy Thread! Papa Pennypacker is our Patriarch, I am the (self declared?) occasionally cranky Matriarch. Come on in! Sit down! Have a cookie!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

I want to know if the adcomm meets in the dorm fishbowl, and how often/when. You also could ask about fun stuff like study breaks. There appeared to be free cookies and brownies in the cafe when I visited. Wireless connectivity... when you'll hear by... if there's anything you can do to improve your chances...

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm

sibley wrote:

I want to know if the adcomm meets in the dorm fishbowl, and how often/when. You also could ask about fun stuff like study breaks. There appeared to be free cookies and brownies in the cafe when I visited. Wireless connectivity... when you'll hear by... if there's anything you can do to improve your chances...
i asked about study abroad, merit aid, my chances at admission, and when i could expect to hear.

Camco

New

Post by Camco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm hoping they don't make a decision before I visit so maybe I can sway them in the right direction...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

i asked about study abroad, merit aid, my chances at admission, and when i could expect to hear.
Hannah you raise a great point...how many of you would consider studying abroad? how is that viewed by potential employers?

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Just called the admissions office. Was told that a wave of December applicants should be hearing back from them soon (I'm guessing many of the complete on 12/29 crew). Hopefully I wasn't just told that just to pacify me and prevent me from asking any more questions lol

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Hannah you raise a great point...how many of you would consider studying abroad? how is that viewed by potential employers?
It would in no way benefit my potential employment aspects or even really help me academically with what I want to do - but I would do it in a heartbeat.

Didn't get to do it in undergrad because my major didn't allow it, and I'm still very bitter about it.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm

even2flow wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Hannah you raise a great point...how many of you would consider studying abroad? how is that viewed by potential employers?
It would in no way benefit my potential employment aspects or even really help me academically with what I want to do - but I would do it in a heartbeat.

Didn't get to do it in undergrad because my major didn't allow it, and I'm still very bitter about it.
I'm going to do it. I'll be splitting my summer so I can still intern, because legal WE is also important. I think this is the best of all possible worlds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm

even2flow wrote:

ditto and ditto

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:39 pm

even2flow wrote:

I, too, missed out on it during UG. I don't think it would necessarily help, I'm wondering if they frown upon it.

I'd really like to go back to Germany in the fall (fur Oktoberfest)

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm

strokes788 wrote:Just called the admissions office. Was told that a wave of December applicants should be hearing back from them soon (I'm guessing many of the complete on 12/29 crew). Hopefully I wasn't just told that just to pacify me and prevent me from asking any more questions lol
Thank you for a) bring proactive and b) sharing the news with the rest of us. Fingers crossed.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 pm

chutzpah wrote:
strokes788 wrote:Just called the admissions office. Was told that a wave of December applicants should be hearing back from them soon (I'm guessing many of the complete on 12/29 crew). Hopefully I wasn't just told that just to pacify me and prevent me from asking any more questions lol
Thank you for a) bring proactive and b) sharing the news with the rest of us. Fingers crossed.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Since everyone here seems to be very nice, I will ask you for some help with my dilemma. Just curious to see what you think. This is not yet related to Fordham, because Fordham has not yet let me know what happened to my application.

My dilemma is as follows: I received full tuition scholarship to Brooklyn Law School but I was also accepted to Columbia Law School with no scholarship. I know, obviously, the difference between the two schools. But I am not exactly interested in taking $150,000 in loans, particularly as I am not going to law school planning to become a corporate laywer, but would like to follow my heart and do public interest. (Seems my husband's income disqualifies me from most payments under LRAPs.) What do you think about going with the free ride? My heart breaks since I love Columbia, obviously. Brooklyn is a very nice school but it is hard to let go of Columbia, obviously. And I am not counting Fordham in yet because if I hear from them after my deposit at Brooklyn or CLS is due, then it is not an option.

Sorry for bugging this Fordham-exclusive thread with this, but I have followed this thread the most and like everyone here.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 pm

andreea7 wrote:Since everyone here seems to be very nice, I will ask you for some help with my dilemma. Just curious to see what you think. This is not yet related to Fordham, because Fordham has not yet let me know what happened to my application.

My dilemma is as follows: I received full tuition scholarship to Brooklyn Law School but I was also accepted to Columbia Law School with no scholarship. I know, obviously, the difference between the two schools. But I am not exactly interested in taking $150,000 in loans, particularly as I am not going to law school planning to become a corporate laywer, but would like to follow my heart and do public interest. (Seems my husband's income disqualifies me from most payments under LRAPs.) What do you think about going with the free ride? My heart breaks since I love Columbia, obviously. Brooklyn is a very nice school but it is hard to let go of Columbia, obviously. And I am not counting Fordham in yet because if I hear from them after my deposit at Brooklyn or CLS is due, then it is not an option.

Sorry for bugging this Fordham-exclusive thread with this, but I have followed this thread the most and like everyone here.
I'd see if you can get Fordham or Cardozo to give you full (Cardozo probably will, and maybe a stipend).... it's good to not have to take loans (but you still have to pay cost of living, remember), but I think you can do better than Brooklyn in the full-ride area.

tbd

New

Post by tbd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Applied in October, have yet to hear anything. I give up.

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm

andreea7 wrote:Since everyone here seems to be very nice, I will ask you for some help with my dilemma. Just curious to see what you think. This is not yet related to Fordham, because Fordham has not yet let me know what happened to my application.

facing similar situation. will PM you. I think it depends on what kind of PI work you want to do. Some positions -- DOJ honors, legal jobs at some popular PI organizations -- can be as competitive as biglaw and if you're going for a job like that, then Columbia may open more doors. However, if you want to be a prosecutor, I think BLS is a-ok.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Will PM you when I have a chance, but my instinct is to tell you to run to 116th St as fast as you possibly can, and with very good reason. I commend the school to you. (I have rather strong opinions on Fordham's neighbors and will let the others tell you their opinions as well.)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:57 pm

tbd wrote:Applied in October, have yet to hear anything. I give up.
Call them. Seriously. They are very kind and will tell you what's going on.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh, and Andreea?
CLS.
Beg, borrow, steal.
CLS.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm