Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Dean Pless,

There's no reason of course why I need to know this - I'm just curious. You mention all of the files that you have to review. Do you personally go over and ultimately make the decision on every application? Do you have other people read files and they make suggestions.... Or do others have the ability to ultimately say yes or no on the more obvious files? Are you the tie-breaker? Just curious about whether and how the workload is divided up. Again, this is not important information, just something that I'm very curious about.

I do the initial and only review of 90% of the files. There is one other person that reads files. I review those decisions before they are finalized. There is a committee that advises me on the qualities we look for. This committee will also review redacted files I select. Their opinions on these files help guide my decisions.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:08 am

Pless wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:Dean Pless,

There's no reason of course why I need to know this - I'm just curious. You mention all of the files that you have to review. Do you personally go over and ultimately make the decision on every application? Do you have other people read files and they make suggestions.... Or do others have the ability to ultimately say yes or no on the more obvious files? Are you the tie-breaker? Just curious about whether and how the workload is divided up. Again, this is not important information, just something that I'm very curious about.

I do the initial and only review of 90% of the files. There is one other person that reads files. I review those decisions before they are finalized. There is a committee that advises me on the qualities we look for. This committee will also review redacted files I select. Their opinions on these files help guide my decisions.

Thanks for the insight! You certainly do put a lot of work on your desk considering how easily you probably could pass this work off to others.

pepsi

Postby pepsi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I had a dream about U of I last night. This is clearly consuming my thoughts. Hopefully, we at least hear back in the morning tomorrow. I can't wait much longer. My sanity is waning.

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I just want a decision - Yes or NO. WL is the worst of all possible worlds.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Can't wait for this decision. The more I learn about this school and the international and comparative law program and human rights clinic and the city itself.... THE MORE I WANT IN!!

I feel so helpless right now, wish I could have done more to plead my case.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Hadn't been wanting to live in Champaign another 3 years but the more I think about it the more I actually want to! Need in! Also, anyone that has questions about the area, feel free to ask.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Chiglaw wrote:Hadn't been wanting to live in Champaign another 3 years but the more I think about it the more I actually want to! Need in! Also, anyone that has questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Compare it to South Bend. A friend of mine said Champain was a much better town and overall environment.

Im looking for something a little more substantive. I dont know if youve ever been to South Bend what are your feelings about the two in comparison?

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
Chiglaw wrote:Hadn't been wanting to live in Champaign another 3 years but the more I think about it the more I actually want to! Need in! Also, anyone that has questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Compare it to South Bend. A friend of mine said Champain was a much better town and overall environment.

Im looking for something a little more substantive. I dont know if youve ever been to South Bend what are your feelings about the two in comparison?

I'm sorry, but South Bend has got to be one of the most boring places in the world. Notre Dame courted me for undergrad. I went to their Admitted Student thing in the spring and it was all fun and dandy, but it was only because the student organizations/administration tried really hard to make it fun for us. No doubt, I enjoyed myself at the time, but the town itself was soooo dead. Life existed purely on campus. I didn't go to U of I but I've visited friends during college. In Champaign, there's at least SOME life outside of the immediate campus. Also, the campus is much larger than Notre Dame's (Student population is about 4 times the size so...) While both towns are only about 2 - 2.5 hours away from Chicago, I feel like it's easier to go to Chicago from Champaign (and more students do it) because the Metra runs that route. Obama's allocating some funds for updating Chicago's major intercity routes, too. :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

At Illinois, the campus itself is awesome. A ton of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, music venues, whatever you are interested in. Moving off campus, downtown Champaign is kind of a quaint, hip area with some trendier bars, restaurants, and shops. I think a lot of graduate students spend a bit more time down there. A little bit further west I believe is your typical college town chain store area, with a mall, Best Buy, Target, Meijer, Dick's Sporting Goods, movie theatres, Chili's, Lonestar, etc.

Is it downtown Chicago? No. But there is a lot to do and you easily forget the miles and miles of cornfields you pass on your way to campus.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm

traehekat wrote:At Illinois, the campus itself is awesome. A ton of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, music venues, whatever you are interested in. Moving off campus, downtown Champaign is kind of a quaint, hip area with some trendier bars, restaurants, and shops. I think a lot of graduate students spend a bit more time down there. A little bit further west I believe is your typical college town chain store area, with a mall, Best Buy, Target, Meijer, Dick's Sporting Goods, movie theatres, Chili's, Lonestar, etc.

Is it downtown Chicago? No. But there is a lot to do and you easily forget the miles and miles of cornfields you pass on your way to campus.

I'd describe the place as simple with enough diversity to keep you busy.

Also, people mention downtown champaign alot but I think there's a few underrated places in downtown Urbana that are worth checking visiting every once in awhile for a change of pace.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Are decisions made every week? When is the earliest January applicants will hear back?

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 pm

MF248 wrote:
traehekat wrote:At Illinois, the campus itself is awesome. A ton of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, music venues, whatever you are interested in. Moving off campus, downtown Champaign is kind of a quaint, hip area with some trendier bars, restaurants, and shops. I think a lot of graduate students spend a bit more time down there. A little bit further west I believe is your typical college town chain store area, with a mall, Best Buy, Target, Meijer, Dick's Sporting Goods, movie theatres, Chili's, Lonestar, etc.

I'd describe the place as simple with enough diversity to keep you busy.

Also, people mention downtown champaign alot but I think there's a few underrated places in downtown Urbana that are worth checking visiting every once in awhile for a change of pace.

It's been a blast as an undergrad. Plenty of options to go out and have a great time right near campus or quiet places to go and study. One of the things that I really love is being able to get anywhere by foot or bike and as a cyclist, the country roads right near by are fantastic for some great riding.

As a big school, a lot of the facilities are top notch. The new business instructional facility or pretty much the entire engineering campus has great places to study. Big financial troubles will probably mean that nothing else will be built for a while tho.

Two places I'd recommend checking out would be the Blind Pig in downtown Champaign and the Iron Post in Urbana. And if you want to see some tragic scenes of Freshman indulgence, go to Kam's.

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Also good for drinks: Crane Alley.

Awesome food: Bombay Indian food (massive naan and excellent curry dishes). Also good is Seven Saints in downtown Champaign. Unbelievable sliders (small sandwiches) and a huge liquor list (if that's your thing). Upscale Italian is available at Bacaro, it is really really good but should be limited to once a year if you are going to keep from going broke. If you like sushi, you can't beat a place called yellowfin on Neil street. It's a bit out of the way, but far and a way the best sushi you are going to get in central Illinois (although, this isn't saying a lot). I'm not a huge fan of Chinese food, but the campus is absolutely littered with them. Plenty of pizza places and endless sub shops (Jimmy Johns are everywhere). If you like Greek, Zorba's in campus town and Niro's gyros on Springfield ave in Urbana is awesome. Newest favorite restaurant in the area: Black Dog Brewery in downtown Urbana. Awesome brisket, pulled pork, and roast beef sandwiches plus some pretty good jalapeno corn bread and coleslaw. Also, if you are looking for a nice diner to get a sandwich, hamburger, shake, pie, or a phosphate, there is no better place than Currier Cafe. The owners of Currier Cafe also own a place called Silver Creek which is a little more upscale, but they have great American cuisine at a reasonable price.

There are lots of specialty grocery stores in the area too if you like to make your own food (The green onion, strawberry fields, world market). There are also some great places to get an EXCEPTIONAL selection of wine, spirits, and beer (The Corkscrew in downtown Urbana and friar tuck in savoy). Piccadilly's is your standard alcohol store, some with better selections than others, but they all carry the basics.

As far as entertainment, Krannert center for performing arts is exceptional for theatre, music, and other events. They do a weekly wine tasting on Thursdays, you should try it at the very least. As far as venues for music, there is plenty of places for local bands to play (the Red Herring, Cafe Paradiso, Canopy Club), but the University and star course do a good job bringing in some big names (Jay Z, Andrew Bird, Prince haha)

There is also an art theatre (http://www.thecuart.com/), it recently changed ownership but it seems like they are still going to be putting on some good films.

If you have any other questions, shoot. I think I've eaten everywhere and have not found myself wanting. Life in the CU is pretty great, you just have to put in the effort to find all the gems of the area.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 am

Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. The next batch of files into review will be everyone that went complete through 12/31/2009.

Good luck!

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am

WL

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:38 am

WL, 3.1, 166

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 am

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 am

Pless wrote:Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. The next batch of files into review will be everyone that went complete through 12/31/2009.

Good luck!

Thanks for allowing me to brace myself-- I left my gmail open in a side tab so I could see the inbox(1) before braving the decision. Even more, though, I appreciate the admission and unexpected scholarship! Very excited. Now I will definitely need to plan a visit...

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43 am

Dean Pless:

Is there any chance of scholarship money coming off the wait list or should we make our decision with sticker price in mind?

Thanks for your involvement on the forum this cycle.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 am

xanderdellus wrote:Dean Pless:

Is there any chance of scholarship money coming off the wait list or should we make our decision with sticker price in mind?

Thanks for your involvement on the forum this cycle.

Last year we were able to offer scholarships to people admitted off of the wait list.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am

In with $30k a year guaranteed. Totally ecstatic. Thanks Dean Pless.

Now it comes down to between South Bend and Illinois.

UIUC gives me more money and i hear the town is nicer... But how does Illinois national placement compare to ND? NDs name just holds so much water in my mind, am I imagining it.
Last edited by jbrowning82 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am

Pless wrote:Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. The next batch of files into review will be everyone that went complete through 12/31/2009.

Good luck!

Will decisions for this batch be released next Friday?

Thanks again for your openness regarding the review & admissions process.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 am

MF248 wrote:Will decisions for this batch be released next Friday?

Yes. We will do it this way until at least March 15.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:00 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Pless, thank you for coming on here and giving these updates. It really is great you and UIUC are taking the time to do this.

Also, when you get to those that submitted in mid-January, please don't yield protect the auto-admit (as far as numbers go) with strong ties to the midwest, specifically STL, MO. :wink:

Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”