Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mizzoutigers88

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby mizzoutigers88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Beatrice wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I am so impressed and refreshed by the application process at UIUC. It's transparent, efficient, and it seems so much more holistic than most of the schools I've applied to. I love knowing what is REALLY happening with my application and knowing that Dean Pless is sensitive to our plight.

+1

+infinity

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 pm

So, from what I've read on the admitted students forum, it's essentially impossible to become a resident of Illinois while in law school. Can anyone verify this?

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:10 pm

ec2xs wrote:So, from what I've read on the admitted students forum, it's essentially impossible to become a resident of Illinois while in law school. Can anyone verify this?

Dean Pless confirmed this a couple of months ago. He said that to become a resident one had to prove that they were living in the state for purposes other than study. The other option is to marry a resident of Illinois or have a parent that is a resident, (making you an automatic resident).
Last edited by jaskat on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm

jaskat wrote:
ec2xs wrote:So, from what I've read on the admitted students forum, it's essentially impossible to become a resident of Illinois while in law school. Can anyone verify this?

Dean Pless confirmed this a couple of months ago.

Thanks!

MF248

Postby MF248 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 pm

jaskat wrote:

Dean Pless confirmed this a couple of months ago. He said that to become a resident one had to prove that they were living in the state for purposes other than study. The other option is to marry a resident of Illinois or have a parent that is a resident, (making you an automatic resident).

I had a friend that had to take a year off of undergrad to earn his residency in Illinois for UIUC and earn X amount of income in the state of Illinois to prove his residency during that year. Although he did enjoy living in champaign for a year and not going to class, I doubt you'll want to do this for law school.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 am

jaskat wrote:

So if I marry someone there, I save money? Ok... Good deal.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 am

I'll play:

Complete ~1/4 after my Dec Retake. 168 3.87

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 am

So Dean Pless indicated that a larger group would be notified a week from today. Am I correct in understanding that this group will be everybody whose application went complete on or before December 16th?

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 am

UrbanAchievers wrote:So Dean Pless indicated that a larger group would be notified a week from today. Am I correct in understanding that this group will be everybody whose application went complete on or before December 16th?

You are correct.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 am

Do all the holds that get a decision today include those just placed on hold last week?

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am

Pless wrote:New files are moving into review. These will be files that were complete by December 16th and all applicants currently on Hold.

Paul

All applicants on hold as of Jan 15th...

chipotlaw

Postby chipotlaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:Do all the holds that get a decision today include those just placed on hold last week?

I think no decisions until next Friday. That was my understanding. I agree with previous poster about the transparency of the application process. I am blown away by Dean Pless and his interaction on this board. I have not been active in posts because all of my questions have been answered by reading previous posts, but I have to admit my impression of Illinois has only increased by reading this.

If Dean Pless is any indication of the Illinois Law program (which I'm sure he is,) I am really excited to hear next Friday my status, and have the chance to attend law school at Illinois.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 am

chipotlaw wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Do all the holds that get a decision today include those just placed on hold last week?

I think no decisions until next Friday. That was my understanding. I agree with previous poster about the transparency of the application process. I am blown away by Dean Pless and his interaction on this board. I have not been active in posts because all of my questions have been answered by reading previous posts, but I have to admit my impression of Illinois has only increased by reading this.

If Dean Pless is any indication of the Illinois Law program (which I'm sure he is,) I am really excited to hear next Friday my status, and have the chance to attend law school at Illinois.

Couldn't agree more (re: Dean Pless & Illinois). I went complete at the end of December so I'm crossing my fingers hoping that the admission committee will keep up the pace and render my decision by the middle of February. :)

eleemosynary

Postby eleemosynary » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:22 am

Did you all see this?

--LinkRemoved--

Will this affect the law school's tuition too?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

eleemosynary wrote:Did you all see this?

--LinkRemoved--

Would not surprise me, with the current state of Illinois' budget...

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:48 am

Beatrice wrote:
eleemosynary wrote:Did you all see this?

--LinkRemoved--

Would not surprise me, with the current state of Illinois' budget...

It has been indicated previously on this forum that a large majority of UIUC's budget is derived from private sources. The budget of the school, and the tuition it is forced to charge, is therefore largely insulated from the budget conditions of the state of Illinois.

bananasinpajamas

Postby bananasinpajamas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm

I think it's funny the first admitted students weekend (mar 5-6) falls on Unofficial. If you are not familiar or from UIUC, prepare to see lots of green and then some. haha

samer

Postby samer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 pm

bananasinpajamas wrote:I think it's funny the first admitted students weekend (mar 5-6) falls on Unofficial. If you are not familiar or from UIUC, prepare to see lots of green and then some. haha

Illinois has really been trying to kill Unofficial in recent years, though. They want to be known for their academics and not for their crazy awesome early St. PAtty's Day party. Should still be a good time, though

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 am

samer wrote:
bananasinpajamas wrote:I think it's funny the first admitted students weekend (mar 5-6) falls on Unofficial. If you are not familiar or from UIUC, prepare to see lots of green and then some. haha

Illinois has really been trying to kill Unofficial in recent years, though. They want to be known for their academics and not for their crazy awesome early St. PAtty's Day party. Should still be a good time, though

What exactly is Unofficial? I mean other than what you've already hinted above.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 am

Stephanie13 wrote:
samer wrote:

It has absolutely no purpose other than an opportunity for people to celebrate by wearing green and drinking everywhere. Some skip class, others go to class drunk. Just a crazy drunken debauchery across campus. I didn't go to U of I but have visited friends during Unofficial. Quite a bit of out-of-towners come in for it.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 am

jd-mba wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
samer wrote:

It has absolutely no purpose other than an opportunity for people to celebrate by wearing green and drinking everywhere. Some skip class, others go to class drunk. Just a crazy drunken debauchery across campus. I didn't go to U of I but have visited friends during Unofficial. Quite a bit of out-of-towners come in for it.

Very few people still go to class -- the university has cracked down on it to the point where it's too risky for people to try that crap. I thought it was a pretty dumb idea to try that in the first place.

It can be pretty crazy but most of the real obnoxious ones are people vising campus & not the actual students.

The law school isn't close to where most of the shenanigans occur anyways, so the actual law school visit shouldn't be impacted too much, but getting a feel for the campus & campustown as a whole will be a little impaired.

samer

Postby samer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

What exactly is Unofficial? I mean other than what you've already hinted above.[/quote]

Usually St. Patrick's Day is during Spring Break at U of I. Because of this, they throw an "Unofficial St. Patrick's Day" a few weeks before the real holiday so that the students can celebrate and party on campus. I don't go to U of I, but I'm from the Chicago area and my friends and I have been going to Unofficial since we were juniors in high school. Now, however, the school makes it increasingly hard for people, especially non-students, to partake in the "celebrations." Much like UW-Madison cracking down on the Halloween block party and Michigan trying to kill Hash Bash, Illinois is trying to focus their publicity on their academics and not on this party.

Hope that's a sufficient explanation of Unofficial.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks guys. Unofficial sounds pretty fun and actually I could see how it might add to the impression some people might get of UIUC during ASW, you know, for those who like to party haha.

crombot

Postby crombot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am

Stephanie13 wrote:Thanks guys. Unofficial sounds pretty fun and actually I could see how it might add to the impression some people might get of UIUC during ASW, you know, for those who like to party haha.

haha +1. I'm going to the March ASW, and it will be nice to see that there are festivities to partake in other than studying. Gotta love Big 10 cities!!!!!!

brickman

Postby brickman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 am

Are files that became "hold" on 1/15/10 due to have a decision this Friday?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”