Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bananasinpajamas
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby bananasinpajamas » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Pless wrote:
samer wrote:Dean Pless, any idea when the held applications will get their second look? I'm sending the request to update my transcripts on Monday and wanted to know if you would review them before this update. I was held on 12/3. Thanks in advance


My plan right now is for files on hold to go back into review on 1/22 with decisions out on 1/29.


Dean Pless, does this include those who initially applied ED but were rolled over into Regular admissions? Thanks so much again for answering all these questions!

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

bananasinpajamas wrote:
Pless wrote:
samer wrote:Dean Pless, any idea when the held applications will get their second look? I'm sending the request to update my transcripts on Monday and wanted to know if you would review them before this update. I was held on 12/3. Thanks in advance


My plan right now is for files on hold to go back into review on 1/22 with decisions out on 1/29.


Dean Pless, does this include those who initially applied ED but were rolled over into Regular admissions? Thanks so much again for answering all these questions!


I am hoping to do the ED apps the week before, but that might not be possible. It won't be any later than 1/22 - 1/29.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:17 pm

OK, so Dean Pless, this is kind of random but do I need to update my transcript if I only took one class this semester? I 4.0ed it but it only raised my GPA up 1/100th of a point, should I bother?

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:41 pm

robin600 wrote:OK, so Dean Pless, this is kind of random but do I need to update my transcript if I only took one class this semester? I 4.0ed it but it only raised my GPA up 1/100th of a point, should I bother?


There isn't any harm in doing so, but I can't imagine it making a difference.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:06 pm

OK Dean Pless. I am under review and in the next batch of decisions. I am willing to send you homemade cookies to seal the deal. Any preference?

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Did everybody write the optional 200-word mini-PS? Is it worth it? I don't know if I could say anything meaningful in 200 words that wasn't covered in the PS and might not want to cop out by listing info off the law school website.


I didn't write it.

Dean Pless says they don't YP so I took him at his word. In my app I explicitly state I'm aiming for the Chicago market and at the end of my PS I mention what makes Illinois stick out for me. I thought that was enough.


Hope this is true. I didn't write anything about why I would pick Illinois, I figured everyone would be hyped about U of I.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Did everybody write the optional 200-word mini-PS? Is it worth it? I don't know if I could say anything meaningful in 200 words that wasn't covered in the PS and might not want to cop out by listing info off the law school website.


I didn't write it.

Dean Pless says they don't YP so I took him at his word. In my app I explicitly state I'm aiming for the Chicago market and at the end of my PS I mention what makes Illinois stick out for me. I thought that was enough.


Hope this is true. I didn't write anything about why I would pick Illinois, I figured everyone would be hyped about U of I.

If you're on hold, I'd send it in

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Did everybody write the optional 200-word mini-PS? Is it worth it? I don't know if I could say anything meaningful in 200 words that wasn't covered in the PS and might not want to cop out by listing info off the law school website.


I didn't write it.

Dean Pless says they don't YP so I took him at his word. In my app I explicitly state I'm aiming for the Chicago market and at the end of my PS I mention what makes Illinois stick out for me. I thought that was enough.


Hope this is true. I didn't write anything about why I would pick Illinois, I figured everyone would be hyped about U of I.


I don't yield protect, ever. It never has made sense to me.

I think anytime you are applying to something that accepts only 25% of those that apply asks for something "optional", it makes sense to do it. That being said, I won't deny someone solely for not writing the optional essay.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Pless wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Did everybody write the optional 200-word mini-PS? Is it worth it? I don't know if I could say anything meaningful in 200 words that wasn't covered in the PS and might not want to cop out by listing info off the law school website.


I didn't write it.

Dean Pless says they don't YP so I took him at his word. In my app I explicitly state I'm aiming for the Chicago market and at the end of my PS I mention what makes Illinois stick out for me. I thought that was enough.


Hope this is true. I didn't write anything about why I would pick Illinois, I figured everyone would be hyped about U of I.


I don't yield protect, ever. It never has made sense to me.

I think anytime you are applying to something that accepts only 25% of those that apply asks for something "optional", it makes sense to do it. That being said, I won't deny someone solely for not writing the optional essay.


Now it doesn't sound as optional as it did before. At least now I know better and will definitely submit it with next years application. :cry:

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Panther7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I'll have it in in a day or two!

Just have mercy on my GPA/Packer fandom! :wink:
Last edited by Panther7 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Pless wrote:All state universities are having difficulties now. Private schools as well, with the reduction in the value of their endowments. Illinois is in the same boat, with the state owing us close to $400 mil. The College is in pretty good shape currently. Our finances are basically independent of the University and our budget has very little state money in it. We plan on adding to our faculty this year as well as expanding our clinics.


http://www.uillinois.edu/our/news/2010/ ... rlough.cfm

Dean Pless,

How does this recent plan impact the law school? I know you said the law school "budget has very little state money in it", but this sounds to me like it applies to most employees of the university. Will the hiring freeze prevent the law school from following through on the plan to add faculty this year? I believe you when you say the law school is in "pretty good shape," but as a prospective student it is difficult not to be troubled by this news, especially when the University President admits that “At some point we will be unable to meet payroll and complete the academic year unless there are significant payments from the state as promised" (though that sounds a bit extreme).

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby clint4law » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Dean P:
I assume you're still on schedule to release at least 240 decisions on Friday, right?
Thanks

sunnygirl
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 am

clint4law wrote:
Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Dean P:
I assume you're still on schedule to release at least 240 decisions on Friday, right?
Thanks


U R waiting for this batch as I do, isn't it? Anxious~~~

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:35 am

Geist13 wrote:http://www.uillinois.edu/our/news/2010/ ... rlough.cfm

Dean Pless,

How does this recent plan impact the law school? I know you said the law school "budget has very little state money in it", but this sounds to me like it applies to most employees of the university. Will the hiring freeze prevent the law school from following through on the plan to add faculty this year? I believe you when you say the law school is in "pretty good shape," but as a prospective student it is difficult not to be troubled by this news, especially when the University President admits that “At some point we will be unable to meet payroll and complete the academic year unless there are significant payments from the state as promised" (though that sounds a bit extreme).


I don't expect the furloughs to impact our students. It is basically a pay cut, it doesn't mean that I (or anyone else at the College) will do 4 days less work. The program put in place doesn't effect offers already made, so we still anticipate adding to our faculty this year.

This is politics. The day the University announced the furlough policy, the Governor announced that the University would start getting its funding in one month's time. The College is being aggressive in raising private dollars and in receiving federal grants. This is allowing us to not only maintain our programs for students, but adding programs. Uncertainty is always scary, but the College is still in a good position.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 am

clint4law wrote:
Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Dean P:
I assume you're still on schedule to release at least 240 decisions on Friday, right?
Thanks


It all depends on if I can get into the office tomorrow.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby clint4law » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Pless wrote:
clint4law wrote:
Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Dean P:
I assume you're still on schedule to release at least 240 decisions on Friday, right?
Thanks


It all depends on if I can get into the office tomorrow.


Which is why you should consider releasing the decisions this afternoon :D.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm

clint4law wrote:
Pless wrote:
clint4law wrote:
Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Dean P:
I assume you're still on schedule to release at least 240 decisions on Friday, right?
Thanks


It all depends on if I can get into the office tomorrow.


Which is why you should consider releasing the decisions this afternoon :D.


Nice try. Not in the office today either. Living in the country and 30 mph winds with 6in of snow does not make for safe commuting with a 2 year old. If decisions are delayed until Monday, I promise I will have more of them.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Dean Pless

My status is currently File Complete, Not in Review. I applied since 10/27/2009.
Applicants who sent their applications after mine, report going into review. Is everything ok with my app?

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:Dean Pless

My status is currently File Complete, Not in Review. I applied since 10/27/2009.
Applicants who sent their applications after mine, report going into review. Is everything ok with my app?


Really, I don't match up people online to applications. Really. If you email me I would be happy to check for you. Remember, it isn't when you applied, it is when the file went complete.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Pless wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:Dean Pless

My status is currently File Complete, Not in Review. I applied since 10/27/2009.
Applicants who sent their applications after mine, report going into review. Is everything ok with my app?


Really, I don't match up people online to applications. Really. If you email me I would be happy to check for you. Remember, it isn't when you applied, it is when the file went complete.


Thanks, I just emailed you.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sckon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Pless wrote:
Nice try. Not in the office today either. Living in the country and 30 mph winds with 6in of snow does not make for safe commuting with a 2 year old. If decisions are delayed until Monday, I promise I will have more of them.



Ill pick you up...
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 pm

sckon wrote:
Pless wrote:
Nice try. Not in the office today either. Living in the country and 30 mph winds with 6in of snow does not make for safe commuting with a 2 year old. If decisions are delayed until Monday, I promise I will have more of them.



Ill pick you up...
--ImageRemoved--


Done and done.

sunnygirl
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:34 am

Are things coming out today???? :D

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am

Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.


Today is the day! (Let us rejoice and be....glad? Please?)

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Zapatero » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 am

Let's not get our hopes up. The snow gods have descended.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests