Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sunnygirl

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Please don't leave me over~~~I want my file in review as well.......

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:44 am

erico wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Accepted with a scholarship of $10,000/year

166/3.29

Thanks Dean Pless! I think this is the most exciting acceptance for me so far!

Congrats to others who got in today. See some of you at an ASD!

Interesting...I have that same numbers. Did you do your little weasle laugh (Eric from Billy Madison) when you got in?

My numbers aren't the only thing in my application, I have softs too for what its worth.

And no, I didn't like Billy Madison that much and prefer a more refined Bradley Whitford (If you can call Josh Lyman refined).

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:35 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:
erico wrote:

166/3.29

Interesting...I have that same numbers. Did you do your little weasle laugh (Eric from Billy Madison) when you got in?

My numbers aren't the only thing in my application, I have softs too for what its worth.

And no, I didn't like Billy Madison that much and prefer a more refined Bradley Whitford (If you can call Josh Lyman refined).

Would you like to share those softs?

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:33 am

robin600 wrote:Would you like to share those softs?

PMed you Robin.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:43 am

Pless wrote:240 files moved to in review today. Decisions will come out on January 8th. These files are ones that were complete November 4 through November 13. If I am very productive over the next two weeks I may add more to this batch on January 4th, but no promises.

Very nice Dean Pless. I wish all admissions offices would be this forthright about their application review process. I may have missed that cut off date by a few days, but at least I know my application will be looked at in the order it was received. And its nice to know you are willing to discuss decisions if an applicant is distressed about an outcome. Who needs to obsess over status checkers when you have Dean Pless? Happy Holidays to everyone!

erico

Postby erico » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:08 pm

robin600 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:
erico wrote:

166/3.29

+1 pls. I don't know who this Bradley Whitford is and I'm not sure I intend to find out but nice work on getting UIUC.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:42 pm

robin600 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:
erico wrote:

166/3.29

crombot

Postby crombot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:22 pm

erico wrote:
+1 pls. I don't know who this Bradley Whitford is and I'm not sure I intend to find out but nice work on getting UIUC.

Bradley Whitford gave our class day speech in 2007....you aren't missing much.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:19 am

I don't know what Bradley Whitford is like in person, but I like the character Josh Lyman he played on The West Wing, which is where my avatar is from. Whitford also played Eric in Billy Madison.

Erico I PMed you.

And finally, though I didn't care for Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore was good and I enjoy most of Adam Sandler's other work.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:06 am

Hey Pless

I was driving through southern Illinois the other day, and heard a radio story about the state of Illinois owing SIU like 17 million dollars, and the university being on the verge of having to shut down before they got a last minute payment. Should this be even remotely disturbing for those of us considering attending a public law school in Illinois? I am not trying to be negative, just seeking a little reassurance.

Thanks

D

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:56 pm

TruckerD wrote:Hey Pless

I was driving through southern Illinois the other day, and heard a radio story about the state of Illinois owing SIU like 17 million dollars, and the university being on the verge of having to shut down before they got a last minute payment. Should this be even remotely disturbing for those of us considering attending a public law school in Illinois? I am not trying to be negative, just seeking a little reassurance.

Thanks

D

All state universities are having difficulties now. Private schools as well, with the reduction in the value of their endowments. Illinois is in the same boat, with the state owing us close to $400 mil. The College is in pretty good shape currently. Our finances are basically independent of the University and our budget has very little state money in it. We plan on adding to our faculty this year as well as expanding our clinics.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Pless wrote:

Thanks

D

All state universities are having difficulties now. Private schools as well, with the reduction in the value of their endowments. Illinois is in the same boat, with the state owing us close to $400 mil. The College is in pretty good shape currently. Our finances are basically independent of the University and our budget has very little state money in it. We plan on adding to our faculty this year as well as expanding our clinics.

Wow! 400 million. If the state ever sends you a check that big, I've gotta see it LOL :lol: Thanks for the information. While my sympathies lie with higher education in general, it is very good to know that the law college seems to be holding up well. :D

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 pm

Pless wrote:

Thanks

D

Do you mean "expanding" to add more clinics or to mean add more spot available to students in the existing clinics? Sounds interesting.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:13 am

MoS wrote:
Do you mean "expanding" to add more clinics or to mean add more spot available to students in the existing clinics? Sounds interesting.

New clinics.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Pless wrote:
MoS wrote:

New clinics.

Can you please change your avatar? It's been over a week now and it's killing me.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:57 pm

clint4law wrote:
Can you please change your avatar? It's been over a week now and it's killing me.

Thank you. It made me vomit a little each time I saw it.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Dean Pless,

How long do you spend reviewing the average file? Anna Ivey, former Chicago Law Dean of Admissions, said she spent about 5 minutes on each file.

Thanks.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Dean Pless,

How long do you spend reviewing the average file? Anna Ivey, former Chicago Law Dean of Admissions, said she spent about 5 minutes on each file.

Thanks.

6.23 minutes. Kidding.

I have never really timed it. 5 minutes feels about right for an average. Some files I make decisions on pretty quickly, but others linger for me. I will read them and not be able to decide right away. I may come back to a file 3 or 4 times before I finally decide. (I am not talking about "Holds", but before I make an initial decision.) Early in the cycle it is probably longer, as I am getting a sense of the pool.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Withdrew today. Illinois is great, so good luck to everybody waiting.

Also, thanks again to Dean Pless.

samer

Postby samer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Dean Pless, any idea when the held applications will get their second look? I'm sending the request to update my transcripts on Monday and wanted to know if you would review them before this update. I was held on 12/3. Thanks in advance

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:14 pm

samer wrote:Dean Pless, any idea when the held applications will get their second look? I'm sending the request to update my transcripts on Monday and wanted to know if you would review them before this update. I was held on 12/3. Thanks in advance

My plan right now is for files on hold to go back into review on 1/22 with decisions out on 1/29.

lewis louis

Postby lewis louis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Pless wrote:
samer wrote:Dean Pless, any idea when the held applications will get their second look? I'm sending the request to update my transcripts on Monday and wanted to know if you would review them before this update. I was held on 12/3. Thanks in advance

My plan right now is for files on hold to go back into review on 1/22 with decisions out on 1/29.

Dean Pless,

Does it look like you'll be adding any more people into review in the next few days before those decisions go out?

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:37 pm

lewis louis wrote:Dean Pless,

Does it look like you'll be adding any more people into review in the next few days before those decisions go out?

It doesn't look like it at this point in time. Will kind of depend on how the first few days back in the office go.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Dean Pless, if you took the LSAT again in December but had submitted everything around Thanksgiving, when should you expect to be in review?

Pless

Postby Pless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm

jaskat wrote:Dean Pless, if you took the LSAT again in December but had submitted everything around Thanksgiving, when should you expect to be in review?

Your complete date will be when the score reported and I am guessing that we may have 150-250 people that complete at that same time. I would estimate end of January for going into review.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”