Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zapatero

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Zapatero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:16 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:Did everybody write the optional 200-word mini-PS? Is it worth it? I don't know if I could say anything meaningful in 200 words that wasn't covered in the PS and might not want to cop out by listing info off the law school website.

I didn't write it.

Dean Pless says they don't YP so I took him at his word. In my app I explicitly state I'm aiming for the Chicago market and at the end of my PS I mention what makes Illinois stick out for me. I thought that was enough.

Yeah, if that's the case, then I definitely wouldn't write it. I don't mention UIUC in my PS, and I'm out of state, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea, though I don't want to submit a paragraph of BS. I can't determine where I stand in terms of numbers. The ranges are huge, and while I'm just under the medians, I'm far above the 25th and, from what I gather, the means. I wish schools were less cryptic with these data.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:44 pm

clint4law wrote:
NayBoer wrote:I got my status checker email Friday 10/30. Went complete today 11/2. Pending review. It's very explicit about no decisions being rendered before mid month.

when did you apply? i have yet to receive my status checker and I applied last week (monday)
Applied 10/21. Complete 11/2.

Edit - I wrote the extra statement. I don't expect it will change much.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm

I keep hearing about people apply to this school early. If you're retaking in December, should you send it in now or should you just wait?

sckon

Postby sckon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Hoping for a status checker soon. They seem slow. Applied last early last week. This whole application thing is not good for my short patience.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 pm

sckon wrote:Hoping for a status checker soon. They seem slow. Applied last early last week. This whole application thing is not good for my short patience.

when i applied in early september, they said no decisions will be made until november 15th, so no worries.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Padimud wrote:So that means you are done talking and will move on right? Point understood, if we were idiots we would be so naive to not realize the consequences for any future decision we make. Go make your 35K a year and feel satisfied feeling you "beat" the system. Then come back in 10 years for a reunion and find out where all these debt loaded naive people are making. Then compare - till then just move on down the road no one needs to hear repeated fears that they have already determined are worth the payment.

Well done.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Rob Johnson wrote:Don't do it. It's a trap. UIUC = TTT ITE. The last they officially advertized a median salary was 2007 (I think) and it was $125K. Then last year it dropped to $80K. I'd bet it'll be more around $60K, and a huge amount of unemployment for c/o 2011.

You've been forewarned.

Thanks for this unique perspective. What do you suggest a law school appliacant do? What schools are you applying to or attending? Finally someone telling it like it is, you're doing good work.

am10

Postby am10 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I sent my application on Nov. 4, and I just got my status checker. I'm hoping to go complete really soon in case the decisions do start rolling out on the 15th.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Are all the Sept/Oct complete people expecting a status checker update Monday, Nov 16?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:34 am

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I thought I would let you all know what we are doing with applications. I will start reviewing files this week, but people that applied Early Decision will be reviewed first. Once those are done I will move to the regular decision files and review those based on the order of completion. I would expect the first regular decision offers to come out in early December.

We held off sending out the status checker email for a few reasons. I knew that I wouldn't be reviewing files until now and didn't want people to get carpal tunnel hitting the refresh button. Also, even though your file may be complete at LSAC, it typically takes a week or so for it to be complete here at Illinois. This is because we go through every file just to make sure that everything is actually there and ready for review. I was trying to avoid the flood of calls and emails asking why the file wasn't complete yet.

Hope that helps.
Paul

riburn3

Postby riburn3 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 am

Pless wrote:Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I thought I would let you all know what we are doing with applications. I will start reviewing files this week, but people that applied Early Decision will be reviewed first. Once those are done I will move to the regular decision files and review those based on the order of completion. I would expect the first regular decision offers to come out in early December.

We held off sending out the status checker email for a few reasons. I knew that I wouldn't be reviewing files until now and didn't want people to get carpal tunnel hitting the refresh button. Also, even though your file may be complete at LSAC, it typically takes a week or so for it to be complete here at Illinois. This is because we go through every file just to make sure that everything is actually there and ready for review. I was trying to avoid the flood of calls and emails asking why the file wasn't complete yet.

Hope that helps.
Paul

Thanks for the update. Nice to see some crystal clear communication out of a school for a change.

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the update, Paul! I just submitted my application yesterday after speaking with one of your admissions representatives, I was quite impressed.

sckon

Postby sckon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Pless wrote:Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I thought I would let you all know what we are doing with applications. I will start reviewing files this week, but people that applied Early Decision will be reviewed first. Once those are done I will move to the regular decision files and review those based on the order of completion. I would expect the first regular decision offers to come out in early December.

Hope that helps.
Paul

+1

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Dean Pless continues to impress me. :D

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 pm

+1

I thought his TLS interview was good. Looking forward to having a reason to check out Urbana-Champaign when I get back stateside in February.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Complete today (11/13). Very cool to see Dean Pless letting us know what's up.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Went complete today as well! Very excited over here :)

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:+1

I thought his TLS interview was good. Looking forward to having a reason to check out Urbana-Champaign when I get back stateside in February.

You mean your not living in the US currently? Why do you hate America?!

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:57 am

sckon wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:+1

You mean your not living in the US currently? Why do you hate America?!

Lets see:

1. I get a free education here.
2. I have a job here.
3. I have free health insurance here (its universal)
4. I can live on way less here and live great (I have a partitioned studio in an expensive part of the city I live in, close to public transportation and nightlife and pay $500/month; I spend another $500 or so on food and everything else and eat out a lot)
5. The girls (PM me if you really want to know the location)

Overall, I came to get a free education when I graduated from college, didn't have a job, and wanted to travel. I've been here 3 years and saved about 10k, which I plan to blow while traveling in SE Asia and China in the spring. Best to dispose of that money now rather than offset law school debt. I don't hate America, but you have to admit America has issues.

I do look forward to coming back for law school and will say that where I am still doesn't have the same appeal as America does (at least for me long term).

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:10 am

Oh I was just messin'. I would love to live overseas.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 am

sckon wrote:Oh I was just messin'. I would love to live overseas.

Like anything else it has good points and bad. I would kill for some good Italian food or a nice deli sandwich or cereal choices for that matter.

Believe it or not when I left in 2006 some people asked me why I would want to leave (this being from a small town in Podunk). So I guess I never know.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 am

Wanted to drop in again and give an update. I am about to hit send on all of our Early Decision applicants. Illinois has moved to a paperless review process and as part of that, all initial decisions will be communicated via email. The only paper that we will be sending out are Offers of Admission, but admitted students will be notified first via email.

The quality and volume of applications we have received thus far has been remarkable and I am looking forward to beginning the review of our Regular Decision pool.

Paul

YellowCake

Postby YellowCake » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 am

Pless wrote:The quality and volume of applications we have received thus far has been remarkable and I am looking forward to beginning the review of our Regular Decision pool.

Has this changed your previous expectation that RD applicants will start hearing in early December?

Thanks so much for all of the updates.

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:18 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:
sckon wrote:Oh I was just messin'. I would love to live overseas.

Like anything else it has good points and bad. I would kill for some good Italian food or a nice deli sandwich or cereal choices for that matter.

Believe it or not when I left in 2006 some people asked me why I would want to leave (this being from a small town in Podunk). So I guess I never know.

There is surprisingly good Italian food in Bangkok.

Pless

Postby Pless » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 am

YellowCake wrote:
Pless wrote:The quality and volume of applications we have received thus far has been remarkable and I am looking forward to beginning the review of our Regular Decision pool.

Has this changed your previous expectation that RD applicants will start hearing in early December?

Thanks so much for all of the updates.

I think the first regular decision notices will go out December 4th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”