Illinois 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois 2010!

Post by Pless » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 am

Tenth Usher wrote:I know we're getting schedules in early August, but does anyone have a rough idea of how late in the day the orientation events run? I think I will still have some moving to do late that week/weekend, unfortunately
Orientation will run to 5 on Wednesday and to 4 on Thursday. From 4 to 6 on Thursday is the Welcome Back BBQ at the College. There is nothing scheduled for Friday.

Tenth Usher

New

Post by Tenth Usher » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:02 am

Good to know. Thanks Dean Pless

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I will probably still be moving in/buying home stuff that first week as well since I'm not arriving in Champaign until Tuesday.

Any other California TLSers driving? I'm taking a Route 66 road trip in which I will see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Cadillac Ranch and maybe attempt to eat a 72 ounce steak.
That sounds way better than my drive from Connecticut. Which, the last 3 times I've done it, I did in one day. :shock:

toppercentile

New

Post by toppercentile » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:25 am

Dean Pless: How much hope for last minute wait-listers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:28 am

Kilpatrick wrote:I will probably still be moving in/buying home stuff that first week as well since I'm not arriving in Champaign until Tuesday.

Any other California TLSers driving? I'm taking a Route 66 road trip in which I will see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Cadillac Ranch and maybe attempt to eat a 72 ounce steak.
Damn, that sounds a lot more fun than an 18 hour straight drive through Texas and Arkansas.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:53 am

It looks like the class schedule, finals schedule, and mock class (for orientation) reading is up:

--LinkRemoved--

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:31 pm

So everyone in A&B is in 1,2, or 3, and everyone in C&D is in 4,5, or 6.

I'm hoping for D4.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Yep.

Class times aside, I kind of want to be in A so I can have Dean Smith...I've just heard such good things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:26 pm

If any of you guys were to get a job offer, making 90k/yr in a city that you would like to live in, in the organization that you hope to work for one day, but not exactly doing law related stuff (but something you still like), would you put a stop to law school and go work, or just hope that this, and other similar opportunities will also be there when you get out.

The catch is, you wouldn't begin employment until at least Feb 2011. I do have a job now that I could keep until that time.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:32 pm

cr073137 wrote:If any of you guys were to get a job offer, making 90k/yr in a city that you would like to live in, in the organization that you hope to work for one day, but not exactly doing law related stuff (but something you still like), would you put a stop to law school and go work, or just hope that this, and other similar opportunities will also be there when you get out.

The catch is, you wouldn't begin employment until at least Feb 2011. I do have a job now that I could keep until that time.
take job.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:33 pm

cr073137 wrote:If any of you guys were to get a job offer, making 90k/yr in a city that you would like to live in, in the organization that you hope to work for one day, but not exactly doing law related stuff (but something you still like), would you put a stop to law school and go work, or just hope that this, and other similar opportunities will also be there when you get out.

Check your PMs.

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:43 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

Check your PMs.

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is more info, its a bit more complicated. While i'll be now in a city that I like, it is VERY likely that they will move me somewhere else, and very likely to a place that I would not want to live in. There is a 2 year minimum commitment. My family says to go to law school (and i party agree on their reasoning): If I take the job, I would want to grow within the organization (easy to do so) and wouldnt want to leave. It wouldnt also make a lot of sense (economically) to go to law school after a few years, since I can easily hit 160k (big law rate) within 6 years, with way better hours.

And I honestly would like to study law, and in a way, im scared that I wont get to do this if I take this job.

Yet again, what I would hate to go to law school, be in debt, and have no job offer...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 pm

cr073137 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Check your PMs.

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is more info, its a bit more complicated. While i'll be now in a city that I like, it is VERY likely that they will move me somewhere else, and very likely to a place that I would not want to live in. There is a 2 year minimum commitment. My family says to go to law school (and i party agree on their reasoning): If I take the job, I would want to grow within the organization (easy to do so) and wouldnt want to leave. It wouldnt also make a lot of sense (economically) to go to law school after a few years, since I can easily hit 160k (big law rate) within 6 years, with way better hours.

And I honestly would like to study law, and in a way, im scared that I wont get to do this if I take this job.
Okay, crucial question - do you want to study law, or do you want to be a lawyer?

On the other hand, the job sounds like an excellent opportunity to do something you seem to want to be doing, and it also sounds a LOT more secure than what you'll be facing in the legal industry. If you really want to be a lawyer, law school won't go anywhere, and you will find a way to go back to it.

But like I said in my PM, that's just my two cents. What it really comes down to is what feels right for you. Ask yourself what you would rather do, and that's your answer.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:46 am

Abe Lincoln studied law on his own so can you. He didn't pass the bar, though. Only a grad from an ABA approved law school can be a lawyer. If you want to be a lawyer go to law school. If you want to study law just do it in your free time while doing work you enjoy in a city you like.

Tenth Usher

New

Post by Tenth Usher » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:52 am

Congrats! Some timing, huh?

Given everything you said, if the work was what I wanted to do and it gave me the opportunity for advancing to other jobs I wanted, I'd take it.

But if your plan to this point has been to go to law school, I'd guess you mostly want to work as a lawyer. It all comes down to what you want most. Good luck, and either way it sounds like you have an enviable choice.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Tenth Usher wrote:Congrats! Some timing, huh?

Given everything you said, if the work was what I wanted to do and it gave me the opportunity for advancing to other jobs I wanted, I'd take it.

But if your plan to this point has been to go to law school, I'd guess you mostly want to work as a lawyer. It all comes down to what you want most. Good luck, and either way it sounds like you have an enviable choice.
+1, for setting ur priorities

Congrats. I hope u will attend law school with us, bur both ur choices are enviable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tenth Usher

New

Post by Tenth Usher » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Anyone know anything about football tickets?

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
Tenth Usher wrote:Anyone know anything about football tickets?
I know u use them to go to football games.
You went to Emory - do you even know what "football" is?

(just joshin' ya :wink: )

Anyway, apparently tickets are on sale now.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:52 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
Warhawk wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:
Tenth Usher wrote:Anyone know anything about football tickets?
I know u use them to go to football games.
You went to Emory - do you even know what "football" is?

(just joshin' ya :wink: )

Anyway, apparently tickets are on sale now.
lol. good comeback. I'm actually glad the whole "no football team" experience is behind me (unless i get in off their wl).
Hey, I went to Bucknell, it's as close as you can get to not having a football team without actually not having a football team (we sucked). :roll:

OTOH, we did set the "beat the stuffing out of a higher ranked Kansas basketball team" trend that Bradley and Northern Iowa have been ever so kind to follow.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Warhawk wrote:Hey, I went to Bucknell, it's as close as you can get to not having a football team without actually not having a football team (we sucked). :roll:

OTOH, we did set the "beat the stuffing out of a higher ranked Kansas basketball team" trend that Bradley and Northern Iowa have been ever so kind to follow.
Pretty big UNI fan here. Here's to hoping next March is as good as the past one.

Tenth Usher

New

Post by Tenth Usher » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Warhawk wrote:Hey, I went to Bucknell, it's as close as you can get to not having a football team without actually not having a football team (we sucked). :roll:
Sounds just like my undergrad, and we didn't even play good teams. Ohio State at home is really raising the bar compared with what I'm used to

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:08 pm

My UIN isn't valid for registering for student tickets. Anyone else having this problem?

Ohio State at home... gonna be drinking plenty of haterade for that one.

http://www.fightingillini.com

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”