Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
romothesavior

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am

jackalope11 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
blurbz wrote:Seriously, though, if we can find reasonably priced tickets, I'd love to go.

Same. Although I might be a little afraid to sport my green and gold in Chicago.

FWIW, I was in Chicago a couple o' years ago when the Packers were playing the Bears, and there was significant Green & Gold representation to be seen.

There usually is. Illinois area is mostly Bears fans, but there are a surprising number of Packers fans, especially outside of Chicago.

(Yes... I know I'm not going to UIUC. But I was very close to attending once upon a time so it still pops up on my "view my posts" and I creep on here)

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 am

romothesavior wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
blurbz wrote:Seriously, though, if we can find reasonably priced tickets, I'd love to go.

Same. Although I might be a little afraid to sport my green and gold in Chicago.

FWIW, I was in Chicago a couple o' years ago when the Packers were playing the Bears, and there was significant Green & Gold representation to be seen.

There usually is. Illinois area is mostly Bears fans, but there are a surprising number of Packers fans, especially outside of Chicago.

(Yes... I know I'm not going to UIUC. But I was very close to attending once upon a time so it still pops up on my "view my posts" and I creep on here)

We don't like the NorBers coming on here.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am

romothesavior wrote:(Yes... I know I'm not going to UIUC. But I was very close to attending once upon a time so it still pops up on my "view my posts" and I creep on here)

Fair. I'd creep on the WUSTL thread if it didn't break my heart to do so.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:01 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:We don't like the NorBers coming on here.

Hey now, you've been in there before too. Come on over and join us.

And good luck to all of you. Champaign is a pretty cool little college town and UIUC is a solid school (some days I kick myself for passing up on the offer, but that's neither here nor there). I know quite a few people who go there currently and I've gotten to know some of the people in this thread (either via TLS or IRL), so you should have a great class.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Moving to Champaign in 3 days. Kind of sad to be leaving Chicago, but it will be nice to have my own place again (I've been living with friends/family for the last 4 months).

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:And good luck to all of you. Champaign is a pretty cool little college town and UIUC is a solid school (some days I kick myself for passing up on the offer, but that's neither here nor there). I know quite a few people who go there currently and I've gotten to know some of the people in this thread (either via TLS or IRL), so you should have a great class.

Yeah, definitely on all points. Needless to say, I've noticed the same things and am pretty excited about my UIUC decision. Good luck at WUSTL!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:We don't like the NorBers coming on here.

Hey now, you've been in there before too. Come on over and join us.

And good luck to all of you. Champaign is a pretty cool little college town and UIUC is a solid school (some days I kick myself for passing up on the offer, but that's neither here nor there). I know quite a few people who go there currently and I've gotten to know some of the people in this thread (either via TLS or IRL), so you should have a great class.

Haha, I don't want to get caught up in another BP though! Too...many...posts...

I know WUSTL is gorgeous, and it looks like you'll be living in a great area. Good luck there!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And good luck to all of you. Champaign is a pretty cool little college town and UIUC is a solid school (some days I kick myself for passing up on the offer, but that's neither here nor there). I know quite a few people who go there currently and I've gotten to know some of the people in this thread (either via TLS or IRL), so you should have a great class.

Yeah, definitely on all points. Needless to say, I've noticed the same things and am pretty excited about my UIUC decision. Good luck at WUSTL!

Romo, you're always welcome in these here parts. When I was facing my WashU/Illinois decision you were easily the most helpful person (real life included).

Webby--It's hard for me to look at the WUSTL threads, too (especially the pictures...). That offer just came a bit too late and a bit too short. I couldn't justify paying 50k more for WashU than Illinois and, in all honestly, I just felt more comfortable at Illinois. Broke my family's collective hearts. I'm definitely happy, confident and comfortable with my choice, but that doesn't mean I won't be second-guessing it for a while...

I'm glad others are noticing that it's looking like we'll have a great class: I certainly think we will! I'm just really looking forward to getting started.

For all of you people who have already moved, or are moving shortly, I (and others, I'm sure) would appreciate it if you post any local gems you find in Champaign...

For my part, I really enjoyed dinner at Yellowfin on Saturday. It was a tad overpriced and the atmosphere wasn't anything special, but the food was really quite good.

Additionally, there's a great used/rare bookstore in downtown Champaign. I don't remember what it's called, but if you wander around a little, I'm sure you'll find it.

And finally, Cocomero is a pretty good frozen yogurt place at Wright and Green.

Unfortunately, I can't say much about the bars because the only one I've been to (I've had to drive a few hours home each time I've been to Champaign) is the Blind Pig. It does have a great selection, though!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 pm

blurbz wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Romo, you're always welcome in these here parts. When I was facing my WashU/Illinois decision you were easily the most helpful person (real life included).

Webby--It's hard for me to look at the WUSTL threads, too (especially the pictures...). That offer just came a bit too late and a bit too short. I couldn't justify paying 50k more for WashU than Illinois and, in all honestly, I just felt more comfortable at Illinois. Broke my family's collective hearts. I'm definitely happy, confident and comfortable with my choice, but that doesn't mean I won't be second-guessing it for a while...

I'm glad others are noticing that it's looking like we'll have a great class: I certainly think we will! I'm just really looking forward to getting started.

For all of you people who have already moved, or are moving shortly, I (and others, I'm sure) would appreciate it if you post any local gems you find in Champaign...

For my part, I really enjoyed dinner at Yellowfin on Saturday. It was a tad overpriced and the atmosphere wasn't anything special, but the food was really quite good.

Additionally, there's a great used/rare bookstore in downtown Champaign. I don't remember what it's called, but if you wander around a little, I'm sure you'll find it.

And finally, Cocomero is a pretty good frozen yogurt place at Wright and Green.

Unfortunately, I can't say much about the bars because the only one I've been to (I've had to drive a few hours home each time I've been to Champaign) is the Blind Pig. It does have a great selection, though!

And again, any of you should feel free to ask me questions about C-U.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:

What do you know about cable/internet providers? Is Comcast really the only option? :cry:

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:03 pm

blurbz wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

What do you know about cable/internet providers? Is Comcast really the only option? :cry:

For cable lines, assuming you live in c-u, yes. When I lived in Monticello, it was Mediacom. Some of the other small towns have different companies, I believe. You could go dish/dsl, but that's going to be a slower internet connection.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah, I guess I'll end up with Comcast, I've just had some rough times with them!

Thanks!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 pm

blurbz wrote:Yeah, I guess I'll end up with Comcast, I've just had some rough times with them!

Thanks!

Haha, everyone has. Or everyone that's used them, at least.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Actually, I just signed up for AT&T U-verse, which is their fiber optic service. Of course, their lovely order page says something about service not being guaranteed until the installation (as in, hey, you can probably get it but we can't really tell you yet because we have no idea). I guess we'll find out. But they had the address already in the system, whereas Comcast did not, so that leads me to believe that the previous resident used AT&T.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:22 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Actually, I just signed up for AT&T U-verse, which is their fiber optic service. Of course, their lovely order page says something about service not being guaranteed until the installation (as in, hey, you can probably get it but we can't really tell you yet because we have no idea). I guess we'll find out. But they had the address already in the system, whereas Comcast did not, so that leads me to believe that the previous resident used AT&T.

This sounds promising..I think I'll have to look that up! What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:23 pm

blurbz wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Actually, I just signed up for AT&T U-verse, which is their fiber optic service. Of course, their lovely order page says something about service not being guaranteed until the installation (as in, hey, you can probably get it but we can't really tell you yet because we have no idea). I guess we'll find out. But they had the address already in the system, whereas Comcast did not, so that leads me to believe that the previous resident used AT&T.

This sounds promising..I think I'll have to look that up! What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

I just signed up for internet service - the 12Mbps speed - but they offer other speeds and tv/phone service, too.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:29 pm

I just checked and they had my address but they say that U-verse is not available there. Oh well!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:34 pm

blurbz wrote:I just checked and they had my address but they say that U-verse is not available there. Oh well!

Aw, that sucks. On the bright side, that probably means I'm set then, since I didn't get that "not available" message.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
blurbz wrote:I just checked and they had my address but they say that U-verse is not available there. Oh well!

Aw, that sucks. On the bright side, that probably means I'm set then, since I didn't get that "not available" message.

For your sake, I hope so! Let us know!

LoveJones

Postby LoveJones » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Sorry to borrow the thread again, congrats to any new admits!

Dean Pless: Do you have any updates about when UIUC expects to make decisions for transfer students? Thank you

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Another nice update from Pless...this time saying there's been some movement (5 WL spots opened up) but still movement at a snail's pace :( :(

Is it impossible that money would be given out to WL-Accepts?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Regionality wrote:Another nice update from Pless...this time saying there's been some movement (5 WL spots opened up) but still movement at a snail's pace :( :(

I doubt it. Last time I talked to him (a couple weeks ago) he said they were completely maxed out on their budget. So unless a bunch of people with $$ withdraw, I don't think WL-Accepts will see any $$.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:55 pm

regardless of money!
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Regionality wrote:Another nice update from Pless...this time saying there's been some movement (5 WL spots opened up) but still movement at a snail's pace :( :(

I doubt it. Last time I talked to him (a couple weeks ago) he said they were completely maxed out on their budget. So unless a bunch of people with $$ withdraw, I don't think WL-Accepts will see any $$.

I've never understood how the idea that "no wl ppl will get money" works. Usually the ppl to withdraw are the ones who were able to gain admittance to a higher ranked school aka "top 14." Ppl with those numbers were almost certainly receiving some money, so I feel like money should always be back in the pot and available in these instances.

Dean Pless, could u elaborate on this? Thanks! (P.S. I'd still be ready to take an offer at a moment's notice, regardless of money!)

+1!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:12 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:I've never understood how the idea that "no wl ppl will get money" works. Usually the ppl to withdraw are the ones who were able to gain admittance to a higher ranked school aka "top 14." Ppl with those numbers were almost certainly receiving some money, so I feel like money should always be back in the pot and available in these instances.

Well, if you assume that they only made $$ offers up to their budget, I think you'd be correct. However, I believe when they make admissions, they're going to assume that a certain number of people they've offered money to are going to withdraw, so they award more $$ than they really have. Now what happens when those people don't withdraw? They suddenly find themselves overextended in that they've promised more money than they really have. So unless enough people with $$ withdraw to where they are back under their budget, they are still giving out more $$ than they have, so they can't offer additional money to people off the WL. Make sense?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”