Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jackalope11

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am

webbylu87 wrote:Well, this is comforting.

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010/07 ... .cnnmoney/

Webby, I'm in a spot where I can't see video... can you give a synopsis?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 am

It pretty much says things everyone already knows. It's an interview with the state comptroller. The state is 6-8 months behind on its bills. The education system is suffering, although nothing explicitly mentioning the university system is discussed. They discuss the downturn in manufacturing and how that has impacted the state as well as the fact that the poor financial health of the state is turning off potential businesses that might bring their business there. The comptroller mentions that he has a plan to balance the state budget within the next 3-4 years. It will involve some cuts but also raising revenue. He proposes a shift from the uniform 3% income tax to a graduated income tax system. He also discusses pension and other reforms to make sure that this budget crisis does not happen again. That's pretty much the gist of it.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am

webbylu87 wrote:It pretty much says things everyone already knows. It's an interview with the state comptroller. The state is 6-8 months behind on its bills. The education system is suffering, although nothing explicitly mentioning the university system is discussed. They discuss the downturn in manufacturing and how that has impacted the state as well as the fact that the poor financial health of the state is turning off potential businesses that might bring their business there. The comptroller mentions that he has a plan to balance the state budget within the next 3-4 years. It will involve some cuts but also raising revenue. He proposes a shift from the uniform 3% income tax to a graduated income tax system. He also discusses pension and other reforms to make sure that this budget crisis does not happen again. That's pretty much the gist of it.

Blech... You're right about nothing new, but it's still tough to hear. (Crossing fingers for no tuition hikes next year.) Would it be wrong for a jackalope to buy a rabbit's foot?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

jackalope11 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:It pretty much says things everyone already knows. It's an interview with the state comptroller. The state is 6-8 months behind on its bills. The education system is suffering, although nothing explicitly mentioning the university system is discussed. They discuss the downturn in manufacturing and how that has impacted the state as well as the fact that the poor financial health of the state is turning off potential businesses that might bring their business there. The comptroller mentions that he has a plan to balance the state budget within the next 3-4 years. It will involve some cuts but also raising revenue. He proposes a shift from the uniform 3% income tax to a graduated income tax system. He also discusses pension and other reforms to make sure that this budget crisis does not happen again. That's pretty much the gist of it.

Blech... You're right about nothing new, but it's still tough to hear. (Crossing fingers for no tuition hikes next year.) Would it be wrong for a jackalope to buy a rabbit's foot?

Not at all. In fact, please do for all our sakes.

If I do recall Dean Pless has said previously he will try to fend of the tuition hikes whenever possible. I know there hasn't been a tuition increase this past year, let's hope there won't be one next year either. And even if a hike becomes necessary he said at an ASD that he will do his best to keep it under 5%. It could be worse, I suppose. The increase on $40k/$33k is only $2k/$1,650 respectively. Not great, but could be worse considering a couple other state schools are raising by almost 10%/year (although they have much lower tuition as it is).

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:11 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

If I do recall Dean Pless has said previously he will try to fend of the tuition hikes whenever possible. I know there hasn't been a tuition increase this past year, let's hope there won't be one next year either. And even if a hike becomes necessary he said at an ASD that he will do his best to keep it under 5%. It could be worse, I suppose. The increase on $40k/$33k is only $2k/$1,650 respectively. Not great, but could be worse considering a couple other state schools are raising by almost 10%/year (although they have much lower tuition as it is).

Agreed on all counts...

That is certainly encouraging, but thoughts on the continuing economic woes keep me nervous. Although our school is certainly "affordable" compared with others, I still look at my estimated loan amounts and quiver. :shock:

Did you all happen to see the posting with the NLJ article regarding the increases in applications to schools? I think UIUC was 4th on the list with a 37% jump? I guess we're not the only ones thinking Champaign would be a nice place to spend a couple or three years!

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Agreed on all counts...

That is certainly encouraging, but thoughts on the continuing economic woes keep me nervous. Although our school is certainly "affordable" compared with others, I still look at my estimated loan amounts and quiver. :shock:

Did you all happen to see the posting with the NLJ article regarding the increases in applications to schools? I think UIUC was 4th on the list with a 37% jump? I guess we're not the only ones thinking Champaign would be a nice place to spend a couple or three years!

Definitely. I read that article and pretty much freaked out for the rest of the day when I saw the subtitle regarding students taking on this much debt in a down economy: "are they nuts?" All signs are pretty much pointing to yes, haha. My nerves are so frazzled over the economy it's getting ridiculous. Although I do feel better about shaving $6k off my estimated COA in my budgeting.

I wonder how much of the huge jump in apps at UIUC must have something to do with the waived application fee this year. To be quite honest that's why I applied initially. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy I did! (Although I'll be even happier in 3 years if/when I have a job.)

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:35 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

My nerves are so frazzled over the economy it's getting ridiculous.

For the next three years, when being told about negative economic indicators, I plan to take the following emergency actions:

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

My nerves are so frazzled over the economy it's getting ridiculous.

For the next three years, when being told about negative economic indicators, I plan to take the following emergency actions:

I happily jump on-board that bandwagon.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:55 pm

I have a better plan. If by the time I graduate I dont have a job, I'm fleeing the country, moving to the caribbean, and just live on the beach on a hamak and sell coconuts to tourist.

--ImageRemoved--

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 pm

If I had photoshop, I would put my ostrich on that beach... hanging out by the coconut stand, not hearing any bad news about the economy. :mrgreen:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:09 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
yhezel wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:Also... Quick question:

Does anyone know of a good baseball watching location/bar? I'd like to catch some home town ballgames, but my team seems to be blacked out around here.

SainClarence recommended the buffalo wild wings. Are you looking for a place with NFL Sunday ticket. Dallas plays Indy and Chicago this year, so you will get at least 2 games on your TV.

Sorry, we officially ran out of law school subjects to discuss.

Yeah, already tried BWW... Unfortunately, they only have the Sports Pack (as do I) instead of the MLB Extra Innings package, which runs about $200... Sheesh!

FWIW, if you're looking for a place with the Sunday Ticket, the jackalope's den is already hooked up. Why watch one game at a time, when you can watch 8??? :lol: Besides cold, frosty beverages are cheaper when bought in bulk, rather than individually from a tap.

Also, something tells me that we will have plenty of Law School topics to discuss within a month, so we better get the non-Law School discussions out of the way, right? :)

If this is an invitation, count me in. I'll gladly provide refreshments for a place to watch my Packers...

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:13 pm

blurbz wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
yhezel wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:Also... Quick question:

Does anyone know of a good baseball watching location/bar? I'd like to catch some home town ballgames, but my team seems to be blacked out around here.

SainClarence recommended the buffalo wild wings. Are you looking for a place with NFL Sunday ticket. Dallas plays Indy and Chicago this year, so you will get at least 2 games on your TV.

Sorry, we officially ran out of law school subjects to discuss.

Yeah, already tried BWW... Unfortunately, they only have the Sports Pack (as do I) instead of the MLB Extra Innings package, which runs about $200... Sheesh!

FWIW, if you're looking for a place with the Sunday Ticket, the jackalope's den is already hooked up. Why watch one game at a time, when you can watch 8??? :lol: Besides cold, frosty beverages are cheaper when bought in bulk, rather than individually from a tap.

Also, something tells me that we will have plenty of Law School topics to discuss within a month, so we better get the non-Law School discussions out of the way, right? :)

If this is an invitation, count me in. I'll gladly provide refreshments for a place to watch my Packers...

So happy I'm not the only Packers fan.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
So happy I'm not the only Packers fan.

Me too. I bet we'll be a minority....but I plan on it being a vocal minority.

:D

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Bengals FTW.

BTW, you can get free two-day shipping from Amazon for a year with a .edu address: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info. Should definitely come in handy for textbooks and whatever else.

NewtonLied

Postby NewtonLied » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Here's a question. When does our student health insurance kick in?

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm

NewtonLied wrote:Here's a question. When does our student health insurance kick in?

Coverage starts 8/21/2010, and you have until 9/23/10 to make changes.

You can get all the coverage info, dates, deductibles etc here:

http://www.si.uiuc.edu

I'm looking for a dental plan, can anyone recommend one with a decent network in the area?

Sounds like the Jackalope's den will be busy on weekends.

Packers fans, do you plan to go to Chicago when they visit in September?

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Nice work with the NFL Sunday Ticket. I was looking into this. I found a site that lists Esquire Lounge as a Steelers bar, so I may have to check that out. There'll be at least one Terrible Towel traveling to Champaign this August

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 am

Also when do we get our schedules?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am

sixburgher wrote:Also when do we get our schedules?

Orientation.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:30 am

yhezel wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:Here's a question. When does our student health insurance kick in?

I'm looking for a dental plan, can anyone recommend one with a decent network in the area?

Not sure if you looked at the dental coverage grad students at UIUC are eligible for but I'll probably sign up for it. I ran it by a dental hygiene instructor I know and was told it looks like a pretty decent deal if you're looking to establish care and have some cleanings done. She also said the Delta Dental network it uses is a pretty common one and that she has nothing negative to say about it. This is the info: http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/current/dental.htm

They also have a vision plan for grad students: http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/current/vision.htm

And as far as the Packers go, I didn't realize they were in Chicago in September. I'll have to think about that....

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 am

webbylu87 wrote:
yhezel wrote:

Not sure if you looked at the dental coverage grad students at UIUC are eligible for but I'll probably sign up for it. I ran it by a dental hygiene instructor I know and was told it looks like a pretty decent deal if you're looking to establish care and have some cleanings done. She also said the Delta Dental network it uses is a pretty common one and that she has nothing negative to say about it. This is the info: http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/current/dental.htm

They also have a vision plan for grad students: http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/current/vision.htm

And as far as the Packers go, I didn't realize they were in Chicago in September. I'll have to think about that....

That game is right before my birthday, if anyone was looking for gift ideas...

Seriously, though, if we can find reasonably priced tickets, I'd love to go.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 am

blurbz wrote:Seriously, though, if we can find reasonably priced tickets, I'd love to go.

Same. Although I might be a little afraid to sport my green and gold in Chicago.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:11 am

blurbz wrote:

Sorry for the late response, all, but it will indeed be an open invitation. If you're able to stand some good natured jabs, then even Packers fans are welcome! :)

Eagles fans need not apply. J/K. I am sure there are some very nice Eagles fans out there... somewhere.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:15 am

webbylu87 wrote:
blurbz wrote:Seriously, though, if we can find reasonably priced tickets, I'd love to go.

Same. Although I might be a little afraid to sport my green and gold in Chicago.

FWIW, I was in Chicago a couple o' years ago when the Packers were playing the Bears, and there was significant Green & Gold representation to be seen.

Just remember to travel in groups ("Packs"? Queue Debby Downer trumpet.) and stay to well-lit, highly populated areas with lots of witnesses. :lol:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am

jackalope11 wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Sorry for the late response, all, but it will indeed be an open invitation. If you're able to stand some good natured jabs, then even Packers fans are welcome! :)

Eagles fans need not apply. J/K. I am sure there are some very nice Eagles fans out there... somewhere.

I can handle the jabs....If you can handle taking the loss! :lol:

Sounds good, though, definitely.

I'm really ready to move in...One month from tomorrow. Time is draggggggging.

I was in Champaign last weekend and was really impressed with everything I saw (it was only my third time there). There are a ton of nice looking cafes, some good bars, lots of friendly people, good coffee, and a nice used bookstore. I think I'm going to enjoy three years there.

All that's left to do, it seems, is wait.....

Sorry for the rambling post: I'm just bored at work and ready for something new.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”