Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TCScrutinizer

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:41 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:And while I'm at it, it's generally best to avoid all areas along Bradley avenue between Mattis and Market Street. You're fine driving through and all, but don't be caught walking through at night.

I just google street viewed as much of that area as I could and it looks nicer than where I live now. :|

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:59 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:And while I'm at it, it's generally best to avoid all areas along Bradley avenue between Mattis and Market Street. You're fine driving through and all, but don't be caught walking through at night.

I just google street viewed as much of that area as I could and it looks nicer than where I live now. :|

Where do you live now? And where did you google?

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

What about the area just East of the Train Station?

What bar would you recommend for sports?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:09 pm

yhezel wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

What about the area just East of the Train Station?

What bar would you recommend for sports?

I like buffalo wild wings for sports. East of the Train Station,I would say it depends if it's north or south of University. South of University is fine, good access to stuff. North of University, not so much.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:09 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

An income-restricted apartment complex across from a trailer park and a junkyard in a small town near Austin.

I googled Bradley Avenue between Market and the point at which street view ends. For a city the size of Champaign, street view is pretty sparse. The area did look poor, but it didn't really look that awful. Maybe it loses something in translation.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:46 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

An income-restricted apartment complex across from a trailer park and a junkyard in a small town near Austin.

I googled Bradley Avenue between Market and the point at which street view ends. For a city the size of Champaign, street view is pretty sparse. The area did look poor, but it didn't really look that awful. Maybe it loses something in translation.

The problem is, housing in Champaign is really cheap. If the area looks poor, then it's generally REALLY poor. That area doesn't generally look that bad, but it is. I lived there for several years, and grew up pretty close. The vast majority of non-campus crime occurs there. Bradley & McKinley is specifically the worst neighborhood in C-U. The low income housing there is really shady. It's just not a safe place to be.

Champaign is generally very segregated along economic lines.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:41 am

cr073137 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote: Also, the best gay bar is on Chester Street if that's your cup of tea as well.

THE best gay bar? There is more than one in Chambana? thats surprising. I went to boltini and the blind pig when i visited, both ok places to hang out. I'm more concerned with the crowd, while im very young (in comparison), I dont want crazy undergrads running around and ruining my fun time. But oh well, who knows how much time we will be able to even go to these places.

I am thinking of hosting a pool party/bbq (ill be living in the village) before class start @20.

+1 to living at The Village. A pool party/bbq sounds like a great idea. And also, count me in for a night at the bars.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

At some point I'll get my smoker going, too.

toppercentile

Postby toppercentile » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Dean Pless: Has there been anyone accepted off of the waitlist yet? Has your 15% from the waitlist expectation changed at this point? THANKS!

Pless

Postby Pless » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:18 pm

toppercentile wrote:Dean Pless: Has there been anyone accepted off of the waitlist yet? Has your 15% from the waitlist expectation changed at this point? THANKS!

We have not made any offers yet. I will send out an update to everyone on the wait list next week.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 pm

So apart from the student loan information and the health stuff (immunizations, etc) is there anything else we need to be taking care of?

And how'd the move go jackalope?

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Pless wrote:
toppercentile wrote:Dean Pless: Has there been anyone accepted off of the waitlist yet? Has your 15% from the waitlist expectation changed at this point? THANKS!

We have not made any offers yet. I will send out an update to everyone on the wait list next week.

I'm guessing this is a good thing... Well, not for those on the waitlist, sorry guys!!

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:55 am

sixburgher wrote:So apart from the student loan information and the health stuff (immunizations, etc) is there anything else we need to be taking care of?

And how'd the move go jackalope?

The move went pretty well, all things considered... By that I mean, it was about as painless as moving can be. I've only misplaced or broken about 10% of my stuff, which might be a new personal best. :)

However, I just got my interwebs back last night (withdrawals are subsiding) and the big screen is up and running!

Have you decided when you're going to make it in yet?

I too am wondering about the Financial Aid portion... Has anyone heard of any updates about when we might be able to apply for our GradPLUS loans? I've tried several times, but the student loan website says that Illinois is not accepting applications for the 2010-2011 aid year.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:29 am

jackalope11 wrote:I too am wondering about the Financial Aid portion... Has anyone heard of any updates about when we might be able to apply for our GradPLUS loans? I've tried several times, but the student loan website says that Illinois is not accepting applications for the 2010-2011 aid year.

There's actually a post about that on the admitted student forum (on their site, not TLS) - we don't actually apply. The way the new system works, since it's all Direct now, is that they submit it for us after we accept the loan. The post says they were supposed to do that this week sometime, so we should have approval decisions within the next 2 weeks.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Any ideas on when we get our class schedules?

I'm going to be in Champaign tomorrow for another look around--any "can't miss" things I need to check out?

brickman

Postby brickman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm

blurbz wrote:Any ideas on when we get our class schedules?

I'm going to be in Champaign tomorrow for another look around--any "can't miss" things I need to check out?

If interested in pretty buildings see: Seibel Center, Graduate Library, student union 1st floor, Granger Library.

If interested in food: Urbana Farmers Market on Saturday morning, Currier Cafe, Crane Alley, Blackdog.

If scenery: Main quad or carle park.

Knock yourself out!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm

brickman wrote:
blurbz wrote:Any ideas on when we get our class schedules?

If interested in pretty buildings see: Seibel Center, Graduate Library, student union 1st floor, Granger Library.

If interested in food: Urbana Farmers Market on Saturday morning, Currier Cafe, Crane Alley, Blackdog.

If scenery: Main quad or carle park.

Knock yourself out!

Helpful site for food:

http://www.eatcu.com/

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks so much!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 pm

yhezel wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:Yezel you are right on Spain, they should be world champions this time. However, it wouldn't be the first time they underachieve at the world cup.

Just marking my Spanish failure prediction. 8)

It's been a long day today :(

Im done making predictions

. . . Che :D

WOW! Yhezel was right (just like octopaul).

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:06 am

Luis Gomez wrote:
yhezel wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:Yezel you are right on Spain, they should be world champions this time. However, it wouldn't be the first time they underachieve at the world cup.

Luis Gomez wrote:
yhezel wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:

He made too many enemies in Germany, he should move to Spain as a political refugee.

Jackalope, did you ship your TV? I need to decide on whether to ship mine or sell it and buy a new one.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:41 am

yhezel wrote:
He made too many enemies in Germany, he should move to Spain as a political refugee.

Jackalope, did you ship your TV? I need to decide on whether to ship mine or sell it and buy a new one.

First, please allow me to ask: Since the World Cup is (finally) over, can we get back to talking about important stuff... like American football? :lol: (Kidding, of course, no offense to futball fans!) By the way, this year (as with all other years) is the year that the Cowboys win it all. Mark me down.

Yhezel, I just put mine in the back of the truck along with all of my other stuff, though I might have the benefit of some slightly older technology. I have the old projection LCD, rather than the true flat screen.

However, I also have a smaller flat screen that I boxed up, made sure was upright, and put in the truck.

This was my second move and I've never had any trouble with either TV... although once I did get the extension cord of the big screen caught in an elevator and hilarity ensued. :D Suffice to say that my extension cord is now a Frankenstein-like contraption, using equal amounts of electrical tape and ingenuity.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am

Also... Quick question:

Does anyone know of a good baseball watching location/bar? I'd like to catch some home town ballgames, but my team seems to be blacked out around here.

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am

jackalope11 wrote:Also... Quick question:

Does anyone know of a good baseball watching location/bar? I'd like to catch some home town ballgames, but my team seems to be blacked out around here.

SainClarence recommended the buffalo wild wings. Are you looking for a place with NFL Sunday ticket. Dallas plays Indy and Chicago this year, so you will get at least 2 games on your TV.

Sorry, we officially ran out of law school subjects to discuss.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am

yhezel wrote:

SainClarence recommended the buffalo wild wings. Are you looking for a place with NFL Sunday ticket. Dallas plays Indy and Chicago this year, so you will get at least 2 games on your TV.

Sorry, we officially ran out of law school subjects to discuss.

Yeah, already tried BWW... Unfortunately, they only have the Sports Pack (as do I) instead of the MLB Extra Innings package, which runs about $200... Sheesh!

FWIW, if you're looking for a place with the Sunday Ticket, the jackalope's den is already hooked up. Why watch one game at a time, when you can watch 8??? :lol: Besides cold, frosty beverages are cheaper when bought in bulk, rather than individually from a tap.

Also, something tells me that we will have plenty of Law School topics to discuss within a month, so we better get the non-Law School discussions out of the way, right? :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”