Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NancyBotwin

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 pm

yhezel wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Also, super excited, I found an apartment. :mrgreen:

Did you get a little box made out of ticky tacky? :)

:lol:

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Has anyone been able to finish their application for the GradPlus loans yet? It's not working for me.

Nope. I was actually wondering if it was maybe the browser I'm using, but I haven't tried again with a different one yet.

Also, super excited, I found an apartment. :mrgreen:

Where's it at? (I'm from Champaign)

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:51 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Where's it at? (I'm from Champaign)

It's on Springfield between Lynn and Elm, top floor of a converted house. It's super cute and all vintage-y, and within walking distance of the downtown bar area.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 am

NancyBotwin wrote:

It's on Springfield between Lynn and Elm, top floor of a converted house. It's super cute and all vintage-y, and within walking distance of the downtown bar area.

Yeah, you're in a good spot. I lived on White between Lynn and Elm Senior year (that's just north of you). You'll be right next to the Champaign Public Library, and it's a relatively quiet neighborhood. Also, West Side Park is a nice place to relax. Hit me up if you have any questions about the area.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:24 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Yeah, you're in a good spot. I lived on White between Lynn and Elm Senior year (that's just north of you). You'll be right next to the Champaign Public Library, and it's a relatively quiet neighborhood. Also, West Side Park is a nice place to relax. Hit me up if you have any questions about the area.

What do you think about a house in W. William St. between Prairie St. and State St.? I believe it is only 6 blocks from NancyBotwin's place.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

What do you think about a house in W. William St. between Prairie St. and State St.? I believe it is only 6 blocks from NancyBotwin's place.

That's less than two blocks from where I'll be living, if that tells you how I feel about it :-) Pretty much an ideal location - and it should be quiet, no noisy undergrads.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:00 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:Yeah, you're in a good spot. I lived on White between Lynn and Elm Senior year (that's just north of you). You'll be right next to the Champaign Public Library, and it's a relatively quiet neighborhood. Also, West Side Park is a nice place to relax. Hit me up if you have any questions about the area.

That's less than two blocks from where I'll be living, if that tells you how I feel about it :-) Pretty much an ideal location - and it should be quiet, no noisy undergrads.

Haha, nice. 3 of us within just a few blocks. :mrgreen:

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Make that four, I am sharing the place with another of or future classmates. :D

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Also, where do people go for groceries in that area.

Wondering this also. I do remember driving by a County Market (I think?) on Springfield (again, I think?), and it seemed like it might be a semi-normal grocery store. But I could be wrong.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:09 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Also, where do people go for groceries in that area.

Wondering this also. I do remember driving by a County Market (I think?) on Springfield (again, I think?), and it seemed like it might be a semi-normal grocery store. But I could be wrong.

It depends on what you're looking for.

I do most of my shopping at Schnucks - there are 2, one on Mattis and one out in Savoy on Neil. Great produce, and good selection overall. The one out on Neil is preferable. Friar Tucks (the best liquor store) is right next door, as is a Dollar Tree for all of your cheap toiletry needs.

http://www.schnucks.com/stores/store.asp?store=730
http://www.friartuckonline.com/location.html

I get my meat at Old Time Meat & Deli (also on Neil, between Kirby and Devonshire). It's a small butcher shop, but good prices and pretty good sales. Also the people there are super friendly:

http://www.oldtimemeatanddeli.com/

If you're looking for a big box store (just looking for super cheap prices and huge selection) there's a Wal-Mart past the Schnucks in Savoy. There's also one out on North Prospect (past 74 on Prospect) and one on Philo Road in Urbana. If you want big box but hate Wal-Mart, I'd recommend Meijer - it's right across the street from the Wal-Mart on North Prospect. Sam's Club is out there too (like Costco, but more... er... redneck). They have huge bulk items at ultra cheap prices, but you need a membership.

If anyone needs any other info, I'd be happy to provide.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:My apartment is near West Side Park on Clark Street. For those who have lived in Champaign before, is that a good area? It looks like it's pretty close to Nancy's.

Also, where do people go for groceries in that area. I don't recognize any of the names of grocery stores so I don't know where to go. I'm moving to a place that has Hardee's instead of Carl's Jr and I am so confused. :?

If you're looking for close, I'd try Jerry's IGA on Kirby That's about the closest you're going to get other than specialty shops.

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I'm moving to a place that has Hardee's instead of Carl's Jr and I am so confused. :?

I feel your pain Kilpatrick

I'll be a few blocks East of Downtown, right on the edge of campus.

If we map our future locations, ground zero is not the law school, but within walking distance of Bar-heavy downtown, I'm sure it's a coincidence.

For those who (like me) won't have a car, I rented one for the first weekend before class, so if anyone wants a ride to get the first load of groceries, house items, etc let me know. :)

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:57 pm

yhezel wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I'm moving to a place that has Hardee's instead of Carl's Jr and I am so confused. :?

If we map our future locations, ground zero is not the law school, but within walking distance of Bar-heavy downtown, I'm sure it's a coincidence.

For those who (like me) won't have a car, I rented one for the first weekend before class, so if anyone wants a ride to get the first load of groceries, house items, etc let me know. :)

Thanks Yhezel. I will keep it in mind.
We should all go down and explore that Bar-heavy downtown before classes start.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
yhezel wrote:

Thanks Yhezel. I will keep it in mind.
We should all go down and explore that Bar-heavy downtown before classes start.

Agreed. I own a car, by the way.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:We should all go down and explore that Bar-heavy downtown before classes start.

YES

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:We should all go down and explore that Bar-heavy downtown before classes start.

YES

Be aware that the bars vary widely - it's either the undergrad heavy stuff (I think you guys know what that's like) or the older crowd where it's more mellow (though you can usually find live music kind of stuff, too).

AVOID THE PHOENIX AT ALL COSTS THOUGH. Seriously. I'm not joking about this. It's dangerous.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:AVOID THE PHOENIX AT ALL COSTS THOUGH. Seriously. I'm not joking about this. It's dangerous.

Er, why?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:AVOID THE PHOENIX AT ALL COSTS THOUGH. Seriously. I'm not joking about this. It's dangerous.

Er, why?

Dead enders looking to get in fights, not afraid to pull a knife. It's a townie biker bar, I guess. It can run good or bad (some days, no problems, others much much worse). Sometimes they're looking to take advantage of college students.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:44 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Er, why?

Dead enders looking to get in fights, not afraid to pull a knife. It's a townie biker bar, I guess. It can run good or bad (some days, no problems, others much much worse). Sometimes they're looking to take advantage of college students.

Oh, wow, yeah. Thanks for the heads up.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Er, why?

Oh, wow, yeah. Thanks for the heads up.

And while I'm at it, it's generally best to avoid all areas along Bradley avenue between Mattis and Market Street. You're fine driving through and all, but don't be caught walking through at night.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Er, why?

I'll just tell them I'm a law student and threaten to sue. That should take care of it, right? :)

Kidding, thanks for the heads up!

For anyone that's too bored, I'll be moving to Champaign on Thursday and have plenty of boxes to unpack!!! :lol:

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Sheesh! I didn't mean to kill the conversation by mentioning unpacking... I was only kidding! :D

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:18 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Er, why?

I'll just tell them I'm a law student and threaten to sue. That should take care of it, right? :)

Kidding, thanks for the heads up!

For anyone that's too bored, I'll be moving to Champaign on Thursday and have plenty of boxes to unpack!!! :lol:

It's not usually violent, but the potential is certainly there, and it's close to the downtown area. There's also a great art theater (Roger Ebert's favorite) in the heart of downtown, as well as the Virginia theater, which is currently undergoing renovations but hosts Ebert's film festival in April of every year (it's a real old-time theater). For Downtown bars:

Undergrad (if that's your thing, but I'm too old):
The High Dive
Two East Main
Fat City
(and there are obviously lots of Undergrad bars on campus)
The Esquire Lounge is kind of a mix, as is Jupiters. Jupiters is a good place for pool. Jillian's has some really nice tables too.

Older:
The Cowboy Monkey
The Blind Pig (great beer selection)
Boltini Lounge (more upscale)
Seven Saints (lots of grad students; seated)

Also, the best gay bar is on Chester Street if that's your cup of tea as well.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:36 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote: Also, the best gay bar is on Chester Street if that's your cup of tea as well.

THE best gay bar? There is more than one in Chambana? thats surprising. I went to boltini and the blind pig when i visited, both ok places to hang out. I'm more concerned with the crowd, while im very young (in comparison), I dont want crazy undergrads running around and ruining my fun time. But oh well, who knows how much time we will be able to even go to these places.

I am thinking of hosting a pool party/bbq (ill be living in the village) before class start @20.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”