Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
anthropologieaddict
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby anthropologieaddict » Fri May 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Yeah sorry, but I think if they end up with even a single seat it will be given to someone from the waitlist who they at least liked enough the first time around to keep in consideration. The truth hurts, but I wouldn't hold my breath. .

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 pm

mountaintime wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Pless wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Dean Pless,

Forgive me for asking again, but has there been any movement on the people under a 2nd review on appeal? Are you still expecting to have them done before or by the end of May? I'm very anxious and excited to hear a decision. Thanks.


By the end of next week. Promise.


Promise broken :(


Do you really think he's going to admit someone who was rejected the first time around? His class is full and he has a waitlist full of (presumably) more-qualified applicants to choose from in case a spot does open. Just being honest...



I don't think you understand. I didn't get an answer, period. No denial, no waitlist, no acceptance, no nothing. All I wanted was a decision, I was promised one by the end of this week, and that didn't happen. Believe me, I know full well that my chances are tiny at best, but that doesn't change the fact that I was supposed to hear definitively what the decision is as Dean Pless promised.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Regionality » Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
mountaintime wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Pless wrote:
By the end of next week. Promise.


Promise broken :(


Do you really think he's going to admit someone who was rejected the first time around? His class is full and he has a waitlist full of (presumably) more-qualified applicants to choose from in case a spot does open. Just being honest...



I don't think you understand. I didn't get an answer, period. No denial, no waitlist, no acceptance, no nothing. All I wanted was a decision, I was promised one by the end of this week, and that didn't happen. Believe me, I know full well that my chances are tiny at best, but that doesn't change the fact that I was supposed to hear definitively what the decision is as Dean Pless promised.


How come you never got a decision? What is the "appeal" process? When can someone request an appeal? What are you appealing?

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 28, 2010 9:03 pm

I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby JCougar » Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


In the real world, people are busy and have 100 different things on their plate. They can't possibly keep all the promises they make, even if they are well meaning. As a lawyer, you will eventually come to realize that. And you will realize that you can't possibly keep all the promises you make either. So you learn to be patient and forgiving, instead of being demanding -- which only escalates conflict and drives people away from you, and is unlikely to get you what you want anyway.

IMHO, you are coming off as very demanding on here. Probably not the kind of student law schools are looking for, and DEFINITELY not the kind of lawyer top firms are looking for. Or any firm, for that matter. Just learn to be patient and considerate.

hth

User avatar
sixburgher
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sixburgher » Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


You may think this, but you're also the one broadcasting your personal circumstances on a public forum.

The bottom line is that you are asking for a favor, so you have to be humble as pie. Honestly I'm not sure why the admissions appeal option exists, but be happy you still have a chance.

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 am

Ok ok ok, point well taken. I shouldn't have brought it up, just should have kept it to myself and sent UIUC a private message asking for an update. Dean Pless, you're great on here, my bad. Next time I'll let it go, because I know these admissions offices are hectic and my application certainly isn't anything special. That is all.

User avatar
one&only
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:12 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby one&only » Sat May 29, 2010 10:47 am

sixburgher wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


You may think this, but you're also the one broadcasting your personal circumstances on a public forum.

The bottom line is that you are asking for a favor, so you have to be humble as pie. Honestly I'm not sure why the admissions appeal option exists, but be happy you still have a chance.


He isn't asking for a favor. He should get and will get a decision like we all did. He might even get it today, which would still be in the time period promised by the Admissions Dean.

If not, he might just have to wait a while like we all had to. I think Illinois handles the admissions process really well.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 29, 2010 11:54 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


Some more unsolicited advice, since those above already made you realize what you did incorrectly: before you retaliate, make sure you were attacked in the first place. My above post was an attempt at being helpful. I must have gone through a half dozen more asinine iterations before deciding to be nice.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Regionality » Sat May 29, 2010 3:10 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal). They processed the appeal as I asked, everything went through fine. However, I was promised a final-final decision by today and received none.


As strange as it may seem, the world does not revolve around you. Send Illinois a polite reminder, and in the future don't call out someone who has the power to radically alter your future in a public forum.


Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


Some more unsolicited advice, since those above already made you realize what you did incorrectly: before you retaliate, make sure you were attacked in the first place. My above post was an attempt at being helpful. I must have gone through a half dozen more asinine iterations before deciding to be nice.


Your advice may have been good, and it may have been warranted, but it came with pretty insulting sarcasm...I doubt this guy thinks the world revolves around him, and to imply it would seem strange to him that such is the case is to practically accuse him of arrogance and narcissism. I'm sure his only mistake was asking for an update on a public forum regarding a unique situation that applies to hardly anyone else. A 9 point bump in an LSAT score would make me regret sending in my apps early and hope for a second look from schools, though I doubt Illinois will let him in considering all the folks that are waitlisted.

I would have taken offense to the tone of your advice.

User avatar
sixburgher
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sixburgher » Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 pm

"I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal)."

"He isn't asking for a favor. He should get and will get a decision like we all did. He might even get it today, which would still be in the time period promised by the Admissions Dean."


What do you call asking for an appeal after being rejected? He got a decision in December, and any consideration past that is a special circumstance.

FWIW he got a great score on the retake and I hope everything works out for him, it just might take some time.


(Edited for insane font formatting abuse)
Last edited by sixburgher on Sat May 29, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Regionality » Sat May 29, 2010 3:24 pm

sixburgher wrote:I was rejected back in December, but in February I re-took the LSAT and improved 9 points. So I decided to send them a letter asking for another review of my application (the appeal).

He isn't asking for a favor. He should get and will get a decision like we all did. He might even get it today, which would still be in the time period promised by the Admissions Dean.


What do you call asking for an appeal after being rejected? He got a decision in December, and any consideration past that is a special circumstance.

FWIW he got a great score on the retake and I hope everything works out for him, it just might take some time.


Apparently Illinois has a recently created appeal process that they just implemented...so it's actually built into their admissions process now for circumstances like this, perhaps?

User avatar
sixburgher
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sixburgher » Sat May 29, 2010 3:30 pm

That's a fair point, but who knows what the standard time for review in these cases would be? I would imagine the appeal candidate is more like someone on the wait list than a regular decision candidate, meaning that you can't expect a "standard" turnaround for review and decision.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 am

Regionality wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


Some more unsolicited advice, since those above already made you realize what you did incorrectly: before you retaliate, make sure you were attacked in the first place. My above post was an attempt at being helpful. I must have gone through a half dozen more asinine iterations before deciding to be nice.


Your advice may have been good, and it may have been warranted, but it came with pretty insulting sarcasm...I doubt this guy thinks the world revolves around him, and to imply it would seem strange to him that such is the case is to practically accuse him of arrogance and narcissism. I'm sure his only mistake was asking for an update on a public forum regarding a unique situation that applies to hardly anyone else. A 9 point bump in an LSAT score would make me regret sending in my apps early and hope for a second look from schools, though I doubt Illinois will let him in considering all the folks that are waitlisted.

I would have taken offense to the tone of your advice.


If your first reaction to a disappointment or a setback is to call someone out in a public forum, I hope I might be forgiven in detecting some degree of narcissism and entitlement in that action. Maybe I'm harsh; maybe my work experience has left me with a sharp dislike for squeaky wheels.

Either way if offense was taken, I'm sorry. I've told a lot of people that the world doesn't revolve around them. Maybe that's why I'm such a social success story.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Regionality » Sun May 30, 2010 2:01 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:
Regionality wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Nobody is assigning blame here. The Dean is nice enough to even communicate with us on here, I'm not angry or acting selfishly. I also love the tough guy sarcastic comments on here, as if you actually know anything about anything. Good for you, buddy, and thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to ignore it.


Some more unsolicited advice, since those above already made you realize what you did incorrectly: before you retaliate, make sure you were attacked in the first place. My above post was an attempt at being helpful. I must have gone through a half dozen more asinine iterations before deciding to be nice.


Your advice may have been good, and it may have been warranted, but it came with pretty insulting sarcasm...I doubt this guy thinks the world revolves around him, and to imply it would seem strange to him that such is the case is to practically accuse him of arrogance and narcissism. I'm sure his only mistake was asking for an update on a public forum regarding a unique situation that applies to hardly anyone else. A 9 point bump in an LSAT score would make me regret sending in my apps early and hope for a second look from schools, though I doubt Illinois will let him in considering all the folks that are waitlisted.

I would have taken offense to the tone of your advice.


If your first reaction to a disappointment or a setback is to call someone out in a public forum, I hope I might be forgiven in detecting some degree of narcissism and entitlement in that action. Maybe I'm harsh; maybe my work experience has left me with a sharp dislike for squeaky wheels.

Either way if offense was taken, I'm sorry. I've told a lot of people that the world doesn't revolve around them. Maybe that's why I'm such a social success story.


Ok...it seems ironic though for you to say that. All anyone does on these forums is call each other out...either for being wrong, or illogical, or acting self-entitled, or acting irresponsibly, or you name it. Everyone hides behind a veil of anonymity on these forums so the calling out can be even harsher, ruder and more cutthroat than ANYONE would ever act in real life, amongst real people, with real identities. It's always shocking when real interaction takes place between a non-anonymous persons, and I find it sad that people hold different standards between anonymous reactions and non-anonymous reactions.

We are all about to be potentially influential, wealthy, well-respected professionals, yet the [low] level of discourse on this forum is astounding...

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby traehekat » Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 am

Regionality wrote:We are all about to be potentially influential, wealthy, well-respected professionals, yet the [low] level of discourse on this forum is astounding...


Speak for yourself. I'm going to law school to work at Starbucks.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:51 am

Regionality wrote:
Ok...it seems ironic though for you to say that. All anyone does on these forums is call each other out...either for being wrong, or illogical, or acting self-entitled, or acting irresponsibly, or you name it. Everyone hides behind a veil of anonymity on these forums so the calling out can be even harsher, ruder and more cutthroat than ANYONE would ever act in real life, amongst real people, with real identities. It's always shocking when real interaction takes place between a non-anonymous persons, and I find it sad that people hold different standards between anonymous reactions and non-anonymous reactions.

We are all about to be potentially influential, wealthy, well-respected professionals, yet the [low] level of discourse on this forum is astounding...


Well, that's the internet for you.

And in a way, many people come to TLS to be judged, so I don't think it surprising that we oblige.

User avatar
Pless
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Pless » Mon May 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Appeal decisions are mailed, not emailed. Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.

User avatar
windycity
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby windycity » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi Dean Pless:

I have a macbook and am wondering if I could get by wihtout having to buy a PC. I have seen conflicting advice about this in the ask-a-1L thread and would really appreciate knowing for sure. Do I absolutely need to buy a PC in order to take the exams ...or for any other reason? Thank you!

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:57 pm

windycity wrote:Hi Dean Pless:

I have a macbook and am wondering if I could get by wihtout having to buy a PC. I have seen conflicting advice about this in the ask-a-1L thread and would really appreciate knowing for sure. Do I absolutely need to buy a PC in order to take the exams ...or for any other reason? Thank you!


+1

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Chupavida » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Chupavida » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:38 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby downstream » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Is it safe to say that there probably won't be any waitlist activity?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barelyouthere, Christinabruin, Google [Bot] and 13 guests