Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JCougar

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby JCougar » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Yup. Sucked the wind right out of me. I'm staying on until the first day of class though. I will not give up.

The scholarship notification is what really hurt. Seeing people with numbers close to mine get in and get $20,000/year scholarships gave me high hopes. But I guess that's what happens when you panic screw up on the LSAT twice and don't reach your target score until February. I knew applying late would hurt me, but never thought it would be this bad. I wish I were young enough and had a good enough job to justify waiting a year and applying early this coming fall. I'm still holding out hope though. Illinois has been wonderful and transparent about this entire process.

This cycle continues to mystify me. Applicants aren't up very much, but it seems like the credentials of applicants are. The number of people that took the LSAT was up significantly, though, so perhaps more and more people are just retaking until they get a high score, and those that don't have higher scores simply are not applying (probably a smart thing to do, and this is pretty much the advice that TLS hands out on a daily basis). At this point last year, there was significant movement off both Illinois' and WUSTL's waitlists. WUSTL doesn't seem to need high LSATs yet. Illinois doesn't seem to need anybody.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

What did the email say? I'm not WL but I'm curious.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 25, 2010 3:41 pm

webbylu87 wrote:What did the email say? I'm not WL but I'm curious.

Class is full even after the second seat deposit deadline. Scholarship money will probably not be available to those taken of the WL. WL offers will be handed out on a one-to-one basis as people withdraw over the summer.

Probably Illinois' rise in the rankings helped raise yield this year.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:55 pm

JCougar wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:What did the email say? I'm not WL but I'm curious.

Class is full even after the second seat deposit deadline. Scholarship money will probably not be available to those taken of the WL. WL offers will be handed out on a one-to-one basis as people withdraw over the summer.

Probably Illinois' rise in the rankings helped raise yield this year.

Aw, geez. I'm sorry to hear that for those on the WL.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry to hear about the people on the waitlist. :( Best of luck to those of you who are riding it out.

I've got a question though for those who are going to Illinois next year. What should I be doing? I've sent in both of my deposits. I've been looking at housing and have a trip scheduled in the next couple weeks to pick out an apartment in person. But are there other things I should be doing to prepare? Am I supposed to be filling out Gradplus forms and stuff like that? I really have no idea.

Also, as someone who has never moved cross-country before, any advice for the best way to do it? I have a car. Do I drive the car and tow a trailer? Drive a trailer and tow the car? Drive the car and have everything shipped? I know there's information about this kind of stuff out there, but I was wondering what other students are doing. Thanks in advance!

I think we're waiting on financial aid packages to be finalized (unless I missed something somewhere), at which point you'll be applying for said aid. As for the move across country, I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to do it, but I don't have a ton of stuff anymore. Do you have a bunch of furniture? If not, it seems the cheapest way to go is to rent a uhaul trailer and tow it behind your car, as they don't charge for mileage that way. But it really depends on how much stuff you have.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry to hear about the people on the waitlist. :( Best of luck to those of you who are riding it out.

I've got a question though for those who are going to Illinois next year. What should I be doing? I've sent in both of my deposits. I've been looking at housing and have a trip scheduled in the next couple weeks to pick out an apartment in person. But are there other things I should be doing to prepare? Am I supposed to be filling out Gradplus forms and stuff like that? I really have no idea.

Also, as someone who has never moved cross-country before, any advice for the best way to do it? I have a car. Do I drive the car and tow a trailer? Drive a trailer and tow the car? Drive the car and have everything shipped? I know there's information about this kind of stuff out there, but I was wondering what other students are doing. Thanks in advance!

I think we're waiting on financial aid packages to be finalized (unless I missed something somewhere), at which point you'll be applying for said aid. As for the move across country, I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to do it, but I don't have a ton of stuff anymore. Do you have a bunch of furniture? If not, it seems the cheapest way to go is to rent a uhaul trailer and tow it behind your car, as they don't charge for mileage that way. But it really depends on how much stuff you have.

+1, though I would never trust myself to drive anything larger than an SUV. If I have that much to move, I'll hire someone to move it for me...But if you can do it, this seems like the best way to go!

As for financial aid, NB is right on target: We're waiting for finalized offers and when they arrive we can apply for the loans. The financial aid office has said (at least in Emails and I think in one of the admitted student newsletters) to expect them in June.

mikepb

Postby mikepb » Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Dean Pless,

Any idea when we will get our finalized financial aid offers?

Thanks

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 25, 2010 6:22 pm

blurbz wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

+1, though I would never trust myself to drive anything larger than an SUV. If I have that much to move, I'll hire someone to move it for me...But if you can do it, this seems like the best way to go!

As for financial aid, NB is right on target: We're waiting for finalized offers and when they arrive we can apply for the loans. The financial aid office has said (at least in Emails and I think in one of the admitted student newsletters) to expect them in June.

mikepb wrote:Dean Pless,

Any idea when we will get our finalized financial aid offers?

Thanks

I have no words.

JAdore3

Postby JAdore3 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:

You are probably already aware of this, but check to make sure that the place you are moving into isn't already furnished... almost all apartments in the area are, and in that case you would only need to bring a truck/SUV worth of things and maybe a small trailer. If you are moving into an unfurnished house or apartment, then I would suggest renting a U-Haul (trailer or truck) from wherever you live, and you can find a U-Haul store near Champaign to drop it off. If you have a trailer hitch you can hook a pretty large trailer right to your own car, otherwise you may have to drive the U-Haul truck there and attach a vehicle trailer for your car. http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/?src=body

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue May 25, 2010 7:41 pm

JCougar wrote:Yup. Sucked the wind right out of me. I'm staying on until the first day of class though. I will not give up.

The scholarship notification is what really hurt. Seeing people with numbers close to mine get in and get $20,000/year scholarships gave me high hopes. But I guess that's what happens when you panic screw up on the LSAT twice and don't reach your target score until February. I knew applying late would hurt me, but never thought it would be this bad. I wish I were young enough and had a good enough job to justify waiting a year and applying early this coming fall. I'm still holding out hope though. Illinois has been wonderful and transparent about this entire process.

This cycle continues to mystify me. Applicants aren't up very much, but it seems like the credentials of applicants are. The number of people that took the LSAT was up significantly, though, so perhaps more and more people are just retaking until they get a high score, and those that don't have higher scores simply are not applying (probably a smart thing to do, and this is pretty much the advice that TLS hands out on a daily basis). At this point last year, there was significant movement off both Illinois' and WUSTL's waitlists. WUSTL doesn't seem to need high LSATs yet. Illinois doesn't seem to need anybody.

I feel your pain. I'm withdrawing in a couple weeks if I don't hear anything...can't stay on it much longer. I have a fiancé that has to start looking for a job in the area I go to school in so the wait is absolutely agonizing.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 pm

as stars burn wrote:
JCougar wrote:Yup. Sucked the wind right out of me. I'm staying on until the first day of class though. I will not give up.

I feel your pain. I'm withdrawing in a couple weeks if I don't hear anything...can't stay on it much longer. I have a fiancé that has to start looking for a job in the area I go to school in so the wait is absolutely agonizing.

yea that's definitely a flexibility-reducing situation. I'd be surprised if there's any action in the next couple of weeks...just because things move slower than that when talking about people dropping out over the summer. Not even ONE spot!!! I wonder if that means they are overcommitted? Or did they just NAIL it on the # of initial offers perfectly? If so, well done Mr. Pless. Well done.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Regionality wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

yea that's definitely a flexibility-reducing situation. I'd be surprised if there's any action in the next couple of weeks...just because things move slower than that when talking about people dropping out over the summer. Not even ONE spot!!! I wonder if that means they are overcommitted? Or did they just NAIL it on the # of initial offers perfectly? If so, well done Mr. Pless. Well done.

Yeah, I don't expect any movement either. UIUC was my #1 choice, but I'm happy at the school I will most likely be at in the Fall with a scholarship :) There's always hope though, but I have another person to think about besides myself too, which is hard.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Both seat deposits are in... Looking forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

In the meantime, can someone link me to the official Facebook group (if there is one)?

Thanks.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 am

JAdore3 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

You are probably already aware of this, but check to make sure that the place you are moving into isn't already furnished... almost all apartments in the area are, and in that case you would only need to bring a truck/SUV worth of things and maybe a small trailer. If you are moving into an unfurnished house or apartment, then I would suggest renting a U-Haul (trailer or truck) from wherever you live, and you can find a U-Haul store near Champaign to drop it off. If you have a trailer hitch you can hook a pretty large trailer right to your own car, otherwise you may have to drive the U-Haul truck there and attach a vehicle trailer for your car. http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/?src=body

I've done it once, and will be doing it again at the end of July. I rented a truck with car hauler, but be sure to get the whole car trailer for the truck because it's better on your car. That is, of course, assuming that you will be bringing furniture. If not, then go with the whole car towing small trailer thing if you need it. I had good luck with Penske last time. Does anyone have any suggestions for good prices NY to IL?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:Both seat deposits are in... Looking forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

In the meantime, can someone link me to the official Facebook group (if there is one)?

Thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 342&ref=ts

It's not an official group, but it has 63 people in it!

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

We really need to build up the FB group's numbers. Tell your friends and neighbors.

windycity

Postby windycity » Wed May 26, 2010 11:39 am

Will there ever be an official fb group? Just curious.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 pm

(Unless Dean Pless starts another group) The existing one is hereby announced to be the only official FB group for the University of Illinois College of Law class of 2013. And now that the formalities are out of the way, please join, we are anxious to meet the rest of the class.

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 pm

You should be training your body for the spike in caffeine intake and the decrease in sleep hours, and train for the softball teams.

I was under the impression that even the loans are handled through the school financial aid office, so there's no need to shop for loans outside...But then I might be wrong, better check.

You should get quotes for all of your options. I'm moving from California and for me it was cheaper to ship my stuff, but I rented a furnished studio.

It's hard to accept that there's nothing left to write/study/fill out/send/etc...

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I am expecting a final decision today on my appeal. What time of day does UIUC tend to send out decision emails?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 pm

I found the links on this page to be pretty interesting. It's about Dean Smith taking part in a NALP roundtable about the future of legal hiring. From the articles that are attached, it looks like he played a significant role in driving the discussion...

http://www.law.illinois.edu/prospective ... sp?id=1129

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 pm

blurbz wrote:I found the links on this page to be pretty interesting. It's about Dean Smith taking part in a NALP roundtable about the future of legal hiring. From the articles that are attached, it looks like he played a significant role in driving the discussion...

http://www.law.illinois.edu/prospective ... sp?id=1129

Awesome, thanks.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Pless wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Dean Pless,

Forgive me for asking again, but has there been any movement on the people under a 2nd review on appeal? Are you still expecting to have them done before or by the end of May? I'm very anxious and excited to hear a decision. Thanks.

By the end of next week. Promise.

Promise broken :(

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Pless wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Dean Pless,

Forgive me for asking again, but has there been any movement on the people under a 2nd review on appeal? Are you still expecting to have them done before or by the end of May? I'm very anxious and excited to hear a decision. Thanks.

By the end of next week. Promise.

Promise broken :(

Do you really think he's going to admit someone who was rejected the first time around? His class is full and he has a waitlist full of (presumably) more-qualified applicants to choose from in case a spot does open. Just being honest...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”