Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
as stars burn

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby as stars burn » Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 pm

TCS wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:
darklighter13 wrote:My WL letter got caught up in gmail's spam filter. It thought it was phishing for personal info.

But yeah, 2nd review = WL, apparently.

It seems like the UIUC WL is relatively hopeful. From what Dean Pless has said, they will definitely be pulling people from the WL, so that's good news. I'm also on the ND WL and we got an email saying something along the lines of "we probably won't pull anyone from the WL, and if we do, it probably won't be you."

Reading this made me feel better. I'm on UIUC's waitlist now, and I remain super hopeful...and I keep praying to get off.

LOCIs are more effective than prayer.

Already sent a LOCI at the beginning of April =D

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:My status changed to "Hold for Second Review" today. Anyone else in the same boat or care to explain?? :oops:

I got it on 5/3 also..... :roll:

expungemalice

Postby expungemalice » Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 pm

will all initial reviews applications still be completed today? how does UIUC notify?

folgers

Postby folgers » Fri May 07, 2010 2:08 pm

raperez129 wrote:
frecklesmclean0002 wrote:My status changed to "Hold for Second Review" today. Anyone else in the same boat or care to explain?? :oops:

I got it on 5/3 also..... :roll:

Same here. WL on 5/3 via email.

frecklesmclean0002

Postby frecklesmclean0002 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 pm

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

I got that back in January. It means you're on the WL.

YAY!!!! Thanks!!!

I haven't received any official WL letters (snail mail or email) should I be worried???

rmatha

Postby rmatha » Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet?

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:09 pm

rmatha wrote:Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet?

Nope, but I kind of what to hear some movement of any kind. Dean Pless has been a bit MIA, I guess they are busy doing something else or there are really NO NEWS. Anyhow, for those who are accepted, dont forget to join the facebook group. I know how creepy this might sound, but I kind of what to know who lives close to me so I can meet them before we get there.

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

Wanted to give you all a quick update on the wait list. I won't be making any additional offers until after May 21st, our second deposit deadline. I will send out an official update in the next day or so. We have finished our initial review on all 1st year JD applicants. I am happy to answer any general questions here and as always you may email me directly with personal questions at pless@law.illinois.edu.

In other news, the University has just named its next President. http://www.uillinois.edu/PresidentAnnouncement/

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

Pless wrote:Wanted to give you all a quick update on the wait list. I won't be making any additional offers until after May 21st, our second deposit deadline.

Yikes!

Is that normal? Does this change your assessment of waitlist activity? Dare I ask?

Pless

Postby Pless » Wed May 12, 2010 12:08 pm

JCougar wrote:
Pless wrote:Wanted to give you all a quick update on the wait list. I won't be making any additional offers until after May 21st, our second deposit deadline.

Yikes!

Is that normal? Does this change your assessment of waitlist activity? Dare I ask?

We had a late surge in deposits in the last hours before our deposit deadline. At this point we are full, but I expect that people will drop out over time. It doesn't appear that there will be as much WL activity as I originally thought.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed May 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Pless wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Yikes!

We had a late surge in deposits in the last hours before our deposit deadline. At this point we are full, but I expect that people will drop out over time. It doesn't appear that there will be as much WL activity as I originally thought.

Aw, my heart just broke in two. I was really hoping to get off the waitlist, but it looks like I'm going to have to let Illinois go sometime soon if I don't hear anything by June 8th :( Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am

as stars burn wrote:
Pless wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Yikes!

Aw, my heart just broke in two. I was really hoping to get off the waitlist, but it looks like I'm going to have to let Illinois go sometime soon if I don't hear anything by June 8th :( Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

That's sad, good luck with the wedding.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 am

Pless wrote:Wanted to give you all a quick update on the wait list. I won't be making any additional offers until after May 21st, our second deposit deadline. I will send out an official update in the next day or so. We have finished our initial review on all 1st year JD applicants. I am happy to answer any general questions here and as always you may email me directly with personal questions at pless@law.illinois.edu.

In other news, the University has just named its next President. http://www.uillinois.edu/PresidentAnnouncement/

Dean Pless,

When should those people who appealed their initial decision expect to hear something? I was informed that my file would be reviewed again in April, but I wasn't told when a final-final decision might come. Would the end of May be a reasonable time by which to expect something? Thanks.

Pless

Postby Pless » Thu May 13, 2010 11:24 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Dean Pless,

When should those people who appealed their initial decision expect to hear something? I was informed that my file would be reviewed again in April, but I wasn't told when a final-final decision might come. Would the end of May be a reasonable time by which to expect something? Thanks.

The appeal process is new this year and we are still working out the kinks in the system. End of May is reasonable and I hope to beat that.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am

Dean Pless: When re-evaluating applicants off the waitlist, what are some of the things you're going to be looking for this year? I've read your past interviews on TLS, and I know you've said it varies from year to year based on what the school needs that particular year. Do applicants that send in a LOCI stand out? Would you say applicants with borderline or below 25th percentile numbers have absolutely no chance of getting off the waitlist? Thanks in advance :)

edited for spelling.

toppercentile

Postby toppercentile » Sat May 15, 2010 4:25 pm

as stars burn wrote:Dean Pless: When re-evaluating applicants off the waitlist, what are some of the things you're going to be looking for this year? I've read your past interviews on TLS, and I know you've said it varies from year to year based on what the school needs that particular year. Do applicants that send in a LOCI stand out? Would you say applicants with borderline or below 25th percentile numbers have absolutely no chance of getting off the waitlist? Thanks in advance :)

edited for spelling.

Also, Dean Pless, any clue as to whether the waitlist will get some movement soon?

Thanks!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat May 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Dean Pless,

Should anyone getting off the waitlist expect any sort of merit aide? Or is this completely out of the question?

Do out-of-staters get considered more favorably for aide to make up the difference in tuition rates?

Thanks!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 am

MBZags wrote:https://login.express.cites.uiuc.edu/

May 17th. :)

I waited, excitedly, for this and it seems that it actually does not work for graduate students yet...

Anyone have any success setting up @illinois.edu email accounts yet?

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:54 am

blurbz wrote:

I waited, excitedly, for this and it seems that it actually does not work for graduate students yet...

nope, I wasnt able to do it either.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Regionality wrote:Dean Pless,
Should anyone getting off the waitlist expect any sort of merit aide? Or is this completely out of the question?
Do out-of-staters get considered more favorably for aide to make up the difference in tuition rates?
Thanks!

It happens, depends on a whole host of factors though. I will be sending out an update to everyone on the wait list later today. At this point I don't expect any movement on this list this week.

Paul

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Chupavida wrote:
cr073137 wrote:
blurbz wrote:

nope, I wasnt able to do it either.

You can log in with your netid and password. You should have gotten an email about setting up a password for your university accts.

Yes, I have a netid and password that allows me to access a number of things on the Illinois.edu website, but I still can not access the Email. Anyone else?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 pm

blurbz wrote:Yes, I have a netid and password that allows me to access a number of things on the Illinois.edu website, but I still can not access the Email. Anyone else?

I believe I saw something somewhere saying this wasn't activated until much later.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 17, 2010 1:04 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
blurbz wrote:Yes, I have a netid and password that allows me to access a number of things on the Illinois.edu website, but I still can not access the Email. Anyone else?

I believe I saw something somewhere saying this wasn't activated until much later.

Yeah, looking back at the Email we got, it sounds like it's not active until aound orientation. Dean Pless (or anyone else), do you know if there is any way around this? I'd like to set up everything Illinois related (housing etc) with my law school Email to keep everything in the same place...

I know I can set up a Gmail or similar account, but I prefer to use school email for non-personal business.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

blurbz wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Yeah, looking back at the Email we got, it sounds like it's not active until aound orientation. Dean Pless (or anyone else), do you know if there is any way around this? I'd like to set up everything Illinois related (housing etc) with my law school Email to keep everything in the same place...
I know I can set up a Gmail or similar account, but I prefer to use school email for non-personal business.

There isn't. This is a campus policy and not something controlled by the College of Law.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”