Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
primusux

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby primusux » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am

Fingers crossed for those decisions today...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Dean Pless:

How did Illinois achieve such a high response rate for your salary/employment survey?

As I am examining placement statistics, a few of your competitior schools admittedly had trouble getting responses from students in PI or lower-paying government jobs, thus skewing the reported salary data higher. One of these schools I talked to cautioned me about their own employment statistics, saying that it was very difficult for them to get people making lower salaries to report what they were making. They were very open about their response rates being higher among those with top firm jobs.

Another of your regional competitors dodged my questions about response rates, and their class of 2009 salary survey data simply does not jive with their NLJ 250 placement stats reported by NALP. When I asked a more pointed question to their career services office about the percentage of students reporting their salaries, they told me that that information was not available.

It seems that Illinois has gone out of its way to be honest about these statistics, but I was also wondering what Illinois was doing to get so many students at the low end of the salary spectrum to respond. Your overall response rate is nothing short of excellent, and I think your regional competitors could learn from you.

Pless

Postby Pless » Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm

JCougar wrote:Dean Pless:

How did Illinois achieve such a high response rate for your salary/employment survey?

As I am examining placement statistics, a few of your competitior schools admittedly had trouble getting responses from students in PI or lower-paying government jobs, thus skewing the reported salary data higher. One of these schools I talked to cautioned me about their own employment statistics, saying that it was very difficult for them to get people making lower salaries to report what they were making. They were very open about their response rates being higher among those with top firm jobs.

Another of your regional competitors dodged my questions about response rates, and their class of 2009 salary survey data simply does not jive with their NLJ 250 placement stats reported by NALP. When I asked a more pointed question to their career services office about the percentage of students reporting their salaries, they told me that that information was not available.

It seems that Illinois has gone out of its way to be honest about these statistics, but I was also wondering what Illinois was doing to get so many students at the low end of the salary spectrum to respond. Your overall response rate is nothing short of excellent, and I think your regional competitors could learn from you.

I think the response rate is all about the relationship you build with the students over the three years (not just as they are graduating) and persistence. A lot of people in this building are working with the graduating students helping them with their job search and through these interactions we gather a good amount of data. If you only seem to care about a student when it comes time to report a number I don't think they will be very receptive to your questions. It has to be something that is part of the culture for three years.

dspit

Postby dspit » Mon May 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Is Dean Pless serious? Wow. I have to get off the wait list! :D

lawschoolornothing

Postby lawschoolornothing » Mon May 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Has anyone has been In Review received the decision email today? Thanks.

primusux

Postby primusux » Mon May 03, 2010 4:33 pm

nothing here...still hopeful

primusux

Postby primusux » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Just as I hit submit on that....dinged via email. Wow, not even a waitlist. :(
Last edited by primusux on Mon May 03, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njc08

Postby njc08 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 pm

dinged via email...totally depressed now... :cry:

autoding

Postby autoding » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Dinged...........somewhat surprised.

njc08

Postby njc08 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 pm

autoding wrote:Dinged...........somewhat surprised.

me too...now hope my WUSL waitlist turns out good...

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm

For anyone who has received an e-mail yet, has your status checker changed?

expungemalice

Postby expungemalice » Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Is Illinois still sending out acceptances or just dings and waitlists?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear about the dings. I think, from what Pless has said, when you apply really does make a significant difference. Of course, that does absolutely nothing to dull the pain.

Best of luck to you.

letsgo

Postby letsgo » Mon May 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Pless wrote:
JCougar wrote:Dean Pless:

I think the response rate is all about the relationship you build with the students over the three years (not just as they are graduating) and persistence. A lot of people in this building are working with the graduating students helping them with their job search and through these interactions we gather a good amount of data. If you only seem to care about a student when it comes time to report a number I don't think they will be very receptive to your questions. It has to be something that is part of the culture for three years.

Wow. Dean Pless, you surely are a superstar.

frecklesmclean0002

Postby frecklesmclean0002 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

My status changed to "Hold for Second Review" today. Anyone else in the same boat or care to explain?? :oops:

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:My status changed to "Hold for Second Review" today. Anyone else in the same boat or care to explain?? :oops:

I got that back in January. It means you're on the WL.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Mon May 03, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or post hear so I'll probably do both.

Does anyone have a good resource for finding external scholarships for UIUC law students? I have been trying to find a way to make school more afordable and any information would be a great help.

Please pm me if you do.

Thank you.

frecklesmclean0002

Postby frecklesmclean0002 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:50 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
frecklesmclean0002 wrote:My status changed to "Hold for Second Review" today. Anyone else in the same boat or care to explain?? :oops:

I got that back in January. It means you're on the WL.

YAY!!!! Thanks!!!

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:09 am

My WL letter got caught up in gmail's spam filter. It thought it was phishing for personal info.

But yeah, 2nd review = WL, apparently.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 am

darklighter13 wrote:My WL letter got caught up in gmail's spam filter. It thought it was phishing for personal info.

It seems like the UIUC WL is relatively hopeful. From what Dean Pless has said, they will definitely be pulling people from the WL, so that's good news. I'm also on the ND WL and we got an email saying something along the lines of "we probably won't pull anyone from the WL, and if we do, it probably won't be you."

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
I'm also on the ND WL and we got an email saying something along the lines of "we probably won't pull anyone from the WL, and if we do, it probably won't be you."

That really hurts. But it is better than my William&Mary and Fordham WLs, they don't even bother to send us an email telling what's going on. And Fordham's deposit day is April 15........

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
darklighter13 wrote:My WL letter got caught up in gmail's spam filter. It thought it was phishing for personal info.

It seems like the UIUC WL is relatively hopeful. From what Dean Pless has said, they will definitely be pulling people from the WL, so that's good news. I'm also on the ND WL and we got an email saying something along the lines of "we probably won't pull anyone from the WL, and if we do, it probably won't be you."

Reading this made me feel better. I'm on UIUC's waitlist now, and I remain super hopeful...and I keep praying to get off.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed May 05, 2010 5:53 am

as stars burn wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

Reading this made me feel better. I'm on UIUC's waitlist now, and I remain super hopeful...and I keep praying to get off.

LOCIs are more effective than prayer.

jillybeans688

Postby jillybeans688 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 am

I withdrew my acceptance sometime last week. Good luck to everyone here!

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Wed May 05, 2010 11:11 am

Where are you headed j-bean?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”