Illinois 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NancyBotwin

Silver

Re: Illinois 2010!

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:40 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
cr073137 wrote:Does anyone know what is the best way to get to the Law school? I'm flying in from NYC, I was thinking of flying to Chicago and then finding a way down there from there. Any advice? or is anyone going to the ASD driving from chicago to urbana that can give me a ride, I can help out with gas, etc. please PM me.
I'm flying in to Chicago and taking the train down. It's only $13 each way if you get it at the right time, and it runs a few times each day.
How long does it take to get UC?
About 2-ish hours.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 7405732511
It says 5 hours 30, but I think that's the length for all the way to Carbondale.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
cr073137 wrote:Does anyone know what is the best way to get to the Law school? I'm flying in from NYC, I was thinking of flying to Chicago and then finding a way down there from there. Any advice? or is anyone going to the ASD driving from chicago to urbana that can give me a ride, I can help out with gas, etc. please PM me.
I'm flying in to Chicago and taking the train down. It's only $13 each way if you get it at the right time, and it runs a few times each day.
How long does it take to get UC?
About 2-ish hours.
It says 5 hours 30, but I think that's the length for all the way to Carbondale.
Thank You. How far is Union Station from the airport? Is this the best way to get to UC

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote: How long does it take to get UC?
About 2-ish hours.
Thank You. How far is Union Station from the airport? Is this the best way to get to UC[/quote]

An hour-ish on the blue line, and unless you want to rent a car, yes.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:Thank You. How far is Union Station from the airport? Is this the best way to get to UC
I don't know if it's the best way, because I've never been there before, but it seems to be the cheapest way and it's the way I'm doing it.

As for getting to Union Station, that depends on the airport.

From Midway, take the Orange line (I believe there's a walkway or something from the arrivals area to the orange line station:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s ... 13&start=0

From O'Hare, what Holly said.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:Thank You. How far is Union Station from the airport? Is this the best way to get to UC
I don't know if it's the best way, because I've never been there before, but it seems to be the cheapest way and it's the way I'm doing it.

As for getting to Union Station, that depends on the airport.

From Midway, take the Orange line (I believe there's a walkway or something from the arrivals area to the orange line station:

From O'Hare, I'm not sure exactly, but I'm assuming they have some way to get to the MD-W line, and then you'd take that:

Woops, I meant the blue line from O'hare. Then you'd have to walk a little way, but it's not too bad. Transferring to orange would really only save you like 3 blocks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

domeafavor

New

Post by domeafavor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 pm

MBZags wrote:
JayTal wrote:
Geist13 wrote:anyone else just get this 10 lb solid steel jump drive. All I can say is its waaaaay more impressive than WUSTL's.
+1 and its 3 GB bigger :lol:
Holy crap, it's 4 GB? Wow.

How long did it take you guys to get it after you were accepted?

windycity

New

Post by windycity » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 pm

For those going to Champaign tomorrow: If you will be there and want to explore on Thursday night as a group, please feel free to PM me. See you there!

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:About 2-ish hours.
Awesome. I didn't know about this. Thanks, NB!

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 am

Are we expecting another round of decisions this Friday?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 am

musicfor18 wrote:Are we expecting another round of decisions this Friday?
Yup, per Dean Pless, 220 Accepts, 30 WL's, 0 Rejects!

It's going to be a good week as this last group was out of the ordinary exceptional!

j/k but hopeful

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:03 am

I hope to be able to release decisions before 5pm today. I look forward to meeting some of you at the Open House tomorrow.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 am

Dean Pless,

Are Law Students allowed to take classes outside the Law School. Can a student take a class from the Engineering Department?

Thanks

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:15 am

For those heading here for Open House tomorrow I hope you find time to enjoy some of the Unofficial festivities! Good luck to everyone waiting for a decision today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 am

itsmytime10 wrote:Dean Pless,

Are Law Students allowed to take classes outside the Law School. Can a student take a class from the Engineering Department?

Thanks
Absolutely. We have a number of courses that are cross-listed and you take as many of those as you wish. You may also take 6 credit hours of graduate level course and have them count towards the JD. Some of our students also audit undergraduate courses. These will not count towards your degree, but are a great way to brush up on your language skills or just take a class that interests you.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Pless wrote:

Thanks
Absolutely. We have a number of courses that are cross-listed and you take as many of those as you wish. You may also take 6 credit hours of graduate level course and have them count towards the JD. Some of our students also audit undergraduate courses. These will not count towards your degree, but are a great way to brush up on your language skills or just take a class that interests you.
Dean Pless
How is tuittion charged for those courses? Do scholraship cover any of these?
Thanks,

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
Pless wrote:

Thanks
Dean Pless
How is tuittion charged for those courses? Do scholraship cover any of these?
Thanks,
There are no additional costs to take these courses.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. 41 admits, 84 wait list offers and 168 denies. I will be traveling for a portion of next week (Hope to see some of you in DC) and I am not sure how many files I will be reading next week. Once I have that figured out I will let you know. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Haven't heard yet, but obviously, to come to a decision on nearly 300 applicants in 3.5 business days, they must not have looked much beyond the numbers for the majority of the applicants.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:45 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Haven't heard yet, but obviously, to come to a decision on nearly 300 applicants in 3.5 business days, they must not have looked much beyond the numbers for the majority of the applicants.
Actually I read files all weekend and in the evenings as well as during the ten to eleven hours a day I am in the office. I started reviewing this batch on February 26th. We do try to give applicants a quick turnaround on decisions however, usually that is appreciated. At this point in the cycle, after decisions have been made on over 3,300 applications, it becomes very difficult to be admitted.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Haven't heard yet, but obviously, to come to a decision on nearly 300 applicants in 3.5 business days, they must not have looked much beyond the numbers for the majority of the applicants.
I think I'm a testament to the fact the Dean Pless looks beyond numbers. I doubt I would have been admitted, otherwise.

sweet02215

New

Post by sweet02215 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Pless wrote:
Actually I read files all weekend and in the evenings as well as during the ten to eleven hours a day I am in the office. I started reviewing this batch on February 26th. We do try to give applicants a quick turnaround on decisions however, usually that is appreciated. At this point in the cycle, after decisions have been made on over 3,300 applications, it becomes very difficult to be admitted.

They MOST DEFINITELY look beyond numbers. My numbers would not have warranted a waitlist otherwise.. it would have been a straight up rejection. I know for a fact that my file was looked at holistically. Thanks Dean Pless!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Pless wrote:

How refreshing it is to find a Dean of Admissions communicating directly with applicants. You, sir, are amazing.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Dean Pless, you are the man. This constant communication has been really helpful to all of us. I hope I get to meet you this weekend at the open house!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Weak, uninformed comment winner of the day. Congratulations.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

As others have noted, you must have a very uninformed view of the admissions office at UIUC. Dean Pless has been unbelievably helpful and thorough in reviewing both my own application as well as thousands of others. I would hope that you get some more information before you come to such a hasty conclusion.

Further, his presence on this board, something that is not done by many other Admissions offices is a testament to his commitment to a comprehensive and transparent admissions process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”