Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm

nyskidude wrote:Can't wait to visit UIUC in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to ASW? I'm visiting in a few weeks, but the weekend after ASW.

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Can't wait to visit UIUC in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to ASW? I'm visiting in a few weeks, but the weekend after ASW.


I think I am going between the two Open Houses. I am going to be visiting UIUC on Sunday, March 14th. Being in undergrad, I don't really have the time (or the money) to make the specific trips, so I am going to be visiting 4 schools in 6 days over my Spring Break, starting with UIUC. Should be fun. UIUC is looking pretty promising, though (especially if the Vandy and UVA waitlists don't come through this spring/summer).

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 pm

nyskidude wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Can't wait to visit UIUC in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to ASW? I'm visiting in a few weeks, but the weekend after ASW.


I think I am going between the two Open Houses. I am going to be visiting UIUC on Sunday, March 14th. Being in undergrad, I don't really have the time (or the money) to make the specific trips, so I am going to be visiting 4 schools in 6 days over my Spring Break, starting with UIUC. Should be fun. UIUC is looking pretty promising, though (especially if the Vandy and UVA waitlists don't come through this spring/summer).


Haha, that's almost exactly the same as what I'm doing, only I'm just doing 3 schools. I'll be flying from Phoenix to Chicago on the 11th, hanging out there on the 12th, day-tripping it down to UIUC on the 13th, then back up to Chicago for more hanging out and then my NU interview on the 15th, then flying to Minneapolis to visit UMN before heading back home.

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Can't wait to visit UIUC in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to ASW? I'm visiting in a few weeks, but the weekend after ASW.


I think I am going between the two Open Houses. I am going to be visiting UIUC on Sunday, March 14th. Being in undergrad, I don't really have the time (or the money) to make the specific trips, so I am going to be visiting 4 schools in 6 days over my Spring Break, starting with UIUC. Should be fun. UIUC is looking pretty promising, though (especially if the Vandy and UVA waitlists don't come through this spring/summer).


Haha, that's almost exactly the same as what I'm doing, only I'm just doing 3 schools. I'll be flying from Phoenix to Chicago on the 11th, hanging out there on the 12th, day-tripping it down to UIUC on the 13th, then back up to Chicago for more hanging out and then my NU interview on the 15th, then flying to Minneapolis to visit UMN before heading back home.


That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

nyskidude wrote:That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

:shock:

illinilaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby illinilaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I just wanted to put it out there that I'm going to be a peer advisor at your guys open houses. If you have any questions hit me up. Also, you can PM me if you don't want your question all out there in the open.


Good luck with all of your admission cycles.
Last edited by illinilaw on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

:shock:


Me by the end of the trip: :shock: :?: :?

User avatar
Shot007
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Shot007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:56 pm

nateborland wrote:I'm on the chopping block this week... looking forward to the decision on Friday. I'm planning on getting waitlisted, but we'll see!


Lol, I am up this friday too, somehow - strangely feels like a chopping block, especially considering that they will be accepting a lot less people henceforth.

I BELIEVE!

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby MF248 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Does anyone know if the admitted students days are worth going to if you went to UIUC for undergrad & attended the law school days they offered to the undergrad students?

I'm just wondering what perspective I'd actually gain by attending one of these events.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on how worthwhile it is to make a trip out to the UIUC campus if you're on the wait list?

UIUC is my first choice and I want to do anything I can to increase my chances at securing a spot... It's been said that a visit can show admissions how serious your are about matriculation. I'd also love to really get a feel for the academic and social atmosphere, but the thought of falling deeper in love with the idea of attending UIUC and then not getting in leaves a lump in my stomach. Not to mention blowing a few hundred dollars+ that might better be applied towards my first seat deposit elsewhere.

I'm so torn!

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby fl0w » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm

jmhendri wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on how worthwhile it is to make a trip out to the UIUC campus if you're on the wait list?

UIUC is my first choice and I want to do anything I can to increase my chances at securing a spot... It's been said that a visit can show admissions how serious your are about matriculation. I'd also love to really get a feel for the academic and social atmosphere, but the thought of falling deeper in love with the idea of attending UIUC and then not getting in leaves a lump in my stomach. Not to mention blowing a few hundred dollars+ that might better be applied towards my first seat deposit elsewhere.

I'm so torn!


i really feel like you answered your own question. if it is your top choice and you'll do anything to secure a spot.... what's the debate? visit and set up some meetings w/ admissions to express interest etc.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby cubswin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.


That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

cubswin wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.


That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.
+ the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:20 pm

I just got a cool USB drive thing from Illinois in the mail today!

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
cubswin wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.


That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.
+ the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.


Ok, it's set in stone. I have an afternoon/evening/morning to meander around Chicago (any ideas there?) and then I'll spend the next afternoon on my visit.
I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.

sweet02215
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby sweet02215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm

jmhendri wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
cubswin wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.


That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.
+ the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.


Ok, it's set in stone. I have an afternoon/evening/morning to meander around Chicago (any ideas there?) and then I'll spend the next afternoon on my visit.
I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.


Lou Malnati's, Uno & Due, Trattoria Roma,Spacca Napoli, worst case scenario Giordanos Famous Chicago Style Pizza was always good. I also liked the Art Institute of Chicago and the pubs close to Lincoln Park. Oh! and those jumbo margaritas at Tarascas International.

If you get information about housing close to the law school, please share it with me. I am having a hard time looking for apartments on the south end of campus through the Internet.

nateborland
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby nateborland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

sweet02215 wrote:anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/


Absolutely, but I know that either way - things will work out.

jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jman77 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm

nateborland wrote:
sweet02215 wrote:anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/


Absolutely, but I know that either way - things will work out.


Anyone know what time the decisions come out?

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby phoenix323 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Anyone know what time the decisions come out?


Last week they came out around 9:30am.

hth

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

[/quote]That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.[/quote] + the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.[/quote]

Ok, it's set in stone. I have an afternoon/evening/morning to meander around Chicago (any ideas there?) and then I'll spend the next afternoon on my visit.
I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.[/quote]

Lou Malnati's, Uno & Due, Trattoria Roma,Spacca Napoli, worst case scenario Giordanos Famous Chicago Style Pizza was always good. I also liked the Art Institute of Chicago and the pubs close to Lincoln Park. Oh! and those jumbo margaritas at Tarascas International.

If you get information about housing close to the law school, please share it with me. I am having a hard time looking for apartments on the south end of campus through the Internet.[/quote]

Will do... I was planning on doing some housing research. And I'm definitely going to check out some Chicago style pizza, thanks for the suggestions!

User avatar
crombot
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby crombot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Well, after receiving an underwhelming scholarship offer from my other top contender, it seems that UIUC has solidified itself at the top of my list. See you all at ASW! :)

User avatar
tomhaverford
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby tomhaverford » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

crombot wrote:Well, after receiving an underwhelming scholarship offer from my other top contender, it seems that UIUC has solidified itself at the top of my list. See you all at ASW! :)


+1. March 5th here I come!

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

What do you think my chances are with 167/3.7?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”