Illinois 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NancyBotwin

Re: Illinois 2010!

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm

nyskidude wrote:Can't wait to visit UIUC in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to ASW? I'm visiting in a few weeks, but the weekend after ASW.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

I think I am going between the two Open Houses. I am going to be visiting UIUC on Sunday, March 14th. Being in undergrad, I don't really have the time (or the money) to make the specific trips, so I am going to be visiting 4 schools in 6 days over my Spring Break, starting with UIUC. Should be fun. UIUC is looking pretty promising, though (especially if the Vandy and UVA waitlists don't come through this spring/summer).

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 pm

nyskidude wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

I think I am going between the two Open Houses. I am going to be visiting UIUC on Sunday, March 14th. Being in undergrad, I don't really have the time (or the money) to make the specific trips, so I am going to be visiting 4 schools in 6 days over my Spring Break, starting with UIUC. Should be fun. UIUC is looking pretty promising, though (especially if the Vandy and UVA waitlists don't come through this spring/summer).

Haha, that's almost exactly the same as what I'm doing, only I'm just doing 3 schools. I'll be flying from Phoenix to Chicago on the 11th, hanging out there on the 12th, day-tripping it down to UIUC on the 13th, then back up to Chicago for more hanging out and then my NU interview on the 15th, then flying to Minneapolis to visit UMN before heading back home.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Haha, that's almost exactly the same as what I'm doing, only I'm just doing 3 schools. I'll be flying from Phoenix to Chicago on the 11th, hanging out there on the 12th, day-tripping it down to UIUC on the 13th, then back up to Chicago for more hanging out and then my NU interview on the 15th, then flying to Minneapolis to visit UMN before heading back home.

That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

nyskidude wrote:That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

:shock:

illinilaw

Postby illinilaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I just wanted to put it out there that I'm going to be a peer advisor at your guys open houses. If you have any questions hit me up. Also, you can PM me if you don't want your question all out there in the open.

Good luck with all of your admission cycles.
Last edited by illinilaw on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
nyskidude wrote:That sounds like fun! I get to fly out of Burlington (Vermont) on Saturday the 13th to Chicago, take a daytrip to Champaign on the 14th, fly to Columbus on the 15th to so tOSU, back to Burlington the 16th, fly to Madison on the 17th and see UWisconsin, take a greyhound to Iowa City on the 18th, visit U of Iowa on the 19th, take a greyhound back to Madison on the 19th, fly back to Burlington on the 20th and enjoy a day and a half of my spring break before class again on the 22nd.

:shock:

Me by the end of the trip: :shock: :?: :?

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:56 pm

nateborland wrote:I'm on the chopping block this week... looking forward to the decision on Friday. I'm planning on getting waitlisted, but we'll see!

Lol, I am up this friday too, somehow - strangely feels like a chopping block, especially considering that they will be accepting a lot less people henceforth.

I BELIEVE!

MF248

Postby MF248 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Does anyone know if the admitted students days are worth going to if you went to UIUC for undergrad & attended the law school days they offered to the undergrad students?

I'm just wondering what perspective I'd actually gain by attending one of these events.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on how worthwhile it is to make a trip out to the UIUC campus if you're on the wait list?

UIUC is my first choice and I want to do anything I can to increase my chances at securing a spot... It's been said that a visit can show admissions how serious your are about matriculation. I'd also love to really get a feel for the academic and social atmosphere, but the thought of falling deeper in love with the idea of attending UIUC and then not getting in leaves a lump in my stomach. Not to mention blowing a few hundred dollars+ that might better be applied towards my first seat deposit elsewhere.

I'm so torn!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm

jmhendri wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on how worthwhile it is to make a trip out to the UIUC campus if you're on the wait list?

UIUC is my first choice and I want to do anything I can to increase my chances at securing a spot... It's been said that a visit can show admissions how serious your are about matriculation. I'd also love to really get a feel for the academic and social atmosphere, but the thought of falling deeper in love with the idea of attending UIUC and then not getting in leaves a lump in my stomach. Not to mention blowing a few hundred dollars+ that might better be applied towards my first seat deposit elsewhere.

I'm so torn!

i really feel like you answered your own question. if it is your top choice and you'll do anything to secure a spot.... what's the debate? visit and set up some meetings w/ admissions to express interest etc.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.

That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

cubswin wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go. It should be worth it, and at the very least strengthen my LOCI.

That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.
+ the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:20 pm

I just got a cool USB drive thing from Illinois in the mail today!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
cubswin wrote:

+ the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.

Ok, it's set in stone. I have an afternoon/evening/morning to meander around Chicago (any ideas there?) and then I'll spend the next afternoon on my visit.
I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.

sweet02215

Postby sweet02215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm

jmhendri wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Ok, it's set in stone. I have an afternoon/evening/morning to meander around Chicago (any ideas there?) and then I'll spend the next afternoon on my visit.
I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.

Lou Malnati's, Uno & Due, Trattoria Roma,Spacca Napoli, worst case scenario Giordanos Famous Chicago Style Pizza was always good. I also liked the Art Institute of Chicago and the pubs close to Lincoln Park. Oh! and those jumbo margaritas at Tarascas International.

If you get information about housing close to the law school, please share it with me. I am having a hard time looking for apartments on the south end of campus through the Internet.

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

sweet02215 wrote:anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/

Absolutely, but I know that either way - things will work out.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm

nateborland wrote:
sweet02215 wrote:anyone else CRAZY nervous about tomorrow? =/

Absolutely, but I know that either way - things will work out.

Anyone know what time the decisions come out?

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Anyone know what time the decisions come out?

Last week they came out around 9:30am.

hth

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

[/quote]That was what I was going to add. It might (a) make the LOCI easier to write, since you'll have a tangible experience to describe instead of just talking about the school in the abstract and (b) give teeth to your statement of interest.[/quote] + the opportunity to come back to this thread and post a detailed account of your experience for people like me who won't get to visit.[/quote]

I'll be sure to take notes! Let me know if you have specific questions.[/quote]

Lou Malnati's, Uno & Due, Trattoria Roma,Spacca Napoli, worst case scenario Giordanos Famous Chicago Style Pizza was always good. I also liked the Art Institute of Chicago and the pubs close to Lincoln Park. Oh! and those jumbo margaritas at Tarascas International.

If you get information about housing close to the law school, please share it with me. I am having a hard time looking for apartments on the south end of campus through the Internet.[/quote]

Will do... I was planning on doing some housing research. And I'm definitely going to check out some Chicago style pizza, thanks for the suggestions!

crombot

Postby crombot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Well, after receiving an underwhelming scholarship offer from my other top contender, it seems that UIUC has solidified itself at the top of my list. See you all at ASW! :)

tomhaverford

Postby tomhaverford » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

crombot wrote:Well, after receiving an underwhelming scholarship offer from my other top contender, it seems that UIUC has solidified itself at the top of my list. See you all at ASW! :)

+1. March 5th here I come!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

What do you think my chances are with 167/3.7?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”