Illinois 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: Illinois 2010!

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 pm

I have a question for Pless. I've been admitted to Illinois and offered a $30,000 per year scholarship. My wife (who applied concurrently with me) has been waitlisted. I don't have to say that we would greatly prefer to go to school together.

I know that the world doesn't revolve around what I want, but what, if anything, can we do to give her the best possible chance at getting off the waitlist? I'm in the awkward position of having to reject an extremely generous scholarship offer from one of my top choices, something I do not want to do.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

TCS wrote:I have a question for Pless. I've been admitted to Illinois and offered a $30,000 per year scholarship. My wife (who applied concurrently with me) has been waitlisted. I don't have to say that we would greatly prefer to go to school together.

I know that the world doesn't revolve around what I want, but what, if anything, can we do to give her the best possible chance at getting off the waitlist? I'm in the awkward position of having to reject an extremely generous scholarship offer from one of my top choices, something I do not want to do.
I am not dean pless. What I would suggest, however, is visiting the university together and speaking to admissions together. I've personally seen this done successfully in the past. It does, of course, depend on the specifics of your situation.

windycity

New

Post by windycity » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:43 am

Last edited by windycity on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acedeuce

New

Post by Acedeuce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:45 am

Acedeuce wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
MBZags wrote:Did any of you guys happen to snap some pictures of the law school/Urbana-Champaign?
+1
I have a few, I have to run to work shortly, but will try to get them posted tonight. They are nothing that terrific, but I have some pictures of different areas of the law building if that is what you are interested in.

Ok, I"m not that technically savvy (hence law school), and therefore don't know how to post pictures I have. any help?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 am

You can upload them to http://www.imageshack.us and then post the direct link here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

I will be withdrawing my application sometime today or tomorrow. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances. Good luck everyone, Illinois is great.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Wow...wish I found this thread earlier.

Illinois seems like it would be a great choice for me. It's got a lot of options if you are interested in labor law, it seems. It's close to what used to be my home. Unfortunately, my application was held up by my February LSAT score, but I didn't have much of a chance without it. I went complete the first business day after scores were released, so it seems as if their admissions office is on top of things. A week later, and I'm still waiting to go complete everywhere else I applied.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 pm

The next batch of USB drives will be going out next week. We had a little issue with the Chinese New Year and getting the right boxes shipped to us. The drive has a flip book with a lot of information about the College as well as 3 different videos.

Feel free to email me directly with any personal questions. When I am travelling I am not always to check TLS regularly.
Hope to see some of you tonight in DC.

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Just booked my flight for ASW, going to the event in D.C. tonight. Maybe I'll run into some other TLSers there..?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm

I'll be there April 8-10. Anyone have a hotel recommendation?

asu_pat

New

Post by asu_pat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey everyone!

I visited C-U this weekend and snapped a few pictures of Champaign/Urbana. Sorry they aren't very exciting. Normally, I love photography and I take my DSLR everywhere. However, it was cold and raining a lot of the weekend, so I didn't really get many photos. I just snapped a few from the car as we were driving around.

Nevertheless, hopefully they give you a taste of the city. There is seriously some gorgeous architecture here.

Here is the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/plepkows/Ch ... 9500302706

JAdore3

New

Post by JAdore3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 pm

initech wrote:I will be withdrawing my application sometime today or tomorrow. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances. Good luck everyone, Illinois is great.
Did you know that some schools allow you to complete Teach for America without withdrawing your app? Usually they give you 1-2 years to do TFA and they hold a spot for you in that class.

Acedeuce

New

Post by Acedeuce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 pm

MBZags wrote:You can upload them to http://www.imageshack.us and then post the direct link here.
--LinkRemoved--

It says California and Illinois, but these are just my pictures from U of I.

Hope that helps and thanks to Zags for that brilliant solution.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 am

I don't want to out myself too much, but just wanted to say that if you have the opportunity to attend an alumni reception, you really should. I had a great time at the DC reception, met some fantastic alumni, and picked up about 5 business cards.

Do yourself a favor and go if you're thinking about it.

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:23 pm

For anyone going to the April 8-10 ASD, please PM me, I'll be flying in from NYC and I'm having a hard time with how to get down to Urbana. Amtrak times doent coincide with my flight... Also, it if anyone wants to share hotel cost or an alumni can host me (I promise im "normal") that will be great.

prolyphek

New

Post by prolyphek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:26 pm

cr073137 wrote:For anyone going to the April 8-10 ASD, please PM me, I'll be flying in from NYC and I'm having a hard time with how to get down to Urbana. Amtrak times doent coincide with my flight... Also, it if anyone wants to share hotel cost or an alumni can host me (I promise im "normal") that will be great.
Im hoping to attend though I will have to double check to make sure I can book the flights. I called yesterday and you should be able to fly into either CHicago or DC and take a smaller flight to Urbana (the school owns and operates the airport there).

That is what I am planning to do

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

cr073137 wrote:For anyone going to the April 8-10 ASD, please PM me, I'll be flying in from NYC and I'm having a hard time with how to get down to Urbana. Amtrak times doent coincide with my flight... Also, it if anyone wants to share hotel cost or an alumni can host me (I promise im "normal") that will be great.
I'm going out there on the 15th and I'm taking the train down, but using the Illini Shuttle to get back to O'Hare.

http://www.illinishuttle.com/

40$ one way, but much more convenient as far as time and locations. They have several pick up spots right on campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:47 pm

I'll be there April 8-11, can't wait to meet you all! We should all wear secret buttons or something so we can tell who fellow TLSers are (jk...really).

In other news, I attended the event in DC last night. It was great to meet Dean Pless in person finally and get to hear the perspectives of alumni of all ages!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Acedeuce wrote:
MBZags wrote:You can upload them to http://www.imageshack.us and then post the direct link here.
--LinkRemoved--

It says California and Illinois, but these are just my pictures from U of I.

Hope that helps and thanks to Zags for that brilliant solution.
asu_pat wrote:Hey everyone!

I visited C-U this weekend and snapped a few pictures of Champaign/Urbana. Sorry they aren't very exciting. Normally, I love photography and I take my DSLR everywhere. However, it was cold and raining a lot of the weekend, so I didn't really get many photos. I just snapped a few from the car as we were driving around.

Nevertheless, hopefully they give you a taste of the city. There is seriously some gorgeous architecture here.

Here is the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/plepkows/Ch ... 9500302706
Thanks for the pics. If anyone else took pics I would love to see them. (I won't get to visit)

Thanks.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Dean Pless,

Quick question, it seems like you struggle (agonize?) to a degree about whether to admit certain applications. However, do you struggle as much with the reject or waitlist decision? If it's close, do you error with waitlist?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:23 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Dean Pless,

Quick question, it seems like you struggle (agonize?) to a degree about whether to admit certain applications. However, do you struggle as much with the reject or waitlist decision? If it's close, do you error with waitlist?
I would say early on, if I am having trouble deciding I am more likely to make a wait list offer. Later in the cycle I really try to step back and estimate if there is actually a possibility I will be able to admit the person at some point in the cycle. I am less likely to wait list at this point in the year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bananasinpajamas

New

Post by bananasinpajamas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 am

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

So I haven't officially committed to Illinois...But I'm pretty certain that it's where I am going to end up! I'm going back and looking at apartments tomorrow. I'll report back after.

Should we start a group for people who are definitely going to Illinois next year?...Though I'm not POSITIVE, I'm about as close as I can be!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am

Luis Gomez wrote:If anyone else took pics I would love to see them. (I won't get to visit)
I don't have pics yet, but I'm visiting on Saturday and I promise there will be lots of pics. :mrgreen:

darklighter13

New

Post by darklighter13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 am

Not exactly relevant to admissions, but it's a beautiful day in Champaign at the moment, and I'm reminded of how much I love being down here and hope I can stay for law school. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”